HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question from a Rangers fan...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2013, 02:22 PM
  #51
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
If Philly had good goaltending this season they would be closer to 50 points.
I'm not a fan of Bryz.
Bobrovsky had worse stats than Bryz last year on the same Flyers team. Now he's having a potential Vezina run for the Columbus frickin Blue Jackets.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
  #52
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
So nobody mentioned Khudobin yet again. Not surprised really, but here it is. Anton Khudobin, a passable stop-gap (UFA this summer).

Svedberg style?
I read Khudobin's name somewhere. You don't get credit sucka

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:40 PM
  #53
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I read Khudobin's name somewhere. You don't get credit sucka
It was me last year. Piss off.



If we trade for somebody, it pretty much has to be Bernier, although his price is gonna be steep.


Last edited by Getzo5: 04-05-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:59 PM
  #54
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Bernier impressed me last night even though I had the Canucks/Oilers game on the other TV. He made an incredible save on Parise. He's been better than Quick this year from what the stats, and my eyes both tell me. Quick better get his **** together or he might not get the starting job in the olympics. It will probably be Miller again because I can't see Anderson, Schneider, or Howard jumping ahead of him. Even though they could be just as good or better options.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:52 PM
  #55
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Brodeur is turning 41 in a month. It seems like the guy doesn't age. Despite great numbers this year in 19 games, eventually it will be time for him to hang up the skates. I don't know what goaltender prospects the Devils have in the pipeline (which may answer this question).

Do they have any solid potential #1 goaltender prospects in the pipeline? If not, when do you guys expect they will make a trade for a future #1? If they do, how long until they will be ready? If not do you think they make a trade at the draft for a young goalie like Bernier or some one? I was kind of expecting them to pick up Ben Bishop yesterday but they never did... (the entire reason I came here to ask this question).

Thanks.


Edit* *I COME IN PEACE*
I'm sure it's been repeated, but right now, the Devils have Brodeur and Hedberg locked up until the end of the 2013-2014.

Barring some unforeseen immortality that Brodeur acquires, it's likely that he and Hedberg retire after their contracts are both up.

Right now, Devils have Wedgewood and Kinkaid who are our two main candidates to take the job. However, both Wedgewood and Kinkaid are inexperienced, that being said, it is likely we acquire a goalie to tandem with either Wedgewood or Kinkaid until one of them hits the ground running.

I could see us signing a Hiller-caliber goalie, to split the starts 50-30 with a young guy, for a couple years, before giving them the reigns.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:59 PM
  #56
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
A lot of people forget we have Moose and Marty both signed through next year. I see a lot of people talking about trading for Bernier or someone else though. I doubt Moose is retiring, and he's been a fantastic backup for us. Next time one of them gets injured though it's imperative that Kinkaid gets a start though, especially in back to back situations where Marty or Moose would not have played had the played the night before.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:39 AM
  #57
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Wedgewood, a young backup ready to break out (like Allen from St. Louis) via trade, or some random undrafted european we've never even heard of at this point that gets plucked from the ethereal landscape by Conte like Gandalf summoning a giant eagle.

That will be the next Devils long term starter.
My money is on Wedge. But who knows what Lou's plans are.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:56 PM
  #58
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Rangers fan coming in peace. IMO, Brodeur will play until the Devils tell him to retire. Wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to make it to age 50.

NYRCSKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:32 PM
  #59
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Well at least he came in peace....

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
  #60
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Well at least he came in peace....
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2..._nhl_lock.html

That just doesn't seem like a guy who is even close to wanting to retire. And why should he? He still has a blast playing and he's still one of the top goalies in the world.

NYRCSKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:30 PM
  #61
OpethNJD
loldevils
 
OpethNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vernon, Nj
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2..._nhl_lock.html

That just doesn't seem like a guy who is even close to wanting to retire. And why should he? He still has a blast playing and he's still one of the top goalies in the world.
I could see Marty signing a year extension, but I don't think his ego could let him backup one of the kids...either way if he does continue after this current contract there's no way he could handle the workload he has now

OpethNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:41 PM
  #62
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethNJD View Post
I could see Marty signing a year extension, but I don't think his ego could let him backup one of the kids...either way if he does continue after this current contract there's no way he could handle the workload he has now
They could do what the Wings did with Osgood and Hasek and bring in a guy like Nabokov to split ice time with Brodeur. Brodeur gets 48-50 games and Nabokov gets 30-32. Or they bring in a young guy and ask Brodeur to help groom him for a few years. As much as he's given to the Devils, I could easily see him help groom his replacement if the FO asked him to. He seems like a team first guy.

NYRCSKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:44 PM
  #63
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
I think if Marty gets to the point where his workload is cut by a lot then he probably will retire. If he doesn't then he likely won't look as effective. As we saw early in the 11/12 season when he got injured, and just wasn't working the same schedule that he's used to. You'll notice if he doesn't play that his rebound control because really bad.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
  #64
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I think if Marty gets to the point where his workload is cut by a lot then he probably will retire. If he doesn't then he likely won't look as effective. As we saw early in the 11/12 season when he got injured, and just wasn't working the same schedule that he's used to. You'll notice if he doesn't play that his rebound control because really bad.
I hear ya. I guess this offseason will be a good gauge on how the team and how he approaches his career/retirement possibilities. But IMO, a slightly less effective Brodeur is much better than pretty much all of the other options in terms of talent.

NYRCSKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
  #65
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
I hear ya. I guess this offseason will be a good gauge on how the team and how he approaches his career/retirement possibilities. But IMO, a slightly less effective Brodeur is much better than pretty much all of the other options in terms of talent.
Even if his puck stopping ability declines then we'll still need his puck handling to help the breakout. We have like 3 puck moving defensemen including Brodeur!

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
  #66
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Larsson's Lair
Country: United States
Posts: 17,449
vCash: 500
I'd like to see a rookie such as Kinkaid broken in next season for a few starts.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:46 PM
  #67
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
I'd like to see a rookie such as Kinkaid broken in next season for a few starts.
As would I. Honestly, it should have been done by now. The kids have to sink or swim eventually, and they're leaving it a bit late to find out which one it is.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:49 PM
  #68
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Signing Brodeur for two years was one thing. Doing the same with Hedberg is a bit hard to justify.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:58 PM
  #69
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
FWIW, I think it would be pretty horrible for Anthony Brodeur to be selected by the Devils. I would not want to be that kid trying to live up to what his father was. I actually would hope the Devils pass on him for that reason alone.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:00 PM
  #70
Czech Trio
from jersey
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I'm sure it's been repeated, but right now, the Devils have Brodeur and Hedberg locked up until the end of the 2013-2014.

Barring some unforeseen immortality that Brodeur acquires, it's likely that he and Hedberg retire after their contracts are both up.

Right now, Devils have Wedgewood and Kinkaid who are our two main candidates to take the job. However, both Wedgewood and Kinkaid are inexperienced, that being said, it is likely we acquire a goalie to tandem with either Wedgewood or Kinkaid until one of them hits the ground running.

I could see us signing a Hiller-caliber goalie, to split the starts 50-30 with a young guy, for a couple years, before giving them the reigns.
Who are we giving the other 2 starts to?

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:26 PM
  #71
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
As would I. Honestly, it should have been done by now. The kids have to sink or swim eventually, and they're leaving it a bit late to find out which one it is.
This is where I blame Pete. While I can't blame Hedberg for that stretch when he wasn't even getting 2 goals of support per game, I think Pete dropped the ball by not at least trying to change momentum. These kids would have a chance with the Marty getting injured, but Pete never gave it to them. Pete is not a good coach when it comes to younger players which is BS. Even if Moose got injured I would have wanted to see one of the kids get a shot in a game that Moose would have otherwise started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
FWIW, I think it would be pretty horrible for Anthony Brodeur to be selected by the Devils. I would not want to be that kid trying to live up to what his father was. I actually would hope the Devils pass on him for that reason alone.
I think so too. No reason to really pick him up other than sentimentality.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:38 PM
  #72
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
FWIW, I think it would be pretty horrible for Anthony Brodeur to be selected by the Devils. I would not want to be that kid trying to live up to what his father was. I actually would hope the Devils pass on him for that reason alone.
I agree with you on this. And I don't think it will be an issue of sentimentality. By all accounts he isn't that good, and Lou says he always goes with the BPA.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:26 PM
  #73
blink
Registered User
 
blink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Wedgewood, a young backup ready to break out (like Allen from St. Louis) via trade, or some random undrafted european we've never even heard of at this point that gets plucked from the ethereal landscape by Conte like Gandalf summoning a giant eagle.
That will be the next Devils long term starter.
Antti Raanta says hi.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=17016

My guess is we get this guy or he joins Jarmo in Columbus...

blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:28 PM
  #74
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Antti Raanta says hi.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=17016

My guess is we get this guy or he joins Jarmo in Columbus...
I know absolutely nothing about this guy. But I can see his stats from this year. I'm on-board with bringing him in for the hell of it. Why not.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:30 PM
  #75
blink
Registered User
 
blink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
I know absolutely nothing about this guy. But I can see his stats from this year. I'm on-board with bringing him in for the hell of it. Why not.
He's signed to another year in the SM-Liiga but all those contracts have NHL out clauses from my understanding.

I'm guessing a few NHL teams have their eyes on him. Hopefully Conte and the boys have done their homework here because those statistics are like eye candy.

blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.