HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Topic: Moving to Edmonton May 1st

Old
04-05-2013, 04:10 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
Lota good food options already mentioned but its aways good to check urban spoon or yelp for more options.

the one Event this summer that i say is a must for anybody visiting Edmonton is the Heritage Festival Aug 3 -5 http://heritage-festival.com/
The pizza isn't nearly as good when you're not drunk.

I've heard great things about Buddies on jasper and 118th. Apparently everyone is really friendly and it's a hell of a party.

McDreamy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Festivals!

I am not from Edmonton (get your stones ready, Calgary native here), but one thing Edmonton does better is festivals.

Fringe Fest
Folk Fest
Heritage Fest

Those are the ones I have been to, native Edmontonians should be able to fill out this list for me.
this. especially the Fringe. add the Blues Fest. and the new arts fest on 118ave was surprisingly good.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Perfect_Drug

vCash: 500
I moved away from Edmonton in 96, and I've lived in Vancouver, LA, and now Montreal.

Ummm. For starters your definition of 'Touristy' and an Edmontonians definition of 'Touristy' are COMPLETELY different. There is nothing that compares to the CN Tower in terms of spectacle. What you will get is a lot more 'naturalized' beauty.

It's a hop n' skip away from Banff/Jasper which are AMAZING Places to go in the Summers and Winters.

Jasper and White are happening for 'Edmonton' but coming from a metropolis like TO, it's comparable to Toronto's Grove.

There's an AMAZING food culture in Edmonton. Not nearly as ethnically inspired as Toronto's but there's usually a finalist from Top Chef Canada in the finals, a couple places featured on Eat Street, and the Legendary Lingnan restaurant, that had it's own show on the Food Network:

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/ontv/shows...pisodeid=91633

Also, the Steak is by far the best in the world. It's comparable to the sushi in Vancouver. If you ever move away from Alberta, you are going to realise just how bad the burgers and steaks are everywhere else in comparison.

By comparison you have to remember that Edmonton is a very small town. IMHO it is VERY similar to Ottawa in terms of ammenities, and lifestyle.

Also, most of the guys I know that have moved there and HATED it, were single guys 25-35. Most guys that moved there with their girlfriends/spouses/families love it there.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I moved away from Edmonton in 96, and I've lived in Vancouver, LA, and now Montreal.

By comparison you have to remember that Edmonton is a very small town. IMHO it is VERY similar to Ottawa in terms of ammenities, and lifestyle.
I don't think this is entirely accurate but I agree Edmonton is fairly comparable to Ottawa. Edmonton has a blue collar culture but there are some great festivals as mentioned and a great food experience. I've spent various amounts of time in almost every major Canadian city from Vancouver to Montreal in the past year and spent a bit of time in the states. In terms of food, other than Montreal and with an exception on the sushi in Vancouver, Edmonton is pretty comparable in quality and variety. There's something for everyone and all sorts of price ranges. Good mix of chains and a lot of local fare.

Edmonton isn't the easiest place to meet people and the weather keeps some folks in doors during the winter. It's also pretty much the definition of urban sprawl so it's pretty much exclusively a car city (hopefully that is changing). The downtown is definitely not as touristy as Toronto and doesn't really have the same level of foot traffic you would see there, but I'd say it's very walkable. Same with Whyte avenue. That's really the core of Edmonton, along the river valley with the University.

Some of the downsides of urban sprawl like that come up though. There are lots of cookie cutter shopping centres and complexes. Edmonton is probably the capital of empty lots worldwide. West Edmonton mall is great, and probably one of the few largely touristy areas you'll encounter in Edmonton. Quite a bit of repetitive stores though and stuff you can get else where in the city.

Some of the positives are the great golf courses, most per capita outside of Phoenix in North America (I think?). Great summer, long days = great patio/bbq experience. River valley is a must. And we're close to the mountains.

Just remember, Edmonton is a hockey town first so come with an open mind and you will meet some very knowledgable minds (though they remain absent for the most part from this website). Oh and not all of us are Leaf haters.

I'll probably be moving back to Edmonton over the summer from Ontario myself, so good luck!

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
I don't know if it's really worth mentioning, but there is also the Ex, or Capital X, or K-days, or Klondike days......whatever the hell they call it now.

Typical fair with rides, corn dogs mini doughnuts etc, games to win prizes, and some surprisingly good looking women wondering around...especially when it gets hot outside. Fairly cheap to get in, but the food will cost you an arm and a leg.

Worth a 1 day journey though.

Gotta love the Zipper!

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:14 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Eat a donair...look up the donair thread on this forum for the best places. That is all you need to know, where the good donair shops are.
This! Every time I'm in Edmonton, donairs are a must

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:20 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Edmonton has almost no humidity, especially compared to Toronto.

It makes summer much more pleasant. Winter is much colder than T.O. on paper, but a -15 day in Toronto with the wind coming off the lake feels about the same as a -30 day in Edmonton.

If only there was a joint comparable to Sneaky Dee's.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:26 PM
lordsithis

You guys are amazing, thank you so much for all of this information.

Honestly going to print this entire thread and highlight a bunch of stuff.

Should mention that I'm 20, into electronic music, rock music, metal, indie, so live events/festivals is going to be awesome!

I will be definitely checking out Jasper on a weekend that I'm off.

I'm moving there with 3 other co-workers so it shouldn't be too bad.

We'll be driving in our 3 cars over 4-5 days so we can sight see and stuff on our way there.

Hopefully the Edmonton ladies are nice as well!

lordsithis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Edmonton has almost no humidity, especially compared to Toronto.

It makes summer much more pleasant. Winter is much colder than T.O. on paper, but a -15 day in Toronto with the wind coming off the lake feels about the same as a -30 day in Edmonton.

If only there was a joint comparable to Sneaky Dee's.
100% this. Every one assumes since I'm from Edmonton that I'm used to the cold but this is so important. I was in Toronto in November and I can honestly say that was one of the coldest days I've experienced and it was probably only -10. Meanwhile, I was back in Edmonton for the Christmas holidays and that late december cold snap was not a problem. The wind is one of the worst parts about being on the lake. And I wouldn't mind trading some days where the puddles are up to your knees out here for a few of the colder days in Edmonton.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:44 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsithis View Post
Hello Oilers fans!

Figured this would be a good place to ask some questions about Edmonton!

I'm moving there May 1st until August 31st for a job. I currently live in Toronto.

What are some cool non-touristy places in the city to go? Good bars to catch games, restaurants, etc.

Also, I heard your beer/liquor/gas is cheap as hell (compared to Ontario).

Anyways, love you guys hope you make it into the playoffs
Going from a metropolitan city like TO to the strip mall capital of Canada is going to be quite a change.

You have my sympathy.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:19 AM
lampshade*

Not a bad city. Summers are quite nice. Great festivals, it's sunny out till very late, very nice golf courses and a lot of them. Bring your very effective mosquito repellent though its where most of the mozzies live west of Ontario. With any luck you will get to watch a few leafs playoff games while they battle for the ecf. All the bars have been mentioned above, if the oilers arnt playing not likely to get the game audio but prolly a killer remix of black eye peas.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:40 AM
40oz

Quote:
There's an AMAZING food culture in Edmonton. Not nearly as ethnically inspired as Toronto's but there's usually a finalist from Top Chef Canada in the finals, a couple places featured on Eat Street, and the Legendary Lingnan restaurant, that had it's own show on the Food Network:

Don't forget Koutouki Taverna Greek restaurants, they had their own Food Network show called Family Restaurant. They also catered Gretzky's wedding.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:10 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Going from a metropolitan city like TO to the strip mall capital of Canada is going to be quite a change.

You have my sympathy.
Metropolitan city? omg that is awesome.

Posted by someone located in Calgary.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:36 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Nightlife:

As someone who loves EDM, I hate SET and Studio 107. The music is fine, but the crowd is creepy, *******, obnoxious, whatever words you can think of.

I hate country bars...I have friends that work at Knoxville's and don't be surprised if it closes down sooner than later. I hate The Ranch, but the selection of (really good looking) women there is ridiculous.

The Rack is really popular. Decent amount of girls. Crowd is so-so.

Every bar has it's pros and cons (Some have more cons, like Mixx and Suite 69) but I haven't had a sip of alcohol in four months so my perspective on what makes a bar good has become what makes a bar "tolerable". In general I avoid Jasper Ave once the sun sets now.

And if you're into EDM, Edmonton is the best place in Canada for that. Simply check "Boodang" or "Connected Events" on Facebook for that. There a few smaller shows going on, but if you listen to the right radio shows and check the right places you'll find them. I go to both the massive raves, and the really small low-key ones. There are some great electronic festivals (low-key) ones during you're stay here. If you're interested in getting the sources for these events that I use, shoot me a PM and I'll get you in the know.

Food:

Julio's: Really popular. Food is good. Probably not good enough to off-set the wait time.
Hudson's: An Edmonton staple. Nothing special but the atmosphere during sports is great.
Billiard's Club: Surprisingly good food. Good for a game. Won't ever be as packed as the Rack or Hudson's. That, coupled with the fact I know a few employees makes it my place to go to chill, eat, and watch sports.
Joey (Tomatoes?): Really expensive. Really good. Really hot waitresses. The Oilers get caught eating here a lot. I'm not sure if it is called Joey Tomoatoe's still, or just Joeys, but check it out.
Bourbon Street: The restaurant "district" of West Edmonton Mall has a lot of good food.
Chicago Deep Dish: In terms of pick-up/delivery pizza, this is the best in the city. It is expensive at first glance, but you get a LOT of (really good) Pizza.

Recreation:

Whyte Ave / Strathcona: You'll be in Edmonton while there is a lot of stuff going on. Nothing massive, but if you keep up-to-date this will be the place with widest variety of activities.
University: I'm biased because I live right in-between Whyte and the University, but during the day the University area is a great place to relax (if you're close enough). The campus isn't as nice as Toronto, but the University and immediate surrounding area is the safest place (bar-none) in Edmonton.
West Edmonton Mall: During the summer (and all year in general) I try to appreciate the fact I have access to the biggest mall in North America. A lot of my days off during the summer will be just going by myself or grabbing a few friends. Go hang out, maybe buy one or 2 things, grab a bite to eat, people watch.
Troll Whyte: Last summer, one of my favorite things to do on the weekend was go to the gym, eat, and take a stroll or drive down Whyte at around 7:00PM. It is busy, the atmosphere is cool, tonnes of girls, the heat starts to cool off...it is just a really fun atmosphere. After that you and a few friends go do your activity for the night. It is the perfect way to get you into the mood to enjoy the city.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Zap Brannigan

As a lifetime northsider I have to say brewhouse on 97th is my go to for oilers games and sports in general.

ps northside for life

Zap Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:

Ummm. For starters your definition of 'Touristy' and an Edmontonians definition of 'Touristy' are COMPLETELY different. There is nothing that compares to the CN Tower in terms of spectacle. What you will get is a lot more 'naturalized' beauty.

It's a hop n' skip away from Banff/Jasper which are AMAZING Places to go in the Summers and Winters.

Jasper and White are happening for 'Edmonton' but coming from a metropolis like TO, it's comparable to Toronto's Grove.

Also, the Steak is by far the best in the world. It's comparable to the sushi in Vancouver. If you ever move away from Alberta, you are going to realise just how bad the burgers and steaks are everywhere else in comparison.

Also, most of the guys I know that have moved there and HATED it, were single guys 25-35. Most guys that moved there with their girlfriends/spouses/families love it there.
actually, that's something we Albertans take for granted and don't realize until we try a steak elsewhere. and, since I typically eat other foods when elsewhere (seafood), i wouldn't even know about steak away of home.

thanx for pointing that out. btw, your assessment was pretty fair. I'm a bit surprized about the young single guys. while, its doesn't have the nitelife of TO, Van, you can make a huge amount of money as young guy and fly anywhere. its what i did. i had the life a rock star in Edmonton and many twentysomethings do. where else can a 20 year old make a six figure salary? its very common in Alberta.

anyways, cheers.

Last edited by Up the Irons: 04-07-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
You guys are amazing, thank you so much for all of this information.

Honestly going to print this entire thread and highlight a bunch of stuff.

Should mention that I'm 20, into electronic music, rock music, metal, indie, so live events/festivals is going to be awesome!

I will be definitely checking out Jasper on a weekend that I'm off.

I'm moving there with 3 other co-workers so it shouldn't be too bad.

We'll be driving in our 3 cars over 4-5 days so we can sight see and stuff on our way there.

Hopefully the Edmonton ladies are nice as well!
If you like live music Starlite room has pretty good live shows and the music scene in not to shabby.

A really good festival in the summer is Boonstock. In has both EDM and rock bands. Last year they had Avicii, Knife Party, Afro jack, R3hab for EDM and Korn and some other good rock bands. July 1st - 3rd in Gibbons. A field 25 mins from Edmonton. Decent line up this year, festival is getting big too. Cheap tickets and its rowdy

Best looking girls are at Billiards, Knoxvilles or ranch (country bars are big here, so you might have to put up with two steppin)

Last edited by Mctopchowda: 04-07-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Mctopchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:06 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Metropolitan city? omg that is awesome.

Posted by someone located in Calgary.
Huh...what does Calgary have to do with anything?

Good grief man, this hypersensitivity is pretty revealing....lighten up!

Old
04-07-2013, 11:13 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:

You have my sympathy.
muhahahaha sad but true... I think South Edmonton Comman is Edmonton greatest landmark, so maybe we are more Retail "Power Center" capital rather than stril mall capital now...

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:56 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
muhahahaha sad but true... I think South Edmonton Comman is Edmonton greatest landmark, so maybe we are more Retail "Power Center" capital rather than stril mall capital now...
Yeah...it was just a lighthearted jab at the multitude of strip malls that adorn the city.
I lived in Edmonton for 30 years so I know the city and its predominantly 70's architecture quite well.

SEC is interesting if for no other reason than its virtually impossible to traverse it on foot.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Hello Oilers fans!

I'm moving there May 1st until August 31st for a job. I currently live in Toronto.

What are some cool non-touristy places in the city to go? Good bars to catch games, restaurants, etc.

The local speaker from The Black Hand will contact you and tell you all you need to know.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:52 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Huh...what does Calgary have to do with anything?

Good grief man, this hypersensitivity is pretty revealing....lighten up!
Cuz Calgary's got no strip malls at all!

Comparisons between Calgary and Edmonton are a little ludicrous. Very similar cities in a lot of respects. Any differences are pretty minor, especially in comparison to any other cities.

Calgary's closer to the mountains.
Edmonton has a better arts/music season. And more strip malls!

Old
04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Cuz Calgary's got no strip malls at all!

Comparisons between Calgary and Edmonton are a little ludicrous. Very similar cities in a lot of respects. Any differences are pretty minor, especially in comparison to any other cities.

Calgary's closer to the mountains.
Edmonton has a better arts/music season. And more strip malls!
Most non-biased opinions see a lot more in terms of differences between the two cities.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Spiff The Spaceman

Quote:
Hello Oilers fans!

sales tax?

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:08 PM
jbean

Edmonton's live music scene is a mixed bag. We get an enormous amount of big name shows (i.e. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Paul McCartney, etc.) but they are generally at Rexall place which is a horrible venue to see live music. As for more intimate music experiences I have been let down quite a bit but good music does go through the city. The starlight room (downtown), wunderbar (whyte), and the pawn shop (whyte) might have some of the music you're interested in. Blues on whyte is a bit of a dive bar that attracts an older crowd along with a decent amount of hipsters. Also regardless of what kind of music you like go to the Folk Fest in August because it is (in my estimation) by far the funnest Edmonton event of the summer.

edit: Also for buying records (mostly vinyl, also cds) I highly recommend Listen records on 124st (on the edge of downtown) for an eclectic taste of music. The owner is a good guy and has good music knowledge. Freecloud records near kingsway garden mall is also pretty good and run by a nice guy and some like blackbyrd music but others (myself included) dislike the selection, prices, and sometimes even the staff.

Last edited by jbean: 04-09-2013 at 10:16 PM.
jbean is offline   Reply With Quote