HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr's Shoulder

Old
08-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Crease

vCash: 500
Jagr's Shoulder

Not sure if anyone has been keeping up to date with Jagr's progress from shoulder injury late last season, but I came across this article on the Rodent this morning. It's an interview Jagr had with Czech sports media recently...

Quote:
"Is it still sore?"

It hurts. But the problem is... when I bend so as to avoid the pain it causes me to shoot differently. But I was prepared for this. Even in America, I was warned that it could take a full year to return to 100%.

"Are you hitting the net?"

Absolutely not. And my shots are very weak. (He laughs) Maybe the reason is that Kladno has excellent goalies now.
Quote:
"How do you feel other than your shoulder? How much heavier are you compared to your playing weight?"

About twenty pounds. But if I reduce in time, it could be to my advantage. Now it's like practicing with an extra ten kilos [strapped on]. I'm like the hockey version of Jarmila Kratochvílová. But overall, I remain weak. I doubt that I could bench press 130 pounds now. I used to be able to lift 310.
Although this is what Straka said...

Quote:
"JJ phoned me last week and said 'Dude, I am 254 pounds, no joke.' But he says this every year and then he loses a few pounds and is the best payer again."
I'd hate to think that Jagr could be so dramatically affected by this shoulder injury. He was the engine that made this diesel run last year. Also, if Jaromir was really struggling with his shoulder, I doubt he'd be so open and plain about it.

Your thoughts?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 04:24 PM
FLYLine24*

My thoughts....that sounded horrible...

He also saids his arm will never be the same, and that full year statement isnt incouraging.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 04:27 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
I'm worried. Don't really see how you can put a positive spin on what he's saying. Just gotta wait till we see him in action to make our own judgements on the shoulder I guess.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 04:50 PM
shoothepuck

If you go with the worst, it sounds bad, but he jokes around a lot, and he has time to get back into playing shape.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Classic Jags

downplaying to psyche out the enemy.

He'll be fine

Jagr could hit the net blindfolded

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Levitate

I tend to think he exagerrates that kinda stuff some. maybe not even intentionally. Just kind of like being a pessamist and saying stuff where another player would say "well it's kind of stiff, but we'll see how it feels after some practice"

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
That isn't the most encouraging interview. He's used to playing witih pain, so hopefully with more practice and increased muscle strength, his accuracy will return. He usually tells it like it is, even in a humorous/exaggerated manner.

Strange his driver's license was suspended for parking in a handicapped space.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 07:07 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
That isn't the most encouraging interview. He's used to playing witih pain, so hopefully with more practice and increased muscle strength, his accuracy will return. He usually tells it like it is, even in a humorous/exaggerated manner.

Strange his driver's license was suspended for parking in a handicapped space.
I hope players dont try to run him like Ruutu did in the olympics. We play the Pens 8 times a year that punk ruutu is on that team. i hope orr, Hollweg or Hall makes him his *****. this is why i hope he is joking about the injury. Why cant teams just say undisclosed injury so the other players dont know what the injury is?? I know in the playoffs they do sometimes, but they should do this alot more and in the regular season.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Greg in MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Why cant teams just say undisclosed injury so the other players dont know what the injury is?? I know in the playoffs they do sometimes, but they should do this alot more and in the regular season.
In the playoffs, that's ALL they do. It's either an upper or lower body injury, or in a rare occaision, a concussion. That's all they ever release.

Jagr's shoulder injury was so obvious it doesn't matter what they say about it.

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 06:40 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I dont know, i'm skeptical on this interview because he does joke around so much. Judging what Straka said, i'm going to say he will be fine. These kind of things are what separate (no pun) the all stars from the rest of the bunch. He'll be fine, he will slim down and be close to 100%. Dont forget the Rangers have some of the best doctors, plus Jagr has alot of money for top notch physical rehab. So i'm going to hold out hope, remember how most people where worried about him taking that run from Ruutu, well I held out hope then and it worked out so i'm holding out hope again. He'll be fine.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Levitate

well, remember last off season and the pinky? and how it was like "he can't even shoot the puck right now!" then he went out and led the league in scoring for most of the year

I have no doubt he's not 100% right now, but I also have no doubt he'll be ready to play when the season starts

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 04:13 AM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Classic Jags

downplaying to psyche out the enemy.

He'll be fine

Sounds like his enemy at this point are the Krispy Kremes.

And if it were up to you, he could hit the net posthumously.

But we'll all see how he looks pre-season.

He will get run, tho. A lot. That's why they tend to downplay hockey injuries, as the strategy immediately becomes check the **** out of them at the spot of the injury. Tough game that way.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 07:42 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
How does that have anything to do with subject? Anyone can do it. Kids practice shooting while looking elsewhere... That's the norm.
Sore shoulder will effect the stickhandling, your fake moves where you've got to deke with full arm extension. Once you hesitate to extend you hesitate to go one-on-one. You pass under pressure. That is how the dominant player disappears... I think we are screwed. It is very serious. We can only hope.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
How does that have anything to do with subject? Anyone can do it. Kids practice shooting while looking elsewhere... That's the norm.
Sore shoulder will effect the stickhandling, your fake moves where you've got to deke with full arm extension. Once you hesitate to extend you hesitate to go one-on-one. You pass under pressure. That is how the dominant player disappears... I think we are screwed. It is very serious. We can only hope.
I think its a little too soon to say we are screwed. I mean we could very well could be, but untill he gets onto the ice and we can see him play, we are just kind of speculating. Granted it doenst sound good but it could be something that he can overcome and score 60 goals. Then again he could only score 6, its really too early to tell. I understand everyones worry though. Only time will tell, lets keep hope alive!!!

Old
08-24-2006, 12:31 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I think its a little too soon to say we are screwed. I mean we could very well could be, but untill he gets onto the ice and we can see him play, we are just kind of speculating. Granted it doenst sound good but it could be something that he can overcome and score 60 goals. Then again he could only score 6, its really too early to tell. I understand everyones worry though. Only time will tell, lets keep hope alive!!!
Any sentence starting with "I think..." implies a speculation. My speculation is just by far more pessimistic than the other's That's what years of being Ranger fan could do to overall normal individual .

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I got ya, I appologizes if i came off like a jerk. I agree years with this organization will make the most understanding fan, skeptical. Lets just agree to disagree, and hope for a quick return to health

Old
08-24-2006, 12:46 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I think you need to do a little research on Jagr and his history with offseason and recovery from injuries.

Don't be so negetive. He'll be fine.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 01:24 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
I hope players dont try to run him like Ruutu did in the olympics. We play the Pens 8 times a year that punk ruutu is on that team. i hope orr, Hollweg or Hall makes him his *****. this is why i hope he is joking about the injury. Why cant teams just say undisclosed injury so the other players dont know what the injury is?? I know in the playoffs they do sometimes, but they should do this alot more and in the regular season.
Hopefully Orr won't even be here.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote