HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

CHL Import Draft

Old
04-08-2013, 01:14 PM
BenchedGuy

vCash: 500
Anyone know or can confirm that Dennis Yan was not eligible for the priority draft because he is going to be in the Import Draft? (dual citizenship - Russia / US )

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Spitsfan67*

Spits need this import draft to pay of huge, this IMO will make o break them going into next season....If they can get a player of a Loktionov or khokhlachev's caliber it would really help them going into next season.

I can see them either taking 2 forwards or getting a highly touted goalie(if there is any?) as Pavelka is more then likely done in a Windsor Spitfires Uniform.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:53 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Anyone know or can confirm that Dennis Yan was not eligible for the priority draft because he is going to be in the Import Draft? (dual citizenship - Russia / US )
If he is a 97 he would have to wait a year I believe.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:54 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Spits need this import draft to pay of huge, this IMO will make o break them going into next season....If they can get a player of a Loktionov or khokhlachev's caliber it would really help them going into next season.

I can see them either taking 2 forwards or getting a highly touted goalie(if there is any?) as Pavelka is more then likely done in a Windsor Spitfires Uniform.
Im hoping Windsor or London dont pick up Nickushkin or whatever (sp)

Last edited by defensehockey19: 04-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Im hoping Windsor or London dont pixk ip Nickushkin or whatever (sp)
London has two key imports returning - they won't pick this year.

What could get tricky IF there are new rules. If your import is a first round NHL pick you are allowed to grab a third one for a period. Now if that first rounder is returned then you have to move one. But under the proposed (new?) rule, you can't move the drafted player for a year - so how would that work? London, in this case, would have to trade one of Maata/Zadorov or cut their 2013 import pick?

Pete's pick before Spits this year - Will the Pete's use the pick? If you can't trade it of course like in the past - it's use it or lose it.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:25 PM
BigBuck

Is this supposed new rule just for the OHL or is it CHL wide? In the Q there were a bunch of 2013 and 2014 Euro 1st round picks traded this year.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Petes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Is this supposed new rule just for the OHL or is it CHL wide? In the Q there were a bunch of 2013 and 2014 Euro 1st round picks traded this year.
It's supposed to be for all leagues, the article by Sunaya said Branch, Courteau (QMJHL) and Robinson (WHL) met at the Top Prospects game, which was January 16th, a week after all 3 leagues trade deadlines.

Petes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
OHLEYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
London has two key imports returning - they won't pick this year.

What could get tricky IF there are new rules. If your import is a first round NHL pick you are allowed to grab a third one for a period. Now if that first rounder is returned then you have to move one. But under the proposed (new?) rule, you can't move the drafted player for a year - so how would that work? London, in this case, would have to trade one of Maata/Zadorov or cut their 2013 import pick?

Pete's pick before Spits this year - Will the Pete's use the pick? If you can't trade it of course like in the past - it's use it or lose it.

You can trade it can't you?

OHLEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Torts

Two things. I agree there should be a trade window if the above scenario about the knights happen you wouldn't want teams to have to cut vital players. I get it they want good players to go to the smaller markets but forcing a team to potentially cut a player they have developed over a 2 year span is ridiculous.

Its also funny having Steve Spott commenting on this saying the agents run the draft and almost in my opinion trying to spin it that they arn't one of the big market teams that lure the coveted imports (which again in my opinion, they are)

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:41 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
Two things. I agree there should be a trade window if the above scenario about the knights happen you wouldn't want teams to have to cut vital players. I get it they want good players to go to the smaller markets but forcing a team to potentially cut a player they have developed over a 2 year span is ridiculous.

Its also funny having Steve Spott commenting on this saying the agents run the draft and almost in my opinion trying to spin it that they arn't one of the big market teams that lure the coveted imports (which again in my opinion, they are)
That is somewhat what happened to Kitchener last year but it seemed we didnt try to get a big name Euro instead opting for Juraj Bezuch on a flyer in the 2nd round if we lost Rieder or Faksa. Once we knew they both were going to be here for a bit we traded Bezuch to Windsor. So we took advantage of the 3rd holding spot.

With Spott it seems like most of what he says is posturing. We definitely have been good at getting imports to come to Kitchener in the past years. I look at it in the sense of the NCAA card that gets talked about. Players seem to be more willing to go to certain teams/programs.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chl-imp...194409144.html

"Under the new rules, teams will be prevented from trading import draft picks and there will be a year-long moratorium on the trading of imports once they have been selected. All 60 CHL clubs will still be allowed to carry a maximum of two imports. These changes are expected to be announced in the coming weeks. "
I wonder how much critical thinking went into this rule. Maybe they should have just done something that prevented teams from buying players rather then giving teams like Quebec a player like Grigorenko 50th overall, because he tells every other team he won't report. Also if you already have 2 imports on your roster, what's to stop you from just picking the best available player who would report to some teams but not yours and by picking him you prevent a division rival from getting that player.

Anyways... This import draft is going to be real interesting, if that rule is actually in place, seems like it's still not 100% confirmed from any CHL sources

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Ottomatic

^You can't make a pick if you have two imports already under your control.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
You can if one is a 1st rounder.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
So you could potentially have a top 6 pick in the import draft and be unable to pick someone or trade it?

The Import Draft has always been illogical but the CHL has really stepped up their game this year. I'd love to see all the teams at the top pick the best players available, have none of them report, and seriously decrease the quality of imports league-wide and show the CHL that it needs a serious overhaul of the recent import setups. Fans wouldn't be happy at all but most don't understand that if nobody will report to your town/city then the team really doesn't have many choices in the "draft" regardless of where they pick.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:01 PM
ohlfanos

hope someone can help me out....I thought the new rule this year was no trading of Import picks....the kitchener/sudbury trade at the deadline included swapping Import picks...how was this possible??

ohlfanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:22 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlfanos View Post
hope someone can help me out....I thought the new rule this year was no trading of Import picks....the kitchener/sudbury trade at the deadline included swapping Import picks...how was this possible??
Check the Q Transactions and you will see 2013 and 2014 1st round Euro picks being traded.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:30 AM
BoxerMax

There was talks of a new rule, however no rule is in place yet, or all the trades involving an import pick would have been rejected.

As for comments of small market teams picking big names that won't report, well good, that leaves more spots for North American kids.

BoxerMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post

As for comments of small market teams picking big names that won't report, well good, that leaves more spots for North American kids.
Agree with this comment. Leave the space for the locals. Let the Europeans develop in their own leagues. Don't see European Junior leagues taking imports - meaning, the scouts come to North America to watch minor midget or bantam and draft kids to their leagues...where they pay to have them go over and provide them room and board, etc.

Hockeyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:18 AM
gillyguzzler

So many teams nickel and dime their home grown domestic players but spend extravagant money on imports. The cost to get a release for Europeans is mind boggling. Then, the "stipend" paid to these imports is more than some Canadian workers make. In Gatineau, their newest import apparently clears $2000 per pay, 40 times more than the average home grown Canadian junior player. And he's not in the same class as a Grigorenko or Kucherov. I can just imagine the bucks they clear. Can Cape Breton or Owen Sound or Prince George afford to double or triple their pay structure because of one import?

gillyguzzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
defensehockey19

@MarkEdwardsHP: Lots of chatter from numerous folks in Russia last week about Vasilevski coming to Canada next year. I'd love to see it happen #TBLightning

The Steelheads currently own his rights.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
@MarkEdwardsHP: Lots of chatter from numerous folks in Russia last week about Vasilevski coming to Canada next year. I'd love to see it happen #TBLightning

The Steelheads currently own his rights.
do they still own it or did they release his rights?

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:42 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
do they still own it or did they release his rights?
As far as I know they would still have his rights? No?

Old
04-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Ottomatic

Steelheads only rostered one import last year from what I can tell, so I'd assume they kept the kids rights.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:10 PM
big papa

if im not mistaken your aloud to hold the rights to 3 import players as long as one of them is a 1st round NHL draft pick or an NHL draft pick who will be put into protection mode not to sure if thats part of the rule but i believe i read it in the paper

big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:13 PM
big papa

Quote:
Steelheads only rostered one import last year from what I can tell, so I'd assume they kept the kids rights.
If he were to come then the Steelheads would be dangerous in net with Martin and Vasilevski in net

big papa is offline   Reply With Quote