HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

LA Kings to Host Outdoor Game Next Season @ Dodger Stadium *Pending Approval, APR 18*

Old
04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Anyway, more media on the game:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/04/08...-outdoor-game/

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...2094955.column

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi

Last edited by Offdapost*: 04-08-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Edmonton and Los Angeles

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:59 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

vCash: 500
So... this isn't the Winter Classic, just an ordinary outdoor game? I hope not. Even less meaning to the Winter Classic than ever before.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
So... this isn't the Winter Classic, just an ordinary outdoor game? I hope not. Even less meaning to the Winter Classic than ever before.
The NHL is hosting multiple outdoor games now. There will be the Winter Classic, but then two smaller heritage classics following it. One will be in LA and another in NYC. I'd get used to there being more than one from now on. They will likely keep the same format though, as in spread across the continent, i.e. a major Winter Classic game, and then east and west coast games, and perhaps more, so it can draw in larger crowds and give more an opportunity to go, rather than just have the same east teams take part in a single game every year.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
I think this thread is getting a bit crazy. I party in downtown LA all the time it's not that bad. All I am hoping for is a good amount of security and LAPD all around. If the NHLs goal is to expand the hockey influence then they need to ensure a safe environment. So new fans/families/kids have a great experience while having the pleasure finding hockey, and being a new fan of the sport.

Last edited by Ducksgo*: 04-08-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Dodger Stadium looks like a giant police station now with all the police presence. So if anyone who doesn't feel safe, it's people who have violent criminal history.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
I'm not an expert on this, but I feel like it has to be cold to play hockey outdoors... But hey, I'm no science major...
How many days have you spent in Los Angeles in January?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Offdapost*
Tetrodotoxin!

vCash: 383
Let's cool it with the gang talk shall we

Offdapost* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Ronk

You can tell people haven't been to LA in January and/or been to Dodger Stadium and are running their thoughts off of the Stow incident.

Around gametime (4:30ish) in January at Dodger Stadium the average is anywhere from 65 to 55 degrees. I'm pretty sure this is in line with the usual temperature in any arena in the NHL.

As a King/Dodger/49er fan I can say that LA has its share of idiots, but no more than the ones I see in SD, ANA or SF. I think Candlestick is still the scariest place I've ever watched a game and I was rooting for the home team. The owner of the Dodgers was a cheap ass at the time so he didn't shell out the cash for normal security levels. That is no longer the case. Besides, an event like this would draw all eyes onto the venue. Safety shouldn't be a concern.

Ronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Reclamation Project
#1 Dustin Brown Fan

vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kducks View Post
Yes, people actually might be a little wary. You have grown men who have no problem screaming in the face of a woman solely because she has a Ducks jersey on, it has happened to me multiple times at Stapler.

A female coworker of mine is a Avs fans and was actually punched by a male Kings fan when she was attending a game with her friends.

At least one person on our board has had a knife pulled on them after a game at Stapler on the way to the parking lot by a Kings fan.

Don't try to pretend this stuff only happens at Dodger games.
This is a pretty ignorant post. Perhaps you haven't been to a sporting event? Alcohol + 20,000 people + two fan bases = chaos. Don't paint LA fans into a corner.

Some of these posts are amusing. This game should have horrendous ice (because everyone says so) and should be total anarchy. I also find it amusing that the majority of people commenting don't even live in the US! Visit LA, take in a Dodgers game, and then comment. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. All sporting events have crazies and I've been to plenty of games at numerous venues and they all had oddballs. Take care of yourself, don't act like a jackass, and be aware of your surroundings. That applies everywhere.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
start of the transition for all games to be played outdoors?

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kducks View Post
Yes, people actually might be a little wary. You have grown men who have no problem screaming in the face of a woman solely because she has a Ducks jersey on, it has happened to me multiple times at Stapler.

A female coworker of mine is a Avs fans and was actually punched by a male Kings fan when she was attending a game with her friends.

At least one person on our board has had a knife pulled on them after a game at Stapler on the way to the parking lot by a Kings fan.

Don't try to pretend this stuff only happens at Dodger games.
At the same time, don't pretend that this stuff doesn't happen everywhere in the United States and across the globe. It is beyond obvious that there is going to be a large security/police force at the event. Let's not get carried away by calling the event a bad idea because of one major, senseless, incident not involving anything being discussed in this thread took place, which has caused security to be through the roof since and related incidents to decline, which all arenas share including Honda Center.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:18 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
This is a pretty ignorant post. Perhaps you haven't been to a sporting event? Alcohol + 20,000 people + two fan bases = chaos. Don't paint LA fans into a corner.

Some of these posts are amusing. This game should have horrendous ice (because everyone says so) and should be total anarchy. I also find it amusing that the majority of people commenting don't even live in the US! Visit LA, take in a Dodgers game, and then comment. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. All sporting events have crazies and I've been to plenty of games at numerous venues and they all had oddballs. Take care of yourself, don't act like a jackass, and be aware of your surroundings. That applies everywhere.
I'm ignorant but you are the one asking if I've ever been to a sporting event when I clearly stated I have been in my post? I was merely responding to the post asking if people actually were worried about security issues.

I used to go to Rams/Raiders games all the time and was never treated the way I have been treated at Staples Center. Oh and I have been to Dodger Stadium in my Angels gear and have never had any problems.

Yes, I know stuff happens everywhere. I was responding to the posting scoffing that it would never happen with the Kings cause it has. If walking down the hallway is acting like a jackass, how do I get to my seat? I go and cheer for my team.

kducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The horror stories are enthralling and all (not really), but let's talk about the game and not crazy fans. We're a hockey forum, not a sociology forum.

04-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Kopistar

LOL

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 14h
Two part tweet... @dewyy8 on 2014 #lakings vs #NHLducks game at Dodger Stadium - 'Sounds fun, but I'm not sure how that would work...'

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 14h
(Second part...) #lakings Rob Scuderi chirps @dewyy8 from across the room - 'They'll put an ice rink on the field Dewey'

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:59 PM
The Planets Aligned

Nice to see the NHL throw a bone to the West Coast.

I agree that the set up will be poor for fan viewing, but it will be good publicity. There are millions of people on the West Coast who have never even heard of the Winter Classic.

The ice will be ok. Hey, even in Las Vegas in August '91, 85 degrees at night, outdoors, the ice was ok after a minor hick-up.

They had a tarp covering the ice during the day to keep the sun off, but just before the game, when they took it down, they let it lay on the ice too long. It was so hot, it melted the top of the ice sheet and they had to scramble to fix it. Even so, that was a fantastic day for hockey fans in attendance. Hockey outdoors at Caesar's Palace under the stars. I've always imagined that the NHL would try to recreate that in Las Vegas, but in the winter.

The Planets Aligned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Which means it isn't used for anything else? That's uh... not quite the way it works.
You can't seriously be trying to argue that all arenas are just as busy as every other arena.

Staples Center Events Week of April 8-14
Today - Rihanna concert
Tuesday - Lakers vs. New Orleans Hornets
Wednesday - Clippers vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
Thursday - Kings vs. Colorado Avalanche
Friday - Lakers vs. Golden State Warriors
Saturday - Kings vs. Anaheim Ducks
Sunday - Lakers vs. San Antonio Spurs

Honda Center Events for Week of April 8-14
Today - Ducks vs. Edmonton Oilers
Tuesday - Rihanna concert
Wednesday - Ducks vs. Colorado Avalanche
Friday - Romeo Santos concert

There are no non-Ducks events at the Honda Center for the remainder of the month.

On the other side of the country...
Madison Square Garden Events for Week of April 8-14
Today - Fleetwood Mac concert
Tuesday - Knicks vs. Washington Wizards
Wednesday - Rangers vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
Thursday - Alicia Keys concert
Friday - Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival
Saturday - Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival
Sunday - Knicks vs. Indiana Pacers

Compared to...
Consol Energy Center Events for Week of April 15-21 (Pens fan so I may as well pick on my team's arena...skipping to next week since the Frozen Four is there this week)
Wednesday - Penguins vs. Montreal Canadiens
Friday - Barry Manilow concert
Saturday - Penguins vs. Buffalo Sabres
Sunday - Harlem Globetrotters

Consol picks up at the end of the month as far as activity is concerned (more concerts and Arena Football season), but during the season that's a pretty typical week.

A rink that's uncovered 5 days a week is inevitably going to be better than a rink that's uncovered 2 days a week.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronk View Post

As a King/Dodger/49er fan I can say that LA has its share of idiots, but...
I cannot comprehend this statement.

To be a fan of this "group" of 3 teams is simply not possible.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

It's entirely possible. Now if he said Giants along with the Dodgers then it would be impossible. I'm not a huge football fan, but I was pulling for the 49ners, merely because they're from Cali, I can't stand the Chargers, and LA doesn't have a football team.

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronk View Post

As a King/Dodger/49er fan
Quote:

Those are my teams as well.
Ronk- you rule!

Suck it Butch!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:

I wouldn't say the Dodgers are my #1 team but likely a close second after my Expos......err Nationals. But otherwise that describes me too. Granted, I am not from California, so I have no specific civic loyalties.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote