HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 06:24 PM
ShootsWide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Did you say you just started learning to lift the puck?

The shooting pads have more friction so it's easier to grab the puck and lift it. One thing you can do is try some silicone spray or Pledge spray to make it slicker, that helps.

But keep at it, the mechanics are the same, you just have to adjust your height in warmups and you're good. Get that muscle memory down. I worked my ass off with shooting pads off ice for years and have a pretty good shot (the only thing I can do worth a damn).
Thanks. I put pledge on it every day I'm gonna use it. I am gonna play inline though so idk how the pad compares to the tiles we are gonna play on. 2 more weeks till my first game so I'm really excited

Old
03-31-2013, 11:08 AM
SCritical

Well, I didn't do anything hockey related this easter sunday, but I was reflecting that last easter I spent the night in ER after getting a brutal concussion in drop in. This easter I spent the night seeing the Dropkick Murphys in concert

Old
04-01-2013, 05:51 AM
Timomies

Not today but saturday I played my first games as a goalie(tournament). I started playing goalie 6 weeks ago. First game our team lost 2-0. Our team didn't get any shots at that game (30mins) I made like 30 saves and one sliding glove save (lol). I was exhausted but it was great. Second game I played we lost 3-1. Good game also from me.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by setowildfan View Post
Today I experimented with my P92 curve (first half-decent stick) and find I get a higher and more stable shot shooting off the toe rather than going heel to toe, how I used to do it. I already shot bar up once and another shot went about 2 feet high and wide without even trying. I honestly never thought an open curve would help so much.

Very excited for when I'll be able to combine skating and shooting/stickhandling.

I also looked at some clearance hockey gloves on HockeyMonkey and TotalHockey online.
For a long time I resisted going open with curves because I thought "well I can lift the puck just fine". But then I found with open curves I can get more velocity on shots as well. I do fight high and wide though.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Ozz

I always played with open curves and built my shooting talents around them. As mentioned, i liked them because of the velocity you could put into wristers, which are my primary shot. I could place them anywhere though, rarely going wide or too high.

When I (recently) switched to a P88 I had trouble pin-pointing my shots, though raising pucks wasn't an issue. It seemed that shooting based on my familiarity with P92 and similar curves, I'd be off a foot or so usually to the inside of my shot. A couple stick & puck sessions was all it took and eventually I got so used to the P88 that I couldn't shoot well with my P92 I'm back to acing both though, thankfully.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Greasy Sliders

I plan on digging my net out of about 2 feet of snow... Anyone got any ideas that might speed up the process?

Old
04-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Had my first game of Spring league, first game in a new league as well.

On the plus side, the tempo/skill is a little lower than I've been playing the last couple years, so hopefully I can get my confidence going. Coming off a down year. And the rinks are a little smaller at this arena which means a little less skating which is always good.

On the down side, didn't play well, was exhausted on the ice, couldn't keep my feet moving, and wasn't shooting the puck well at all. I had a goal on the rush that beat the goalie literally on the ice, pipe in, but I was shooting high glove...ugh.

Lots of work to do.

Also, quit drinking last weekend, indefinitely. Noticed when I tracked calories for a few weeks that my food intake was typically under maintenance during the week and any time I had a few drinks, I would eat way, way more food than I need. Got into a bad habit of having lots of drinks on the weekend and eating food late into the night. Just disgusting and stupid.

Weekend was a little wonky as I'm used to tipping back a few so I was a bit out of it, wiped out feeling, and nauseous. Probably a good sign I had to cut back anyway.

So between that, the weekly skate, and working out twice a week with my kettlebell, I hope to hell I get in some kind of decent shape this summer. Oh, and getting some new tires for my bike and riding around with my girlfriend. And going to the park with my kid and running around when it gets nice out.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:30 PM
ShootsWide

Went out to do some stick time and some kids needed an extra player for a pick up game. I'm 23 and I don't think any of these kids were even 13 yet. Man did they crush my confidence. Although I've only been in a 4 week clinic and a couple of stick times. I know I have a lot of work to do. When we had some 10 min pick ups during our clinic I was maybe middle of the pack skill wise with the stick and one of the fastest skaters although I still can't hockey stop. Our league starts next Sunday so I have a week and a half to get a little better. It was my first time skating with my knew Vapor XR2's. They felt good but my feet did start to hurt after a while. I'm considering getting different wheels on it though. The stock wheels are indoor/outdoor 78A.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Chest Infected
Rookie User

Today I made a pretty awesome impulse buy. CCM RBZ 60 75 flex Nugent-Hopkins Buddy needed to go get a new nut protector and I made the mistake of playing with the RBZ. Absolutely didn't need a new twig already have a Bandito and a n8 but whatever. Hope to get in some stick and puck time with it this week. Man I'm a stick addict :/

Old
04-03-2013, 12:27 AM
BGFalconHawks

Today I signed up for an 8 week Adult Learn to Play Hockey clinic, pretty excited but now I need to go buy a back up stick...the Koho Jagr street stick isn't seeing any Ice time.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Ozz

Yesterday I signed up w/my goalie buddy for a draft-only league. We offered a stipulation to the staff that I'd sign up only if I could play on his team and they agreed. That's good or I would've skipped otherwise. We usually do stick & puck together every weekend and this will take place of that.

My full-time team is also signed up to defend our championship in the top division at the same rink.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Infected View Post
Today I made a pretty awesome impulse buy. CCM RBZ 60 75 flex Nugent-Hopkins Buddy needed to go get a new nut protector and I made the mistake of playing with the RBZ. Absolutely didn't need a new twig already have a Bandito and a n8 but whatever. Hope to get in some stick and puck time with it this week. Man I'm a stick addict :/
Did you get the nut cup?

I bought a Warrior Nut Hut last year but it was too small. If I end up losing the 30 pounds I want to, I'll be able to use it and retire my tattered WSI. Plus fit into my old Tacklas. Good incentive!

Old
04-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Frankie Spankie

It never ceases to amaze me how much people complain about stuff in beer league hockey. I was screening their goalie and a defender crosschecks me in the back, no shove, cross check. Later on in the shift, there was incidental contact with two other players, they were both even laughing about it, and this guy that just cross checked me is flipping out to the ref looking for a power play. Later on in the game he got a penalty for mouthing off.

I always find it hilarious though, people care so much about regular season games in a league where every team makes the playoffs. Just like how I laugh at people who don't show up for the "consolation game" or the first game of the season that doesn't count towards the standings. Go play hockey and have some fun, don't take the league so damn seriousl.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:40 AM
RJK
SHOOT MOAR!!!

made my first backhand sauce assist. also on a race for a puck around the opposing blue line the d man and I chopped at the puck. it bounced pretty much straight up and as i skated by i lifted my leg and played the puck off my knee like a soccer ball to myself for a break away(there was no goalie on either)

Old
04-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Well, technically, it was last night, not today, but... I ordered two replacement sticks (a couple model years ago, but they're what I like and am used to), a new pair of skates (after trying on a similar pair and getting the advice of my LHS owner) and a new visor for my reffing helmet. I ran into a good clearance deal and got all that for just a bit over $300. Felt like I got a good deal, for stuff I needed anyway.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Brunomics

Last night in men's league I got taken down in the third period on a breakaway. Score on the penalty shot which is the game winner. If you are out there I'd like to thank whoever you are that took me down

Old
04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Today I get to play against the dirtiest ball hockey team I have ever encountered. How do I get psyched to battle with guys who take rec league sports waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aay too seriously?

Old
04-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Heard a heartwarming story today.

Someone I know was refereeing for a sled hockey game and one of the players started complaining to him about some call or something (not sure).

My friend, the referee, responded by saying, "Sorry, I was too busy admiring what you guys are able to do."

My heart just about melted.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundblad View Post
Heard a heartwarming story today.

Someone I know was refereeing for a sled hockey game and one of the players started complaining to him about some call or something (not sure).

My friend, the referee, responded by saying, "Sorry, I was too busy admiring what you guys are able to do."

My heart just about melted.
I suppose it's in the delivery/context but my sister-in-law, who plays sled hockey, would probably find that condescending

Old
04-05-2013, 05:18 PM
7toZulu

The pro-stock Reebok 7000's i ordered the other day finally came. I can't believe how much protection these pants offer compared to the Easton S3 cheapo pants i was using forever. Also, these are a +2 in length, so my long ass legs wont get blasted above the knee anymore . I feel like I've switched from pants made of potato sacks to friggin tanks. Best. Purchase. Ever.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalconHawks View Post
Today I signed up for an 8 week Adult Learn to Play Hockey clinic, pretty excited but now I need to go buy a back up stick...the Koho Jagr street stick isn't seeing any Ice time.
Is that the bright yellow and red one? Thing was a beauty.

Old
04-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Frankie Spankie

Not today but the other night, almost had an amazing comeback a game after an amazing comeback.

Last week we were down a goal with 1:15 left in regulation and won in regulation. This past game earlier this week, we were down 6-3 with 1:20 left in regulation and brought it to 6-5 with 45 seconds in regulation. We had a couple big chances, especially one great one in the high slot in the dying seconds, but the puck just went wide.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Today a goalie (and most of his team) got pissed off at me for calling a delay of game penalty on him.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Man, I just don't feel comfortable shooting anything lately.

I've gone from 2.5" plugs to no plugs to 1" plugs, still nothing feels quite comfortable. My shots are closer to being on target but the height isn't quite there.

Last game, I had three openings where the goalie did not hug the post and I could easily shoot the puck in, I only got one of them in, two of them hit his chest. Game before, I aimed high blocker and the puck slid along the ice and went in low glove.

Bugs me because the control isn't there, and at this level I should be scoring more...well I probably shouldn't play here in the first place, but that's a different thing.

Planning on busting out the 4.75 lie Drury again, but I have to get some paint thinner and take down the many layers of crappy spray paint first.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:56 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundblad View Post
Today a goalie (and most of his team) got pissed off at me for calling a delay of game penalty on him.
But you made the other team pretty happy. What exactly did he do? I didn't have a good view.

Closed Thread