HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik vs. Nash

Old
04-07-2013, 11:31 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Nash certainly. Even in gabs best season any of his goals were executed in a short time frame. He wold streak up the wing fire a snapshot that you'd expect to be saved, but the shot was so deceptive it would go in. The rest of the game he'd be performing similar plays but other than that his offense never was really a form of defensemen. Nash may not score as much but points wise I believe Ceteris parabus, they would average about the same. The difference is when Nash isn't scoring he is still making it an absolute nightmare for the d and increasing zone time via his puck possession and strength. That is a form of defense since it prevents chances being generated by the opposition. Gaborik just doesn't have that impact on a game

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Gaborik relies on speed and his shot. This year both seem to be a little off...especially his shot.

Nash relies on his hands and his frame.

You can lose your shot and your speed a lot easier than your hands and your frame. Nash has a big advantage in that he will likely "age better" than Gabby.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:53 AM
zuckera1

Nash, it's not even close.

The Gaborik defenders keeping bringing up his stellar 2009-2010 campaign with the Rangers...but watch this video of ALL of his 42 goals and ask yourself: how many of these were easy finishes based off the play of his linemates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ENzAiPZ3rhc

Gaborik needs others to play well for him to produce, that isn't the case with Nash. Nash this season has been better than Gaborik was that season, no question about it.

Some of you guys put wayy too much emphasis on stats. Gaborik has been surrounded by more talent than Nash has his entire career. He's injury-prone, streaky, invisible on most nights, and lacks that "killer-instinct" we need during the playoffs.

Nash > Gaborik every day of the week, he's also had a better, more consistent career than Gaborik and is much more exciting to watch. You guys defending Gaborik need to wake up

zuckera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:28 AM
chosen

I find it funny when some of you say Nash is better all around player but Gaborik has been a better scorer.

The question remains at their best, who do you want on your team? To me it's a no-brainer.

You should always want the best all around player on your team, without exception. And it's not like Nash isn't an excellent goal scorer.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I find it funny when some of you say Nash is better all around player but Gaborik has been a better scorer.

The question remains at their best, who do you want on your team? To me it's a no-brainer.

You should always want the best all around player on your team, without exception. And it's not like Nash isn't an excellent goal scorer.
Yep. Push comes to shove and I have to choose between the two I take Nash 10/10 times.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:25 AM
JeremyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
Wrong side of 30? Someone like Iginla or Sullivan is on the wrong side of 30. Having just turned 32 years old is not being on the wrong side of 30. That's called early 30s. Some players put up their best seasons in their early to mid 30s. The problem with Marian is groin/shoulder problems which made him lose some of his speed and shot. He is still deadly with the puck.
The term "wrong side of 30" makes the assumption that being younger than 30 is preferable to being older than 30. Your agrument that late 30s is "the wrong side of 30" and 32 isn't doesn't make sense because both are on the same side of 30. That being said, you could argue that 35 or whatever age you choose is a better age to indicate that a player is past their prime.

JeremyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Nash > Gabby
-on a breakaway, on the half boards, in the low slot, the high slot, the point, the corner, the defensive zone, the PP, the PK, coming into the zone w/o the puck 2v1, coming into the zone w/ the puck 2v1, defending against a 2v1. Puck on his stick, supporting, or finding open ice.

Gabby > Nash
-extra attacker(maybe?), back-checking

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Crease

With the style of play that the current coaching staff wants the team to employ, I'd rather have Nash. But Gaborik isn't chopped liver either.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:10 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Anyone left who still believes that Gaborik is a better hockey player than Nash?

There is no discussion here. Nash is a far superior player. To think I didnt wanna part with Anisimov for him haha! This guy is dominant Gaborik at his best never Dominated.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Lundsanity30

You would think Gaborik would get more respect around here for his two 40+ goal seasons, carrying the offense his entire time here and playing through a torn shoulder I'm the playoffs. .

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
You would think Gaborik would get more respect around here for his two 40+ goal seasons, carrying the offense his entire time here and playing through a torn shoulder I'm the playoffs. .
Just because people think Nash is a better player doesn't mean they don't respect or appreciate Gaborik for what he did here...

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I have nothing but respect and appreciation for Gaborik. Still, I think Nash is a better all-around player. And I said that before this season, when Gabs was coming off a great year. It's nothing against Marian, just a reflection of how highly I regard Nasher.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:49 AM
tjs252

I'd rather have Gaborik because, if this is Nash "at his best" we're fighting for an 8 seed. Gaborik can at least have the #1 seed on his resume.

Also, I think Gaborik is/was the kind of top-6 scoring winger you can build an offense around.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
I'd rather have Gaborik because, if this is Nash "at his best" we're fighting for an 8 seed. Gaborik can at least have the #1 seed on his resume.

Also, I think Gaborik is/was the kind of top-6 scoring winger you can build an offense around.
I can't tell if you're being serious.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:11 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
I can't tell if you're being serious.
I think he is being serious. Ever since I saw Nash in international competition I thought he was special.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
The answer would depend on what "better" means.
Goal scoring? Gaborik wins by a landslide. He was the 3rd best goal scorer in the league last season, was he "better" than Nash then?

Nash brings more to the table than just goal scoring, he is a more complete player.

Gaborik is a sniper, Nash is a power forward. 2 different skillsets, I'd definitely take both on the team.
True. But people were telling CBJ fans that They would rather have Gaborik than Nash. Some called Nash a "59 point player." won't mention any names.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
True. But people were telling CBJ fans that They would rather have Gaborik than Nash. Some called Nash a "59 point player." won't mention any names.
I dont think I've seen said person post in a while, which benefits us all.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
The answer would depend on what "better" means.
Better should obviously mean the one that contributes more to winning hockey games.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post

Gaborik has also missed the playoffs. But let's pretend that a player's TEAM accomplishments are only on that one player. It's more fun that way.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

vCash: 400
Something makes me feel like NYR fans are the type of fans that might boo Gaborik upon his return to the Garden.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Something makes me feel like NYR fans are the type of fans that might boo Gaborik upon his return to the garden.
Jagr was booed, so I don't see why not.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Jagr was booed, so I don't see why not.
Jagr went to Philly though. I could see a lot of the guys getting cheers the first time we play Columbus next season and then from there on out they're enemies!

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:16 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Jagr went to Philly though. I could see a lot of the guys getting cheers the first time we play Columbus next season and then from there on out they're enemies!
New Columbus/NYR rivalry incoming. Honestly though, anyone on a team that can be abbreviated to BJs should be booed.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Our fanbase does not, in general carry much of a sense of honor.

A lot of them are overly aggressive and loudmouthed, and so they loved a player in Avery who reminded them of themselves.

I don't expect a warm welcome. Its very rare. We had one for Eddie, for Leetch, for Graves, but I don't think Gaborik will qualify if Jagr didn't. You have to really be a savior. Of this team, probably only Lundqvist would be greeted kindly.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Our fanbase does not, in general carry much of a sense of honor.

A lot of them are overly aggressive and loudmouthed, and so they loved a player in Avery who reminded them of themselves.

I don't expect a warm welcome. Its very rare. We had one for Eddie, for Leetch, for Graves, but I don't think Gaborik will qualify if Jagr didn't. You have to really be a savior. Of this team, probably only Lundqvist would be greeted kindly.
Callahan would get some love, no?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote