HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

LA Kings to Host Outdoor Game Next Season @ Dodger Stadium *Pending Approval, APR 18*

Old
04-07-2013, 02:52 PM
ZARTONK
The Markov effect

vCash: 50
I'm not an expert on this, but I feel like it has to be cold to play hockey outdoors... But hey, I'm no science major...

ZARTONK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:56 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69
@helenenothelen "It's not 100 percent done but looks like SoCal outdoor game would be Jan 25, 2014 at Dodger Stadium, Kings vs Ducks"

WOOOOOOO

Gonna start saving up money now. I mean...I'll have people to stay with but I'm gonna assume that good tickets are gonna cost a bit of coin.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:56 PM
DarthYenik

vCash: 500
My personal pros and cons.

Pros:
1. It'll be good for hockey in southern California.
2. I live close enough to go.

Cons:
1. Dodgers Stadium may have had renovations, but it still sucks.
2. Ticket prices because of it being a winter classic, in L.A. will be astronomical.
3. I fear for the safety of the fans of the visiting team. Not that Kings fans are criminals like the average Dodgers fan.

DarthYenik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:58 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
I find it funny that most are laughing at this concept. As hockey fans, don't we all want the sport to grow and gain a larger fan base? The timing is perfect. LA hasn't been this high on hockey since 99 played here and we're fresh off a Stanley Cup. But as usual, it's LA and we aren't worthy of such an event

As a lifelong Kings fan, I'm so pumped for this. The entire week leading up to it should have awesome events.
True. California hockey has been growing at a terrific rate. This can only help expand the game on the West coast.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:00 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
I'm not an expert on this, but I feel like it has to be cold to play hockey outdoors... But hey, I'm no science major...
They play hockey indoors, and it is not particularly cold inside an NHL arena. Nighttime in LA in December/January is usually considerably colder than inside an NHL barn.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:01 PM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Right, you are no expert. Neither am I, so I'm going to assume that the Montreal Expos moved to Washington because it was too cold in Montreal.

And this reminds me of my third "Pro", it'll shut up the people who think ice can't exist outside of the very northern U.S. and in Canada.

Last edited by DarthYenik: 04-07-2013 at 03:06 PM.
DarthYenik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Ducksgo
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post

Pros:

Cons:
2. Ticket prices because of it being a winter classic, in L.A. will be astronomical.
3. I fear for the safety of the fans of the visiting team. Not that Kings fans are criminals like the average Dodgers fan.
I have to agree with number 3. The past baseball teams problems and laker/clipper issues during big games kinda raises concerns. I hope Los Angeles PD and security will help make this a safe environment for fans, families, kids etc.

Ducksgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:07 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:

Pros:

Cons:
Just buy yourself some good seats and not wear SF Giants gear. Problem solved.

Should be the Ducks for this game. Make it a true SoCal event and please do anything to manufacture this rivalry. Would be good for these two teams to share in this historical moment and have bragging rights for winning it.

Last edited by spiny norman: 04-07-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: [/B][/QUOTE]
BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Bieber fever

Hockey cosom

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

vCash: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
I have to agree with number 3. The past baseball teams problems and laker/clipper issues during big games kinda raises concerns. I hope Los Angeles PD and security will help make this a safe environment for fans, families, kids etc.
Not a single incident occurred during the Kings run. Please don't lump us in with the other maniacs

Reclamation Project is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:10 PM
quackquackquack

Quote:

Pros:

Cons:
Mind you I have a loud mouth at games but cheering on the Ducks at Staples Center was one of the scariest things I've ever done.

quackquackquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
ZARTONK
The Markov effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
They play hockey indoors, and it is not particularly cold inside an NHL arena. Nighttime in LA in December/January is usually considerably colder than inside an NHL barn.
Quote:
Right, you are no expert. Neither am I, so I'm going to assume that the Montreal Expos moved to Washington because it was too cold in Montreal.

And this reminds me of my third "Pro", it'll shut up the people who think ice can't exist outside of the very northern U.S. and in Canada.
I have nothing with hockey teams in California, professional or not, and I think that if they can make it work it will be an awesome event. My only thingis that the lowest average temperature in LA is something like 8 degrees celcius, when we see the outdoor games in Detroit and Edmonton having difficulty maintaining a good ice surface is it that wrong to wonder whether it's simply too warm for a full, NHL caliber ice surface for a regular season game?

Btw, I have no idea why you included the Expos inthis convo...... Or why you're both insulted that I brought up the most obvious potential problem this whole thing could have...

ZARTONK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
It's hockey, not baseball or basketball.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
I have nothing with hockey teams in California, professional or not, and I think that if they can make it work it will be an awesome event. My only thingis that the lowest average temperature in LA is something like 8 degrees celcius, when we see the outdoor games in Detroit and Edmonton having difficulty maintaining a good ice surface is it that wrong to wonder whether it's simply too warm for a full, NHL caliber ice surface for a regular season game?

Btw, I have no idea why you included the Expos inthis convo...... Or why you're both insulted that I brought up the most obvious potential problem this whole thing could have...
You're ignoring the entire point everybody's been trying to make: You don't need cold temperatures to play a hockey game. NHL arenas are kept at around 65 degrees F.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:20 PM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquackquack View Post
Mind you I have a loud mouth at games but cheering on the Ducks at Staples Center was one of the scariest things I've ever done.
As you should be .

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Ducksgo
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquackquack View Post
This is why I hope LAPD and security are around 10 fold compared to Ducks - Kings at staples. Not only will the attendance be larger, but more roudy drunk people will have to be watched. No offense kings fans but ducks fans are included in this category as well.

Ducksgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:27 PM
PhoenyX

Wow, it would be awesome to have the Ducks in this game. Should be great for growing the sport in California. Etem scoring the game winner in OT? Yes please.

PhoenyX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenyX View Post
Wow, it would be awesome to have the Ducks in this game. Should be great for growing the sport in California. Etem scoring the game winner in OT? Yes please.
No, thank you. Rather have Etem score the game winner in the final minute. We don't need to be giving the Kings any points if we don't have to.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:34 PM
PhoenyX

It would be great if the Kings and Ducks played each other at some point during the playoffs this season. That would help the rivalry grow even more leading up to the outdoor game.

PhoenyX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:45 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

Sweet! I really hope it's against the sharks! It won't be!

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:46 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
It would be great if the Kings and Ducks played each other at some point during the playoffs this season. That would help the rivalry grow even more leading up to the outdoor game.
i was just about to post that, here is hoping.

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:48 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
I've been wanting this since Anaheim came into the league and this year it may just happen, there's hope! A playoff battle would make the outdoor game so much better.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Dat ice.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

I want a WCF between the Ducks and Kings. We have our rivalry, but with that scenario, a California team will be in the finals for the fourth time in 10 years. Would really go a long way in making Cali hockey stronger.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

vCash: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I want a WCF between the Ducks and Kings. We have our rivalry, but with that scenario, a California team will be in the finals for the fourth time in 10 years. Would really go a long way in making Cali hockey stronger.
The hockey establishment would go thermonuclear!

Reclamation Project is online now   Reply With Quote