Post-Wrestlemania 29 thoughts

Old
04-07-2013, 10:41 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
I'm not a regular viewer (used to be) but a bunch of us get together and order the Rumble and Wrestlemania...

I thought it was terrible. Didn't have any of that "Wrestlemania aura" that WM's usually have. It felt like an above-average Raw, to be honest. That's what happens when your 3 biggest matches (HHH/Brock, Taker/Punk, Cena/Rock) are no brainers.

Cena/Taker was a great bout, that was about it. I was shocked at how awful the main event was. Four clotheslines, 15 minutes of rest holds, and 15 minutes of finishers/reversals/finishers? Solid booking.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:42 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Big show turned again lol
He never really "turned" back to face before this. As I said during Wrestlemania it was more of "we have common enemies" than "I'm a good guy". I liked how he left Orton to sink and knocked out Seamus and Orton. Could get a good storyline out of that.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Omnomnomnom

So where does the Shield story go now?

Omnomnomnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Pinkfloyd

I actually liked the matches but a Wrestlemania w/o a swerve? That's just poor writing and poor booking. Nobody is better for this event occurring in terms of taking a step in the right direction for their career. Easily the star of the night for me was Paul Heyman. Punk/Taker put on a good match but nothing that will be remembered in the annals of history.

So disappointing for a Wrestlemania. No heel turns. No cash-in. No career ending. No Team Hell No split. No gimmick matches or truly unique spots. Nothing memorable happened at this event. If it was any other PPV, I can let this go but a Wrestlemania is supposed to have something memorable.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:49 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
So where does the Shield story go now?
Nowhere like it usually goes. They go back to interfering matches, cutting their boring promos somewhere dark backstage, and then fighting another 3-man tag team in a PPV and winning.

Rinse and repeat.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:50 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I think people need to relax on saying it was terrible. I don't understand how you can say that when The Shield continues to dominate and Punk/Taker put on a ****ing awesome match. We have been spoiled by Taker's streak and recent matches. They are just amazing. They always surpass the hype which is almost impossible. But it does. Every single time.

Sure - we are all bored of Cena. I get it. Enough people have stopped watching the program already as it is. We had like a 14.0 combined market share of wrestling in it's glory days. Now we are amazed at like a 4. So... nothing will change there. Just stop watching it if that's the case. Or, be a kid again and try to enjoy it for what it is.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:51 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:53 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Nowhere like it usually goes. They go back to interfering matches, cutting their boring promos somewhere dark backstage, and then fighting another 3-man tag team in a PPV and winning.

Rinse and repeat.
If you don't find them interesting and entertaining, the show might not be for you. They have everything. They have a beast in Reigns who looks like a monster, dominates the ring like a monster, yet still can sell. They have an in-ring top guy in Rollins who can probably wrestle with anyone in the business. They have the ultimate psychological character in Ambrose who over-sells like HBK used to and can cut a sadistic promo like the beloved Joker character from Dark Knight.

I mean.. there is a little bit of everything there. I can't imagine how a single wrestling fan would not enjoy at least part of their team. Maybe this show just isn't for you.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:53 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

It was incredibly average. If it was a regular PPV, it would've been amazing but it was Wrestlemania. Nothing felt like a big match except Taker/Punk. The match order was poor as well as the crowd was dead for the entire PPV post-Taker.

The main event was also very poor. The last ten minutes had no wrestling and was just finishers after finishers. All the kickouts were so predictable and the match had very little suspense.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

What an atrocity of a PPV, not one WOW moment at any point. At the very least, tease a Cena turn, even if your not gonna follow through. Have him shake Rock's hand then rip the brama bull decals off the belt and toss them to the ground as he walks away. So much mediocrity tonight.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:55 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I actually liked the matches but a Wrestlemania w/o a swerve? That's just poor writing and poor booking. Nobody is better for this event occurring in terms of taking a step in the right direction for their career. Easily the star of the night for me was Paul Heyman. Punk/Taker put on a good match but nothing that will be remembered in the annals of history.

So disappointing for a Wrestlemania. No heel turns. No cash-in. No career ending. No Team Hell No split. No gimmick matches or truly unique spots. Nothing memorable happened at this event. If it was any other PPV, I can let this go but a Wrestlemania is supposed to have something memorable.
I think you nailed it. We needed something here in terms of storyline. A split, turn, cash-in, a unique spot. There was nothing to take to the water cooler tomorrow at work. "Hey Taker did it again at Wrestlemania!"...... then the discussion ends. Not something like "Can you believe DB turned heel and Ziggler cashed in?!" or "Holy santa clause **** did you see Cena turn heel? I can't wait to watch Raw tonight to find out what happens!!"

Old
04-07-2013, 10:55 PM
duckchobbins

Anticipating getting home around 6am or crashing at a friends dorm in Hartford. Had a blast. Punk taker was unreal. Entrances. Psychology. Finish. Picture perfect match. The Shield match was fun. Loved that it was a clean win. Rollins was very good in all aspects here. The tag match was fun and had a nice Benoit finish.

Main even had a really fun final five minutes that kept me guessing. The clean win and post match garbage ruined it.

I will try to get into more detail tomorrow. The whole shoe seemed like Vince flexing his muscle to me. Puff daddy, all the random pyro. They made it into a sideshow IMO.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:56 PM
RussianRocket10

I thought the main event had suspense. The crowd got excited and on their feet every time there was a false finish. The crowd started out dead but they got better.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Terrible, just terrible.

Im done with the WWE. That was my last straw. Just deleted Raw, Smackdown and Sunday night Heat from my DVR pre recording lists.
Haha, you are THAT invested in this stuff?? It's entertainment. It passes the time.

I actually enjoyed the HHH/Lesnar match. It carried an underlying intensity the whole time. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing Lesnar wrestle, but I thought he was pretty intimidating.

My disappointment is not seeing a shocking heel turn or surprise entrance. That's the stuff I miss as a kid. But as someone pointed out above, "WrestleMania" sells itself. They need to invest the creativity in other events to generate those views.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:57 PM
duckchobbins

Oh and the only swerve was the lack of a flyover. Huge disappointment

Old
04-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I remember seeing that and saying "WTF is HHH covered in?".

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:59 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Oh and the only swerve was the lack of a flyover. Huge disappointment

No televised America the Beautiful either. I was almost upset with it because it didn't have that big-time feel. I love that stuff.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

When the biggest "wow" moment is CM Punk hitting Old School on the Undertaker, you know the PPV was cable TV quality.

The Jericho match (missed LS, into Walls of Jericho that is reversed into a roll up victory) was something you have on RAW or Smackdown! to lead up to the event. It proved nothing.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:01 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

No televised America the Beautiful either. I was almost upset with it because it didn't have that big-time feel. I love that stuff.
Yeah! Lillian came out and we all expected the song and a flyover. Then sheamus marches out?

Oh and did swagger get a jobber entrance? He rode out in a quad

Old
04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

I'd give the whole show something between 7 and 8 out of 10.

Rock was much better in his match, this one was even by his standards better than his last two matches against Punk. Towards the end of the match, he didn't look nearly as gassed as in those.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
What an atrocity of a PPV, not one WOW moment at any point. At the very least, tease a Cena turn, even if your not gonna follow through. Have him shake Rock's hand then rip the brama bull decals off the belt and toss them to the ground as he walks away. So much mediocrity tonight.
I felt the heel tease at the end when Cena was mimicking the people's elbow. That and the fact he was screwing around again after last year suggested he lost focus. It was the perfect opportunity to hit the Rock with the belt at the end, but alas nothing. The multiple finishers and doing each other's moves was so painfully predictable, it was hard to watch.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:04 PM
RussianRocket10

I feel like WM was missing another gimmick match. Maybe it was just me though. It's probably due to the fact that I miss MITB at WM. The only gimmick match they had was the No Holds Barred match. There should have been a ladder or table or something match in there that involved a huge crazy spot to make the crowd go "Holy ****" like Jeff Hardy at WM 23.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm not a regular viewer (used to be) but a bunch of us get together and order the Rumble and Wrestlemania...

I thought it was terrible. Didn't have any of that "Wrestlemania aura" that WM's usually have. It felt like an above-average Raw, to be honest. That's what happens when your 3 biggest matches (HHH/Brock, Taker/Punk, Cena/Rock) are no brainers.

Cena/Taker was a great bout, that was about it. I was shocked at how awful the main event was. Four clotheslines, 15 minutes of rest holds, and 15 minutes of finishers/reversals/finishers? Solid booking.
Same story for me. A bunch of my friends all got together and watched it, didn't even buy it just streamed it. It was terrible. IMO it lacked passion HARD, I remember being at WM 18 and every match was very good and had a nice build up. Even the main event was terrible, and nothing exciting outside of the match itself. I really hope it wasn't Rock's last match.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:08 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I think people need to relax on saying it was terrible. I don't understand how you can say that when The Shield continues to dominate and Punk/Taker put on a ****ing awesome match. We have been spoiled by Taker's streak and recent matches. They are just amazing. They always surpass the hype which is almost impossible. But it does. Every single time.

Sure - we are all bored of Cena. I get it. Enough people have stopped watching the program already as it is. We had like a 14.0 combined market share of wrestling in it's glory days. Now we are amazed at like a 4. So... nothing will change there. Just stop watching it if that's the case. Or, be a kid again and try to enjoy it for what it is.
Because not everybody are Shield marks and/or are sick of what they've been doing for the past 6 months. I am in the latter. I want to like The Shield, but they bore me tremendously right now and I couldn't have cared less about their match.

The show sucked for what it was supposed to be. This show deserved to be in Nassau Memorial with a PPV called "Re-Match", not at MetLife for what is our "SuperBowl"

If this was your May or June PPV, then it was good. However: this is WrestleMania.

This WrestleMania was like the Denver/Atlanta SuperBowl: Enjoyable for Bronco marks, but for the rest? It was lame and not entertaining.

Did people get their hopes up for Cena heel turns, a Streak ending, and Ziggler cash-ins? Yes they did. However, that doesn't stop this from being a 1 match show with Undertaker/Punk where everything else was average-to-well below average.

Look at the card. This show was predictable 1-8. When the biggest surprises are Mark Henry winning in a midcard match and an 8 man tag getting bumped... you know there are problems creatively. Too boot, 1 match delivered that MOTN performance. The others will be forgotten by Tuesday.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 04-07-2013 at 11:16 PM.
El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Deen

vCash: 50
Somewhere right now Scott Hall is asking if everyone is there to see WWE? or are they there to the WWF? One more for the grown ups....

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote