HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Old
04-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Garyboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Nobody in Canada ever heard of him until Dec. when one of the country's most respected coaches Brian Kilrea said he was the best 14 year old player he had ever seen.
Whoa, whoa. A lot of people took notice of him at the 2011 Silverstick when he was playing for Honeybaked. A lot of serious fans in an around Toronto knew about Day before he became popular on here.

11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Garyboy

Sean Day on the Detroit Honeybaked 98's is a wonderful hockey player. Should be playing up a year or two. A name/player to watch.

Last edited by Garyboy: 04-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:44 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
The kid sounds cocky.

If he's above the competition like he said, he should have much better numbers.
If you've seen the videos of him, you can see how good he is.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
The kid sounds cocky.

He's cocky? Came off as ambitious more then anything. He is above his age groups' skill level. To try and come off as if he's not above his age groups' skill level is just being silly and overly modest to the point of being annoying.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:44 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Also, show me a 14 year old kid who's always told how good he is who isn't at least a bit cocky. Maturity comes with age and veteran leadership in the locker room.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Also, show me a 14 year old kid who's always told how good he is who isn't at least a bit cocky. Maturity comes with age and veteran leadership in the locker room.
People are spoiled by the first "exceptional" status player Tavares who was incredibly humble at 14. Ekblad was as well.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:20 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
People are spoiled by the first "exceptional" status player Tavares who was incredibly humble at 14. Ekblad was as well.
Agreed. They're exceptions to the rule IMO. Most kids that age don't really know what humble is. It'll come with age. It bugs me when people get on a kid not even 16 about cockiness lol.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:20 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

New highlight vid. Video from some other sources.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
New highlight vid. Video from some other sources.

Thanks for posting. That is one incredibly awful song. Was I the only one who muted it after buddy started screaming? Sean's video's should have Mozart playing the background, as a testament to his deliciously beautiful skating.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:49 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Whoa, whoa. A lot of people took notice of him at the 2011 Silverstick when he was playing for Honeybaked. A lot of serious fans in an around Toronto knew about Day before he became popular on here.

11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Garyboy

Sean Day on the Detroit Honeybaked 98's is a wonderful hockey player. Should be playing up a year or two. A name/player to watch.

right, my apologies, you were clearly ahead of the curve. What I should of said was he only bacame a household name in Dec.....

I'll try to pay more attention in the future to every single post written on this site.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I am not trying to bring this up for the sake of bringing it up but by the highlights from the videos, his skating and the way the way he moves up the ice reminds me a lot of Morgan Rielly. Just beautiful.

On a side note, I have heard a lot of great things about Sean Day and judging by his skill-set and size(6'3) at this age is incredible, it is quite a shock that fell to the steelheads. There are a number of phenoms at defence to watch out for in the OHL with Ekblad as the top gun

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:56 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Thanks for posting. That is one incredibly awful song. Was I the only one who muted it after buddy started screaming? Sean's video's should have Mozart playing the background, as a testament to his deliciously beautiful skating.
That's Rise Against. They're an awesome band.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Interesting that he seems to be using a shorter stick than one might expect...

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Small Brain Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Not sure if you've ever stayed in parts of the Rust Belt (keep in mind that he's lived in Detroit) and then traveled over the border, but he's right from my experience.

Just one example: Niagara Falls on the US side is dump, but you simply cross the border and it's like a different world.
So Windsor has better smelling air than Detroit even though it's south of Detroit?. That international border has strange, mysterious powers.

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
More than likely makes it easier for him to handle the puck with ease. Especially in tight spots, and considering how often he leads the rush.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:44 PM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Noticed this myself, looks like he likes to stickhandle and isnt afraid of loosing any reach.

PorkChopSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Scarecrow Boat

When he's skating backwards I get mesmerized by his feet. How fast and smoothly he moves his feet when going backwards, unreal is an understatement. I noticed the stick being small too, I'm glad others mentioned it because I thought I was just seeing things lol I guess you can give up the reach when you're skating is so effortless.

I've seen quite a bit of footage of him now and every time I lose my mind at the way he floats around the ice.

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
The kid sounds cocky.

He's not cocky. From what I know and what I've heard, he barely ever talks about himself and is all about the team.

I'm seriously baffled as to how he fell to 4. Especially why Erie passed on him. I guarantee they will regret it.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
He's not cocky. From what I know and what I've heard, he barely ever talks about himself and is all about the team.

I'm seriously baffled as to how he fell to 4. Especially why Erie passed on him. I guarantee they will regret it.
Only thing that makes sense is he didn't wanna play for the first 3 teams, and since they can't trade the picks they just had to pass on him to ensure they got a guy they liked.

Scarecrow Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Only thing that makes sense is he didn't wanna play for the first 3 teams, and since they can't trade the picks they just had to pass on him to ensure they got a guy they liked.
I wonder if his parents grew up in the Mississauga area or has other family ties there or something? Otherwise I don't see why he would refuse to play for those other three teams.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:14 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I wonder if his parents grew up in the Mississauga area or has other family ties there or something? Otherwise I don't see why he would refuse to play for those other three teams.
He did not refuse, it was known that he would report to any team. The problem was that teams had scouted the top players quadruple the amount of times they had seen Day. Plus they were unaware if he would even get the status. Even before he was awarded exceptional status, Dylan Strome, Travis Konecny and Matt Spencer were already factored in as the most dominant players in this class. Plus the teams had already made deals with these players. He is an exceptional skater, but most scouts felt Spencer was the better all around defensemen.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:43 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Brain Presence View Post
So Windsor has better smelling air than Detroit even though it's south of Detroit?. That international border has strange, mysterious powers.
Perhaps it has nothing to do with the border itself...from what I know of the area, there are significant environmental differences between the Detroit area and Windsor. That said, it still does seem a bit of an odd comment...he basically said Detroit stinks, which is politically uncool, even of you were raised in the Detroit area.

Most of all, I attribute his comments to him still being a kid.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:21 PM
jfb392

If you want to see him play some spring hockey for the East Coast Selects Ontario at the World Selects tournament, his game tonight vs Ural Selects should be streamed here at 8PM EDT.
He'll be wearing #55.
Another player to watch is #7 Nic Sicoly who has played up with the 97 Soo Thunder for a few years.

Just a reminder though that this will essentially be Major Bantam level, as it's for the 98 age group.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:14 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
If you want to see him play some spring hockey for the East Coast Selects Ontario at the World Selects tournament, his game tonight vs Ural Selects should be streamed here at 8PM EDT.
He'll be wearing #55.
Another player to watch is #7 Nic Sicoly who has played up with the 97 Soo Thunder for a few years.

Just a reminder though that this will essentially be Major Bantam level, as it's for the 98 age group.
And from what I gather he has 3 goals and 2 assists in 2 games yesterday. Haven't been able to figure out his complete stat sheet.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:03 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
And from what I gather he has 3 goals and 2 assists in 2 games yesterday. Haven't been able to figure out his complete stat sheet.
Preliminary round: 5GP 4-3-7 6 PIMs
Playoffs: 1GP 2-0-2 2 PIMs

Yesterday he had the GTG and GWG and destroyed a kid that tried to dispossess him along the wall.
He also had some of his Steelheads gear (gloves and pants) on.

Today he'll play another playoff game against New England Nordiques at 8AM EDT, a team which includes a top prospect for the 2014 OHL Priority Selection, #4 Cole Candella (Toronto Jr. Canadiens).
It can be seen via the same link as before.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Preliminary round: 5GP 4-3-7 6 PIMs
Playoffs: 1GP 2-0-2 2 PIMs

Yesterday he had the GTG and GWG and destroyed a kid that tried to dispossess him along the wall.
He also had some of his Steelheads gear (gloves and pants) on.

Today he'll play another playoff game against New England Nordiques at 8AM EDT, a team which includes a top prospect for the 2014 OHL Priority Selection, #4 Cole Candella (Toronto Jr. Canadiens).
It can be seen via the same link as before.
Ya I think he may well make Ottawa and Erie regret their decision of passing on this guy who would have been in their line-up for 3 years. Keep the thread updated, please! much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing him for the 1st time in the All Canadian game in July.