HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Old
04-07-2013, 12:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post
you just are not grasping hte whole asset management aspect it looks like.
I would say you're not grasping the whole asset management thing when you considered Harry Z and Sestito assets.

Quote:
i am also surprised it took the gm as long as he did to to replace sestito, that was only a matter of time. he had the guy in house but let him go for nothing. trades another asset for a worse player.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:39 PM
mantis toboggan

Wow. I can't believe people are still *****ing about this 2015 3rd. At least now we have a competant back up with potential to be a number one. And we don't have MFL to come in and make things worse when bryz craps the bed (which is becoming a very common occurance)

mantis toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:47 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogenIsTheMan View Post
Wow. I can't believe people are still *****ing about this 2015 3rd. At least now we have a competant back up with potential to be a number one. And we don't have MFL to come in and make things worse when bryz craps the bed (which is becoming a very common occurance)
But but but but Gostisbehere! But Cousins! They're PROVEN ASSETS!

04-07-2013, 12:51 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I think its time for me to hibernate from here for another year and a half, the flyers could go 82-0 and sweep the the playoffs and most of you would ***** and whine incessantly about SOMETHING. A 2015 3rd is a quality asset? Yall are ****ing insane. 2 years to replace that oh so important "asset". A 3rd. A ****ING 3RD! Jesus.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:48 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
I think its time for me to hibernate from here for another year and a half, the flyers could go 82-0 and sweep the the playoffs and most of you would ***** and whine incessantly about SOMETHING. A 2015 3rd is a quality asset? Yall are ****ing insane. 2 years to replace that oh so important "asset". A 3rd. A ****ING 3RD! Jesus.
I've done the same before

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Holy overreaction batman.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:51 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I would say you're not grasping the whole asset management thing when you considered Harry Z and Sestito assets.
you are correct. thaks fr setting thigns straight

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
you are correct. thaks fr setting thigns straight
No problem.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
you just are not grasping hte whole asset management aspect it looks like.

an early look at mason, give me a break. wha do you need to see? no conclusion wll nor should be maed inthe 4 or 5 games he ends up playing. he has been trending downward for years now.

so when yo make valid points it is complaining, sure why not.
Because you act like we gave up the farm for Mason. We gave up arguably the worst goaltender in the NHL and a 3rd round pick in 2015. Do we need a history lesson of Leighton? LOL
Now obviously Mason has struggled in recent history. But the guy is 24 so he is young enough where he can turn things around. Leighton is what he is. He belongs in the AHL.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:04 PM
poneill27

All aboard the M train!!!!

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:13 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
All aboard the M train!!!!
I'm on the M train i want to see him play.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

LMAO! That's great Jeff I don't have any expectations from you either...

Quote:
"He's been beaten down a little bit there," said goalie coach Jeff Reese, referring to Columbus. "I think the best way to go about it is to take one step back and two steps forward. We're not going to put any expectations on him."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...eve_Mason.html

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:53 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post

How about you give me 3 million a year guys? You don't have to have any expectations for me either.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:42 AM
dats81

Steve Mason's early years remind me a bit of Brian Boucher.
A young goalie with high upside and great tools unexpectedly puts up a stunning rookie season, expectations keep rising very fast, but once he faces some adversity his overboarding ego and inability to take on any advice from coaches drag him into a downward spiral.

It took Boosh nearly a decade to figure out that he had to change his mindset, accept a smaller role, work harder day by day and that a young goalie, no matter how talented, does not always know better. We can just hop that Steve Mason can change faster.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:37 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Because you act like we gave up the farm for Mason. We gave up arguably the worst goaltender in the NHL and a 3rd round pick in 2015. Do we need a history lesson of Leighton? LOL
Now obviously Mason has struggled in recent history. But the guy is 24 so he is young enough where he can turn things around. Leighton is what he is. He belongs in the AHL.
forget leighton he isnt part of the equation.he was done in 10 games anyway. not even part of this discussion.

why waste a 3rd rd pick on a guy you can sign for free in2 months? that is my questions. it is a waste of an asset. what type of read are you goign to get on maosn in the 4 or so games he plays?

yeah he is young enough to possibly turn it around and there is also the possibility he doesnt no? alos the possibility he regresses no?

Old
04-08-2013, 07:39 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
jeff reese is another clown who needs to go. what has he done inhis time here or in tampa? nothing imo. has anyone improved?

go tell sean burke you will double his salary and let him work with bryz again. has to be better than reese.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:40 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
But but but but Gostisbehere! But Cousins! They're PROVEN ASSETS!
It is one thing to care about a 3rd round pick. It is another to mock Cousins and Ghost. Both are solid 3rd round picks that project well. Teams need these types of players. Your pathetic attempt at sarcasm may have actually changed my mind on this one. I hope you enjoyed patting yourself on the back.

Just because 3rd rounders do not have a lot of value statistically, doesn't mean that our organization can't be the one who hits consistently on them, in the same way that statistically, I'm more prone to injure someone with a handgun that is not a criminal -- but it is always possible that I'm just really good at owning a handgun and consistently only use handguns defensively and safely. Why should I care about how others use the picks if I am good with them? If so, then they have more value than people are letting on.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:02 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Mason needs to start the next game its a 4 pt game a win and then still have a game in hand on the NYI who hold the last playoff spot.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:37 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
why waste a 3rd rd pick on a guy you can sign for free in2 months? that is my questions. it is a waste of an asset. what type of read are you goign to get on maosn in the 4 or so games he plays?
You can get a read on his work ethic/willingness to learn in practices and a feel for whether he can fit into the team personality wise. Plus by having him in the fold earlier the team can set him up with a training program they think would benefit him to work on once the season end instead of waiting until July (not that I put much faith in Reese/the Flyers training staff to set up a good program).

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:44 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
It is one thing to care about a 3rd round pick. It is another to mock Cousins and Ghost. Both are solid 3rd round picks that project well. Teams need these types of players. Your pathetic attempt at sarcasm may have actually changed my mind on this one. I hope you enjoyed patting yourself on the back.

Just because 3rd rounders do not have a lot of value statistically, doesn't mean that our organization can't be the one who hits consistently on them, in the same way that statistically, I'm more prone to injure someone with a handgun that is not a criminal -- but it is always possible that I'm just really good at owning a handgun and consistently only use handguns defensively and safely. Why should I care about how others use the picks if I am good with them? If so, then they have more value than people are letting on.
Not mocking the two, but when your proof of how trading a 3rd round pick to address a team need are two guys that have yet to step foot on NHL ice, I'm sorry, but I disagree. I'm not patting myself on the back for anything, either. I'm obviously not rooting for these guys to fail.

Just calm down, man. I'm sorry I upset you to the point where you had a complete change of heart regarding this all important draft pick, I was just stating my pathetic opinion with pathetic sarcasm on these pathetic forums for people with pathetic pariah complexes, myself being one of them.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
forget leighton he isnt part of the equation.he was done in 10 games anyway. not even part of this discussion.

yeah he is young enough to possibly turn it around and there is also the possibility he doesnt no? alos the possibility he regresses no?
Say we make the playoffs somehow, would you feel more comfortable with Leighton/Boucher as the backup or Mason? I know many don't expect the Flyers to make the playoffs and most don't have high exactions even if they do somehow make it in (myself included) but that's not how organizations work.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Say we make the playoffs somehow, would you feel more comfortable with Leighton/Boucher as the backup or Mason? I know many don't expect the Flyers to make the playoffs and most don't have high exactions even if they do somehow make it in (myself included) but that's not how organizations work.
Mason, hands down. no question.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:51 AM
jb**

Quote:
so you know how orginizations work, please tell what the flyers are doing then.

they should have addressed the backup goalie issue months ago. they didnt. this isnt about havign mason for the playoffs at all. you just seem to be missing the point. no biggie. enjoy your lunch.

who has a better playoff track record? the flyers backup slop or mason lol.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
You can get a read on his work ethic/willingness to learn in practices and a feel for whether he can fit into the team personality wise. Plus by having him in the fold earlier the team can set him up with a training program they think would benefit him to work on once the season end instead of waiting until July (not that I put much faith in Reese/the Flyers training staff to set up a good program).
i disagree, 2 weeks or whatever isnt going to give you much a read imo. then trade a 7th rd pick or wait until the draft. i honestly cant wait to see what he resigns for.

the fact they actually accepted leighton to back up bob tells me they wanted mason out very quickly. bob goes down they are done.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:08 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
so you know how orginizations work, please tell what the flyers are doing then.

they should have addressed the backup goalie issue months ago. they didnt. this isnt about havign mason for the playoffs at all. you just seem to be missing the point. no biggie. enjoy your lunch.

who has a better playoff track record? the flyers backup slop or mason lol.
I never said I was an expert on how organizations work. I just know they're not all doom and gloom like you. I think the Flyers should stay pay patient and continue to restock the farm system and that seems like what their gearing to do with their lack if big moves during the deadline. Whether its right or wrong most teams will do what the need to do if the playoffs are still in sight. They don't admit defeat as easily as us fans.

You're right it should have been addressed earlier but it wasn't. I'm pretty sure they acquired him with the playoffs in mind since Lavi didn't trust neither Leighton and Boucher.

I would think most fans on this board would feel way more comfortable with Mason in net than them two regardless of what their playoff records are.

As for the out to lunch comment. That's comical coming from a guy who's been grasping at straws for stuff to complain about.