2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 04:56 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
If we could trade backlund to move from 18th to around 10 would you do it?
Depends who we take at 10 and who is there at 18.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Looking at RFA's players I think we will target with one of the late firsts
Runblad,Cole,McDonagh (pipe dream)
I think RFA rules state that only your own picks can be awarded as compensation for signing rfas

Old
04-07-2013, 05:07 PM
gdaddy21

Quote:
Top 7 pick and I would DEFINITELY do it.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy21 View Post
Top 7 pick and I would DEFINITELY do it.
if backlund wasn't so injury prone we might have be able to get that.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:15 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
I wouldn't. We don't have a lot of players that were drafted and brought up in our organization and Backlund has been and is playing better this year. He is gaining more confidence and possibly next year could be even better. Even if he tops out as a second liner, we should hang on to him cause you never know what you're gonna get in the draft.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I would trade Backlund and the STL 1st if that would land us Shinkaruk.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Volica

I know we're rebuilding, but; do some of you guys know we kind of need players to actually play hockey? Free agents are expensive and won't come to Calgary short term (thus ****ing up a true rebuild). And not rush kids who NOT ready to play in the NHL into the NHL. That's how you **** up player development.

Would I use Backlund to move from 17/18 to 10? No. He's a good second line center that has been a bright spot in an otherwise very dim season (along with Brodie). Plus at like that 10-20 range there's really nothing certain. Unless a player like Ristolainen, Monahan Zadorov or Lindholm really slips (they won't); it's not worth it.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:30 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
I know we're rebuilding, but; do some of you guys know we kind of need players to actually play hockey? Free agents are expensive and won't come to Calgary short term (thus ****ing up a true rebuild). And not rush kids who NOT ready to play in the NHL into the NHL. That's how you **** up player development.

Would I use Backlund to move from 17/18 to 10? No. He's a good second line center that has been a bright spot in an otherwise very dim season (along with Brodie). Plus at like that 10-20 range there's really nothing certain. Unless a player like Ristolainen, Monahan Zadorov or Lindholm really slips (they won't); it's not worth it.
Agree with you.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:34 PM
herashak

i don't know i just don't see backlund as our #2 C of the future

Old
04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post

Meh I get what your saying but if Barkov falls to 10 I do STL 1st + Backlund to move up. Like I said it depends who is there at 10.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
i don't know i just don't see backlund as our #2 C of the future
Why not?

Old
04-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

If we draft MacKinnon, we have Tanguay, Stajan, Reinhart, Horak, who can all play C. Shinkaruk to me fills a bigger organizational need. To me, I don't see much risk associated with him at becoming a very good NHL'er. I'd also make that move to grab Monahan without hesitation even if we draft Mac.

Backlund's injuries are a major concern to me.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
If we draft MacKinnon, we have Tanguay, Stajan, Reinhart, Horak, who can all play C. Shinkaruk to me fills a bigger organizational need. To me, I don't see much risk associated with him at becoming a very good NHL'er. I'd also make that move to grab Monahan without hesitation even if we draft Mac.

Backlund's injuries are a major concern to me.
Can play center and actually being a centerman are completely different things. This team needs to stop putting wingers in the center position, its a reason we suck so much so why continue to do it? Stajan is our only natural centerman. Reinhart and Horak are unproven and in fact Horak has played wing all year.

Agree about Backlunds injury problems though, guy is so soft.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Can play center and actually being a centerman are completely different things. This team needs to stop putting wingers in the center position, its a reason we suck so much so why continue to do it? Stajan is our only natural centerman. Reinhart and Horak are unproven and in fact Horak has played wing all year.

All Backlund has ever done is show flashes. You can't help not like his potential, but I don't know where he's gonna fit in if we have Mac/Barkov, then Jankow in a few years. Reinhart I think will be an excellent #3 in the near future. I'd move Backlund to grab another high end prospect.

You and others are definitely right about not plugging wingers into fill in at C, but I'm not sure that Backlund is a long term answer.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:21 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
ISS March Rankings.

Here's their Top Five
1. Seth Jones
2. Valery Nichushkin
3. Nathan MacKinnon
4. Jonathan Drouin
5. Darnell Nurse

IF the Flames picked off that list (and the season ended today, and the lottery doesn't change things)...

#3 - Nathan MacKinnon (C, Halifax, QMJHL)
#18 - Alexander Wennberg (C, Djurgarden, SweJE)
#29 - Nic Petan (C, Portland, WHL)
I would be so happy if we got Mackinnon, Hagg, and Hartman all in the draft.
That gives us a 1st line caliber player, a very good defenceman, and a gritty skilled winger

Old
04-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Gary83*

So Backlund for the ten pick.

Sven for a top ten pick.

Package those firsts Gaudreau and Brodie for a 10-15 pick.

It's awesome guyz! Forever rebuilding!!!!

Old
04-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Looking at RFA's players I think we will target with one of the late firsts
Runblad,Cole,McDonagh (pipe dream)
Rundblad doesn't have much of a defensive game to speak of. Cole doesn't make sense, especially for the St.Louis first. If the Flames had wanted him, they could have likely had him instead of the first rounder. And Sather would ask for the Flames own first rounder in a potential deal with McDonaugh. It is a pipe dream.

On that line of thinking though, if the Flames are delusional enough to think they can actually be competitive next season, maybe they decide to offer sheet a RFA defensemen like McDonaugh or Pietrangelo after the 2013 draft if they're still unsigned. They would using 2014 picks in that scenario.
Quote:
Depends on who's available but most likely not. Flame fans are far too eager to give up on prospects at the first sign of trouble. You already see Baertschi as potential trade bait now in more than a few proposals, while just a few months ago, he was pretty much untouchable. Fans need to understand that growth isn't always linear.

And with regards to the too many centremen down the road, a) talk about jumping the guy, and b) the Flames could always just move a centremen to the wing, like the Kings did with Carter or the Bruins with Seguin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Backlund is a natural centermen and he isn't soft. Maybe you're just confusing injury prone with soft, but they're not the same. Yesterday, Backlund goes into the corner and gets nailed by a Canuck player. What does he do? He gets right back up, slams the guy the guy that hit him into the boards, and then proceeds to hit the next Canucks also battling in that corner. That's not soft.

And whole panic over him being injury prone seems incredibly overstated. He's had some bad luck, but it's way too premature to label him as injury prone. And the amount of jump and promise he's shown this season are worth far more than whatever the Flames could receive in trade for him.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
So Backlund for the ten pick.

Sven for a top ten pick.

Package those firsts Gaudreau and Brodie for a 10-15 pick.

It's awesome guyz! Forever rebuilding!!!!
No one is suggesting giving him away. But he's only played in roughly 50% of our games over the last 2 seasons. Depending on who's available, I would entertain the idea of shopping him to move up.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Rundblad doesn't have much of a defensive game to speak of. Cole doesn't make sense, especially for the St.Louis first. If the Flames had wanted him, they could have likely had him instead of the first rounder. And Sather would ask for the Flames own first rounder in a potential deal with McDonaugh. It is a pipe dream.

On that line of thinking though, if the Flames are delusional enough to think they can actually be competitive next season, maybe they decide to offer sheet a RFA defensemen like McDonaugh or Pietrangelo after the 2013 draft if they're still unsigned. They would using 2014 picks in that scenario.

Depends on who's available but most likely not. Flame fans are far too eager to give up on prospects at the first sign of trouble. You already see Baertschi as potential trade bait now in more than a few proposals, while just a few months ago, he was pretty much untouchable. Fans need to understand that growth isn't always linear.

And with regards to the too many centremen down the road, a) talk about jumping the guy, and b) the Flames could always just move a centremen to the wing, like the Kings did with Carter or the Bruins with Seguin.

Backlund is a natural centermen and he isn't soft. Maybe you're just confusing injury prone with soft, but they're not the same. Yesterday, Backlund goes into the corner and gets nailed by a Canuck player. What does he do? He gets right back up, slams the guy the guy that hit him into the boards, and then proceeds to hit the next Canucks also battling in that corner. That's not soft.

And whole panic over him being injury prone seems incredibly overstated. He's had some bad luck, but it's way too premature to label him as injury prone. And the amount of jump and promise he's shown this season are worth far more than whatever the Flames could receive in trade for him.
You wouldn't trade him with a 1st to get Monahan?

Old
04-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
I don't think it works that way (I know you likely just worded it poorly), the risk of trading up is that you never know who might be available where you originally would be picking.

I would definitely move Backlund along with the St. Louis pick to get into to the top 10.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:09 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Keep Backlund and slide him to wing if we ever get the opportunity to complain about too many centers. I don't think Barkov slips to 10th

Old
04-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I don't think it works that way (I know you likely just worded it poorly), the risk of trading up is that you never know who might be available where you originally would be picking.

I would definitely move Backlund along with the St. Louis pick to get into to the top 10.
The move would probably get done at the draft just prior to the selection. I would only make the move if the guy we wanted was available and we were guaranteed get to get him.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
You wouldn't trade him with a 1st to get Monahan?
Maybe. Of course I'd also trade Backlund and a first to get Barkov but that's not going to happen either.

Monahan will likely be picked somewhere between the 6th and 8th spot. Best case scenario with the Blues pick is if they finish 15th. Is the 15th overall pick and Backlund enough to move into the 6th or 8th spot? I don't believe it is.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
The move would probably get done at the draft just prior to the selection. I would only make the move if the guy we wanted was available and we were guaranteed get to get him.
I was saying you have no idea who would be available at 18 when you make a trade to move up for the 10th

Old
04-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Maybe. Of course I'd also trade Backlund and a first to get Barkov but that's not going to happen either.

Monahan will likely be picked somewhere between the 6th and 8th spot. Best case scenario with the Blues pick is if they finish 15th. Is the 15th overall pick and Backlund enough to move into the 6th or 8th spot? I don't believe it is.
Hard to say, if 3 dman go in the top 9 then I could see Monahan falling to the 10th spot. Last years draft was probably one of the unpredictable that I've seen.

Closed Thread