HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
04-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I like Bennett and Morrow both in the line-up, because I think they can both play in that spot very well, but I don't know that either can do it full time through a full post-season. I think they'd fill Geno's left wing platoon style. My dream healthy lineup is

Kunitz - Sid - Iggy
Morrow/Bennett - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Bennett/Morrow - Jokinen - Adams

with Bennett and Morrow rotating with Geno and Neal.
What I think is being lost here are Jokinens face-off ability. I really think this could be the trump card if you ask me. The 3rd and 4th line C position is in good hands between the three of, Sutter, Vitale, and Jeffrey. What Jokinen does is not force one of them up higher in a injury type scenario like now.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
What I think is being lost here are Jokinens face-off ability. I really think this could be the trump card if you ask me. The 3rd and 4th line C position is in good hands between the three of, Sutter, Vitale, and Jeffrey. What Jokinen does is not force one of them up higher in a injury type scenario like now.
In my line-up, he would provide faceoffs for the PK and could take faceoffs on Geno double shifts on top of the few intact 4th line shifts. I wouldn't mind him taking an occasional shift with Geno if the faceoff is really important.

Basically, I think Morrow and Jokinen would be used as spare forwards in that setup more than as a real 4th line.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
I just see him more like a more rounded version of Sullivan than as Dupuis. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't seen a ton of him. Doesn't seem like puck retrieval and board battles are his main strengths.
Both players can play all three positions if needed. The hitting I agree, he's not a very big hit producer but he only needs to disrupt/disperse the puck from an opponent to be effective. Just like last game.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Both players can play all three positions if needed. The hitting I agree, he's not a very big hit producer but he only needs to disrupt/disperse the puck from an opponent to be effective. Just like last game.
Like I said, I really need to see him play more. If he can be effective there, I would be thrilled to have him with Geno for the sake of face-offs. He HAS to be in the line-up somewhere just because of that and his flexibility. Its not enough to get Vitale on the 4th line though.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
In my line-up, he would provide faceoffs for the PK and could take faceoffs on Geno double shifts on top of the few intact 4th line shifts. I wouldn't mind him taking an occasional shift with Geno if the faceoff is really important.

Basically, I think Morrow and Jokinen would be used as spare forwards in that setup more than as a real 4th line.
I like it to be more of removing Geno from the right dot faceoffs and put him at the halfboards, and Neal closer to his destination, Slot.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Like I said, I really need to see him play more. If he can be effective there, I would be thrilled to have him with Geno for the sake of face-offs. He HAS to be in the line-up somewhere just because of that and his flexibility. Its not enough to get Vitale on the 4th line though.
100% with you here.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:16 PM
SEALBound

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Sutter-TK
Morrow-Vitale-Cooke

DB: Line 1, go score. Line 2, go score. Line 3, speed! speed! speed! Line 4...go hit stuff, and hit it HARD!

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Sutter-TK
Morrow-Vitale-Cooke

DB: Line 1, go score. Line 2, go score. Line 3, speed! speed! speed! Line 4...go hit stuff, and hit it HARD!
I don't care what the role of the line is. I never like to see TK ahead of Cooke in the line-up. Switch them and throw Adams on the 4th line instead of TK. Tyler Kennedy sucks.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Sutter-TK
Morrow-Vitale-Cooke

You could swap out Dupuis and Cooke and get that result too. It also adds that threat to score from the 4th line a bit more keeping Dupuis on the side he's most effective at, and Cooke also.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:53 PM
SEALBound

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Jokinen-Vitale-Kennedy------->This could be a really good line

Orpik-Martin
Murray/Despres/Eaton-Letang
Niskanen-Engelland/Murray

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Waffle Fries

I don't think I can post any lines that haven't already been thoroughly discussed.

But I will say that I'm very, very interested in seeing what the lines actually end up being on Tuesday without Neal.

Best case scenario is that Kunitz/Bennett/Morrow look so good next to Malkin and Iggy that DB is forced to keep whoever that LW is in that spot.

Obviously when Neal gets back he'll be back with Geno, and then Iggy will have to be moved. I hate to see anyone get hurt, it kind of sounds crazy, and I hope he's not out very long, but this Neal injury might end up really helping the team.

Waffle Fries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:21 AM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 456
Quote:
If we have a 4th of Cooke-Vitale-Kennedy, I'm almost certain it would be Jeffrey rather than Vitale.

And...would Jokinen-Malkin-Neal offer anything over Iggy-Malkin-Neal? Does Jokinen provide the Kunitz-Morrow grit game thats needed to make that line work?
I dont think that line needs grit as much as a third wheel. With Iginla on that line they all want the puck. I think Jokinen would play a simple game and let Neal and Malkin do their thing. He would be most beneficial on that line taking faceoffs and actually winning them.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Waffle Fries

With Bennett up I would really like to see him get some time with Malkin. It doesn't even have to be full time, just a couple shifts a game.

Malkin's injuries kind of robbed Bennett of the opportunity earlier in the season to see if he could fit there for an extended period of time.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Malkinstheman

Does anyboody think sill could be a good replacement for glass? Although im not sure if he pks..

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:12 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Does anyboody think sill could be a good replacement for glass? Although im not sure if he pks..
Does Glass PK? Sometimes its hard to tell.

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Shockmaster

With Neal potentially out, I'm guessing we're going to see these forward lines:

Bennett-Malkin-Iginla
Kunitz-Jokinen-Dupuis
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:17 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Going to suggest something I've never suggested before, I hope everyone's minds are blown:

If Neal is out

Kunitz - Jokinen - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Iginla
Morrow - Sutter - Cooke
Adams - Vitale - Kennedy

if Neal is healthy:

Kunitz - Jokinen - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Dupuis
Cooke - Adams - Kennedy

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
With Bennett up I would really like to see him get some time with Malkin. It doesn't even have to be full time, just a couple shifts a game.

Malkin's injuries kind of robbed Bennett of the opportunity earlier in the season to see if he could fit there for an extended period of time.
Its stupid that they think he needs to be with Malkin to be effective. That's the best spot for him, but no matter where he's at in the line-up, he's an upgrade over Tyler Kennedy. He's better both offensively and defensively.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Its stupid that they think he needs to be with Malkin to be effective. That's the best spot for him, but no matter where he's at in the line-up, he's an upgrade over Tyler Kennedy. He's better both offensively and defensively.
I agree. He played well wherever he was placed, and I want him to remain in the lineup even if it's on the third line. I'm also a big fan of the idea you've mentioned various times about platooning Morrow/Bennett on the second and fourth line

I just would really like to see him get some time with Malkin because of how good it looked it the small sample we got.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I agree. He played well wherever he was placed, and I want him to remain in the lineup even if it's on the third line. I'm also a big fan of the idea you've mentioned various times about platooning Morrow/Bennett on the second and fourth line

I just would really like to see him get some time with Malkin because of how good it looked it the small sample we got.
I think I stole the platooning idea from KIRK. Though I think he had them on the 2nd and 3rd lines. Still, I wouldn't have considered that had he not mentioned it.

I LOVE the idea of a 4th line with some talent instead of just some muckers. We won a cup with Dupuis and Satan/Sykora on the 4th line. I think Morrow and Jokinen could be a big help there.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
I think I stole the platooning idea from KIRK. Though I think he had them on the 2nd and 3rd lines. Still, I wouldn't have considered that had he not mentioned it.

I LOVE the idea of a 4th line built for special teams and double shifts more than built to be an actual unit.
Agreed. Obviously Adams is going to be in the lineup for our penalty kill, but he doesn't need to have that much even strength time. Having Sid and Geno double shifting on a fourth line that, depending on how the top 9 is set up, could have any of Morrow, Bennett, Cooke or Jokinen would be a legitimate threat.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Agreed. Obviously Adams is going to be in the lineup for our penalty kill, but he doesn't need to have that much even strength time. Having Sid and Geno double shifting on a fourth line that, depending on how the top 9 is set up, could have any of Morrow, Bennett, Cooke or Jokinen would be a legitimate threat.
Ya, and if Dupuis is on the 3rd line too. Its just ridiculous to think of Sid getting out there with Cooke and Dupuis against a lower defensive pairing. I mean, there's no doubt in my mind Sid could fight for a scoring title centering Cooke and Dupuis.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Ya, and if Dupuis is on the 3rd line too. Its just ridiculous to think of Sid getting out there with Cooke and Dupuis against a lower defensive pairing. I mean, there's no doubt in my mind Sid could fight for a scoring title centering Cooke and Dupuis.
We have so much depth that when everyone is healthy, I don't think any other group of forwards in the league can compare. As long as Neal and Iginla are not on the same line, there aren't many line combinations we can go wrong with.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Waffle Fries

Just had a thought, if Neal is out, what will our first pp unit be?