HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Stefan Elliott recalled

Old
04-07-2013, 01:21 AM
dahrougem2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I like giving Elliott the last 10 games in the NHL and then having him start next year eating 25+ minutes a night for Lake Erie with his buddy Duncan Siemens.
If we draft Jones, one of either Barrie or Elliott must be traded. Now, I know a lot of people here are really high on Barrie but I'd like to see how much Elliott's game improves when Siemens arrives

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:23 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
If we draft Jones, one of either Barrie or Elliott must be traded. Now, I know a lot of people here are really high on Barrie but I'd like to see how much Elliott's game improves when Siemens arrives
Not necessarily true. It's not the end of the world if we have four (potentially) very good right-handed defensemen.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:04 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Not necessarily true. It's not the end of the world if we have four (potentially) very good right-handed defensemen.
Playing four rookie blueliners sounds like a recipe for disaster.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:09 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

vCash: 50
Quote:
we should wait until such time, rather than just trading barrie, and then watching elliot turn to a flop and then have barrie turn to shattenkirk 2.0

alot of people here are penciling in a seimens- elliot first pairing for lake erie next year.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:51 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
It's good to have competition.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Hilarious. Lets trade them while their value is low and then watch them grow like Shatty did with the Blues so we can all moan about trading them at the wrong time.

And as was said numerous times before, Seth Jones showed he can play on the left side on the ice, but for some crazy reason some of the posters here forget that all the time.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:14 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Hilarious. Lets trade them while their value is low and then watch them grow like Shatty did with the Blues so we can all moan about trading them at the wrong time.

And as was said numerous times before, Seth Jones showed he can play on the left side on the ice, but for some crazy reason some of the posters here forget that all the time.
Totally agree. I can't remember last time when we had such a potential defensemen coming up. I'm excited.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:14 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:

Clearly you must have read the words "right now" in my post but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Care to inform me where?

And sure, he's shown he can play there, you think he's comfortable there? You think you're getting the best out of Seth Jones if you play him on the left side? Absolutely not. Besides, what is the point of having Johnson, Jones, Barrie, AND Elliott all as right handed defenseman? Barrie and Elliott are pretty much the same player, there is no need for two of them

Old
04-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Clearly you must have read the words "right now" in my post but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Care to inform me where?

And sure, he's shown he can play there, you think he's comfortable there? You think you're getting the best out of Seth Jones if you play him on the left side? Absolutely not. Besides, what is the point of having Johnson, Jones, Barrie, AND Elliott all as right handed defenseman? Barrie and Elliott are pretty much the same player, there is no need for two of them
He can't play at his best on the left side? Based on what? He looked pretty damn good there when I saw him play there and his game didn't take a hit because of it.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:33 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
He can't play at his best on the left side? Based on what? He looked pretty damn good there when I saw him play there and his game didn't take a hit because of it.
Based on hockey history showing that defenseman are more comfortable on their strong side, along with defenseman stating that they would prefer the strong side. Does he play well on the left side? He could, I haven't seen him play, but as far as I know and my experience being around junior hockey, if there's the choice for a defenseman to play either the left or right side and he's a right shot, he's choosing the right side

Old
04-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
There seem to be so many young RH defensemen coming up these days. I feel like just like it used to be common to see LH dmen play their offside we'll inevitably start seeing some of these kids switching over to the left.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:

Barrie and Elliott the same player? Seth can't be effective on the left? Come on, don't let this season get to your head.

Whether we have 4 righties or 4 lefties, it doesn't matter. Just their skill and ability to play their offside. Seth can, it remains to be seen if Barrie or Elliott could. EJ cannot.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Based on hockey history showing that defenseman are more comfortable on their strong side, along with defenseman stating that they would prefer the strong side. Does he play well on the left side? He could, I haven't seen him play, but as far as I know and my experience being around junior hockey, if there's the choice for a defenseman to play either the left or right side and he's a right shot, he's choosing the right side
So history is a more important factor, despite Seth proving he can play on the left side in the biggest competition for juniors?

And to adress your previous post, Stef and Tyson most certainly aren't the same player.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:18 PM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Can't be worst than playing four dusters (Zannon, O'Byrne, O'Brien and Hunwick)..

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Elliott and Barrie will be third year pros next season. I'm not sure looking at them as rookies is appropriate. Especially Barrie, who I think is a NHLer already.

I do agree that penciling in Elliott/Siemens/Jones in three spots out of six is too risky.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:26 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Elliott and Barrie will be third year pros next season. I'm not sure looking at them as rookies is appropriate. Especially Barrie, who I think is a NHLer already.

I do agree that penciling in Elliott/Siemens/Jones in three spots out of six is too risky.
True, perhaps the better term would be "NHL Rookies", I think both have had some semblance of accomplishment in the AHL, Barrie more so than Elliott.

Hopefully Elliott can turn it around next year, injuries and being recalled to only sit in the pressbox haven't helped him, but it does seem like he was turning it around before his latest recall.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

The youth movement up front went rather well in my opinion. I can't see playing all three being any worse of a decision than playing SOB/Hunwick/Zanon regularly.

Siemens > Zanon, Elliott > Hunwick, Jones > SOB, even if all three were to be put on our blue line tomorrow night that would remain accurate.

I think it makes sense to move one of those three bottom pairing guys, let Siemens and Elliott start out 20 games in the AHL and then make a decision around the quarter mark. It also depends on what, if any moves we make this offseason. Signing Streit, change of coaches, moving Staz, etc.

We could have 4 new defenders on the blueline next season for all we know.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

The youth movement up front went rather well in my opinion. I can't see playing all three being any worse of a decision than playing SOB/Hunwick/Zanon regularly.

Siemens > Zanon, Elliott > Hunwick, Jones > SOB, even if all three were to be put on our blue line tomorrow night that would remain accurate.

I think it makes sense to move one of those three bottom pairing guys, let Siemens and Elliott start out 20 games in the AHL and then make a decision around the quarter mark. It also depends on what, if any moves we make this offseason. Signing Streit, change of coaches, moving Staz, etc.

We could have 4 new defenders on the blueline next season for all we know.
If they earn spots in camp, I think they should play. The problem is that you build a team in July and camp is in September. You can't gamble on all of them being ready.

Billington, Pracey and so on will have a good idea of how ready players are so it's not like you go into July blind. If they feel Siemens is NHL ready with 90% certainty, they you give him a spot in summer and if he crashes and burns you find another solution.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

I've only seen elliott a few times this season, and lst night seemed better defensively. has he beem better this season or no? i

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:10 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Defensively, he has improved compared to last year. Offensively, he seems to be focusing more on defense this year than anything.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:56 PM
PeterTheGreat

Whats the point of calling him up and then not use him on any PP unit.

I don't get it. Thats supposed to be his calling card.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:54 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
So history is a more important factor, despite Seth proving he can play on the left side in the biggest competition for juniors?

And to adress your previous post, Stef and Tyson most certainly aren't the same player.
Jonathan Hubredeau showed that he can play left wing in the biggest competition for juniors yet you don't see the Panthers playing him on the wing now do you? I said that he very well could be successful but I bet if given the choice, he would prefer the right side almost every time, its just natural for players

And now Elliott and Barrie aren't the same players? Small, puck-moving offensive defenseman who will be looked upon to quarterback a powerplay? I'm not talking skill-set here, obviously Elliott looks faster and has the better shot while Barrie seems to have grasped the defensive game a bit better, but they are most certainly the same type of player and if we've got Johnson and Jones, why keep both of these guys? Just doesn't make sense to me

Old
04-07-2013, 11:57 PM
cgf

Quote:
That's dumb until they both have established themselves in the NHL. Then we will use one to upgrade our wingers.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:03 AM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
And now Elliott and Barrie aren't the same players? Small, puck-moving offensive defenseman who will be looked upon to quarterback a powerplay? I'm not talking skill-set here, obviously Elliott looks faster and has the better shot while Barrie seems to have grasped the defensive game a bit better, but they are most certainly the same type of player and if we've got Johnson and Jones, why keep both of these guys? Just doesn't make sense to me
Elliott, if he reaches his potential, will be what you said. A smell, puck-moving defenseman who will be looked on to quarterback a powerplay. His defensive game needs some work.

Barrie on the other hand, is a much better two way defenseman that won't completely be relied on for his offense. He'll end up with fewer points(my guess is a 30-35 guy)but will play a more responsible defensive game.

Saying they're the same is like saying Brian Rafalski and Mike Green are the same. One is a top 4 two way defenseman(Rafalski) while the other is relied on create offense while having defensive deficiencies(Green).

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Pretty sure "recipe for disaster" has already been cooked and served up right now.

Not saying we have to play all four, just saying having four RH d-men in the system isn't a big deal. The poster I was replying to said we have to trade one if we draft Jones, which I don't think is a must.

And BTW, one of them's not a rookie. The four I'm referring to (if the draft plays out like we hope) are: Johnson, Jones, Barrie, and Elliott.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote