HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2013, 09:43 PM
  #251
Abbotsford Heat
Registered User
 
Abbotsford Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,041
vCash: 50
i personally have Monahan 5th

Abbotsford Heat is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 09:52 PM
  #252
Signature
Disreputable User
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 50
My personal preference in the top 10 (aka how I see the draft will go down based on BPA):

1) Jones
2) Drouin
3) Mackinnon
4) Barkov
5) Nichushkin
6) Monahan
7) Lindholm
8) Shinkaruk
9) Nurse
10) Ristolainen

I feel like every player I listed has top-three D or top 6 O potential. I don't know about most goaltenders though.

Signature is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:24 PM
  #253
herashak
Registered User
 
herashak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
My personal preference in the top 10 (aka how I see the draft will go down based on BPA):

1) Jones
2) Drouin
3) Mackinnon
4) Barkov
5) Nichushkin
6) Monahan
7) Lindholm
8) Shinkaruk
9) Nurse
10) Ristolainen

I feel like every player I listed has top-three D or top 6 O potential. I don't know about most goaltenders though.
you would hope they have top 3 D or top 6 Offensive potential if you are drafting them in the top 10 in a good draft

herashak is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:28 PM
  #254
Signature
Disreputable User
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
you would hope they have top 3 D or top 6 Offensive potential if you are drafting them in the top 10 in a good draft
To phrase it better, I don't hope. I actually believe they do, as opposed to "welp let's just hope they pan out" after the top 3/5 consensus picks.

Signature is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:14 PM
  #255
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
There's a chance Calgary picks first all of a sudden.

I have no idea what they'll do to be honest. Jones seems to be a stud, but that D-man first overall scares the hell of out me personally. I see his skill, his size and his ability... but man...

If pans out it's going to rock, if he doesn't pan out it will be devastating; still stuck with the same gaping hole we've had for 15+ years one way or another.

Volica is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 12:00 AM
  #256
Abbotsford Heat
Registered User
 
Abbotsford Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
There's a chance Calgary picks first all of a sudden.

I have no idea what they'll do to be honest. Jones seems to be a stud, but that D-man first overall scares the hell of out me personally. I see his skill, his size and his ability... but man...

If pans out it's going to rock, if he doesn't pan out it will be devastating; still stuck with the same gaping hole we've had for 15+ years one way or another.
Jones is going to be Pronger 2.0 you have to take him if you get the opportunity.

I would love to some how get the the #1 and another pick in the top 10 to draft Monahan. Or if we stay @ #3/4 then Barkov and Nurse would be excellent picks.

Abbotsford Heat is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 12:07 AM
  #257
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,571
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Jones is going to be Pronger 2.0 you have to take him if you get the opportunity.

I would love to some how get the the #1 and another pick in the top 10 to draft Monahan. Or if we stay @ #3/4 then Barkov and Nurse would be excellent picks.
Not saying Jones isn't going to be a good defenseman but some of the last few top defensive prospects were Barker,J.Johnson,E.Johnson,Ellerby, etc and they never lived up the name they were given. (Not saying all were this hyped or good but still top defensive prospect usually end up being disappointing)

I wouldn't take Nurse before 6/7

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 12:10 AM
  #258
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Jones is going to be Pronger 2.0 you have to take him if you get the opportunity.

I would love to some how get the the #1 and another pick in the top 10 to draft Monahan. Or if we stay @ #3/4 then Barkov and Nurse would be excellent picks.
If he's even Pronger .75 (Like 75% of the player he is) he'd be, by FAR, the best pick. Taking a Dman so early is scary business though, for me personally. From the games I have seen of him, and honestly, it takes a lot to get me to a WHL game nowadays lol; he's serious business.

There are so many leaks in this organization, you don't know which one to fix first lol.

Volica is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 12:12 AM
  #259
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I wouldn't take Nurse before 6/7
I have him:
1. Jones
2. Mac
3. Barkov
4. Drouin
5. Lindholm
6. Ristolainen
7. Monahan
8. Zadorov
9. Shinkaruk
10. Nurse

So I wouldn't personally take him until 10th =oD

Volica is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 12:14 AM
  #260
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,571
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
I have him:
1. Jones
2. Mac
3. Barkov
4. Drouin
5. Lindholm
6. Ristolainen
7. Monahan
8. Zadorov
9. Shinkaruk
10. Nurse

So I wouldn't personally take him until 10th =oD
That looks close to mine but I could see Nurse as high as 6/7 for a team desperate for defense. Personally I have him behind only Zadorov and Jones for defenseman.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 12:19 AM
  #261
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
That looks close to mine but I could see Nurse as high as 6/7 for a team desperate for defense. Personally I have him behind only Zadorov and Jones for defenseman.
Yeah. I might be biased because I like Finnish players.
Zadorov has that ability in him to be really high end as well, could see him 2-3 years down the road getting top four minutes, he's already bigger than most guys lol; also already more than filled out his frame.

Volica is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 12:23 AM
  #262
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild
 
FLAMES666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,254
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I would love to some how get the the #1 and another pick in the top 10 to draft Monahan. Or if we stay @ #3/4 then Barkov and Nurse would be excellent picks.
I was also thinking of that. I think it would take both St.L and Pitts 1st as well as Backlund to move up and get Monohan. But getting Jones and Monohan would be unbelievable.

FLAMES666 is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 12:43 AM
  #263
Abbotsford Heat
Registered User
 
Abbotsford Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Not saying Jones isn't going to be a good defenseman but some of the last few top defensive prospects were Barker,J.Johnson,E.Johnson,Ellerby, etc and they never lived up the name they were given. (Not saying all were this hyped or good but still top defensive prospect usually end up being disappointing)

I wouldn't take Nurse before 6/7
And since all those defenseman you listed there has been an amazing run of defenders chosen in the top 10.

Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, L. Schenn (to a point), Hedman and Ekman-Larsson have all lived up to their lofty draft positions.

Eric Gudbranson, Dylan McIlrath, Adam Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Jared Cown and Jonas Brodin are all looking like they will as well.

Which by the way is every single defenseman picked in the top 10 between 2008 & 2011. I am ignoring the 2012 draft because I know you will agree it is way too soon to judge them. So when the worst defensemen picked in the top 10 from 2008 to 2011 are Luke Schenn, Jared Cowen and Dylan McIlrath it makes me alot less hesitant to choose defensemen at the top of the draft.

Abbotsford Heat is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 12:48 AM
  #264
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,571
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
And since all those defenseman you listed there has been an amazing run of defenders chosen in the top 10.

Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, L. Schenn (to a point), Hedman and Ekman-Larsson have all lived up to their lofty draft positions.

Eric Gudbranson, Dylan McIlrath, Adam Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Jared Cown and Jonas Brodin are all looking like they will as well.

Which by the way is every single defenseman picked in the top 10 between 2008 & 2011. I am ignoring the 2012 draft because I know you will agree it is way too soon to judge them. So when the worst defensemen picked in the top 10 from 2008 to 2011 are Luke Schenn, Jared Cowen and Dylan McIlrath it makes me alot less hesitant to choose defensemen at the top of the draft.
To soon for all of them except for Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo. But OEL and Brodin have looked amazing. I am not saying it isn't possible to have great defensemen from the top 10 my point was all the ones I listed and been seen at the time as the next elite defenseman. Most you listed proved my point you can get great defenseman not at 1.

Its not an exact science of course but I am just leery of defenseman that are seen as the next great ones as most top defenseman end up breaking out after their draft, Karlsson/Subban/Keith/Letang etc.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 12:54 AM
  #265
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 50
I wouldn't be upset if we landed Morrissey with St.Louis pick... Kids a stud, and a huge Flames fan.. (Calgary kid.) Check out his twitter.

Money Baer is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 01:19 AM
  #266
MVW
Moderator
 
MVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,998
vCash: 50
I just feel like the Flames need to hit a slam dunk with a franchise forward. Jones would be amazing but I think personally that we need Mac more.

However I am totally on board with the Jones and Monahan idea. Tell me where to sign.

MVW is online now  
Old
04-08-2013, 01:21 AM
  #267
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 50
Anyone know where I can purchase a ticket for the draft? I'm not having much luck

Money Baer is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 02:09 AM
  #268
Abbotsford Heat
Registered User
 
Abbotsford Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Anyone know where I can purchase a ticket for the draft? I'm not having much luck
here you go.

http://www.prucenter.com/default.asp?id=87&objid=1210

but I don't think they are on sale yet.

Abbotsford Heat is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 02:10 AM
  #269
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,619
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Anyone know where I can purchase a ticket for the draft? I'm not having much luck
Make sure you bring some tomatoes with you....just in case.

InfinityIggy is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 05:42 AM
  #270
TherapyforGlencross
Regular HFer
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,585
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
here you go.

http://www.prucenter.com/default.asp?id=87&objid=1210

but I don't think they are on sale yet.
They do not go on sale until later this month.

TherapyforGlencross is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 07:14 AM
  #271
Grannys
Registered User
 
Grannys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London, UK
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500
Still so confused by the new lottery system...

Technically (not at all realistic), we could land the top 3 picks from this draft right? Everyone has a chance...

As well as technically we could get the last 3 picks...

I know the chance of that happening is the same as winning a real lottery. Am I getting this right?

Grannys is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 07:21 AM
  #272
Nordberg
Registered User
 
Nordberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Landskrona
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Still so confused by the new lottery system...

Technically (not at all realistic), we could land the top 3 picks from this draft right? Everyone has a chance...

As well as technically we could get the last 3 picks...

I know the chance of that happening is the same as winning a real lottery. Am I getting this right?
Playoff teams can't get the top pick and no team can move down more than one spot. Assuming we finish 2nd last the worst pick our pick could be is 3rd overall.

Nordberg is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 07:53 AM
  #273
Abbotsford Heat
Registered User
 
Abbotsford Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Still so confused by the new lottery system...

Technically (not at all realistic), we could land the top 3 picks from this draft right? Everyone has a chance...

As well as technically we could get the last 3 picks...

I know the chance of that happening is the same as winning a real lottery. Am I getting this right?
All non-playoff teams have a shot at the #1 pick. Also only 1 team is drawn as a lottery winner, that team moves to 1st overall and everyone above them drops 1 spot.

Quote:
NHL draft odds of receiving the 1st Overall Pick:
1st - 25.0%
2nd - 18.8%
3rd - 14.2%
4th - 10.7%
5th - 8.1%
6th - 6.2%
7th - 4.7%
8th - 3.6%
9th - 2.7%
10th - 2.1%
11th - 1.5%
12th - 1.1%
13th - 0.8%
14th - 0.5%

Abbotsford Heat is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 08:10 AM
  #274
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
All non-playoff teams have a shot at the #1 pick. Also only 1 team is drawn as a lottery winner, that team moves to 1st overall and everyone above them drops 1 spot.
It would be a cruel fate if Calgary picks between 10th and 14th

MarkGio is offline  
Old
04-08-2013, 08:27 AM
  #275
Abbotsford Heat
Registered User
 
Abbotsford Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
It would be a cruel fate if Calgary picks between 10th and 14th
how would that even happen? The Flames would have to go on an unbelievable tear, without Bouwmeester and Iginla that will just not happen. I can't foresee the Flames finishing out of the bottom 5, so at worst a 6th overall pick.

Abbotsford Heat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.