HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question from a Rangers fan...

Old
04-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
If Philly had good goaltending this season they would be closer to 50 points.
I'm not a fan of Bryz.
Bobrovsky had worse stats than Bryz last year on the same Flyers team. Now he's having a potential Vezina run for the Columbus frickin Blue Jackets.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
So nobody mentioned Khudobin yet again. Not surprised really, but here it is. Anton Khudobin, a passable stop-gap (UFA this summer).

Svedberg style?
I read Khudobin's name somewhere. You don't get credit sucka

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I read Khudobin's name somewhere. You don't get credit sucka
It was me last year. Piss off.

If we trade for somebody, it pretty much has to be Bernier, although his price is gonna be steep.

Last edited by Getzo5: 04-05-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Bernier impressed me last night even though I had the Canucks/Oilers game on the other TV. He made an incredible save on Parise. He's been better than Quick this year from what the stats, and my eyes both tell me. Quick better get his **** together or he might not get the starting job in the olympics. It will probably be Miller again because I can't see Anderson, Schneider, or Howard jumping ahead of him. Even though they could be just as good or better options.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Brodeur is turning 41 in a month. It seems like the guy doesn't age. Despite great numbers this year in 19 games, eventually it will be time for him to hang up the skates. I don't know what goaltender prospects the Devils have in the pipeline (which may answer this question).

Do they have any solid potential #1 goaltender prospects in the pipeline? If not, when do you guys expect they will make a trade for a future #1? If they do, how long until they will be ready? If not do you think they make a trade at the draft for a young goalie like Bernier or some one? I was kind of expecting them to pick up Ben Bishop yesterday but they never did... (the entire reason I came here to ask this question).

Thanks.

Edit* *I COME IN PEACE*
I'm sure it's been repeated, but right now, the Devils have Brodeur and Hedberg locked up until the end of the 2013-2014.

Barring some unforeseen immortality that Brodeur acquires, it's likely that he and Hedberg retire after their contracts are both up.

Right now, Devils have Wedgewood and Kinkaid who are our two main candidates to take the job. However, both Wedgewood and Kinkaid are inexperienced, that being said, it is likely we acquire a goalie to tandem with either Wedgewood or Kinkaid until one of them hits the ground running.

I could see us signing a Hiller-caliber goalie, to split the starts 50-30 with a young guy, for a couple years, before giving them the reigns.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

A lot of people forget we have Moose and Marty both signed through next year. I see a lot of people talking about trading for Bernier or someone else though. I doubt Moose is retiring, and he's been a fantastic backup for us. Next time one of them gets injured though it's imperative that Kinkaid gets a start though, especially in back to back situations where Marty or Moose would not have played had the played the night before.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Wedgewood, a young backup ready to break out (like Allen from St. Louis) via trade, or some random undrafted european we've never even heard of at this point that gets plucked from the ethereal landscape by Conte like Gandalf summoning a giant eagle.

That will be the next Devils long term starter.
My money is on Wedge. But who knows what Lou's plans are.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:56 PM
NYRCSKA

Rangers fan coming in peace. IMO, Brodeur will play until the Devils tell him to retire. Wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to make it to age 50.

NYRCSKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:32 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Well at least he came in peace....

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
NYRCSKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Well at least he came in peace....
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2..._nhl_lock.html

That just doesn't seem like a guy who is even close to wanting to retire. And why should he? He still has a blast playing and he's still one of the top goalies in the world.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:30 PM
OpethNJD
loldevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2..._nhl_lock.html

That just doesn't seem like a guy who is even close to wanting to retire. And why should he? He still has a blast playing and he's still one of the top goalies in the world.
I could see Marty signing a year extension, but I don't think his ego could let him backup one of the kids...either way if he does continue after this current contract there's no way he could handle the workload he has now

OpethNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:41 PM
NYRCSKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethNJD View Post
I could see Marty signing a year extension, but I don't think his ego could let him backup one of the kids...either way if he does continue after this current contract there's no way he could handle the workload he has now
They could do what the Wings did with Osgood and Hasek and bring in a guy like Nabokov to split ice time with Brodeur. Brodeur gets 48-50 games and Nabokov gets 30-32. Or they bring in a young guy and ask Brodeur to help groom him for a few years. As much as he's given to the Devils, I could easily see him help groom his replacement if the FO asked him to. He seems like a team first guy.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

I think if Marty gets to the point where his workload is cut by a lot then he probably will retire. If he doesn't then he likely won't look as effective. As we saw early in the 11/12 season when he got injured, and just wasn't working the same schedule that he's used to. You'll notice if he doesn't play that his rebound control because really bad.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
NYRCSKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I think if Marty gets to the point where his workload is cut by a lot then he probably will retire. If he doesn't then he likely won't look as effective. As we saw early in the 11/12 season when he got injured, and just wasn't working the same schedule that he's used to. You'll notice if he doesn't play that his rebound control because really bad.
I hear ya. I guess this offseason will be a good gauge on how the team and how he approaches his career/retirement possibilities. But IMO, a slightly less effective Brodeur is much better than pretty much all of the other options in terms of talent.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
I hear ya. I guess this offseason will be a good gauge on how the team and how he approaches his career/retirement possibilities. But IMO, a slightly less effective Brodeur is much better than pretty much all of the other options in terms of talent.
Even if his puck stopping ability declines then we'll still need his puck handling to help the breakout. We have like 3 puck moving defensemen including Brodeur!

Old
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

I'd like to see a rookie such as Kinkaid broken in next season for a few starts.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
I'd like to see a rookie such as Kinkaid broken in next season for a few starts.
As would I. Honestly, it should have been done by now. The kids have to sink or swim eventually, and they're leaving it a bit late to find out which one it is.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Signing Brodeur for two years was one thing. Doing the same with Hedberg is a bit hard to justify.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
FWIW, I think it would be pretty horrible for Anthony Brodeur to be selected by the Devils. I would not want to be that kid trying to live up to what his father was. I actually would hope the Devils pass on him for that reason alone.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I'm sure it's been repeated, but right now, the Devils have Brodeur and Hedberg locked up until the end of the 2013-2014.

Barring some unforeseen immortality that Brodeur acquires, it's likely that he and Hedberg retire after their contracts are both up.

Right now, Devils have Wedgewood and Kinkaid who are our two main candidates to take the job. However, both Wedgewood and Kinkaid are inexperienced, that being said, it is likely we acquire a goalie to tandem with either Wedgewood or Kinkaid until one of them hits the ground running.

I could see us signing a Hiller-caliber goalie, to split the starts 50-30 with a young guy, for a couple years, before giving them the reigns.
Who are we giving the other 2 starts to?

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
As would I. Honestly, it should have been done by now. The kids have to sink or swim eventually, and they're leaving it a bit late to find out which one it is.
This is where I blame Pete. While I can't blame Hedberg for that stretch when he wasn't even getting 2 goals of support per game, I think Pete dropped the ball by not at least trying to change momentum. These kids would have a chance with the Marty getting injured, but Pete never gave it to them. Pete is not a good coach when it comes to younger players which is BS. Even if Moose got injured I would have wanted to see one of the kids get a shot in a game that Moose would have otherwise started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
FWIW, I think it would be pretty horrible for Anthony Brodeur to be selected by the Devils. I would not want to be that kid trying to live up to what his father was. I actually would hope the Devils pass on him for that reason alone.
I think so too. No reason to really pick him up other than sentimentality.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I agree with you on this. And I don't think it will be an issue of sentimentality. By all accounts he isn't that good, and Lou says he always goes with the BPA.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:26 PM
blink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Wedgewood, a young backup ready to break out (like Allen from St. Louis) via trade, or some random undrafted european we've never even heard of at this point that gets plucked from the ethereal landscape by Conte like Gandalf summoning a giant eagle.
That will be the next Devils long term starter.
Antti Raanta says hi.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=17016

My guess is we get this guy or he joins Jarmo in Columbus...

blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Antti Raanta says hi.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=17016

My guess is we get this guy or he joins Jarmo in Columbus...
I know absolutely nothing about this guy. But I can see his stats from this year. I'm on-board with bringing him in for the hell of it. Why not.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:30 PM
blink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
I know absolutely nothing about this guy. But I can see his stats from this year. I'm on-board with bringing him in for the hell of it. Why not.
He's signed to another year in the SM-Liiga but all those contracts have NHL out clauses from my understanding.

I'm guessing a few NHL teams have their eyes on him. Hopefully Conte and the boys have done their homework here because those statistics are like eye candy.

blink is offline   Reply With Quote