HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 04:22 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I don't think we need Huskins. He hasn't been bad, but Gervais and Gustafsson are on par with him, if not better.
I like what I've seen from gus in th last few games. He looks more confident and poised.

But Gervais is awful. Huskins has shown me more in the 4 games he's played than Gervais has shown me AT ALL.

I'd like to see this next season; trade Laughton for Rundblad.
Trade mez for anything.

Timonen - Schenn
Rundblad - Coburn
Grossmann - Gustafsson
Huskins

Old
04-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I like what I've seen from gus in th last few games. He looks more confident and poised.

But Gervais is awful. Huskins has shown me more in the 4 games he's played than Gervais has shown me AT ALL.
I actually think Gervais is far from awful. He's not great, and he suffers from inconsistency. But he's a had a lot of games where he played really well. He had a bad game against Winnipeg, but so did others. That gaffe that led to Ladd's breakaway chance was pretty bad, and he was weak on the boards. But on goals that were scored against us, he was the one who actually had his man covered, whereas Gus/Lauridsen/can't-remember-them-all didn't and that led to a guy being left alone. So he's far from perfect, but his passes are also better than Gus's, Lauridsen's or Huskins's. Gus clearly has more creativity on the offense, but he's no dynamo yet. So I don't know. Huskins has shown he's a competent #6/#7 defensman, but I'm just saying we've got enough of those lying around.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:06 PM
TheLegendkiller

I have a feeling the Flyers will buy out Bryz and sign the also bought out Luongo.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:23 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I have a feeling the Flyers will buy out Bryz and sign the also bought out Luongo.
I really wouldn't be surprised if we bought out Bryz and traded fr Bernier in the offseason.

Between Mason, Bernier and Stolarz you'd think one of them HAS to pan out... Right?

Old
04-07-2013, 06:33 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
I really wouldn't be surprised if we bought out Bryz and traded fr Bernier in the offseason.

Between Mason, Bernier and Stolarz you'd think one of them HAS to pan out... Right?

Don't wanna think about what we would have to offer LA.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I could see that. Wouldn't be opposed to it either, for the right price. However, I think that if Luongo gets bought out, he is still going to get a pretty good salary. I don't think his cap hit is too bad, I think it is the length that makes his contract so unattractive.

Quote:

Also could see this. I think of those three, Mason has the best shot to pan out. Only because he has played well in the past and to me I think him turning it around is more likely than one of the others developing. Not necessarily saying that Mason WILL turn it around or that Bernier/Stolarz WON'T develop, just if we are talking about percentages or odds or whatever you want to call it, I think the safer bet is a guy turning it around.

Quote:
Don't wanna think about what we would have to offer LA.
My guess would be Couturier+1st would be where the negotiations started. Don't know if that would be PHL's offer or LA's offer, but that's where it would start in all likelihood.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
My guess would be Couturier+1st would be where the negotiations started. Don't know if that would be PHL's offer or LA's offer, but that's where it would start in all likelihood.
I can't imagine L.A. asking for that much. Couturier straight up is an overpayment, I think, though I could see them asking. Read + would seem a more reasonable starting point.

But I don't think adding Bernier (at the cost it would take) makes a lot of sense.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:38 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I can't imagine L.A. asking for that much. Couturier straight up is an overpayment, I think, though I could see them asking. Read + would seem a more reasonable starting point.

But I don't think adding Bernier (at the cost it would take) makes a lot of sense.
I agree. I would rather see Khudobin signed.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

Bernier makes zero sense. He is an unproven starter, only 60 career starts, and LA is asking for the moon. They would be better signing a UFA to play with Mason if they buy out Bryz. It's a buyers market this summer for goaltenders with few teams needing them and Backstrom, Nabokov, Howard, Smith, and Emery all ufas with Loungo a buyout candidate and Ryan Miller a trade candidate. All trade assets should be used to upgrade the defense IMO.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I actually think Gervais is far from awful. He's not great, and he suffers from inconsistency. But he's a had a lot of games where he played really well. He had a bad game against Winnipeg, but so did others. That gaffe that led to Ladd's breakaway chance was pretty bad, and he was weak on the boards. But on goals that were scored against us, he was the one who actually had his man covered, whereas Gus/Lauridsen/can't-remember-them-all didn't and that led to a guy being left alone. So he's far from perfect, but his passes are also better than Gus's, Lauridsen's or Huskins's. Gus clearly has more creativity on the offense, but he's no dynamo yet. So I don't know. Huskins has shown he's a competent #6/#7 defensman, but I'm just saying we've got enough of those lying around.
He also hit the post with a pretty good shot. I think he can stick around as a 6th or 7th defenseman.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I agree. I would rather see Khudobin signed.
http://eurohockey.com/article/2401-a...the-month.html
Could be a better signing.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:24 AM
dats81

Quote:

After Bryzaster is finally over, Homer will go bargain shelf again.

It hurt them in the past but with the salary cap coming down and proven Veterans signing cheap short term contracts recently (e.g. Vokoun) why not ride a tandem of Mason + ??? for a season or two and see how things develop? Can't get much worse...

Personally, I'd like them to sign Eriksson but knowing Homer's stubbornness that won't happen. They are very loyal with their guys - that's why Boosh, Leighton,.. keep comig back but obviously Sunshine and his management did not want to sour in ADK and now that bridge is burnt.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Personally, I'd like them to sign Eriksson but knowing Homer's stubbornness that won't happen.
How do you know Holmgren is stubborn?

Old
04-08-2013, 10:37 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
How do you know Holmgren is stubborn?
There used to be a goalie named Marty Biron who once tried to get paid according to market value and we all know how this ended. Biron fired his agent but at that time Homer did not even pick up the phone any more.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:49 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
After Bryzaster is finally over, Homer will go bargain shelf again.

It hurt them in the past but with the salary cap coming down and proven Veterans signing cheap short term contracts recently (e.g. Vokoun) why not ride a tandem of Mason + ??? for a season or two and see how things develop? Can't get much worse...

Personally, I'd like them to sign Eriksson but knowing Homer's stubbornness that won't happen. They are very loyal with their guys - that's why Boosh, Leighton,.. keep comig back but obviously Sunshine and his management did not want to sour in ADK and now that bridge is burnt.
I like everyone draws up their own conclusions about Homer regarding the Eriksson situation. It's always Homer's fault, yet 29 other teams havent signed this guy to a contract either.

Perhaps maybe it has more to do with Eriksson?

Old
04-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
There used to be a goalie named Marty Biron who once tried to get paid according to market value and we all know how this ended. Biron fired his agent but at that time Homer did not even pick up the phone any more.
Biron wanted $4 million plus a year which was too rich for Holmgrin to pay so he signed Emery on June 10th 2009 to be the starter. Holmgren then signed Boucher to be his backup on July 1st. Only after July 1st when Biron realized his misread the market for his services did his price go down. By then Holmgren had already filled the goaltending position. That is why he didn't pick up the phone. Not sure how any of that proves he is stubborn.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Curufinwe

I'll blame Homer for certain things, but Biron screwed that one up all by himself.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Esq.

Does anybody really expect Snyder to be okay with buyinh Bryzgalov out? He's got what, 7 years left at over $5MM per year on average? That would be a $35MM+ buyout. Then we'd have to add to that the cost of whomever we acquire to replace Bryz. Luongo would be insanely expensive. This is a business.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Does anybody really expect Snyder to be okay with buyinh Bryzgalov out? He's got what, 7 years left at over $5MM per year on average? That would be a $35MM+ buyout. Then we'd have to add to that the cost of whomever we acquire to replace Bryz. Luongo would be insanely expensive. This is a business.
It's less than that. Look up the details here.

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/

Old
04-08-2013, 11:14 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I expect them to buy him out after next year by then half of the contract will already be paid. Plus I'm sure it doesn't have to be paid all at once even though I think the Flyers could if they wanted to pay Bryz off immediately. I think the writing is on the wall that its going to happen. He already put the blame on Holmgren for signing Bryz to that contract.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I expect them to buy him out after next year by then half of the contract will already be paid. Plus I'm sure it doesn't have to be paid all at once even though I think the Flyers could if they wanted to pay Bryz off immediately. I think the writing is on the wall that its going to happen. He already put the blame on Holmgren for signing Bryz to that contract.
The buyout this summer would be $23 million spread over 14 years. It drops to $17.6 million over 12 years next summer. I think they will buyout Briere this summer and Bryz the following year.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Assuming Luongo is bought out, as well, he'd likely be inexpensive. Since he's already getting paid under the terms of the buyout, he would likely sign a cheaper contract wherever he would land.

04-08-2013, 01:02 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Comca$t could buy out the whole roster and not blink an eye.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:04 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
If this happens we will experience "technical difficulties" on our cable for a year while they recoup costs. Also, repairmen windows will extend to 6am-10pm.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:07 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Yeah idk why people think this team is funded out of sniders pocket.

The team is owned by Comcast spectacor, which is a subsidiary of Comcast, which is a corporation that is worth over 40 billion dollars.

I don't think buying out Ilya bryzgalov is going to put any more than a needlepoint in their sails...

Comcast could buy every team in the nhl, buyout all the rosters, and then resign them all at football player salaries...

Closed Thread