HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 02:14 PM
BrimStone64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I still have Lindholm ranked 1#.

Very hard to say who is going to perform better post draft.

Drouin - Mckinnon - Barkov - Lindholm - Jones, the top 5 teams will be happy. Mckinnon and Jones have slightly lesser risk profiles, that's why they might go 1-2. However teams could fall in love with the high potential of Drouin or Barkov. Lindholm is just the all-around high compete.

Then comes the high potential, higher risks.

Monahan,
Nichushkin
etc.

I haven't changed my stance on Domi all year, I see a lot of risk with small players vs concussions going forward. (It was the same 15 years ago, we just have a lot more data on that nowadays with better detection, enough to account for it at draft day.)
Mackinnon or Barkov doubt will slip in draft, especially MacKinnon. I still have him #2 overall. For most teams a high end #1 center is hard to come by but key componet for championshp club. We were close to 20 years funding one until Galchenyuk.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

What about Jeremy Gregoire? He's having very good playoffs!!

Old
04-07-2013, 02:27 PM
No Team Needed

I'm of the belief that Bergevin will make sure we get Mantha. As well, Toronto will get Domi. It's fate.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I'm of the belief that Bergevin will make sure we get Mantha. As well, Toronto will get Domi. It's fate.
Mantha is not really a "Habs-type" of player.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

Drouin - Mckinnon - Barkov - Lindholm - Jones, the top 5 teams will be happy. Mckinnon and Jones have slightly lesser risk profiles, that's why they might go 1-2. However teams could fall in love with the high potential of Drouin or Barkov. Lindholm is just the all-around high compete.

Monahan,
Nichushkin
etc.

I haven't changed my stance on Domi all year, I see a lot of risk with small players vs concussions going forward. (It was the same 15 years ago, we just have a lot more data on that nowadays with better detection, enough to account for it at draft day.)
How many times have you watched Lindholm ?

Old
04-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Mantha is not really a "Habs-type" of player.
No, but he's a type of player the habs need.

Players with character issues won't get drafted by the habs.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

We need a guy that PLAYS like he's 6'4" not a guy that's 6'4" and plays 5'11". I like his finish but not sold on the rest of his game.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:19 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:

Monahan
Nichushkin
etc.

I would say Monahan is one of the safest bets in the draft. What makes you think he is a risk?

Old
04-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I would say Monahan is one of the safest bets in the draft. What makes you think he is a risk?
Yeah Monahan can probably step in and play top 9 next year a la Couturier.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
We need a guy that PLAYS like he's 6'4" not a guy that's 6'4" and plays 5'11". I like his finish but not sold on the rest of his game.
Agreed. I like Willy Carrier from cape breton. A lw that plays a gritty game.

Another LW that may land in Montreal next year (at camp) is luca ciampini. I see him signing as a ufa, hed be a great addition to hamilton next year as a 2nd 3rd liner...local kid, may even surprise folks as he is not one to shy away from the corners.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Agreed. I like Willy Carrier from cape breton. A lw that plays a gritty game.

Another LW that may land in Montreal next year (at camp) is luca ciampini. I see him signing as a ufa, hed be a great addition to hamilton next year as a 2nd 3rd liner...local kid, may even surprise folks as he is not one to shy away from the corners.
I can see the Habs drafting Carrier...moreso with their 2nd rounder or one of the 3rd. Not in the 1st or early 2nd.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
I can see the Habs drafting Carrier...moreso with their 2nd rounder or one of the 3rd. Not in the 1st or early 2nd.
Never said when, just that I like the kid. Id love to see some miracle trade to land Mackinnon....but id also love to win the lotto and quit my job

Old
04-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Mantha and his 6'4 frame are non-existent most of the games.

He's a carbon copy of a younger Ryder.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:41 PM
le_sean

With the Flames 2nd rounder as insurance, I believe Bergevin will use the Nashville pick to move up in the 1st.

Rychel, Lazar, Hartman and Compher seem like Bergevin kind of players (work ethic, physicality).

Burakowsky, Gauthier and Keaton Thompson seem like Timmins kind of players (room for physical growth, untapped offensive potential).

Any qualms with using the Calgary 2nd on Fucale if he's available?

Old
04-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Definitely take Fucale with the CGY pick if he's there. I would bet he'll go way before that though.

What has happened in Carolina this year, where a team that looked good has completely collapsed since Ward went out, is proof enough that we need to draft a quality goalie prospect.

Just did some reading on Ian McCoshen. He has Timmins pick written all over him too.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 04-07-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
With the Flames 2nd rounder as insurance, I believe Bergevin will use the Nashville pick to move up in the 1st.

Rychel, Lazar, Hartman and Compher seem like Bergevin kind of players (work ethic, physicality).

Burakowsky, Gauthier and Keaton Thompson seem like Timmins kind of players (room for physical growth, untapped offensive potential).

Any qualms with using the Calgary 2nd on Fucale if he's available?
Everything is possible. They'll more than likely dangle their own 2nd rounder but could use Nashville's if that what it takes to get the player they want.

If they use a 2nd rounder on a goalie, hopefully it will be Jarry, not Fucale.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

I see Morrissey or Wennberg as Timmins type of picks.

I'd be ecstatic if we could trade up for Shinkaruk, he more or less sunk the Saskatoon Blades in four straight all by himself. That and good goaltending.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Mantha and his 6'4 frame are non-existent most of the games.

He's a carbon copy of a younger Ryder.
More like a potentially elite goal scorer that still has yet to round out his game. Some people here.

I assume the non-existent comment is out of sheer ignorance. Unless showing up on the scoresheet doesn't count as making a relevant impact anymore.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:54 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I see Morrissey or Wennberg as Timmins type of picks.

I'd be ecstatic if we could trade up for Shinkaruk, he more or less sunk the Saskatoon Blades in four straight all by himself. That and good goaltending.
Yes, Morrissey I've mentioned before as a Timmins pick, but I didn't include him because he'll presumably be off the board way before they can grab him, even with a trade up.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Draft

De La Rose could be that gritty player the Habs are looking for. Robert Hagg looks like he could be a huge steal if he falls to the late 1st round, he's kind of been rated all over the place. Nothing wrong with another great defensemen and picking some solid forwards with our 2nds. I REALLY want some good forwards though. I agree with the Carrier interest, he was potential 1st round at the start of the year before a bad injury.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:53 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Gatineau can't do anything against the Mooseheads.. I wouldn't use this series as any indication of Poirier's talents. However, he has managed to break free for a few breakaways but Fucale is impressive.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Gatineau can't do anything against the Mooseheads.. I wouldn't use this series as any indication of Poirier's talents. However, he has managed to break free for a few breakaways but Fucale is impressive.
Agreed. Poirier's always moving, great work. But the Moose are just dominating. We are rolling right now and I dont see gatineau winning more than 1 game.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yes, Morrissey I've mentioned before as a Timmins pick, but I didn't include him because he'll presumably be off the board way before they can grab him, even with a trade up.
What a crazy year it's been. We started with talking about Drouin and now we're talking about players that are marginal 1st rounders. Hard to believe how this ship has turned around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
De La Rose could be that gritty player the Habs are looking for. Robert Hagg looks like he could be a huge steal if he falls to the late 1st round, he's kind of been rated all over the place. Nothing wrong with another great defensemen and picking some solid forwards with our 2nds. I REALLY want some good forwards though. I agree with the Carrier interest, he was potential 1st round at the start of the year before a bad injury.
I wouldn't mind if we went for nothing but grit, size and toughness in this draft. It's something we're lacking and this looks like a good draft to go after it.

------------

What do posters here feel is Dickinson's upside? Another AK or something else?

Old
04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
It's really high. He has all the tools to be something close to a Pacioretty type player, but him putting it all together is the issue. Very inconsistent.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:42 PM
That

Quote:
Top 6 winger. Maybe even a top liner.

His stats don't really reflect that though. He got off a great start, 17 points in his first 14 points, but slowed down considerably for the rest of the season. In the meantime he worked on becoming a meaner player and his defensive play got significantly better. Good enough for the coaches to vote Dickinson as third best defensive player in the Western Conference. The biggest knock is how uninvolved he looks sometimes. There's times where he'll dominate a game and then others where you won't even notice him. He isn't very physical, but isn't afraid to throw his weight around. He's got a bit of crazy side, but unfortunately he normally needs something to spark him to play like that. Offensively, he's the complete package. Magnificent skater, great wrist shot, and fantastic passer.

He's a really frustrating player to watch, but not the same way that AK46 was. Dickinson won't hurt you with lazy backchecking or selfish stickhandling, but rather just by simply not being the difference maker offensively when he seemingly could be.

Closed Thread