HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derick Brassard

Old
04-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Staal is out. He is a top piece.
We have depth at defense, thats the difference.

What was our record when Richards and Gaborik were a no show? How many goals were being scored? Alot?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:07 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
We have depth at defense, thats the difference.

What was our record when Richards and Gaborik were a no show?
We now have more depth on offense. And next season, they will have even more, assuming Clowe is brought back and Miller, Fasth, Lindberg, Kreider, Yogan and Thomas all stay healthy and take a step forward in their development.

I think, ideally they would have liked to make the Nash trade at the end of THIS season. But when a player like Nash becomes available, you make the move and do what you need to after that. The Rangers really didn't have any young players who were really ready or pushing this season. Miller was rushed. Kreider needs more time but that is not depth, relying on a rookie to carry some offensive load.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
We now have more depth on offense. And next season, they will have even more, assuming Clowe is brought back and Miller, Fasth, Lindberg, Kreider, Yogan and Thomas all stay healthy and take a step forward in their development.

I think, ideally they would have liked to make the Nash trade at the end of THIS season. But when a player like Nash becomes available, you make the move and do what you need to after that. The Rangers really didn't have any young players who were really ready or pushing this season. Miller was rushed. Kreider needs more time but that is not depth, relying on a rookie to carry some offensive load.
In this day and age you have to have some cheap young players, rookies on your roster or at least down on the farm. For whatever the reasons are, we still cannot afford one injury to the top 6 without it causing problems down the lineup. Maybe Kreider picks up his game. Maybe Fast's injury heals and he could come up. But these guys are unknown right now for the playoffs. Like you said, rookies.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Staal is out. He is a top piece.
and for the most part the defense has looked lost for long periods since he went down.

04-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Do you really think that all of Fasth, Lindberg, Yogan, and Thomas are going to be full-time NHL contributors.

And if you're not sure, like Im not, can you really call that depth? Thats a slippery slope that gets exposed far too often around here.

Remember when Chris Kreider was going to be a top 6 wingers for this team?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:45 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Do you really think that all of Fasth, Lindberg, Yogan, and Thomas are going to be full-time NHL contributors.

And if you're not sure, like Im not, can you really call that depth? Thats a slippery slope that gets exposed far too often around here.

Remember when Chris Kreider was going to be a top 6 wingers for this team?
No, I can not. But saying they all could see some NHL time next year isn't a stretch. That is depth. They have multiple options to pull from in terms of call-ups. Hrivik is another one. Haley. Mashinter.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:47 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
and for the most part the defense has looked lost for long periods since he went down.
I know we were all expecting this team to battle for #1 in the East, but being #7 doesn't scream lost really. Of course they miss him. He is a top-pairing, 25 minute a night d-man. My point is, no team has the depth to cover for major holes like this.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I know we were all expecting this team to battle for #1 in the East, but being #7 doesn't scream lost really. Of course they miss him. He is a top-pairing, 25 minute a night d-man. My point is, no team has the depth to cover for major holes like this.
What did Ottawa do when their two top all stars went down?

Old
04-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Sting is pretty much spot on. (Sorry cant quote, on phone) People will be disappointed in Brassard because he's been pretty close to a draft bust/disappointment. Why should one expect his career to turn around on the offensively inept New York Rangers? This screams Zherdev/LIsn/Frolov.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Ottawa has lost 4 in a row. They will still make the playoffs this season. If this was a full season would they make the playoffs with all of their injuries? James Mirtle had a tweet last week about the Leafs. They had the same amount of points after the same amount of games last season and they ended up missing the playoffs. The Leafs have been OK recently. Would TO make the playoffs in a full season? Both Ontario teams have come back to the pack.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I think he's played quite well so far. Looks confident with the puck and has been generating offense. I understand the concern over his inconsistencies and lapses in defensive coverage, but those are the things that make him a depth player. If he can score 50+ points for us, that's just fine with me. He appears to be fitting in quite well.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think he's played quite well so far. Looks confident with the puck and has been generating offense. I understand the concern over his inconsistencies and lapses in defensive coverage, but those are the things that make him a depth player. If he can score 50+ points for us, that's just fine with me. He appears to be fitting in quite well.
I'm fine with him during the regular season, its during crunch time in the playoffs. Will he be up to task, and will Torts lose faith in him after his first mistake?

Old
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

I haven't had the time to read some of the posts in this thread so sorry if this has been said a lot, what role was Brass playing in Columbus? 1C, 2C, 3C..?

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I'm fine with him during the regular season, its during crunch time in the playoffs. Will he be up to task, and will Torts lose faith in him after his first mistake?
We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. He's never played a minute of playoff hockey at this level, so there isn't much to base an opinion on.

If he can ride the momentum he has right now into the playoffs, I think he'll be alright.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. He's never played a minute of playoff hockey at this level, so there isn't much to base an opinion on.

If he can ride the momentum he has right now into the playoffs, I think he'll be alright.
There's a clue right there. He's never played a playoff game. It's gonna be interesting.

Sustaining this 'momentum' is almost everything for this team. At the deadline I said they needed to go 8-4 the rest of the way to get 6th place, I'm very confident they're gonna do just that.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
There's a clue right there.
About what? 50% of the players who have never played in the playoffs before do well. 50% do not do well. Meaning it's completely unknown as to how well he will do.

The good thing is he is not a rookie coming out of the NCAA like Stepan was. So he should at least not be physically exhausted like him (in his rookie season) come playoff time. I don't expect him to be brutal like a rookie in the playoffs. I don't know what to expect, but he'll probably be about average.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:59 AM
SnowblindNYR

Amazing how many people aren't even willing to give the guy a chance. All they do is give reasons why he'll fail. Like you guys are rooting against him.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Sting is pretty much spot on. (Sorry cant quote, on phone) People will be disappointed in Brassard because he's been pretty close to a draft bust/disappointment. Why should one expect his career to turn around on the offensively inept New York Rangers? This screams Zherdev/LIsn/Frolov.
Well, Zherdev refused to take a hit. Brassard doesn't mind going into the middle of the ice and dealing with the physicality.

Lisin just ****ing sucked. Brassard is laughably better than he could ever dream of being.

Frolov just straight up busted here. His career was on a downward spiral after his few good seasons. He's an odd case, but he wasn't even good in Russia his first season over there.

All Brassard has to do is be an average player to be worthy of a roster spot. If he can contribute a bit offensively, he's worth the spot.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Amazing how many people aren't even willing to give the guy a chance. All they do is give reasons why he'll fail. Like you guys are rooting against him.
That's exactly what it looks like to me. People pushing their agendas just to root against him. Even with my most hated players I at least give them a chance to fail before I label them an actual bust.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
About what? 50% of the players who have never played in the playoffs before do well. 50% do not do well. Meaning it's completely unknown as to how well he will do.

The good thing is he is not a rookie coming out of the NCAA like Stepan was. So he should at least not be physically exhausted like him (in his rookie season) come playoff time. I don't expect him to be brutal like a rookie in the playoffs. I don't know what to expect, but he'll probably be about average.
He's never played in the playoffs. No experience. That means something to me. You are the one jumping to conclusions that I didn't make. Just saying, he's a playoff rookie.

You don't know what to expect, yet you say he'll probably be average. What does that mean jon ? That you are just playing it safe? Way to go out on that limb

Old
04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
There's a clue right there. He's never played a playoff game. It's gonna be interesting.

Sustaining this 'momentum' is almost everything for this team. At the deadline I said they needed to go 8-4 the rest of the way to get 6th place, I'm very confident they're gonna do just that.
I think they'll do very well the rest of the way. A lot of road games, but also a very easy schedule. A bunch of games against cellar dwelling teams. Panthers, Sabres, Hurricanes, Flyers. The games with the Devils and the Islanders could be rough.

The Rangers should be the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference. The East is weak.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
He's never played in the playoffs. No experience. That means something to me. You are the one jumping to conclusions that I didn't make. Just saying, he's a playoff rookie.

You don't know what to expect, yet you say he'll probably be average. What does that mean jon ? That you are just playing it safe? Way to go out on that limb
Why would I go out on a limb when there is nothing to indicate that he'd be a bad playoff performer? He stepped up in the QMJHL and had a solid AHL playoffs when he was down there. If anything, his track record would suggest that he won't be a total waste in the playoffs.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I think they'll do very well the rest of the way. A lot of road games, but also a very easy schedule. A bunch of games against cellar dwelling teams. Panthers, Sabres, Hurricanes, Flyers. The games with the Devils and the Islanders could be rough.

The Rangers should be the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference. The East is weak.
I am all ready to cede points to the Devils. That team lucks into SOs and OT like it's their job. It's inevitable that we will have a 3-point game against them.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's exactly what it looks like to me. People pushing their agendas just to root against him. Even with my most hated players I at least give them a chance to fail before I label them an actual bust.
I'll ask yet again for you to respond to post #50 in this thread.

Give him a chance? He's 25 years old. Rushed or not, he's been in the league for 6 years.

My "agenda" isn't against Brassard, it is against the Rangers' philosophy of team building.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

One loss to each of the Leafs, Devs, Isles. The rest we'll win, IMO.

The East is weak. And we have the best goalie in the conference going into the playoffs