HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jesse the placeholder...but for whom?

Old
04-08-2013, 03:41 AM
LeapOnOver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I think his point (and I could be wrong and just reading his comment and inserting my own personal opinion) is that 1st impressions seem to go a LONG way on this board. A newbie comes along and makes a few nice plays and doesn't make any mistakes and everyone is on his athletic supporter and advocating 1st line and 1st pairing minutes. A rookie comes up and makes a few bad plays and the board fills up with people saying that the kid can't play and has no business being in the NHL and needs to be sent down for at least a YEAR.

I get that this is an internet message board but the immediate reactions of a few selected plays (in the moment) are so drastic that at times some posters can be very sensitive to new player evaluations based upon one game, or 6 games or 12 games (positive or negative). And honestly I probably fall into that category. I watch a lot of these kids (most of them) for years before they see the Coliseum Ice and sometimes everything they accomplish in those YEARS, goes right out the window in 8 shifts if they are on the ice for top many goals for their first season, or make a couple of bad passes or costly turnovers. Or conversely elevated to 1st line status due to a couple good shifts when the stick is on auto-fire and shoots pucks like its an automatic weapon from anywhere on the ice whether they are quality shots or not.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the instant analysis is often drastic and goes too far one way or the other in almost every case.
Yeah, you are talking about a board where people voted Anders Lee as the first star of a game where he was out there for 1 goal for and 2 goals against. Some people eve claimed that had to do it on principle, lmao. Uh, you had to NOT DO IT on principle. IT wasn't that great of a game. With that said he looked better defensively against Tampa. JJ looked decent. I think he was not as strong on the puck as people claim he was. Yes he was throwing his body around, but he was also getting knocked around a lot like Okposo does. I'll wait and see with him adn I'm not going to jump to quick conclusions, but this is HF and like I said a -1 Anders Lee as first start was a really telling example of the mindset of the MAJORITY of people on this board unless you want to claim the majority don't vote on that poll.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:45 AM
bstash19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Yeah, you are talking about a board where people voted Anders Lee as the first star of a game where he was out there for 1 goal for and 2 goals against. .
you forgot to mention it was the man he was covering who scored both those goals.

bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:20 AM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I think his point (and I could be wrong and just reading his comment and inserting my own personal opinion) is that 1st impressions seem to go a LONG way on this board. A newbie comes along and makes a few nice plays and doesn't make any mistakes and everyone is on his athletic supporter and advocating 1st line and 1st pairing minutes. A rookie comes up and makes a few bad plays and the board fills up with people saying that the kid can't play and has no business being in the NHL and needs to be sent down for at least a YEAR.

I get that this is an internet message board but the immediate reactions of a few selected plays (in the moment) are so drastic that at times some posters can be very sensitive to new player evaluations based upon one game, or 6 games or 12 games (positive or negative). And honestly I probably fall into that category. I watch a lot of these kids (most of them) for years before they see the Coliseum Ice and sometimes everything they accomplish in those YEARS, goes right out the window in 8 shifts if they are on the ice for top many goals for their first season, or make a couple of bad passes or costly turnovers. Or conversely elevated to 1st line status due to a couple good shifts when the stick is on auto-fire and shoots pucks like its an automatic weapon from anywhere on the ice whether they are quality shots or not.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the instant analysis is often drastic and goes too far one way or the other in almost every case.
...and my point was the effort to throw a bucket of water on those who were excited to see how much better he looked since the last time he played here is not necessary. No one had his Jersey bring retired, just dreaming about the potential he could possibly fulfill if Saturdays game turns out to be the norm as opposed to an aberration.

...and the bucket of water crowd are just as prevalent with their act as the pie in the sky prospect crowd...so lets keep that in mind as well.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
goal1228

JJ played very well against the Lightning. It looks like he has worked on his game a lot since his last stint with the Isles. I was skeptical about resigning him but he deserves to play in the bottom six if he can continue to play like this.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
doublechili

Re: JJ ( and Lee), the Isles have been a small team that's been easy to play against since about 1995 (I can't really think of any exceptions in that time period). I just want some bigger bodies that can play. I realize there are more on the horizon and this hopefully won't be an issue soon, but I'm impatient right now. I'm willing to forgive some of the negatives of inexperience and factor in the positives that the mere presence of a big body has on the ice.

doublechili is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:27 AM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Re: JJ ( and Lee), the Isles have been a small team that's been easy to play against since about 1995 (I can't really think of any exceptions in that time period). I just want some bigger bodies that can play. I realize there are more on the horizon and this hopefully won't be an issue soon, but I'm impatient right now. I'm willing to forgive some of the negatives of inexperience and factor in the positives that the mere presence of a big body has on the ice.

I agree they are too small. Ander's Lee looks like he will need time to adjust to the NHL game. I was impressed with JJ though, he looked really good ( i know its only 1 game though).

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

JJ looked like a giant out there.Visually by far the largest Islander.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:12 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
BTW - who is this Trots guy? I hear him brought up time to time. If he was a fan who got fed up it is hard to hold that against anyone considering all the years of abuse we took as fans, though I would hang through thick or thin because Ballard, Wirtz, and Pocklington all taught me that even the most inept or despicable owners are subject to recall one way or another.
Trottier was one of a small handful of posters who (in this reader's opinion) served as a voice of reason on these boards for many years. Even when I didn't agree with his POV I found his posts well thought out and provocative - unlike so many others on here who knee-jerk overreact or are singularly focused on what they feel is the obvious problem of the day.

He and Seph (who still posts from time to time) were my favorite posters here when I first joined way back when.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:28 AM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
JJ looked like a giant out there.Visually by far the largest Islander.
Totally! He looked big and played big. I would love to see him on the top line, and I don't think it's premature. He's exactly the type of player needed to play with MM-JT.

I was very impressed with JJ. The flashes he showed early on as an Islander are far more polished and simplified. He wasn't trying to be the scorer he wanted to be, he used his size to create space and drove the net hard.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:36 AM
bluechipbonzo

On Wang- supportive to the extent that he kept the team from leaving, then kept the team in NY. I probably would have finally relented and cheered for the Sens if the Isles ended up in Seattle or something. Quebec would have been a tough one. I get that Wang has been "budgeting" in recent years (the last several RFA contracts keep me away from using the term "cheap" here) and that he could be spending more...but at the end of the day, it's a business. And he's lost untold millions over the last decade. There are plenty of losing franchises that sell out their games (up here anyway) so my mind-set is just a little different than some. Been a fan since the first cup and suffered most of my teen years (and adulthood now) so there's a certain loyalty and pride here. They're still in Long Island, and now that things are getting better, Snow's plan is easier to see for some.

JJ- I think now that he has grown up a little and is surrounded by three other lines, he's going to flourish. Before it was just Okposo and Jesse in the system, a promising Comeau (but we know how that went) and a young Frans. Now there are real NHLers waiting in the Bridge, and the NHL team is littered with talented youth. Somehow, it's just fitting that Jesse is getting another life here at an NHL career with the Islanders...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
bluechipbonzo

NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders 33m
#Isles prac. lines: Moulson-Tavares-Boyes, Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo, Grabner-Aucoin-McDonald, Joensuu-Cizikas-Martin, Lee-Reasoner-Boulton

Looks like the right move was made. That line is going to get some serious zone time against Philly.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:28 AM
KyleBailey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
#Isles prac. lines: Moulson-Tavares-Boyes, Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo, Grabner-Aucoin-McDonald, Joensuu-Cizikas-Martin, Lee-Reasoner-Boulton

Looks like the right move was made. That line is going to get some serious zone time against Philly.

Looks Good!

Would it be crazy to suggest that McDonald switch with Joensuu to bring the original 4th line together? I know it wouldn't matter either way, just trying to speculate at the chemistry of the lines.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:34 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
For his first game back, Yesse looked impressive. From the reports I read, he's been playing like this for the past two years in Europe, it's crazy how much he has grown as a player, but it goes to show that some guys need more time to bring their skills together, specifically powerforwards.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:54 AM
chris3488

On the second TB goal the defence broke down, who's fault do u think it was?

chris3488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3488 View Post
On the second TB goal the defence broke down, who's fault do u think it was?
Joensuu's?

I don't think anyone was expecting him to shutdown opposing forwards in his first game back.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Hyphistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Exactly, while the rest of the lines look from good to ok (still don't like the Grabner-Aucoin pairing) this first line continues to be a terrible set-up. Honestly before keeping that line I would be willing to "sacrifice" and splitting up one of the working lines for an exchange.

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphistos View Post
Exactly, while the rest of the lines look from good to ok (still don't like the Grabner-Aucoin pairing) this first line continues to be a terrible set-up. Honestly before keeping that line I would be willing to "sacrifice" and splitting up one of the working lines for an exchange.
one of our top 2 prospects will hopefully step into boyes spot next year... either that or *gasp* we go one better and sign a veteran 1st liner that another team also offers a contract to.

for now, i'm one of the weird ones that would send martin up to that line.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
chris3488

I ment the 1st goal who's fault was that on that goal?

chris3488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:12 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
Looks Good!

Would it be crazy to suggest that McDonald switch with Joensuu to bring the original 4th line together? I know it wouldn't matter either way, just trying to speculate at the chemistry of the lines.
Not crazy at all...I think they are interchangeable, really...Joensuu may prove to be even more effective at laying the body and producing offence than C-Mac if last game was any indication. JJ is certainly faster and larger...

Tough to complain about anything JJ did last game- I thought he was fantastic for his first outing (especially for a big man AND in the middle of a playoff race). He certainly didn't look overmatched like Lee.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
I don't see anyone putting him in the hall of fame for Christ sakes...just excited about his play last night and the potential of him keeping it up...WTF is wrong with that?
There is nothing wrong with that.. If you read my post that is what I said. Its one game and lets not rush anything yet cause if he played like Marty Reasoner then you would all go on and on how awful he is.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
one of our top 2 prospects will hopefully step into boyes spot next year... either that or *gasp* we go one better and sign a veteran 1st liner that another team also offers a contract to.

for now, i'm one of the weird ones that would send martin up to that line.
If Joensuu continues to play physical and hit hard and often and has his offensive skills show like last game, Martin doesn't belong on line 1. That's Joensuu, EVEN IF Strome makes it next year.

I'd rather Strome go pivot line 2 with Grabner and whoever.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:25 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
There is nothing wrong with that.. If you read my post that is what I said. Its one game and lets not rush anything yet cause if he played like Marty Reasoner then you would all go on and on how awful he is.
The problem with your thinking is that you actually believe someone could be as horrible as Marty Reasoner.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
The problem with your thinking is that you actually believe someone could be as horrible as Marty Reasoner.
We are the Islanders.. Every season there is a new Marty Reasoner. Before Reasoner there was Jon Sim, Before Jon Sim there was Brad Isbister and so on and so on.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:58 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If Joensuu continues to play physical and hit hard and often and has his offensive skills show like last game, Martin doesn't belong on line 1. That's Joensuu, EVEN IF Strome makes it next year.

I'd rather Strome go pivot line 2 with Grabner and whoever.
Agreed.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote