HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still Pretty weak at Center

Old
08-05-2006, 06:52 AM
m1k_3

vCash: 500
Still Pretty weak at Center

I think the Hawks have close to 35 million committed for next season. Assuming Ruutu Plays the wing the following will most likely be playing center next season.

Handzus
Smolinski
Sharp
Arkhipov

Tallon said Handzus Ruutu Handzus and Havlat would make a good line. That leaves the Hawks with 1 first line and 3 third/fourth lines.

m1k_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 06:55 AM
bruins_hockey*

go out and pick up, a jason allison, or a shawn mceachern, sure there not as good as they use to be, but they can still help a team out, since we have a cap know, we cančt have a team like the new york yankees

bruins_hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 07:13 AM
m1k_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins_hockey View Post
go out and pick up, a jason allison, or a shawn mceachern, sure there not as good as they use to be, but they can still help a team out, since we have a cap know, we cančt have a team like the new york yankees
I don't think Allison or Mceachern will help. Allison skates like he has a piano on his back and mceachern couln't help the Bruins last year.

Hopefully Bolland can make the team but he probably will not be an impact player at this time. The Hawks are need of goal scorers.

m1k_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k_3 View Post
Assuming Ruutu Plays the wing the following will most likely be playing center next season.

Handzus
Smolinski
Sharp
Arkhipov
I expect Nordquist to make the team. They didn't bring him over to put in Norfolk or the press box.

I'm not reading too much into it at this stage, but Tallon mentioned Smolinski playing the wing, and he is now listed there on the depth chart at the official site..

Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 08:34 AM
crashthenet

I would think Smolinski has to play center although he can ceratinly play the wing. With almost 800,000 in cap relief from this trade, maybe something else is in the works?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post
I would think Smolinski has to play center although he can ceratinly play the wing.
I also thought that he'd be certain to play center, but he's now listed as the #2 LW.

Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 09:44 AM
hawksfan50

Well--its true the Hawks don't have an elite #1 points getting centre this season--BUT Havlat creates his own opportunities and doesn't need a "great" offensive centre to help him put up points--nevertheless HANDZUS willprosperwith the extra minutes and featured #1 line time amd PP time..so in any event the Hawks ARE IMPROVED drastically vs. last season on the #1 line ...Handzus though not a 1AAA
or 1AA or even a 1A type centre--should be a decent 1B centre or a 2A centre playing on line #1--which is far better than anyone else the Haws had playing there
last season...

I had projected Nordqvist as the #2 centre before the Havlat-Smoke deal and the Arkhipov acquisition--so,if he is shoved back to the 4th line centre now (Handzus#1C,Arkhipov#2C,Sharp #3C,Nordqvist #4C and SMOKE plays wing on line #2 or #3
as is insurance in case one of the other centres gets hurt)--then I don't think you can say the Hawks are still weak at centre---both "quality" and "quantity" at that position is VASTLY improved over what the had last season...

Ruutu Handzus Havlat
Smoke Arkhipov Salmmelainen
Bourque Sharp Vrbata
Holmqvist Nordqvist Lapointe

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Ace2008

NICE post

Hawks pulled a major sleeper trade in getting handzus...anyone remember the Slovak Pack for ST.Louis... He wasn't the catalyst for its offensive success but he still fit in beautifully. As good as Calder was on the ABC (Arnasson-Bell-Calder or BBC Bourque/Bell) line he isn't worth a Handzus. Cap considerations for other teams have handcuffed the hands of Philly's Trade partners and so Handzus is a Hawk.
As for other Centers Arkhipov is a decent 3rd line C who can play spot duty filling in on 2nd line. Smolinski,Sharp and Havlat can also play Center although Tuomo is best left on wing where is pwr forward sniping instincts are most effective.

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Well--its true the Hawks don't have an elite #1 points getting centre this season--BUT Havlat creates his own opportunities and doesn't need a "great" offensive centre to help him put up points--nevertheless HANDZUS willprosperwith the extra minutes and featured #1 line time amd PP time..so in any event the Hawks ARE IMPROVED drastically vs. last season on the #1 line ...Handzus though not a 1AAA
or 1AA or even a 1A type centre--should be a decent 1B centre or a 2A centre playing on line #1--which is far better than anyone else the Haws had playing there
last season...

I had projected Nordqvist as the #2 centre before the Havlat-Smoke deal and the Arkhipov acquisition--so,if he is shoved back to the 4th line centre now (Handzus#1C,Arkhipov#2C,Sharp #3C,Nordqvist #4C and SMOKE plays wing on line #2 or #3
as is insurance in case one of the other centres gets hurt)--then I don't think you can say the Hawks are still weak at centre---both "quality" and "quantity" at that position is VASTLY improved over what the had last season...

Ruutu Handzus Havlat
Bourque Sharp Vrbata
Can't see Vrbata on the 3rd line, moreso when Smolinski is on the second or even Salmelainen or Arkhipov or Handzus...

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 10:10 AM
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
last season...

Ruutu Handzus Havlat
Bourque Sharp Vrbata
I am also thinking that Smolinski's top 6 days are behind him and would be better suited as a 3rd line shut down guy rather than a go to guy playing top minutes.

I don't mind Arkhipov up there, as he may have the potential to stick top 6 (for now). Not sure what to do with Salmmelainen as he still has to prove his North American worth, but also don't see Vrbata down on the third line. Should be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the end. All I know is I will be there opening night vs the Blue jackets and hope to see a much improved version of the Hawks!

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
I expect Nordquist to make the team. They didn't bring him over to put in Norfolk or the press box.

I'm not reading too much into it at this stage, but Tallon mentioned Smolinski playing the wing, and he is now listed there on the depth chart at the official site..
Nordquist will be battling for a roster spot, its not like they brought over Malkin. He may need Norfolk time to adjust to the North American game, we will have to see how well he competes against NHLers in camp.

And Tallon said Smolinski can (not will) play wing, its all contingent on who wins spots in camp. Based on the current roster, Smoke is the second line center.

Last edited by Behn Wilson: 08-13-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 02:24 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
NICE post

Cap considerations for other teams have handcuffed the hands of Philly's Trade partners and so Handzus is a Hawk.
Calder makes more than Handzeus, so how are the Flyers handcuffed if they just added salary?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 03:58 PM
FlaBlackhawk

I think the Hawks would benefit from placing Ruutu at the #2 center position. Ruutu plays a physical game and playing center may limit some of the rough hits he tended to receive when he played wing. Assuming they don't sign either Handzus or Smolinski (both will be UFA next year) then it would be easier to fill one hole at center instead of two. Toews and Bolland can fight for the 2nd line center position and have Ruutu move up to the 1st line center position to play with Havlat.

Havlat / Handzus / Vrbata
Smolinski / Ruutu / Salmalenian
Bourque / Sharp / Lapointe
Holmqvist / Arkipov or Nordqvist / Bochenski

FlaBlackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBlackhawk View Post
Havlat / Handzus / Vrbata
Smolinski / Ruutu / Salmalenian
Bourque / Sharp / Lapointe
Holmqvist / Arkipov or Nordqvist / Bochenski
Ick!

So whose the top choice in this years draft. This lineup will be in the hunt for it.

We dont have one player who scored 20 goals last year. Even with injuries to Hvlat and Ruutu, that is pretty sad. And right wing looks BRUTAL!

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Wally112pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
Ick!

We dont have one player who scored 20 goals last year.
That was last year.

Wally112pac is offline   Reply With Quote