HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion: Road to the Playoffs (Last 12 games of reg. season)

Old
04-07-2013, 02:24 PM
RedWingsNow*

vCash: 500
If we can get sixth and play the Canucks, we might be able to squeeze out a victory against a gutless Vancouver team.

But 6th place looks VERY unlikely right now.

Detroit's main advantage is that the teams chasing us have mostly thrown in the towel (Phoenix, Nashville, Dallas).

The only teams chasing us that seem to be in go-for-it mode are Edmonton and Columbus.

They are both 4 points back, which is not insignificant.

One of those teams needs to get red hot or Detroit needs to get cold to catch the Wings.

Right now, I'd say Detroit is going to finish 8th. Maybe 7th. But mostlikey 8th.

Unless Datsyuk or Zetterberg are out.

And frankly, Zetterberg's injury might be just enough to knock this team out out altogether.

We lost to Phx. We needed overtime to beat the worst team in the NHL (Colorado). And we lost at home to the Blues.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:26 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I'd rather watch this team win a few rounds than miss the playoffs. But that's me, because I love playoff hockey, and the whole point is to watch your team try to win in the playoffs.

And your assumption is the two options are:
1) Get killed in playoffs.
2) Get better in future.

Obviously when you paint the scenario in that light, there's really no debate. But there's a 3rd option.

3) Have exciting playoffs filled with memorable moments.

And you don't get #3 unless you actually make the playoffs. And you don't even have to win the Cup for it to be fun. Cue somebody telling me I'm content with a terrible team.
How many memorable moments from last year's loss to Nashville do you treasure?

How about the year we lost to Edmonton in round 1?

Or the Ducks in round 1?

First round losses aren't typically packed with memorable moments

Old
04-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Leadzedder

Lost to St. Louis 0-1, playoff odds down 14.3 to 57.9%
43 points 19 15-5

Leadzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Leadzedder

To simplify numbers from that site.....

9 games left
7 wins we place 6th
6 wins..... 7th
5 wins..... 8th
4 wins..... Golf

It's a long shot to play anyone but Chicago. Today's game was big.

I'd put it at...
40% we miss play offs
40% meet Chicago
10% meet Anahiem
5% meet LA
5%. Meet Vancouver

Last edited by Leadzedder: 04-07-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
How many memorable moments from last year's loss to Nashville do you treasure?

How about the year we lost to Edmonton in round 1?

Or the Ducks in round 1?

First round losses aren't typically packed with memorable moments
And how many memorable moments from the draft do you have? Because that's the only exciting part left if the Wings miss the playoffs.

Look, some playoffs stink. But you have to make it to even have the chance at enjoyment. I'd rather gamble on having fun at the bar with my friends watching playoff hockey, than sitting around here enjoying the nuances of a #12 pick.

But to answer your question more succinct:

Made the whole bar I was at jump out of their seats. Was awesome.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:37 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
And how many memorable moments from the draft do you have? Because that's the only exciting part left if the Wings miss the playoffs.

Look, some playoffs stink. But you have to make it to even have the chance at enjoyment. I'd rather gamble on having fun at the bar with my friends watching playoff hockey, than sitting around here enjoying the nuances of a #12 pick.

But to answer your question more succinct:

Made the whole bar I was at jump out of their seats. Was awesome.
Yeyy!

Pretty goal in a 4-1 series loss. I'll remember that for ever.

Datsyuk scores enough memorable goals in the regular season.

You could be at a bar with your friends doing anything and have a chance for a memorable occasion

Old
04-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

I get it, you hate me enjoying things and you need to point out how it's not real or whatever.

Is it so inconceivable somebody could enjoy playoff hockey even if the team loses? I'd rather have those 5 **** games than none at all, but hey, I'm easy to please and I'd enjoy anything at a bar, right?

Last edited by joe89: 04-07-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 02:45 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:

Maybe it's because I'm in Sweden, but I'd rather have Detroit miss the playoffs and get the highest draft pick in 20+ years, than getting swept in the first round by chicago. Remember this is a shortened season as well, if modern era detroit is ever gonna miss the playoffs, this is the (half)year to do it.

Those 4 games will do nothing (for me personally)... Maybe for you and other michigan folks, as you say.. "have fun in bar with friends". But getting swept, beaten heavily, is kind of embarassing too.

The draft is really fun to follow imo, especially if the wings got the opportunity to draft early

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
But getting swept, beaten heavily, is kind of embarassing too.
It's more embarrassing not being a playoff team.

If there's even such a thing as embarrassment over the fates of professional sports teams. Not like my Chicago fan friends are going to beat me up for my lunch money the next day.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:50 PM
obey86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Maybe it's because I'm in Sweden, but I'd rather have Detroit miss the playoffs and get the highest draft pick in 20+ years, than getting swept in the first round by chicago. Remember this is a shortened season as well, if modern era detroit is ever gonna miss the playoffs, this is the (half)year to do it.

Those 4 games will do nothing (for me personally)... Maybe for you and other michigan folks, as you say.. "have fun in bar with friends". But getting swept, beaten heavily, is kind of embarassing too.

The draft is really fun to follow imo, especially if the wings got the opportunity to draft early
One can follow the draft whether the Wings make the playoffs or not.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:50 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

If we go 5-4 in our 9 games that gives us 53 points. Phoenix would have to go 7-3 to catch us, assuming that we win at least 3 or 4 games in regulation. Edmonton/Columbus would have to go 7-2-1 as well to pass us. Because we have 3 more ROW we've put ourselves in a position where if we even just go 1 game above .500 we should still make it on the tie breaker.

Assuming the stands stay the same we have our most important game on the 22nd against the Yotes. With out 5 games before that if we can go 3-2, or 3-1-1 I think we'll have at least 8th locked up.

Phoenix Coyotes Schedule:

Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, SJ x2, St.Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Colorado, Anaheim

Edmonton Oilers Schedule:

Anaheim x3, Phoenix, Calgary, Minnesota x2, Colorado, Chicago, Vancouver

Columbus Blue Jackets Schedule:

Minnesota x2, San Jose x2, St.Louis, Colorado, Anaheim, LA, Dallas, Nashville

Detroit Red Wings Schedule:

San Jose, Chicago, Nashville x2, Calgary, Vancouver, Phoenix, LA, Dallas

Assuming that we go 5-4 over over next 9 games I can't see anyone going 7-3, with at least 3 wins coming in regulation, to catch us. Really I think only Phoenix has a shot and that's because we face off against each other. A win for us puts them 2 more points behind us.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:54 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I would like to keep the streak alive but I don't want Chicago, Anaheim, or Pittsburgh to have the pleasure of eliminating the Wings. I hate those teams with a passion. Just seeing Anaheim sweaters makes me want to puke. And god help me if I have to listen to the slob job that will happen if team Criesby beats the Wings. I can just see that little bobble head Maguire now gushing all about Criesby. If missing the playoffs is the only way to avoid any of that, then I'll take it.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Eternal Sunshine

This season is a write off. Going to either limp in 8th or very, very narrowly miss in 9th. Smith and Kindl got their feet wet, at least. Got some real minutes. But no Nick around to mentor them kind of makes it not as significant as it could have been a year or two earlier. Sad times.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:00 PM
joe89

Quote:
I'd rather watch this team win a few rounds than miss the playoffs. But that's me, because I love playoff hockey, and the whole point is to watch your team try to win in the playoffs.

And your assumption is the two options are:
1) Get killed in playoffs.
2) Get better in future.

Obviously when you paint the scenario in that light, there's really no debate. But there's a 3rd option.

3) Have exciting playoffs filled with memorable moments.

And you don't get #3 unless you actually make the playoffs. And you don't even have to win the Cup for it to be fun. Cue somebody telling me I'm content with a terrible team.
I'm with you. Detroit missing the playoffs just to pick in the 12-14 range instead of picking 15-20 and make the playoffs do nothing for me as a fan. That's long term thinking and then some. I'd rather have a little fun now.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Leadzedder

If we miss the playoffs it won't be by much. Missing the playoffs might improve out draft position by 2-3 spots. If anyone would prefer to move up a couple spots at the draft in exchange for losing our streak / not having the playoffs and the opportunity that comes with it (even if we meet Chicago) then you're a ******.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:02 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
It's more embarrassing not being a playoff team.

If there's even such a thing as embarrassment over the fates of professional sports teams. Not like my Chicago fan friends are going to beat me up for my lunch money the next day.
If the playoffs were/are important to you/this franchise, Holland needed to improve the team at the deadline or during the last offseason.

Yet, you defend his dreadful performance ad nauseam.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:05 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
This season is a write off. Going to either limp in 8th or very, very narrowly miss in 9th. Smith and Kindl got their feet wet, at least. Got some real minutes. But no Nick around to mentor them kind of makes it not as significant as it could have been a year or two earlier. Sad times.
Nyquist established himself as a top 6 forward, Tatar showed that he is able to play in the top 9, Andersson, who I though would be nothing but a 4th liner/extra forward, showed us that he can play on the 3rd line and has some offensive upside. Mrazek also showed he'll be a capable NHL goaltender at some point.

So while we may not have liked how the prospects were handled there were a lot of positives to take from this year.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:08 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
I get it, you hate me enjoying things and you need to point out how it's not real or whatever.

Is it so inconceivable somebody could enjoy playoff hockey even if the team loses? I'd rather have those 5 **** games than none at all, but hey, I'm easy to please and I'd enjoy anything at a bar, right?
Enjoy what you want.
I personally don't get much enjoyment out first round playoff losses

Old
04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Nyquist established himself as a top 6 forward, Tatar showed that he is able to play in the top 9, Andersson, who I though would be nothing but a 4th liner/extra forward, showed us that he can play on the 3rd line and has some offensive upside. Mrazek also showed he'll be a capable NHL goaltender at some point.

So while we may not have liked how the prospects were handled there were a lot of positives to take from this year.
We'll see next year when everyone is healthy.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:16 PM
obey86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Enjoy what you want.
I personally don't get much enjoyment out first round playoff losses
What's your enjoyment level on a scale of 1-10 when it comes to missing the playoffs?

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:26 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by obey86 View Post
What's your enjoyment level on a scale of 1-10 when it comes to missing the playoffs?
depends what I do with my time.

Look, i was for trading for Robidas and Gaborik or Robidas and Jagr... and doing our best to have a playoff run.

Or I was for selling off Cleary and White and company and rebuilding

What I remain opposed to is a rudderless franchise.

So I don't have much patience for people who defend Holland's inaction yet yearn for playoff hockey

Old
04-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Exactly. Why are people trying to get amped up about a team that didn't improve itself in a sea of teams that addressed their issues and attempted to better themselves? If you wanted a nice playoff, you should've realized on Wednesday that we aren't going for anything.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Leadzedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Exactly. Why are people trying to get amped up about a team that didn't improve itself in a sea of teams that addressed their issues and attempted to better themselves? If you wanted a nice playoff, you should've realized on Wednesday that we aren't going for anything.
Because we're Red Wing fans. What the **** does not getting a 2nd for White or not landing a rental have to do with us cheering on our team? Seriously?

Seems like some of you guys need to sit the rest of this one out. Cluttering the message boards with negative garbage. For real.... Take a break. We'll be happy to have you back in September.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:47 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Assuming that we go 5-4 over over next 9 games I can't see anyone going 7-3, with at least 3 wins coming in regulation, to catch us. Really I think only Phoenix has a shot and that's because we face off against each other. A win for us puts them 2 more points behind us.
Agreed. They'd have to completely blow it to miss out with that schedule.

The thing that worries me most is that both Minnesota and St. Louis don't have very tough match ups to end the year. 8th seed versus Chicago seems inevitable.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:51 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by obey86 View Post
Whats your enjoyment level for losing in 5 games first round? My enjoyment level could be really high if we somehow did well in the lottery or had management realize the downward slope.

It's fine if you don't agree with what some people are arguing but it boggles my mind people can't at least understand the point.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote