HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/CBJ] Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to Columbus for Brassard, Dorsett, J. Moore, 6th

Old
04-05-2013, 04:40 PM
16 To Stanley*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
I agree with the "opening one hole by filling three" but IMO, it's harder to fill a hole of Gaborik's caliber than of Brassard, Moore, etc. Players like Gaborik are rare... not many score 40 goals often.

As a Devils fan, I'm pretty happy with the trade. I think it makes the Rangers less scary/competitive overall but extends their 'window' by a year or two (I was previously of the opinion that they would be a heavy contender for the cup this year and next year.. now I think they can still get back to that status but it's going to take another move or a breakout or two but they're a safer bet at competing for another 3-4 years). They would have been okay salary wise next year unless Clowe is asking for the moon (and the more I read about it, the more that seems like). I don't expect any of the RFAs to get huge paydays.

This trade is basically a flip of the Nash trade. People on this board blasted Howson for that trade.. but the Rangers gave up a lot IMO. Roster players are more valuable than futures. Columbus also gave up a lot in terms of depth players. Back to square one, essentially last year's team with Nash instead of Gaborik.

Would I take Nash over Gaborik? Personally, no. Nash has impressed but Gaborik has the higher peak. Couldn't get there this year but if I'm building a contender, Gaborik's a guy I want on my team. What I've seen this year from Nash is that he needs the puck on his stick to be super-effective. He's not the type of player that will sneak into open ice, receive a pass and snipe it top corner. Don't get me wrong, Nash has an incredible skill-set and is among the best players in the league... but Gaborik scares you with and without the puck. You can gameplan for Nash, he's most dangerous when he has the puck and you're already focusing on him. You can't do the same with Gaborik who opens up ice for his teammates because opponents need to make sure they know where he is and have him covered even when he doesn't have the puck.

The biggest thing from this trade is that Tortorella isn't going anywhere anytime soon. This was a complete vote of confidence in Torts. This was "we're going to trade our 40 goal scorer because he doesn't fit with the style of players you want." Now he has more of his type of players.. but at a decent expense.
You're wrong about Nash and Gaborik. I know you watch the Rangers, but you clearly haven't watched enough. It's one of the few reasons i'm almost OK with this trade. The rangers went far last year with Gaborik as their go to guy. This year Nash is that go to guy. I think they are better off with him. He is not a better goal scorer than Gabby, but is a better and more dynamic player imo.

One, Nash, controls the flow of the game, the other is just a natural sniper who sneaks up on you. He won't control a shift but will out of nowhere get a quick shot off and trick you. Nash will dominate shifts in Jagr-lite ways.

Quite easily the more convincing player and this coming from a guy who's watched gaborik for 300-400 games. He's also my favorite, now, ex-ranger.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
You can if you are discussing mechanical aspects of his game. His speed is very much there and his release was very sharp.
In my personal opinion, watching him every game with the Rangers, Gaborik's quick release and speed are still there, but the velocity on his shot dropped about a year ago, around the time it was speculated that he was injured. It hasn't seemed the same since.

He started going to the ugly areas of the ice and scoring more garbage goals, tip-ins and such, and his accuracy is still there, but that laser wrister that used to be by goaltenders before they even saw the puck seems to be missing. I hope he gets it back/it isn't permanently gone, because if so, Columbus has a player that may exceed his previous goal totals having learned to score in more ways rather than just being a sniping ninja.

That, and being very pleasantly surprised by how Nash dominates a game almost every shift, is why I was ok with Gaborik being traded this season. I hope he turns it around in Columbus, and that the players the Rangers received develop well. If so, it's a win-win for both teams.

Honestly though, I've speculated for a year that it was actually a shoulder injury that dropped his shot velocity, and I wonder if he'll ever recover. Just watch the NHL highlights for his goals 2-3 seasons ago and this season. Notice how they were scored then vs. scored now. You'll see a noticeable difference.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
I don't think it was a locker room issue as much as it was a Tortorella issue. Tortorella and Richards go way back..
And that's a big part of the country club atmosphere. The coach is in charge and leading the way. It was seen with Keenan, we're seeing it with Torts.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:32 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
And that's a big part of the country club atmosphere. The coach is in charge and leading the way. It was seen with Keenan, we're seeing it with Torts.
and the Jets :p

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Section32

But if Gaborik wasn;t going to produce under Torts...and considering the fact that releasing him from next year's cap gives the Rangers the ability to sign their guys and still be in play for more makes this a good move.

I loved this guy and realize hoe good he is. But right now they have "the hobbit" back who is far better in shoot outs and depth that was lost last year.

This team will be different now...just watch Boyle play with more ferocity having these new guys...and I went to BC

Section32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Lundsanity30

The rangers have looked much better and tougher to play against since this trade. . 3 points out of 4 vs pens

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section32 View Post
But if Gaborik wasn;t going to produce under Torts...and considering the fact that releasing him from next year's cap gives the Rangers the ability to sign their guys and still be in play for more makes this a good move.

I loved this guy and realize hoe good he is. But right now they have "the hobbit" back who is far better in shoot outs and depth that was lost last year.

This team will be different now...just watch Boyle play with more ferocity having these new guys...and I went to BC
Well you don't really save much cap space.

Brassard = 3.7M
Moore = ~1m
Clowe will either get more than 4.5M or most likely leave as UFA.

Gaborik's cap space goes straight into the players acquired for him.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

Brassard = 3.7M
Moore = ~1m

True but that's 3 solid players. A 3c (2c?), a "prust", and a good looking future top 4 dman for the same price.. I think the Gabs Torts relationship was irrepairable and they picked the coach over the player oh well. Rangers are fun again to watch though and tougher to play against whatever happens

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:02 AM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

Brassard = 3.7M
Moore = ~1m

It saves a ton of cap space. The Rangers were going to have to address those needs one way or another. That's three players for that money vs. one player (who wasn't producing anyway). Now instead of going into the offseason trying to find a 2nd line or high-end 3rd line forward, 4-5 defenseman, and 3rd line center with little cap room, Sather only has to fill one forward spot. That can either be done with a young guy like Kreider, Fast, or Thomas, or he can use a bit of cap space available plus whatever is opened up through potential departures of guys like Gilroy, Hamrlik, and/or Pyatt.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Green Blob*

Rangers 2-0-1 since the trade, scoring 11 goals
Jackets 1-2-0 since the trade, scoring 4 goals.

The curse of Gaborik

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:51 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post

The curse of Gaborik
Or, get this.

OR

The Rangers finally got the depth they needed on the forwards, and have played to their potential... And the Blue Jackets were overachieving the past month or so, and are coming back to Earth?

Yeah.. That seems more like it.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Or, get this.

OR

The Rangers finally got the depth they needed on the forwards, and have played to their potential... And the Blue Jackets were overachieving the past month or so, and are coming back to Earth?

Yeah.. That seems more like it.
Also, Nashville, St. Louis, and Minnesota .

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:02 PM
TSA0402

Also, if Ryan Murray shows up next year, Ryan Johansen plays closer to his abilities, amongst the grit of the other top six forwards, this has the ability of a dangerous team.

Have a theory, this trade was decided for next year, more than the current one.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post

The curse of Gaborik
Maybe its more like.....

The Rangers caught the Pens on a back to back at the right time when they have a bunch of superstars out (Crosby, Letang) and....after the streak ended (inevitable letdown) Then throw in a win against Carolina who is the worst team in the league right now by a country mile. The Gaborik trade wouldn't have changed the last 3 games for NYR.

As for the Jackets, they suck and have returned to earth. Gaborik has been their best player over the last 3 games. The magic for everyone else is gone though. Bobrovsky included.

Bottom line is the NYR made a deal imo for this offseason to free up cap room. This move does not make the Rangers better. Trust me, as a Jackets fan you would make the playoffs with either roster (pre or post deadline).

Now if you were in the West then it might be a different story. Maybe.

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Or, get this.

OR

Yeah.. That seems more like it
Yea, not gonna lie but that sounds much more like it

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:23 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

I have no ill will towards Gaborik. I was more in favor of keeping him and just see what the team was going to be offered at the draft, but I really can't complain with the trade so far. It really replenished our depth and now players like Boyle who were overburdened with responsibility are flourishing.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:33 AM
plikestechno

I'm an Oilers fan and we have tons of Gaborik type players. I would kill to trade one of our skill guys for the trio of guys that went to the rangers. We can't seem to draft or develop any grit guys like the rangers got in that trade. Bad trade for Columbus. Moves them back not forward. The Nash trade was great for CBJ though as was the Jeff Carter one.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:00 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
I'm an Oilers fan and we have tons of Gaborik type players. I would kill to trade one of our skill guys for the trio of guys that went to the rangers. We can't seem to draft or develop any grit guys like the rangers got in that trade. Bad trade for Columbus. Moves them back not forward. The Nash trade was great for CBJ though as was the Jeff Carter one.
So you would trade Hall, RNH or Yakupov for that package?

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:43 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
So you would trade Hall, RNH or Yakupov for that package?
I'd assume the skilled guy he was referring to is Hemsky, who is much more comparable to Gaborik than those three due to age.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:47 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
There were no "rifts" between player and coach.

Regardless of the 240+ goal seasons Gaborik was a square peg in a round hole this season doing far more harm for the Rangers this year than good.

Gaborik was not in the long term plans and was going to get dealt at the draft or in the summer, Sather figured why wait if we can get the depth we have been lacking all season.

Rangers needed a 3rd line center - Got it in Brassard.

Rangers needed a bottom pairing defenceman - Got it in John Moore

Rangers needed a gritty bottom 6 forward - Got it in Dorsett.

Gaborik wasn't scoring (all 9 goals coming in 5 games). Aside from that Gaborik wasn't enough of a presence on the ice when he WASN'T scoring and that is a huge issue.

You can speculate all you want. I'm pretty confident that the Rangers had conversations about every player on the roster. Does that mean they do not want those players? Absolutely not. It means that the GM is doing his job.

Nothing more, Nothing less.

Gaborik seems to be a bit pouty when the "They didn't want me" crap.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:49 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Regardless of the two 40+ goal seasons Gaborik was a square peg in a round hole this season doing far more harm for the Rangers this year than good.

Gaborik was not in the long term plans and was going to get dealt at the draft or in the summer, Sather figured why wait if we can get the depth we have been lacking all season.

Gaborik wasn't scoring (all 9 goals coming in 5 games). Aside from that Gaborik wasn't enough of a presence on the ice when he WASN'T scoring and that is a huge issue.

You can speculate all you want. I'm pretty confident that the Rangers had conversations about every player on the roster. Does that mean they do not want those players? Absolutely not. It means that the GM is doing his job.

fixed.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:42 AM
feffan

I think this trade is one of those rare occassions that the team that gave up the best player (Rangers here) donīt get fleeced in the end. Good value for both in filling team needs as it seems to me. Thatīs under the assumption that Gaboriks last injuries hasnīt made him a lesser player.

feffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Rangerboy030

Quote:

Regardless of the 240+ goal seasons Gaborik was a square peg in a round hole this season doing far more harm for the Rangers this year than good.

Quote:
fixed.

If only

Rangerboy030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
We can't seem to draft or develop any grit guys like the rangers got in that trade. Bad trade for Columbus. Moves them back not forward.
I will agree that Derek Dorsett is a gritty player. He will quickly become a fan favorite in New York. But, let's not mistake Derrick Brassard and John Moore for gritty players. Brassard has never met a hit he liked and John Moore's game is not physical. Maybe they become that in NY, but they never really showed that in Columbus.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Look even now its a good trade for both teams. But the Rangers really need that depth. Columbus has a guy they can market and also throw in as a pure scorer

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote