HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Honest feeling about playoffs?

Old
04-07-2013, 08:40 PM
yianik

vCash: 500
Though we can probably identify weaknesses now, it truly is the play-offs that will show us what our greatest needs are, unless we win the Cup of course ( not realistic this year I don't think ). I think we have a shot to get into the Eastern conference finals, really believe we can make it to the 2nd round, would be disappointed but not totalled if we go out in the first round. I see this years play-offs as MBs huge chance to figure out what we have, should keep, need to move, and need to get.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:40 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
honestly?

bounced in the first round

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:50 PM
ChuckieG

To be completely honest, I love our team this year, and they've been playing with more heart than any team we've had in the past decade.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if get bounced first round. The bottom 4 playoff teams are all teams that should be higher in the standing (i.e NY rangers) or who can surprise (i.e Islanders/Leafs). This is why I think the first round is going to be the hardest. We'll be going in as favourites and usually don't fair well in those scenarios.

I think if we get past the first round anything can happen. We have the goalie, we have the defence, we have the scoring. It all just needs to work simultaneously- for that to happen, the team needs to work harder than ever but sometimes that isn't enough. You need a good team to win a Cup but more importantly, you sometimes need luck to push you over the top.

ChuckieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:05 PM
BubbleGumPlant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I don't post here much often but wow, been a while since I've seen a username/avatar from my early days.

My honest feeling is the Habs could go all the way. "Could." There have been few times all year where we haven't won at least 4 out of 7 games. Of course, playoffs are a different story. The beasts become rabid and their teeth become sharper. But maybe ours will, too.

That being said, we could get a couple rounds in even if our team blows. Why? Carey Price.
Winning the Cup requires the Stars to align. Price needs to be solid. Not every single game but he needs to steal a game here and there. Subban has to produce on the PP. We have excellent F depth. Good Playoff teams have a strong 3rd and 4th line and we have that. Where we don't have depth is at th D position. With Emelin and Diaz's presence questionable, we are either playaing a rookie, Weber or Kaberle at the #6 position. If neither Emelin or Diaz can return I don't like our chances. If they're both ready come playoff time, with a little luck, we have a great shot! MT had instilled the right mentality (team-play, no excuses). In Carey we trust! WJ Gold Medal! Calder Cup! The guy is 25 and is signed long term!

BubbleGumPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:07 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
In all honesty, I'm happy we are making the playoff but i'm not expecting a stanley cup run at all. Not that I'm pessimist but the future is really bright.
Same here. Although I can't do anything be recognize that we have a great year and we are playing GREAT, I still think we do not have a great line-up.

To me, Drewiske, Armstrong, White, Desharnais are not the type of guys you win with. Even Bouillon, to some extend. I wouldn't care if he was played as a 6th D, but whenever this guy is on your 2nd PP wave, I think it shows you have a pretty big weakness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Depends if Markov stays healthy, that's how I feel. With him we are a winning team, without him we are a 50-50.
Markov has never been a big presence come PO time... I expect him to be a #3-4 come playoffs time, not much more.

I guess I would feel more confident if we had another true #3-4.

In my mind:
#1: Subban
#2: Markov
#3 ???
#4 Gorges
#5 Emelin/Bouillon
#6 Bouillon/Emelin
#7 Drewiske

Let's hope Diaz can come back in great form and play like a #3, in the playoffs as much as regular season, but I'm not counting on that...

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:09 PM
DJ Breadman

If MB had of picked up a quality dman at the deadline like I told him too (not drew dontski) but an actually top 4 guy I would feel confident baring injury we could make it to the cup final, now i'm not so sure we are missing a little something on d

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:23 PM
PricePkPatch

It is definitely a despair this year, anything can go. But one thing inspires me with more confidence than is rationally warranted: the character our team displayed so far this year.

Either how they bounced after a defeat, how they came back from goal deficits late in the 3rd, or even their killer instinct to go after the extra lead goals.

This team is, and has been in the Zone for the whole season. They are in a good place, the best potential mindset for the playoffs.

They don't need to get into playoff mode; they've played it for months now.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:32 PM
madhi19

The habs longest loosing streak this year was 3 and it only happened once and was followed by I believe six wins and 18 games with at least a point. That tell me the team is great at quickly rebounding from loss and that make for a long playoff run. With any luck one or more of the big contender will fall in the first round it almost always happen. The Habs just have to make sure it not them. If Montreal can stay in second place and stay healthy their odds will be better than anybody realize.

Last edited by madhi19: 04-07-2013 at 10:50 PM.
madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm okay with anything except not showing up. I kind of feel that after last year we want to move in right direction and we have. If we win a few rounds, perfect but if we compete hard and make a little noise to carry over next season I'll be happy too.

I'm not sure what to expect at all in regards to the team. They still surprise me now.
This x 1 million

Anything can happen,, but won't be disappointed if we can't get out of the first round this year.

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
shutehinside

Impossible to say. Hot goalie, puck luck, injuries etc. really, any team can win.

That being said, all things being equal, I'd say we have a decent shot at making it to the ECFs. After that, all bets are off.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

I'm going to be honest: I've been very surprised with this team until now so I hope this is our year! Playoffs are totally different.

The Habs finished 1st in 2008 and we thought we were going to win the Cup that year. Oops, we were wrong.

The Habs finished 8th in 2010 and we though we were going to lose in 4 or 5 in the first round against the Caps. Oops, we were wrong again.

Lets see what's going to happen. I won't make any prediction. Anything could happen.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:46 PM
WeezyHabFan

Stanley Cup champs 4-0 in every series.

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After the playoffs, people might go back to hating Tomas Plekanec because he'll be given the shutdown role and won't have as many points.

Who knows?

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Shadyone33

I just hope we show well. I want Price to play real strong. I hope that we lay a beating on whoever we play in the first round and keep winning, but I don't want to struggle out of the first round and catch a beating from another team. If we go down I hope it's a close series.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:13 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
After the playoffs, people might go back to hating Tomas Plekanec because he'll be given the shutdown role and won't have as many points.

Who knows?
Urgh. If this happens....

I feel Plekanec Will do better offensively though. He has Bourque, Ryder, Gionta as potential linemates. I Imagine Gionta will be on his line come playoff time since he's the best of the three at defence, and therefore Ryder would go to the Eller line in an offensive role. I can't see someone like Moen on his wing, simply because MT isn't JM. Bourque will slot in LW. If this is true we'll see:

Pac-DD-Gally
Bourque-Plek-Gio
Galch-Eller-Ryder
Prust-Halpern-Moen

Not bad...

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I don't want to face NYR Boston and Toronto in the first round. Wish we face Ottawa NYI or Devils.
Maybe its the other Eastern teams that fear meeting Montreal in the PO's.

Wrap your mind around that one.

Born in 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
To me, Drewiske, Armstrong, White, Desharnais are not the type of guys you win with. Even Bouillon, to some extend. I wouldn't care if he was played as a 6th D, but whenever this guy is on your 2nd PP wave, I think it shows you have a pretty big weakness.
Armstrong and White will most likely be in the pressbox if this team is healthy up front. And White has played really well on the wing the last 2 games.

As long as we get Diaz back for that 2nd PP unit, Bouillon's presence there will not be crippling for the unit. Heck, him and Gorges as our 2nd PP unit has not sunk the PP. Markov-Subban is an excellent PP duo.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

I think we can go very far. Stanley Cup far. I feel it. It's this year or never.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:22 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Armstrong and White will most likely be in the pressbox if this team is healthy up front. And White has played really well on the wing the last 2 games.

As long as we get Diaz back for that 2nd PP unit, Bouillon's presence there will not be crippling for the unit. Heck, him and Gorges as our 2nd PP unit has not sunk the PP. Markov-Subban is an excellent PP duo.
I know that it might be too late to do experiments, but I would have loved to see Galchenyuk at the point on the PP. Unless I'm mistaken, he played a bit there in his time in Sarnia. I think he has the vision to QB a powerplay.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:23 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Oh 18 years ago? My bad.

How about NYR haven't won in MTL since before the comeback from 5-0!
You said black and white TVs. Although my grandmother might of still had a black and white tv hooked up in her basement. Sure I'll make that count

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Cyclones Rock

3rd in the league in goals differential, balanced scoring, around 5th in goals against, 3 decent offensive lines, an emerging marquee player in Subban......there's a lot to like about this team.

The playoffs are-as other have pointed out-a crapshoot. Still, there's no reason to discount this team's chances. They've played well all year and haven't been prone to anything resembling an extended losing streak.

I don't like the fact that they don't have a dominant scoring forward, but neither the Bruins nor the Kings did and they still won The Cup. This team should be in the mix. Why not?

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:35 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I think we can go very far. Stanley Cup far. I feel it. It's this year or never.
Not with this D. Our defensive depth is pretty weak...and that was with Emelin in the lineup. Carey Price will have to channel his inner Patrick Roy for the Habs to have a remote shot at contending for a cup.

I see a 1st or 2nd round exit. I think a lot of questions will be answered though.

"Is size/toughness an issue?"
"Is Price a playoff performer?"
"Does the D need to be upgraded?"

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:37 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
I'm not feeling confident but I'm not feeling worried too...habs had a short-season full of surprises and I'm sure the playoffs will be full of surprises too for every team. I'll be happy if the habs make it past round 1 but I wouldn't be disappointed with a second round exit either.

Either way, this post-season will be a learning experience for the younger and inexperienced players who have never played in the playoffs (Galch, Gally, Pacioretty, Diaz, Emelin) or the ones that have only very few playoff games under their belts (Eller, Bouque, White, Desharnais all with 5-7 games). The habs' window of contention is only opening up, 2-3 years is when I'll expect our team to make some serious runs for the cup.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

While I'm really happy with the team this year, I'm still not sold on the team going far in the playoffs.

At the season I felt that playoffs would be a nice bonus to an improved team. At this point everything going forward for the rest of the season is a bonus. If it means an early playoff exit, I won't be surprised nor too bummed out.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The D for me would not have cut it with Emelin, imagine without. And I will have to stick with my opinion that we need a better mix up front. Prust was one piece of the puzzle. We miss some pieces. And....Price isn't proven in the playoffs. Nobody can use what he did so far and say that he's PROVEN. He had some very good games. And some not too good games. I still have my concerns with him. But just before I get killed around here....HE'S NOT our biggest problem, that's for sure.

So not feeling that confident but yet again...what are the playoffs? It's all about the matchups. Tell me who we play, I'll tell you how confident I am.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 04-07-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote