HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niklas Backstrom, Josh Harding, Darcy Kuemper, and Johan Gustafsson, OH MY!

Old
04-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
IMO, Fletcher has waited too long to get a good deal out of Backstrom. I was hoping he'd re-sign him for $2-2.5m but I think it will be closer to $4-5m.

Harding I think will be bought out...sorry but it's business.

Kuemper is penciling himself in as goalie of the future and Gustafsson comes over to start for Houston. BUT I could also see the Wild going after a veteran backup so Kuemper gets more starts down there and they split the load. We'll see.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 475
Just throwing this situation out there. Never have we seen any sort of "quit" in Harding, he has full confidence he will play in the NHL again. So, what if he doesn't retire? Maybe he feels great over the offseason and wants to play. I'm not ready to bank on him retiring, the man is a warrior.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it is a possibility. I could see him retiring though, just because he's such a team player, and wouldn't put the franchise in that position. I'm sure they will give him some sort of job with the organization.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Trading Hackett hasn't changed things. We were going to have to extend Backstrom anyway. Hackett and Kuemper are not ready for the number 1 goalie slot yet.

We buy out Harding and have Kuemper as the backup with Gustafsson as our AHL starter. Sign Backstrom for 3 years at 4mill/yr

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Trading Hackett hasn't changed things. We were going to have to extend Backstrom anyway. Hackett and Kuemper are not ready for the number 1 goalie slot yet.

We buy out Harding and have Kuemper as the backup with Gustafsson as our AHL starter. Sign Backstrom for 3 years at 4mill/yr
Backs is 35 years old....I would start with 2 years at $4 million. Hopefully by then, we'll have a better idea of who gets the starting job between Kuemper and Gustaffson.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I don't think we can buy out Harding once we buy out Heatley. And I don't mean that in a "we just can't afford to lose a guy like him" sense, I mean like we literally can't buy him out. Pretty sure we only get one amnesty buyout per off-season so if we use it on Heatley, then there's none left to use on Harding until next off-season. I guess we could just use a normal buy-out on him, but if we're gonna do that then we might as well just keep him and put him on LTIR.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They can use both

Old
04-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Sheng Peng
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
IMO, Fletcher has waited too long to get a good deal out of Backstrom. I was hoping he'd re-sign him for $2-2.5m but I think it will be closer to $4-5m.
Excellent point, but in Fletcher's defense, there's still doubt about whether or not Backstrom is the kind of guy you want starting on a contender.

And Backstrom won't really answer that question until the playoffs, which makes projecting his future cap hit very premature. What if he totally flames out? Or if he goes on a Jonathan Quick-like run? There's millions of dollars of difference between those possibilities.

Sheng Peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Either way it's small sample size. I'll go with his 350+ regular season games over his ~10 playoff games.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

Kuemper is penciling himself in as goalie of the future and Gustafsson comes over to start for Houston. BUT I could also see the Wild going after a veteran backup so Kuemper gets more starts down there and they split the load. We'll see.
Worst case scenario. Can we really afford to have a 4-5 million goaltender? I know we're going to buy out Heatley but we need to fix our defense and badly.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

I think Bäcks will take a hefty paycut to finnish his NHL career in Minnesota, especially if we prove ourselves a playoff contender this year, he hasnt played a game in an another team so hes gonna want to win it here.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
I think Bäcks will take a hefty paycut to finnish his NHL career in Minnesota, especially if we prove ourselves a playoff contender this year, he hasnt played a game in an another team so hes gonna want to win it here.
What you did there, I see it.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:50 PM
ford0016

we need to go after bernier

ford0016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Kaptain
WarBortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford0016 View Post
we need to go after bernier
No

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:27 PM
saywut

Harding's not going to simply walk away from nearly 4M in the next 2 seasons and retire, he's going to have to be bought out. It was a poor contract when it was signed and has only gotten worse because of unfortunate events. Backstrom or another competent NHL starter needs to be here next year and in the future, Darcy Kuemper is not that right now. As for Kuemper as a back-up, he's done nothing to suggest it would be a better option than entering this season with Hackett as our back-up, which Fletcher refused to do, instead giving Harding his contract which has put us in a predicament. I would expect Fletcher once again to have 2 goalies on 1-way contracts with Keumper/Gustafsson remaining in Houston barring injuries at the NHL level. Re-sign Backstrom or sign/trade for a competent starter, sign a UFA to a 1-way to be the back-up, Kuemper/Gustafsson in Houston. Theodore would be great as a 1-year back-up if he's willing to come in for ~1M.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

I'm sure Gustafsson will need a season to get used to the speed and difference of the North American game. That being said, right now he may be above Kuemper on the goaltending chart. And thats saying something given how great Kuemper is. That guy is as cool as they come. Glad they got rid of Hackett. He was either dynamite or helping open the flood gates. Lets in one goal and you can see him start twitching on the ice, gets the pidgeon as they say.

Backstrom will be back. At a reduced price of course, but not at the bargain we think him to be. 2 years at 3.75-4.5 would be a good rate.

Depending on how the Harding situation continues to play out, may be bought out. Still a business. Still not worth the roster spot. Great guy and could be used in another faucet in the organization. But not if he isn't healthy, unfortunately. Sure is talented.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Tyler Durden

Wild Goalies Next Year

I'm hoping its Harding that is the backup goalie next year and that he gets better, but if doesnt who is the Wild backup goalie next year to Backstrom? Is it Kuemper? Or do the Wild look for a backup in the off season? Does Jeff Deslauriers have a chance?

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:23 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
I'm hoping its Harding that is the backup goalie next year and that he gets better, but if doesnt who is the Wild backup goalie next year to Backstrom? Is it Kuemper? Or do the Wild look for a backup in the off season? Does Jeff Deslauriers have a chance?
If harding's unable I think they'd go with kuemper as a backup, cheaper than a Ufa backup. Then gustafsson in Houston with whoever.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
RussLindberg

Johan Gustafsson

I am a Luleå / Flyers fan. And from what I have seen of Gustafsson the games he have played. I could almost say that he feels better than Lundquist did, before the 04-05 season when he took frölunda to their gold. Gustafsson has been splendid for Luleå, and made huge saves when most needed. ( http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=1030 )

My own scouting report is that. Gustafsson is a stong and very stabile goalie, sure of hes positioning. But needs to get more ice time. He's very good beeing square to the shooter and rarely makes any mistakes. He needs to get a little bit better of using hes size to make him bigger in the net. (has a tendancy to "get small" in the net when screened or in a fast "post to post" play)

Even tough I feel that he might not be as ready for the big league as Lundquist was, his first NHL season. but with one year in AHL as a starter, and I can almost say that I am pretty sure that Gustafsson, could be the goalie that brings Minnesota to a Cup in the future.

RussLindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:27 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:

I wonder if we can buy Harding out. Rule is, you can't buy out an injured player. I guess it depends on how they define his MS in regards to the buy out.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:29 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussLindberg View Post
I am a Luleå / Flyers fan. And from what I have seen of Gustafsson the games he have played. I could almost say that he feels better than Lundquist did, before the 04-05 season when he took frölunda to their gold. Gustafsson has been splendid for Luleå, and made huge saves when most needed. ( http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=1030 )

My own scouting report is that. Gustafsson is a stong and very stabile goalie, sure of hes positioning. But needs to get more ice time. He's very good beeing square to the shooter and rarely makes any mistakes. He needs to get a little bit better of using hes size to make him bigger in the net. (has a tendancy to "get small" in the net when screened or in a fast "post to post" play)

Even tough I feel that he might not be as ready for the big league as Lundquist was, his first NHL season. but with one year in AHL as a starter, and I can almost say that I am pretty sure that Gustafsson, could be the goalie that brings Minnesota to a Cup in the future.
Welcome....and thanks for the scouting report. Is it pretty much a certainty that he comes over to North America next season?

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:45 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:

Excited for Gustafsson. I love that he flew into for the NHL draft. He was awesome in the World Juniors. Haven't seen him enough in the Swedish Elite, but he definitely has a place in the Wild franchise moving forward.

Gustafsson and Kuemper will be fighting it out to be the Wild's goalie in the post-Backstrom era.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:24 PM
goatvindaloo

Quote:

Thanks for the review, congratulations and good luck to Luleå!
I've only watched about 12 Luleå games this year, and most were during the lockout. I agree with you about Gustafsson, and I definitely agree with the thought that he has trouble being screened. This of course is going to happen a lot more often to him in North America. If he can get past that I have no doubt he can make it in the NHL.

goatvindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
RussLindberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Is it pretty much a certainty that he comes over to North America next season?
Yes!.
Source.
I have played hockey myself in Sweden and Finland for many years, and two years ago I talked future with Gustafsson after one of the training camps (we bouth where attending) and he said that he wanted and the Wilds wanted him to stay in sweden 1-2 more years.

I have spoken to "JG" many times after that, and he is prety confident and sure that after this season he will be in the Wilds organisation.

RussLindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Sweet, thanks for the info.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote