HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2013, 04:56 PM
  #226
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
If we could trade backlund to move from 18th to around 10 would you do it?
Depends who we take at 10 and who is there at 18.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:04 PM
  #227
Body Checker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Looking at RFA's players I think we will target with one of the late firsts
Runblad,Cole,McDonagh (pipe dream)
I think RFA rules state that only your own picks can be awarded as compensation for signing rfas

Body Checker is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:07 PM
  #228
gdaddy21
Registered User
 
gdaddy21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
If we could trade backlund to move from 18th to around 10 would you do it?
Top 7 pick and I would DEFINITELY do it.

gdaddy21 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
  #229
herashak
Registered User
 
herashak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,869
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy21 View Post
Top 7 pick and I would DEFINITELY do it.
if backlund wasn't so injury prone we might have be able to get that.

herashak is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:15 PM
  #230
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Depends who we take at 10 and who is there at 18.
I wouldn't. We don't have a lot of players that were drafted and brought up in our organization and Backlund has been and is playing better this year. He is gaining more confidence and possibly next year could be even better. Even if he tops out as a second liner, we should hang on to him cause you never know what you're gonna get in the draft.

tyflames is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:25 PM
  #231
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,108
vCash: 50
I would trade Backlund and the STL 1st if that would land us Shinkaruk.

Johnny Hoxville is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:26 PM
  #232
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 500
I know we're rebuilding, but; do some of you guys know we kind of need players to actually play hockey? Free agents are expensive and won't come to Calgary short term (thus ****ing up a true rebuild). And not rush kids who NOT ready to play in the NHL into the NHL. That's how you **** up player development.

Would I use Backlund to move from 17/18 to 10? No. He's a good second line center that has been a bright spot in an otherwise very dim season (along with Brodie). Plus at like that 10-20 range there's really nothing certain. Unless a player like Ristolainen, Monahan Zadorov or Lindholm really slips (they won't); it's not worth it.

Volica is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:30 PM
  #233
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,919
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
I know we're rebuilding, but; do some of you guys know we kind of need players to actually play hockey? Free agents are expensive and won't come to Calgary short term (thus ****ing up a true rebuild). And not rush kids who NOT ready to play in the NHL into the NHL. That's how you **** up player development.

Would I use Backlund to move from 17/18 to 10? No. He's a good second line center that has been a bright spot in an otherwise very dim season (along with Brodie). Plus at like that 10-20 range there's really nothing certain. Unless a player like Ristolainen, Monahan Zadorov or Lindholm really slips (they won't); it's not worth it.
Agree with you.

InfinityIggy is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:34 PM
  #234
herashak
Registered User
 
herashak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,869
vCash: 50
i don't know i just don't see backlund as our #2 C of the future

herashak is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
  #235
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
I know we're rebuilding, but; do some of you guys know we kind of need players to actually play hockey? Free agents are expensive and won't come to Calgary short term (thus ****ing up a true rebuild). And not rush kids who NOT ready to play in the NHL into the NHL. That's how you **** up player development.

Would I use Backlund to move from 17/18 to 10? No. He's a good second line center that has been a bright spot in an otherwise very dim season (along with Brodie). Plus at like that 10-20 range there's really nothing certain. Unless a player like Ristolainen, Monahan Zadorov or Lindholm really slips (they won't); it's not worth it.
Meh I get what your saying but if Barkov falls to 10 I do STL 1st + Backlund to move up. Like I said it depends who is there at 10.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
  #236
King In The North
Sean Bennett
 
King In The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
i don't know i just don't see backlund as our #2 C of the future
Why not?

King In The North is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:44 PM
  #237
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,108
vCash: 50
If we draft MacKinnon, we have Tanguay, Stajan, Reinhart, Horak, who can all play C. Shinkaruk to me fills a bigger organizational need. To me, I don't see much risk associated with him at becoming a very good NHL'er. I'd also make that move to grab Monahan without hesitation even if we draft Mac.

Backlund's injuries are a major concern to me.

Johnny Hoxville is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
  #238
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild
 
FLAMES666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,346
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
If we draft MacKinnon, we have Tanguay, Stajan, Reinhart, Horak, who can all play C. Shinkaruk to me fills a bigger organizational need. To me, I don't see much risk associated with him at becoming a very good NHL'er. I'd also make that move to grab Monahan without hesitation even if we draft Mac.

Backlund's injuries are a major concern to me.
Can play center and actually being a centerman are completely different things. This team needs to stop putting wingers in the center position, its a reason we suck so much so why continue to do it? Stajan is our only natural centerman. Reinhart and Horak are unproven and in fact Horak has played wing all year.

Agree about Backlunds injury problems though, guy is so soft.

FLAMES666 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 06:03 PM
  #239
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Can play center and actually being a centerman are completely different things. This team needs to stop putting wingers in the center position, its a reason we suck so much so why continue to do it? Stajan is our only natural centerman. Reinhart and Horak are unproven and in fact Horak has played wing all year.

Agree about Backlunds injury problems though, guy is so soft.
All Backlund has ever done is show flashes. You can't help not like his potential, but I don't know where he's gonna fit in if we have Mac/Barkov, then Jankow in a few years. Reinhart I think will be an excellent #3 in the near future. I'd move Backlund to grab another high end prospect.

You and others are definitely right about not plugging wingers into fill in at C, but I'm not sure that Backlund is a long term answer.

Johnny Hoxville is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 07:21 PM
  #240
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
ISS March Rankings.

Here's their Top Five
1. Seth Jones
2. Valery Nichushkin
3. Nathan MacKinnon
4. Jonathan Drouin
5. Darnell Nurse

IF the Flames picked off that list (and the season ended today, and the lottery doesn't change things)...

#3 - Nathan MacKinnon (C, Halifax, QMJHL)
#18 - Alexander Wennberg (C, Djurgarden, SweJE)
#29 - Nic Petan (C, Portland, WHL)
I would be so happy if we got Mackinnon, Hagg, and Hartman all in the draft.
That gives us a 1st line caliber player, a very good defenceman, and a gritty skilled winger

tyflames is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 08:11 PM
  #241
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
So Backlund for the ten pick.

Sven for a top ten pick.

Package those firsts Gaudreau and Brodie for a 10-15 pick.

It's awesome guyz! Forever rebuilding!!!!

Gary83* is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 08:27 PM
  #242
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Looking at RFA's players I think we will target with one of the late firsts
Runblad,Cole,McDonagh (pipe dream)
Rundblad doesn't have much of a defensive game to speak of. Cole doesn't make sense, especially for the St.Louis first. If the Flames had wanted him, they could have likely had him instead of the first rounder. And Sather would ask for the Flames own first rounder in a potential deal with McDonaugh. It is a pipe dream.

On that line of thinking though, if the Flames are delusional enough to think they can actually be competitive next season, maybe they decide to offer sheet a RFA defensemen like McDonaugh or Pietrangelo after the 2013 draft if they're still unsigned. They would using 2014 picks in that scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
If we could trade backlund to move from 18th to around 10 would you do it?
Depends on who's available but most likely not. Flame fans are far too eager to give up on prospects at the first sign of trouble. You already see Baertschi as potential trade bait now in more than a few proposals, while just a few months ago, he was pretty much untouchable. Fans need to understand that growth isn't always linear.

And with regards to the too many centremen down the road, a) talk about jumping the guy, and b) the Flames could always just move a centremen to the wing, like the Kings did with Carter or the Bruins with Seguin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Agree about Backlunds injury problems though, guy is so soft.
Backlund is a natural centermen and he isn't soft. Maybe you're just confusing injury prone with soft, but they're not the same. Yesterday, Backlund goes into the corner and gets nailed by a Canuck player. What does he do? He gets right back up, slams the guy the guy that hit him into the boards, and then proceeds to hit the next Canucks also battling in that corner. That's not soft.

And whole panic over him being injury prone seems incredibly overstated. He's had some bad luck, but it's way too premature to label him as injury prone. And the amount of jump and promise he's shown this season are worth far more than whatever the Flames could receive in trade for him.

Calculon is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 08:34 PM
  #243
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
So Backlund for the ten pick.

Sven for a top ten pick.

Package those firsts Gaudreau and Brodie for a 10-15 pick.

It's awesome guyz! Forever rebuilding!!!!
No one is suggesting giving him away. But he's only played in roughly 50% of our games over the last 2 seasons. Depending on who's available, I would entertain the idea of shopping him to move up.

Johnny Hoxville is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 08:39 PM
  #244
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Rundblad doesn't have much of a defensive game to speak of. Cole doesn't make sense, especially for the St.Louis first. If the Flames had wanted him, they could have likely had him instead of the first rounder. And Sather would ask for the Flames own first rounder in a potential deal with McDonaugh. It is a pipe dream.

On that line of thinking though, if the Flames are delusional enough to think they can actually be competitive next season, maybe they decide to offer sheet a RFA defensemen like McDonaugh or Pietrangelo after the 2013 draft if they're still unsigned. They would using 2014 picks in that scenario.


Depends on who's available but most likely not. Flame fans are far too eager to give up on prospects at the first sign of trouble. You already see Baertschi as potential trade bait now in more than a few proposals, while just a few months ago, he was pretty much untouchable. Fans need to understand that growth isn't always linear.

And with regards to the too many centremen down the road, a) talk about jumping the guy, and b) the Flames could always just move a centremen to the wing, like the Kings did with Carter or the Bruins with Seguin.



Backlund is a natural centermen and he isn't soft. Maybe you're just confusing injury prone with soft, but they're not the same. Yesterday, Backlund goes into the corner and gets nailed by a Canuck player. What does he do? He gets right back up, slams the guy the guy that hit him into the boards, and then proceeds to hit the next Canucks also battling in that corner. That's not soft.

And whole panic over him being injury prone seems incredibly overstated. He's had some bad luck, but it's way too premature to label him as injury prone. And the amount of jump and promise he's shown this season are worth far more than whatever the Flames could receive in trade for him.
You wouldn't trade him with a 1st to get Monahan?

Johnny Hoxville is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 08:57 PM
  #245
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,883
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Depends who we take at 10 and who is there at 18.
I don't think it works that way (I know you likely just worded it poorly), the risk of trading up is that you never know who might be available where you originally would be picking.

I would definitely move Backlund along with the St. Louis pick to get into to the top 10.

Adirondack Flames is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 09:09 PM
  #246
King In The North
Sean Bennett
 
King In The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,496
vCash: 500
Keep Backlund and slide him to wing if we ever get the opportunity to complain about too many centers. I don't think Barkov slips to 10th

King In The North is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 09:17 PM
  #247
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I don't think it works that way (I know you likely just worded it poorly), the risk of trading up is that you never know who might be available where you originally would be picking.

I would definitely move Backlund along with the St. Louis pick to get into to the top 10.
The move would probably get done at the draft just prior to the selection. I would only make the move if the guy we wanted was available and we were guaranteed get to get him.

Johnny Hoxville is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
  #248
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
You wouldn't trade him with a 1st to get Monahan?
Maybe. Of course I'd also trade Backlund and a first to get Barkov but that's not going to happen either.

Monahan will likely be picked somewhere between the 6th and 8th spot. Best case scenario with the Blues pick is if they finish 15th. Is the 15th overall pick and Backlund enough to move into the 6th or 8th spot? I don't believe it is.

Calculon is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
  #249
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8,883
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The move would probably get done at the draft just prior to the selection. I would only make the move if the guy we wanted was available and we were guaranteed get to get him.
I was saying you have no idea who would be available at 18 when you make a trade to move up for the 10th

Adirondack Flames is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 09:39 PM
  #250
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Maybe. Of course I'd also trade Backlund and a first to get Barkov but that's not going to happen either.

Monahan will likely be picked somewhere between the 6th and 8th spot. Best case scenario with the Blues pick is if they finish 15th. Is the 15th overall pick and Backlund enough to move into the 6th or 8th spot? I don't believe it is.
Hard to say, if 3 dman go in the top 9 then I could see Monahan falling to the 10th spot. Last years draft was probably one of the unpredictable that I've seen.

Johnny Hoxville is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.