HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 03:29 PM
DeflatedFootball7

vCash: 500
Nitty had the unfortunate honor of becoming the starter during 06-07. No goalie would play good behind that horrifying team. He also would have been better if it wasn't for those hip problems imo.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Even though it was the Thrashers Nitty's flat out dominance over that franchise was crazy. He was a shoe-in for the start and a win every time we played them.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I think we should trade Bryz back to Phoenix since Mike Smith isn't working out for them.
if Louongo is untradeble atm, then Bryz is untradeable till the end of the known world given his play/caphit.

amnesty is our salvation.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Bryz has negative value. We would need to pay another team to take him.

At least we could have expected positive return for Briere.

04-07-2013, 04:19 PM
MP92
blah

Ya know, I know the Yotes play a goalie friendly style of hockey and we.... don't, but still, how does Bryz go from being a Vezina candidate to one of the worst goalies in the league? It can't be just the change of systems, can it? I mean he looks like he's never played the position in his life with his awkward mechanics and everything.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:26 PM
BroadStreetPhila

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I would think he gets another year next year. Next summer though no matter what he should get bought out.
I can completely see this happening. Unless better options pan out in the offseason, Homer will keep Bryz for another year until it's the last opportunity to buy him out. I fully expect Mason to get the Lion's share of the workload next year though.

Altough, he could be bought out this year if the clearing of salary cap room is necessary.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Ya know, I know the Yotes play a goalie friendly style of hockey and we.... don't, but still, how does Bryz go from being a Vezina candidate to one of the worst goalies in the league? It can't be just the change of systems, can it? I mean he looks like he's never played the position in his life with his awkward mechanics and everything.
That system doesn't make the goalie move around as much as the Flyers do. The guys just not athletic enough to play in this system here.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:31 PM
MP92
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That system doesn't make the goalie move around as much as the Flyers do. The guys just not athletic enough to play in this system here.
Yeah I know that, but if Im not mistaken, wasn't he one of the better breakaway and shootout goalies when he was with the Yotes? Now it's a miracle if he stops one.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:39 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Yeah I know that, but if Im not mistaken, wasn't he one of the better breakaway and shootout goalies when he was with the Yotes? Now it's a miracle if he stops one.
I have no idea. I didn't really no much about him until we got him. I honestly have no idea why the guy sucks so bad though. I tried thinking of every possible variable and can't come up with a reasonable solution.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Well he sure wasn't nearly as bad.

This season: .444 shootout %
Last season: .480 shootout %

10-11: .656
09-10: .726
08-09: .500
07-08: .692
06-07: .538

So, I guess the crappy flyers defense caused him to suck in the shootouts too eh?

Old
04-07-2013, 04:47 PM
BroadStreetPhila

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
And yet the rest of HFBoards still thinks our defense sucks...

Our defense sucks like 2nd rounders are valuable assets.

**** Bryzgalov. I know he won't be bought out until the summer of 2014, but I want it to happen now. You can't pay Michael Leighton 5.67m/year. It doesn't work.

EDIT:

Also, fun...

Bryzgalov
SV%: 0.896
GAA: 2.88

Mason
SV%: 0.901
GAA: 2.87

Old
04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post

So, I guess the crappy flyers defense caused him to suck in the shootouts too eh?
That change is completely insane.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:06 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:

Bryz can't handle the pressure of a big market and the expectations that come from his contract. He has wilted under all of that. Not enough mentally to take it, but that's ok some here will blame the defense.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Bryz can't handle the pressure of a big market and the expectations that come from his contract. He has wilted under all of that. Not enough mentally to take it, but that's ok some here will blame the defense.
There's often a change when players get a big, secure contract, too

Old
04-07-2013, 05:26 PM
BroadStreetPhila

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
No. I still go Leighton.
For the money, Bryz wins easily.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:33 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I doubt it. If the whole team had been playing less than putrid for most of this shortened season, they could probably hang the scapegoat horns on Bryzgalov and move ahead with the amnesty. But with no solid plan B in place, Holmgren and company would be foolish to reboot and start the carousel all over again.

As with many posters here (obviously not part of your 'everyone'), I think next year will be a test if Mason can handle a back-up role (20-25 games) and if Bryzgalov can rebound.
I agree with this ! Bryz certainly is having a time of it, and its gotta be tough mentally playing every game and trying to live up to the expectations of the huge contract etc etc BOBS situation is much better and i thought he would florish there like he is.....Having said that, our club has a helluva time finishing on scoring chances......We score 1 goal yesterday, and it was a fluke type goal to boot. G missed numerous chances and if Vorachek could ever learn to finish he could score 40+ goals a year. Couts is having a tough year where i am certain most of us expected much more. Harts numbers way down due to injury, banged up top Dman etc etc........Its just been a tough deal all the way around in my view....

Bryz will receive MOST of the blame certainly, but there is PLENTY to go around in my view. I like the Mason pick up, it should help alot !

Old
04-07-2013, 05:59 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There's often a change when players get a big, secure contract, too
Yeah, too bad NHL contracts aren't like NFL contracts where players are in danger of getting cut every year. If it was like that I see Holmgren extending large contracts every year and getting rid of large contracts every year. It would be a revolving door of most overpaid Flyer.

NFL contracts are the envy of all the owners in the other 3 major sports in the US.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
And yet the rest of HFBoards still thinks our defense sucks...

Our defense sucks like 2nd rounders are valuable assets.

**** Bryzgalov. I know he won't be bought out until the summer of 2014, but I want it to happen now. You can't pay Michael Leighton 5.67m/year. It doesn't work.

EDIT:

Also, fun...

Bryzgalov
SV%: 0.896
GAA: 2.88

Mason
SV%: 0.901
GAA: 2.87
Imagine if we traded the pick that landed us Stolarz.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:18 PM
TheKingPin

Any practices or anything that may point to mason getting the start?

Old
04-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
I really would like to see BP74 or one of the other few people (if they still even exist) who still support bryz try to explain this, with something other then "bryz sucks."

Because there is no other explanation. Maybe his defensemen should blow harder at the puck from the bench

Old
04-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Yeah, too bad NHL contracts aren't like NFL contracts where players are in danger of getting cut every year. If it was like that I see Holmgren extending large contracts every year and getting rid of large contracts every year. It would be a revolving door of most overpaid Flyer.

NFL contracts are the envy of all the owners in the other 3 major sports in the US.
Bryz actually is under pressure to keep his contract though. If he gets bought out he only gets 2/3 of it, and that will be paid over 14 or 12 years so the real value is even lower than two thirds.

Of course, he would be free to sign with any other team, but what team would give him a good deal? It's a different situation than Luongo who I see getting a 5 year $25 million contract if he is bought out.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:33 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
I really would like to see BP74 or one of the other few people (if they still even exist) who still support bryz try to explain this, with something other then "bryz sucks."

Because there is no other explanation. Maybe his defensemen should blow harder at the puck from the bench
No, no, no, no. Then the excuse for Bryz goes from defensive breakdown, perfect shot, deflected shot, breakaway, etc to defense helping him too much or the wind was a distraction.

It won't work I think.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I may be wrong here but if he gets a compliance buy-out he gets all the remaining money on his contract and the Flyers don't get his salary caphit counted anymore. Since the Flyers are a wealthy franchise could they just pay Bryz off the entire remaining money up front? Does it have to be paid year by year until the contract is up?

Anyway if Bryz gets bought-out I honestly can't see him playing in the NHL after that. I think he heads back home to the KHL. He was considering it before he signed with the Flyers, probably more of leverage move but with Russian players you can never count out the KHL as an option. He'll be a rich man when you add that money on top of the money he stole from the Flyers.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 07:35 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Bryz actually is under pressure to keep his contract though. If he gets bought out he only gets 2/3 of it, and that will be paid over 14 or 12 years so the real value is even lower than two thirds.

Of course, he would be free to sign with any other team, but what team would give him a good deal? It's a different situation than Luongo who I see getting a 5 year $25 million contract if he is bought out.
So? 2/3 of $30M+ is still a lot of dough. I am talking about straight up cuts without the buyout money. You would bet Bryz would/should be trying his hardest then.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Bryz actually is under pressure to keep his contract though. If he gets bought out he only gets 2/3 if it, and that will be paid over 14 or 12 years so the real value is even lower than two thirds.

Assuming the flyers keep him for one more season, he will have received almost half his contract by the end of next season.

24.5 million.

The balance of the contract is: 26.5 million over 6 years.
1/3 of that (the amount he loses by getting bought out) = 8.8 million.
So to replace that lost income, he has to get a 1.5 mil / year contract.

I don't see any incentive to not get bought out here.

Closed Thread