HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

Rumour Mill: Direction of the Edmonton Oilers

Old
03-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

vCash: 500
Rumour Mill: Direction of the Edmonton Oilers

EDMONTON -- Having been sitting in the hot seat for just over 24 hours as the new Edmonton Oilers General Manager, Michael MacIsaac is keeping his team tight-lipped about the direction in which he hopes to point the team.

Sources tell us that he may be leaning less in the direction of a total rebuild than we believe he indicated in his interview for the job. One person close to the team suggested that an offer has already been made to one of the team's pending free agents. Neither MacIsaac nor Swingstein & Sons would confirm if it was one of Stastny, Oshie, Hemsky, Malone, or Seabrook.

One thing of which we are certain is that we expect MacIsaac to be in the hunt for a young goaltender once he figures out a plan to work (or not work) the team's free agents under next year's salary cap.

Vikes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

The Edmonton Oilers are proud to announce the re-signing of TJ Oshie to a new 4 year contract.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Jacques Strap of the Edmonton Journal caught up with the new Oilers GM today as he hustled out of a sketchy-looking club... at noon.

Strap: What does the signing of Oshie mean for his trade value?

Look, we're not in a huge rush to change the entire structure of the team. Re-signing Oshie made sense for us: he's still young, he's having a good season, and I think his best years are ahead of him. That being said, so do many other teams. We'll listen to anyone who calls, but I don't see a huge need to start pulling the trigger. We're still in the play-off picture, we've got 2 first round picks coming up, and scoring isn't a problem for us. If we can re-sign the bulk of our pending FAs to deals here in Edmonton, we'll be in okay shape.

Strap: So where are your problems?

I wouldn't say we have any glaring problems, but everyone in Edmonton knows we've had some trouble in our own end. I'd like to see us add another high-quality or, at the very least, solid 4th or 5th defenceman, and it's no secret that I'm looking to find a goalie for the future. I'd also like to bolster our 3rd forward line. In the perfect world, we trim some payroll, but I'm not too worried about that right now.

Strap: Any comments about the goalie deal that fell through?

Nothing "fell through:" we just couldn't come to an agreement. We'll go back to the drawing table with that team if we have to because they were open and professional the entire way.

Strap: So do you have a "trade block?"

Well, we'd be willing to move one of our first round picks if we need to. Any of our pending FAs are obviously going to be a bit easier to move. I'd say I'm protective of our top prospects, but we have some depth there, and we have some guys that are going to turn into solid NHL'ers some day that could be included in a deal. Like I said, though, if we end the season without any big moves and wait for free agency, I'm not panicking. We'll pull the trigger when the timing is right.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:15 PM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Nice. Jeff left you with a hole at the forward positions - good to get one of your core players under a deal...

MatthewFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Confirmed Players on the Block

Paul Stastny -- I'd basically be looking for some kind of swap that also sees an NHL-ready forward coming my way.

Ryan Malone -- Cap reasons, more or less. Was having another good season as well before he went down, but I've got to find someone to move pending all my re-signings.

Tuomo Ruutu -- Late addition.

Eric Fehr -- Late addition.

Not to say that others aren't on the block, but these are just a couple of names you might be interested in.

Confirmed Looking to Add

1st or 2nd line forward -- Moving Stastny or Malone would create a gap here.

3rd line forward -- Scoring is really not a problem for the team, but we're a bit weak in terms of depth as the lines go down. I'd like to add another piece here.

Defenceman -- Top 4 would be nice, but I'd also be interested in just finding a better 5-6 defenceman than I have now, to round things out.

Prospects -- Always, just in general.

Last edited by Vikes88: 03-28-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

With talk around Edmonton coffee shops buzzing about a rumoured blockbuster deal that was submitted to head office late last night, Michael MacIsaac confirmed from the back of a police car while facing unknown public indecency charges that Eric Fehr and Tuomo Ruuto have been added to his trade block.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

On Daniel Cleary: We'd love to move Cleary to a contender. Price wouldn't be that high, it's simply a financial decision, but yes, he's on the trading block.

On the Marc-Andre Fleury trade: We recognize it was a big splash for our first move, but it made sense for us to secure that position for the next 10 years. We were always willing to move one of our first round picks for a superstar, and we gave up two good prospects, but we got a mid-range draft pick and a wild card in Shmelev in return, along with one of the best goalies in the game. Khabibulin was a treat to have in Edmonton, but with 4 goalies on the pro roster, but something had to give. We wish him the best in Winnipeg, and look forward to building our defensive core around Marc-Andre Fleury.

On other plans before the trade deadline: We've basically been negotiating on at least half our roster. Not a lot of moves, but that's fine: we're getting to know the lay of the land. I think the city is starting to see that we'd have to go on one hell of a hot streak to make the play-offs this year, so we most likely won't be making another move that lives up to the headlines of the Fleury deal. Always looking to bolster our defensive side of things, we wouldn't mind moving a bigger contract out to make some room moving forward, but the next week will tell.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

The Edmonton Oilers have agreed in principle to send Cody McCormick to the Carolina Hurricanes for a 6th round draft pick, said GM Michael MacIsaac outside of a KFC today.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Michael MacIsaac hosted a press conference this morning outside of his favourite Robins' Donuts chain to speak about the moves made by the Oilers organization before the HFNHL trade deadline.

Reporter: Is it safe to say that the mission of a total re-build is over?

I think it's safe to say that we want to be competitive sooner rather than later. We didn't feel the market was there for a productive total rebuild. Many teams were interested in beginning to plan for the future, and we felt, especially after the Fleury trade, that we were in a position to contend for a play-off spot sooner than we had intended. We took stock of our current roster and some of our future building blocks, and came to the decision that we could both make some active moves with some big building blocks to get better today, without sacrificing our team tomorrow.

Reporter: So are you saying the play-offs are a goal this year?

Every team wants to make the play-offs every year. There are a lot of things to keep in mind. There are lots of games left to play. We're 6 points out. The West is as competitive as it has been in a long time. We've been pretty lucky so far with inuries. I think adding an all-star goalie, an all-star defenceman, and a future all-star centre shores us up perfectly heading into the end of this season and into the next. Having a team on paper is only one thing -- we've got to execute -- but I believe we've got the pieces to execute sooner rather than later.

Reporter: You've already talked about the Fleury trade; talk about the Edler trade.

*grabbing his beer* Those negotiations have been going off and on for the past number of weeks, and I would say they really picked up over the past 3 or 4 days. That deal nearly fell apart at the seams umpteen times, but I think we've established a great relationship with the Lightning organization. Fans may be worried that we've given up some great prospects and both our 1st round picks, and I feel that. However, as we said, we had to make a decision as an organization whether we sat on that, or whether we used some of those assets to get better. We chose the latter -- we still believe we have some fantastic young players in our organization who will be Oilers for years to come -- but we also now have a starting netminder, defenceman, and center who could be with this team for the next 10 years. We believe we've done well this deadline season, and that fans should be excited about Oilers games from here on out.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

I think of all the teams making dramatic changes leading up to the deadline, your Oilers have taken the largest step forward in terms of relative competitiveness. I like that your moves were for long-term assets as well. It's going to get very interesting in the next few weeks...

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
I think of all the teams making dramatic changes leading up to the deadline, your Oilers have taken the largest step forward in terms of relative competitiveness. I like that your moves were for long-term assets as well. It's going to get very interesting in the next few weeks...
I think you're right that things are going to get interesting. As if the West already wasn't tight enough, here I go trying to wiggle my way into things. I still think we've got a ways to go to even catch and hold the 8 seed, but with so much hockey left to play, it's really anybody's guess.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

The Edmonton Oilers congratulate T.J. Oshie on being named the HFNHL's Second Star of the Week, with 4 goals and 4 assists.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Edmonton Oilers GM Michael MacIsaac will be away from Saturday, April 20, until Sunday, April 28.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes88 View Post
Edmonton Oilers GM Michael MacIsaac will be away from Saturday, April 20, until Sunday, April 28.
Scouting for the next big thing, no doubt.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Regal Beagles

Me thinks it's his recent loss to the Ducks that has sent him on a soul searching mission.

Regal Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:37 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Pass me and my team will destroy you...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Scouting for the next big thing, no doubt.
Lots of good prospects in Mexico!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal Beagles View Post
Me thinks it's his recent loss to the Ducks that has sent him on a soul searching mission.
And no one else is invited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Pass me and my team will destroy you...

Old
04-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Was trying to think of a way to say "pass me and I'll **** you up" but thought that might be taken the wrong way. But seriously, I'm going to be pissed lol

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Was trying to think of a way to say "pass me and I'll **** you up" but thought that might be taken the wrong way. But seriously, I'm going to be pissed lol
That's okay; I'll understand.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

TSN -- Edmonton

GM Michael MacIsaac returned Sunday from what team officials are only calling a "vacation."

An anonymous team source named Frank from 41st Street who drives a Dodge Stratus told TSN today that upon viewing the team record, MacIsaac had the Assistant GM executed by firing squad. Apparently, he had expected the team to have not lost a game.

Last edited by Vikes88: 04-28-2013 at 07:11 PM.