HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Roy

Old
04-07-2013, 07:14 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
This type of thinking is part of the problem I have with Sabres fans.... Always living in the past with the guys from 05-07.

Who cares what anyone did in 2006? It's meaningless today. Our last two appearances where he was supposed to be the guy he no-showed.
This type of thinking?

I responded to a post saying Roy is a no show in the playoffs. Thats not factually correct and I gave an example and a context for when he did have success. It was in a supporting role that he had great success in 2006. Thats the very role he will be in as a Nuck. Its not clinging to the past. Its pointing to a relevant example of him having success in that type of role.

What does Roy not getting it done as our top center have to do with his current role in Vancouver? Or have to do with what I posted? The answer is absolutely nothing. Roy is likely to be the 3rd line center for the Nucks and he should have success in that role.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
This type of thinking is part of the problem I have with Sabres fans.... Always living in the past with the guys from 05-07.

Who cares what anyone did in 2006? It's meaningless today. Our last two appearances where he was supposed to be the guy he no-showed.
You do know he was out for 6 of the 7 games vs Philly, right? I know you intentionally phrased it the way you did for maximum effect, but the guy didn't play in that series for all intents and purposes.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Seems like he's found quick chemistry with Higgens and Hansen, has a good situation playing behind the Sedin line, and he's playing for a new deal. It's all about mis-matches and Roy, looking like the knee and shoulder are healthy, will give Vancouver just that.

04-07-2013, 07:34 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Seems like he's found quick chemistry with Higgens and Hansen, has a good situation playing behind the Sedin line, and he's playing for a new deal. It's all about mis-matches and Roy, looking like the knee and shoulder are healthy, will give Vancouver just that.
Yep. He is a good option for a secondary scoring line behind an established one.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Yep. He is a good option for a secondary scoring line behind an established one.
It gets even better when Kesler gets back.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:38 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It gets even better when Kesler gets back.
Yes it does.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:19 PM
VaporTrail
Used Tank Salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He isn't soft. At all.

Talk about some poor memory...
He IS very soft...He cannot win a battle for the puck in the playoffs if it meant his life....and he gets knocked off the puck easily......

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Hockeymad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Yes it does.
Agreed. He was uber-effective with Drury and Brier playing ahead of him.

Hockeymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:12 AM
CallMeJerry

Sounds like everyone thinks he'll thrive in a secondary role.

PS What's an FES?

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:33 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
Sounds like everyone thinks he'll thrive in a secondary role.

PS What's an FES?
Foligno/Ennis/Stafford line. I laughed

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:34 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
He IS very soft...He cannot win a battle for the puck in the playoffs if it meant his life....and he gets knocked off the puck easily......
You're really specifying his lost battles to those that occur in the playoffs?

I don't agree. At all. On any account. But we'll leave it at that, since we are on different ends of this topic

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:25 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
You're really specifying his lost battles to those that occur in the playoffs?

I don't agree. At all. On any account. But we'll leave it at that, since we are on different ends of this topic
Soft is a matter of perspective, he is good on the puck but he won't try and win battles, his not the Foligno type player at all, he'll skate around and score goals and get assists with the puck, great offensive instincts but he won't battle. Not saying he can't, he chooses not to normally.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:57 AM
Raistlin1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Soft is a matter of perspective, he is good on the puck but he won't try and win battles, his not the Foligno type player at all, he'll skate around and score goals and get assists with the puck, great offensive instincts but he won't battle. Not saying he can't, he chooses not to normally.
but dude.... he's a little bit taller than your average garden gnome. Isn't Foligno 6'3? This year's version of the Canucks is not the offensive powerhouse of years past.... at least not without a healthy Kesler, we are in DIRE need of a puck distributor behind Henrik. If Roy and Kesler can be #2/#3 C for us, provide decent offense without being a schlob on D, we will gladly thank the Seven.

Raistlin1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:37 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1022 View Post
but dude.... he's a little bit taller than your average garden gnome. Isn't Foligno 6'3? This year's version of the Canucks is not the offensive powerhouse of years past.... at least not without a healthy Kesler, we are in DIRE need of a puck distributor behind Henrik. If Roy and Kesler can be #2/#3 C for us, provide decent offense without being a schlob on D, we will gladly thank the Seven.
As mentioned by everyone, his perfect for your system due to the role expected of him.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:54 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
He usually led or was near the top of the team in takeaways. He was a pretty good pick pocket. So yes he did win puck battles just not in the way you want them to be won (physically overpowering someone).

I know some can't let go of their hate for him. But he is not being asked by the Nucks to be their top guy like he was here. He will be a secondary player getting mismatches that he should be able to take advantage of.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Moore Money

I'm really impressed with Roy, he seems to fit like a glove. The Canucks offensive creativity fell off a cliff after the sedin line but now has more balance. he is exactly what the 2nd line needed so far it appears. maybe that opinion will change with time but I havn't seen any of the negative things talked about hear yet.

I don't see any signs of him being soft or lazy. he isn't afraid to go into corners or play along the boards like some small guys. does this all change in the playoffs and he becomes a cream puff? I cant see that happening if he's healthy.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote