HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik vs. Nash

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2013, 09:01 PM
  #26
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Goal Scorer* is Gaborik
All around is Nash

*has to be set up with opportunities from line mates, experiences slumps, cannot dictate the game on his own.

To continue with my food analogies that so many people are objecting to, Gaborik is like bacon and Nash is pork chops. As good as bacon is, it's not enough to be center of an entire meal and you certainly can't expect to have it meal after meal after meal. Nash on the other hand gives less of a hit of taste up front, he can show up every night and be the center ingredient in the dish and can show up and be more versatile and do different things on different nights and accommodate the other ingredients on the plate to form the most balanced dish.
Tell me you study culinary arts.

Awesome posts haha.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:09 PM
  #27
5 4 Fighting
Big member
 
5 4 Fighting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bk all day
Country: United States
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 400
Gaborik is deadlier, has more speed, and a better shot. Nash has the size, and dekes. Gaborik has the numbers.

I think people put too much stock in 40 games right after a lockout. Will Nash ever score 40 in a Rangers jersey? How about 86 points? I don't see Nash ever getting 40 assists in his career as a Ranger. Last year Gaborik had 76 points and 42 goals. 3 points shy of Rick's career high in points. Lets see what kind of numbers Nash puts up here. For now, it's Gaborik by a slight margin for me.

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:16 PM
  #28
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,639
vCash: 500
Always been a big fan of both players. Wish it could have worked ALOT better having both here, but it is what it is.

Nash for me. I think he can take over and change a game just by himself, or use his teammates with similar results, and he's better on the defensive end than I had thought. Throw in he represents what is going on with the team and has more in common fitting into the core of this team and its hard working effort.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:18 PM
  #29
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
Gaborik is deadlier, has more speed, and a better shot. Nash has the size, and dekes. Gaborik has the numbers.

I think people put too much stock in 40 games right after a lockout. Will Nash ever score 40 in a Rangers jersey? How about 86 points? I don't see Nash ever getting 40 assists in his career as a Ranger. Last year Gaborik had 76 points and 42 goals. 3 points shy of Rick's career high in points. Lets see what kind of numbers Nash puts up here. For now, it's Gaborik by a slight margin for me.
Gaborik is a very limited player that put up high goal numbers primarily using deadly speed and a upper-echelon shot.

He also has a history of leg/groin problems, is on the wrong side of 30, and had off-season shoulder surgery that certainly seems to have limited said shot. He is on the downside. This debate would be a lot closer is it was these 2 in their primes. But thats not how you framed it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:20 PM
  #30
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
<<<<< this guy

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:25 PM
  #31
gocbj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
You guys will love Nash even more as time goes on. He will get you 250 points in the next 3 years. He picks his spots (of effort) because he has to. He could be your best defensive forward, your best penalty killer and play point on the PP...but he spends his energy being the best 5 v 5 player on the ice.

He has never had more than one other guy on the CBJ that other teams had to pay attention to. Teams put their top D line on Nash. Not on Nash's line...on NASH.

Hitchcock had Nash doing more and he just got tired.

He is that good.

If you have not looked at his goal against the Coyotes, google it.

I watched Gaborik tonight for the first time live. He has a lightning quick release. He seems sneaky quick. And he can skate very fast.

Unfortunately for him here in Columbus, teams will shut him down because there is no reason to defend anyone else but him.

I have not seen Gaborik on the PK or PP much, so I can't judge that. I do think Nash is a top 7 - 10 player in the world, and he has about 5 good years left to prove that. Lucky for you guys, he will be there.

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:27 PM
  #32
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Are we? A lot of people often try and paint the argument in a way that insinuates Nash has been better than Gabby from the beginning of their careers, which I disagree with.

This season it's a no brainer. But if you look back on last season Gabby was the better player even that recently.
I agree with you on that.

But now that Nash is on a better team, and some better linemates, I think he pulls away from Gabby over the next season aside from this one.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:29 PM
  #33
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
One thing I hated about Gaborik was that he couldn't deke around anyone. He always relied on his speed and forget it if he didn't have a lane to skate through. Nash can beat the defender by speed, stick handling or by just his power. Nash doesn't have a snapper like Gaborik, but Nash has the upperhand in everything else.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:29 PM
  #34
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocbj View Post
You guys will love Nash even more as time goes on. He will get you 250 points in the next 3 years. He picks his spots (of effort) because he has to. He could be your best defensive forward, your best penalty killer and play point on the PP...but he spends his energy being the best 5 v 5 player on the ice.

He has never had more than one other guy on the CBJ that other teams had to pay attention to. Teams put their top D line on Nash. Not on Nash's line...on NASH.

Hitchcock had Nash doing more and he just got tired.

He is that good.

If you have not looked at his goal against the Coyotes, google it.

I watched Gaborik tonight for the first time live. He has a lightning quick release. He seems sneaky quick. And he can skate very fast.

Unfortunately for him here in Columbus, teams will shut him down because there is no reason to defend anyone else but him.

I have not seen Gaborik on the PK or PP much, so I can't judge that. I do think Nash is a top 7 - 10 player in the world, and he has about 5 good years left to prove that. Lucky for you guys, he will be there.
Well, you really don't want him on the PK. As for the PP, he is not very good on the right wall, which is where he should be. Doesn't always make the best plays, and can't seem to find the open man. If the CBJ are able to move the puck and open him up for a shot, that's how he'll produce on the PP. Otherwise, he doesn't help much in that regard.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:30 PM
  #35
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
One thing I hated about Gaborik was that he couldn't deke around anyone. He always relied on his speed and forget it if he didn't have a lane to skate through. Nash can beat the defender by speed, stick handling or by just his power. Nash doesn't have a snapper like Gaborik, but Nash has the upperhand in everything else.
I didn't mind that Gabby couldn't deke around a defender, I minded that he couldn't deke around a traffic cone.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:30 PM
  #36
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
One thing I hated about Gaborik was that he couldn't deke around anyone. He always relied on his speed and forget it if he didn't have a lane to skate through. Nash can beat the defender by speed, stick handling or by just his power. Nash doesn't have a snapper like Gaborik, but Nash has the upperhand in everything else.
Gabby probably has some of the worst set of hands of a top-line player. Above average, but not something you expect from an 80 point guy.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:31 PM
  #37
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Agreed, he pretty much tries the same exact move every time and I think it works about 1% of the time.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
  #38
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,208
vCash: 500
both on top of their games its very tough.. but nash is way more dynamic.. carrys the puck, can make moves around players.. doesn't get pushed off the puck/way more physical, makes players around him better, and more engaged in the game..

once you get physical with gabs its over.. get physical with nash he brings it..

to me its a lot more then points.. points mean nothing to me.. its the way they play the game, and nash's game is amazing..

size, speed, skill = rare breed, far and few in between..

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
  #39
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain
 
Ryan McDonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
its a shame this season has soured so many people on gabby. i wish he could have returned to form and he probably wouldn't have been traded. i remember the guy was literally the only bright spot of the 2009-2010 season.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:07 PM
  #40
5 4 Fighting
Big member
 
5 4 Fighting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bk all day
Country: United States
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Gaborik is a very limited player that put up high goal numbers primarily using deadly speed and a upper-echelon shot.

He also has a history of leg/groin problems, is on the wrong side of 30, and had off-season shoulder surgery that certainly seems to have limited said shot. He is on the downside. This debate would be a lot closer is it was these 2 in their primes. But thats not how you framed it.
Wrong side of 30? Someone like Iginla or Sullivan is on the wrong side of 30. Having just turned 32 years old is not being on the wrong side of 30. That's called early 30s. Some players put up their best seasons in their early to mid 30s. The problem with Marian is groin/shoulder problems which made him lose some of his speed and shot. He is still deadly with the puck.

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
  #41
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
Wrong side of 30? Someone like Iginla or Sullivan is on the wrong side of 30. Having just turned 32 years old is not being on the wrong side of 30. That's called early 30s. Some players put up their best seasons in their early to mid 30s. The problem with Marian is groin/shoulder problems which made him lose some of his speed and shot. He is still deadly with the puck.
So you think Marian Gaborik has a top notch season left in him? Hey, he could.

The smart money is against it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:13 PM
  #42
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So you think Marian Gaborik has a top notch season left in him? Hey, he could.

The smart money is against it.
To be fair that's what I thought after 10-11.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:15 PM
  #43
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,120
vCash: 373
Nash, he's a more complete player. Gaborik is very opportunistic, but Nash creates opportunities.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:18 PM
  #44
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
I think the main difference is, Nash can take over a game MUCH more frequently then Gaborik.

That alone makes Nash a better player not even including anything else like defense and physical play.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:19 PM
  #45
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Tell me you study culinary arts.

Awesome posts haha.
No, I just moved out at a early age and cook for myself

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:41 PM
  #46
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Anyone left who still believes that Gaborik is a better hockey player than Nash?
who said that?

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:44 PM
  #47
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
who said that?
This was a common belief around the time when we were rumored to be going for Nash. So, from January to July.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:50 PM
  #48
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Anyone left who still believes that Gaborik is a better hockey player than Nash?
Not me. And that's the sad part. Gabby could have made himself a much more complete player if he'd had the will. It's always a mystery as to why players like Gabby choose not to be a little more tenacious as forcheckers.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:27 PM
  #49
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
Wrong side of 30? Someone like Iginla or Sullivan is on the wrong side of 30. Having just turned 32 years old is not being on the wrong side of 30. That's called early 30s. Some players put up their best seasons in their early to mid 30s. The problem with Marian is groin/shoulder problems which made him lose some of his speed and shot. He is still deadly with the puck.
Gaborik's problem isn't his age, it's his shoulder. Rotator cuff surgery is hit or miss. It might fix the tear, but there is always a large risk you will never have good shoulder mobility again. His shot has been lacking, which I assume is a direct result of the surgery. All of his goals have come from breakaways or passes in which he wristed the puck into a wide open net. He no longer possesses a deadly shot. It sucks, but that's sports for you. He can be an effective player if he works hard, but I doubt he'll ever hit 40 goals again. i think 20-25 is what you can expect from him in an 82 game season from here on out. In all honesty, people expect athletes to come back from these injuries far too soon. You see it frequently with ACL tears especially. Those things take 2 years to completely get back to form after surgery. Rotator cuff injuries would be a 9 month to a year recovery process for anyone but a professional athlete. Generally if a baseball player gets the injury, not only are they gone for that season, but the next season as well.

NYRCSKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:29 PM
  #50
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
This was a common belief around the time when we were rumored to be going for Nash. So, from January to July.
The answer would depend on what "better" means.
Goal scoring? Gaborik wins by a landslide. He was the 3rd best goal scorer in the league last season, was he "better" than Nash then?

Nash brings more to the table than just goal scoring, he is a more complete player.

Gaborik is a sniper, Nash is a power forward. 2 different skillsets, I'd definitely take both on the team.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.