HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 11:52 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
They aren't going to get a playoff spot with a disinterested goalie racking up .850 starts. Might as well put someone different in there who actually cares, and that the team hasn't lost confidence in.

It would be seriously difficult to be worse than Bryzgalov without being a full-on career AHLer, and so far Mason hasn't sunk that low. If anything, he'll at least be equivalent to Bryz. His stats so far this year have been better, too. And he managed to play behind the same team as Bryz without allowing goals at the rate of a shootout.
Are you talking about worse from the inside the team or worse in the NHL? Because if it's the NHL, then I can point to Kiprusoff...

But I feel we should give Mason a chance, but the thought of playing Mason for the rest of the season when the season can come down to the wire (without seeing a full game from him), is not a good idea.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Are you talking about worse from the inside the team or worse in the NHL? Because if it's the NHL, then I can point to Kiprusoff...

But I feel we should give Mason a chance, but the thought of playing Mason for the rest of the season when the season can come down to the wire (without seeing a full game from him), is not a good idea.
What part of Bryzgalov's play the last two years makes him a better idea?

Mason is a better idea solely because he's a different idea. It's abundantly clear Bryz won't get the job done.

I don't even think Mason is a good goalie, but Bryzgalov is terrible.

04-08-2013, 11:56 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
What about Bryzgalov's play the last two years makes him a better idea?
Do you really believe he was THAT bad last year? And like I said, give Mason a start or two and then make the decision on whether to ride Mason over Bryz. Never know, Mason could give up 5 goals on 20 shots tomorrow. Not saying Bryz would do better, but tomorrow really is the starting ground for Mason and gives us something to think about.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Didn't realize that Mason was your answer for the rest of the season.
Bryzgalov has a .890 save percentage since feb. 1. .856 in April. Could it hurt if Mason got the majority of the starts? in my opinion no.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Do you really believe he was THAT bad last year? And like I said, give Mason a start or two and then make the decision on whether to ride Mason over Bryz. Never know, Mason could give up 5 goals on 20 shots tomorrow. Not saying Bryz would do better, but tomorrow really is the starting ground for Mason and gives us something to think about.
Yeah. He WAS that bad last year. He had one good month, otherwise his stats are .890 again. He was really bad, or inconsistent at best, for the majority of last year. He's continued that into this season, except this time he only has 2 weeks of solid play instead of a month.

Bryz shouldn't start any time soon solely because of his downright disgraceful efforts in the last two starts. He DUCKED a puck in one game, and just let Little score on him without making the slightest move to stop it, or even challenging him. His effort on the other goals wasn't great, either.

If Mason is willing to at least try, (something our "starter" apparently doesn't want to do), then he should start.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
bryzgalov has a .890 lsave percentage since feb. 1. .856 in April. Could it hurt if Mason got the majority of the starts? in my opinion no.
It could be worse. Mason could be our Kipper for this year. Like I said, let's see him play a game or two before we decide.

I keep thinking that people link "trying" with butterfly saves in the NHL now. Bryz is a hybrid... But yes, I know the 4th goal was a "not giving a ****" goal.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
It could be worse. Mason could be our Kipper for this year. Like I said, let's see him play a game or two before we decide.
At this point it should be about sending a clear message to Bryz. There needs to be a consequence for not trying.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:06 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
5 points out of a playoff spot with 10 games to go, and you want to trust all 10 of those games that hasn't played a full game in a Flyers uniform and has been one of the worst goalies in the past 2 or 3 years?

Honestly, I want Mason to do well, but to put it on his shoulders that he will be instantly better than Bryz will ever be is really stretching it.
who cares if he has never played a full game in a flyers jersey before? what does that have to do with him doing his job? Bryz has been one of the worst goalies the past 2 years so what difference does it make. Mason knows he has to turn his career around and what a better time to start than now. Hell he was talking to his defenseman more in those 20 minutes than I have seen Bryz talk to them in 2 years

Bryz blows #FreeMason

Old
04-08-2013, 12:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
who cares if he has never played a full game in a flyers jersey before? what does that have to do with him doing his job? Bryz has been one of the worst goalies the past 2 years so what difference does it make. Mason knows he has to turn his career around and what a better time to start than now. Hell he was talking to his defenseman more in those 20 minutes than I have seen Bryz talk to them in 2 years

Bryz blows #FreeMason
Bryz blows a Twitter hashtag? How would one go about doing that?

Old
04-08-2013, 12:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
At this point it should be about sending a clear message to Bryz. There needs to be a consequence for not trying.
There's no consequences with veteran players under Lavi otherwise Briere wouldn't have been getting 16 minutes a night while Couturier makes a turnover and doesn't see the ice for the next 10 minutes. No accountability with some players. It's one of those dumb things Lavi does that pisses me off to no end.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

I keep thinking that people link "trying" with butterfly saves in the NHL now. Bryz is a hybrid... But yes, I know the 4th goal was a "not giving a ****" goal.
Sure he could be worse. I'm not saying Mason is the answer. But at this point when you have gotten the type of goaltending they have got since feb. 1 Start him tomorrow. if he does well win or lose then go from there. you invested money in the guy for next season might as well see what you have.

Quote:
Exactly. Bryzgalov has given below average goaltending since Feb. 1 and hasn't had to deal with the consequences. They kept sending him out there because everyone knew the other option was much, much worse.
Is Mason the answer? who knows. but at least it gives the Flyers some options.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:38 PM
WeekendAtBernies

I'm not usually one to make something out of small occurrences on the bench, but you simply CANNOT be yawning and closing your eyes on the bench while in the midst of a very important game against another team fighting you for a playoff spot. It can't happen. I can appreciate that MAYBE Bryz was tired. If that's the case, you grab some of those smelling salts and wake yourself the hell up, or you go back to the locker-room for a second and grab yourself an energy drink, a power bar, something.

You can't be yawning, closing your eyes, napping, and generally looking totally disinterested in the game and your fellow goaltender/teammate after the pathetic effort you just gave on the ice. It's inexcusable. It doesn't matter how tired he is.

You think people in the real world don't get tired? I sit through hundreds of boring presentations for my job. Sometimes I even have to give part of a presentation and the other sections totally bore me. I suck it up. You won't ever see me yawning in or snoozing in front of a client. EVER. You do something like that, you can kiss your bonus goodbye, assuming you still even have a job. It's downright unprofessional.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:45 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I'm not usually one to make something out of small occurrences on the bench, but you simply CANNOT be yawning and closing your eyes on the bench while in the midst of a very important game against another team fighting you for a playoff spot. It can't happen. I can appreciate that MAYBE Bryz was tired. If that's the case, you grab some of those smelling salts and wake yourself the hell up, or you go back to the locker-room for a second and grab yourself an energy drink, a power bar, something.

You can't be yawning, closing your eyes, napping, and generally looking totally disinterested in the game and your fellow goaltender/teammate after the pathetic effort you just gave on the ice. It's inexcusable. It doesn't matter how tired he is.

You think people in the real world don't get tired? I sit through hundreds of boring presentations for my job. Sometimes I even have to give part of a presentation and the other sections totally bore me. I suck it up. You won't ever see me yawning in or snoozing in front of a client. EVER. You do something like that, you can kiss your bonus goodbye, assuming you still even have a job. It's downright unprofessional.
At least he's not doing this:

or this

04-08-2013, 12:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Who's the goalie in the second picture? Reminds me of last year when cameras caught Griffey Jr. passed out in the dugout.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
At least he's not doing this:

or this

what is Luongo watching?

that 2nd one cant be real LOL

Old
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I've been wondering about that Luongo pic. Do we know what he's doing there? I've assumed he's watching Gamecenter replaysafter he was pulled, or just of the game in general. A lot of teams keep iPads on the bench for that purpose. I haven't seen the background info for that pic, other than a Bissonette joke.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I've been wondering about that Luongo pic. Do we know what he's doing there? I've assumed he's watching Gamecenter replaysafter he was pulled, or just of the game in general. A lot of teams keep iPads on the bench for that purpose. I haven't seen the background info for that pic, other than a Bissonette joke.
Yeah you see teams using them during the shootouts now. The second one is inexcusable but Luongo could have been watching highlights there or maybe not depending what way you look at it.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

He certainly doesn't look pleased about whatever he's seeing

Old
04-08-2013, 01:02 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

Who's the goalie in the second picture? Reminds me of last year when cameras caught Griffey Jr. passed out in the dugout.
Andrew Raycroft lol

Old
04-08-2013, 01:03 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
He certainly doesn't look pleased about whatever he's seeing
I like to think he was tweeting, or catching up on Arrested Development before the new season.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Flyerfan4life

i heard he was watching housewives of Vancouver..

Old
04-08-2013, 01:08 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I can't even imagine the outrage if Bryz had an iPad on the bench, even if he was watching game related film.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I can't even imagine the outrage if Bryz had an iPad on the bench, even if he was watching game related film.
If he's watching game related film I'd be ok with it. It's a tool.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:11 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
You know there would be people who wouldn't believe it though, or would be quick to react before hearing anything is what I mean.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:18 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
HE's a tool.*

I fixed it for you.

Closed Thread