HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#39 |Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | Apr 6 | 7 PM | W 4-2

Old
04-07-2013, 01:02 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

As I said, always held Jesse in high regard and I'm glad that he was finally able to return to the big league.
Just my impression of JJ since we last saw him here

It seems like his skating is slightly better, he is tougher and he has a hell of alot more confidence. I think Big Boys like him normally don't find their groove till there mid 20s so that could explain alot.

Personally I hope they Islanders keep him in the lineup for the rest of the season, he is an improvement on Reasoner.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Renbarg

Watched the Pouliot "slash" again. He reached in one handed. He did not make a slashing movement. He simply laid his stick on top of Tavares' stick. JT's stick broke because this messed with his follow through. This should not be a penatly EVER. If this call was made against the Islanders it would have led to the board equivalent of a riot.

He wasn't going for the puck, so its different from the AMac example I showed, but this is a kosher play on every single level in hockey, and I've never seen that play called a penalty in the NHL either.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:07 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
He passed the puck to Ders, came off the ice someone else came on to get the +1. Weird.
The same thing happened to Lee, he got an assist on a goal but was -2

Old
04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Watched the Pouliot "slash" again. He reached in one handed. He did not make a slashing movement. He simply laid his stick on top of Tavares' stick. JT's stick broke because this messed with his follow through. This should not be a penatly EVER. If this call was made against the Islanders it would have led to the board equivalent of a riot.
Unless you are a player who relies on a slaphot(Stamkos, Ovechkin, etc) as your primary source of shooting I don't understand why players don't use wood sticks(especially defensive defensemen)

Old
04-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Unless you are a player who relies on a slaphot(Stamkos, Ovechkin, etc) as your primary source of shooting I don't understand why players don't use wood sticks(especially defensive defensemen)
Snapshots and wrist shots are helped by composites more so than slapshots. The weight of the stick also probably makes them very desirable.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:44 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Snapshots and wrist shots are helped by composites more so than slapshots. The weight of the stick also probably makes them very desirable.
If nothing else why not use wood stick on the PK. Nothing is more annoying then seeing a stick break when you on a PK

Look at hockey sticks like Golfs Clubs, have you PP stick, your PK stick, your need to score a goal stick, tied game stick and need to defend a lead stick

basically offensive stick should be composite, defensive sticks should be wood.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:49 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaks4Ever View Post
Hey I am just wondering, if somebody can explain how Streit can have a -2 rating, when he got an assist at even strength (=+1) and the Isles totally received 2 goals? So at worst he can be -1, with that even strength assist, can't he ?

The Okposo to Bailey one, was a sweety
+/- is the biggest waste of a stat ever. What happened with Streit was that he was on for both goals against giving him a -2. On the goal he got an assist, he passed the puck to Anders Lee and got off for a shift change. So as Lee passed the puck to Martin and Martin scored, Streit wasn't on the ice when the goal was scored, so he doesn't get a +.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:10 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
+/- is the biggest waste of a stat ever. What happened with Streit was that he was on for both goals against giving him a -2. On the goal he got an assist, he passed the puck to Anders Lee and got off for a shift change. So as Lee passed the puck to Martin and Martin scored, Streit wasn't on the ice when the goal was scored, so he doesn't get a +.
A lot of people say this about +/-, but I think it's a pretty telling stat. For reasons like this Streit incident and EN goals against, I don't think it's a stat that you nitpick with, but in general it is a good measure of the most important thing in hockey (scoring more goals than the other team).

We've been knocking Boyes for his lack of defensive effort all year. -10. We've been praising Bailey for his defensive ability. +6. It's not a perfect stat, but it's far from a waste.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
If nothing else why not use wood stick on the PK. Nothing is more annoying then seeing a stick break when you on a PK

Look at hockey sticks like Golfs Clubs, have you PP stick, your PK stick, your need to score a goal stick, tied game stick and need to defend a lead stick

I can understand the wood stick on the PK, makes it a little more reliable.

Zero reason for the bolded sticks.

Today's game is so well refined that even using wood sticks for the PK might not be worth it. The switching from composite to wood is very strange. It would probably throw off a players game more than anything.

However, they should have a composite version of the stick they already use thats dedication is durability, not performance. Ex. Mission Titanium Fuel. These were some of the most durable composite sticks that they even doubled the manufacturer's warranty.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:21 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
A lot of people say this about +/-, but I think it's a pretty telling stat. For reasons like this Streit incident and EN goals against, I don't think it's a stat that you nitpick with, but in general it is a good measure of the most important thing in hockey (scoring more goals than the other team).

We've been knocking Boyes for his lack of defensive effort all year. -10. We've been praising Bailey for his defensive ability. +6. It's not a perfect stat, but it's far from a waste.
Example of Travis Hamonic

Hamonic's +/- would be a lot better if some of those pucks didn't bounce off of him and Amac, not sure how many times it happened, but it happened a lot. Earlier in the year, the Isles made an awful change and Hamonic came on the ice late joining the play, and because of it he got a -1. Also, Boyes and Moulson's defensive play hurts Hamonic's +/- too. So many times Boyes and Moulson don't pick up the point and have trouble clearing the puck and terrible turnovers. Hamonic/Amac have been out on the same line with Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo recently and they're going against the other teams top line. Both players +/- increased greatly.

+/- can be a misleading stat for sure.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:56 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

You can find good examples of +/-, but Tavares being a -6 is a bad example. Nielsen, who is arguably the best defensive forward, is a -3.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:36 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I can understand the wood stick on the PK, makes it a little more reliable.

Zero reason for the bolded sticks.

Today's game is so well refined that even using wood sticks for the PK might not be worth it. The switching from composite to wood is very strange. It would probably throw off a players game more than anything.

However, they should have a composite version of the stick they already use thats dedication is durability, not performance. Ex. Mission Titanium Fuel. These were some of the most durable composite sticks that they even doubled the manufacturer's warranty.
FWIW, I HATE composite sticks. Wood til I'm in a wheelchair for me.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:48 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
FWIW, I HATE composite sticks. Wood til I'm in a wheelchair for me.
Composite sticks are 10 times better, I just don't take slapshots so my stick won't break.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Renbarg

Quote:

But there are a lot of things you can do with the composite much easier that are helpful in the defensive zone as well. Its easier to pitch the puck; stick is lighter so you can cover the passing lanes faster; you can clear the puck quicker.

Composite sticks are just far superior to wooden sticks.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:24 PM
On Edge

Quote:
But there are a lot of things you can do with the composite much easier that are helpful in the defensive zone as well. Its easier to pitch the puck; stick is lighter so you can cover the passing lanes faster; you can clear the puck quicker.

Another "old timer" I guess. Still like wood sticks - the feel is better cradling to me. I get much more feel. I can't really describe other than absorbing the feel of the puck on my stick is better with a wood stick. Composites always feel tinny. Make sense to anyone other than me?

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:32 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
Another "old timer" I guess. Still like wood sticks - the feel is better cradling to me. I get much more feel. I can't really describe other than absorbing the feel of the puck on my stick is better with a wood stick. Composites always feel tinny. Make sense to anyone other than me?
Ditto that with both hockey sticks and drumsticks - composite and aluminum drumsticks don't feel right in a similar fashion.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
Ditto that with both hockey sticks and drumsticks - composite and aluminum drumsticks don't feel right in a similar fashion.
It's no secret that wood has a better feel than composite. It's sacrificed for faster and more accurate shooting and passing.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:10 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Once you get used to the "tinny" feel though, an extra layer of tape helps, the lightness of the stick is amazing. Then it's tough to go back to the wood. It does take getting used to though. I went back and forth until I finally committed to the "tin"!!

Would have liked to see Bossy's hands and release with those sticks. Wow.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:30 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Once you get used to the "tinny" feel though, an extra layer of tape helps, the lightness of the stick is amazing. Then it's tough to go back to the wood. It does take getting used to though. I went back and forth until I finally committed to the "tin"!!

Would have liked to see Bossy's hands and release with those sticks. Wow.
Tin? Are you referring to those aluminum sticks from the 90s? I hated those. I still prefer wood but switched to an easton composite about a decade back.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:30 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
I find the 'feel' on a composite stick to be superior. When I was younger I played with wood sticks, but haven't for a long time now. After having handled some pro-stock sticks, I can see why no pros use wood anymore, the weight difference makes it so much more comfortable and maneuverable.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
This.

I made the switch about 5 years ago and slapped myself for not doing it sooner. My slapper pretty much stayed the same but my wrist shot gained about 10 MPH (estimating of course). It's really like night and day. Stickhandling is also much easier and quicker with the lighter sticks.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Tin? Are you referring to those aluminum sticks from the 90s? I hated those. I still prefer wood but switched to an easton composite about a decade back.
the aluminum, at the time, was such a difference from wood that I found it tough to get used to. But the composites were even harder to play with since they were far lighter than even the aluminum. The composites have an almost glass-like feel, that's the "tinny" as OnEdge described and they are so light that it takes a while to get used to taking a hard pass since the puck will knock the stick back, easily. That "feel" is a tough transition.

The quick release and hard wrist shots are the game changer. Amazing how much power you can get and how quickly you can get it off. In my opinion, this is why we don't see any big slapshot-down-the-wing-type goals anymore. Players get the same speed (close to it) by a flick of the wrist and get it off much faster (except Okposo who has the slowest release in hockey - right there with Colton Orr)

Once you get used to the sticks though, the lightness allows for great/quick stickhandling and laser-shot (like Jeff Tambellini)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Sideshow Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
True that with the drumsticks. but then there are other issues though - wood type -(hickory for me), wood vs nylon tip (nylon for me) as well as the wide variety of diameters and weights. Its the feel I grew up with and and comfortable with. But you can probably get used to anything, and can understand the benefits of composite sticks. hey, when was the last time anyone saw a genuine wooden "wood" golf club?

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote