HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks next season (MOD: 2013-14 NHL roster)

View Poll Results: What happens to Dan Boyle this offseason?
Bought out! 0 0%
Sharks can't unload him due to cap shrinkage. 4 30.77%
Sharks find a partner, but oops, he's on the NTC list. 1 7.69%
Sharks unload him for an "Error" of a return. 2 15.38%
Sharks unload him to move up in the 3rd round in this year's draft. 1 7.69%
Sharks pull off what professional observers call the "deal of the decade" by this time next season! 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 07:07 AM
germanshark1311

vCash: 500
Sharks next season (MOD: 2013-14 NHL roster)

hey guys,

what do you think about the sharks roster to the next season? Is Nieto or Hertl NHL ready for the next season? Whatīs with Hamiltion for a bottom 6 spot and what is the talent of tarasov? Can you tell me more about Burish, will he in the team next year or would be a buyout better with 1,8 mio and a lower salary cap?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / T.J. Galiardi ($1.150m)
Martin Havlat ($5.000m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.775m)
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Freddie Hamilton ($0.870m)
James Sheppard ($0.870m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.750m) / Adam Burish ($1.850m)
Matt Nieto ($0.759m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.667m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.250m) / Brad Stuart ($3.600m)
Justin Braun ($1.250m) / Matt Tennyson ($1.175m)
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) / Jason Demers ($1.400m)
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Alex Stalock ($0.722m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,422,708; BONUSES: $535,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $412,292

Old
04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Pinkfloyd

It's doubtful that any of the forwards are ready to step up from Worcester or elsewhere straight into the NHL to start next year. Nieto will probably get a chance during the season but they'll probably start him in Worcester for a while. Who knows about anything else with this team? If they can parlay their home stand into something positive in terms of results on the road, they may have a better chance than I anticipated. However, that depends on the coaching staff and it always depends on how they do in the playoffs and what matchups they get.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Fistfullofbeer
#RALLYCAT

vCash: 1100
We are hoping that Nieto and Hertl fit in but realistically I don't see them on our roster full-time till 2014-15.

Main issue with our line-up is that we are missing two top-6 players. Ideally this is what I would like to ice:

Couture-Thornton-??
??-Marleau-Havlat
Galiardi-Pavs-Torres
Desi-Gomez-Sheppard

Having either Nieto or Hertl could theoretically fill one of those holes but we need to hopefully get atleast one top-6 via FA or trade before next season to have a good run.

04-08-2013, 11:14 AM
germanshark1311

I donīt think the sharks will do a trade to add a top 6 player. What FAīs would be fantastic for the sharks? If the Sharks want add a top 6 player, they need to trade burish to have enough cap space....I will watch the Pregame Germany vs. Czech and Hertl will be playing in this game...

Old
04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
TealManV
A man has said

As of right now, I'm hoping that we resign TJ and Sheppard to 2-3 year deals in the offseason for around $1.5 mil each. I've really liked what I've seen out of both lately and think that they fit with the type of team we want to ice moving forward. If Raffi continues to play the way he did yesterday, I'd be all for resigning him for 2 years for Burish money as long as we can get Burish off the books. Gomez and Desi have been better lately but I'm not sure Gomez won't look for more money and more ice time somewhere else. Hamilton might be deserving of a look on the 4th line next season to give him a shot on the big club.

I'm not sure what to do with Demers. I know a majority of people are fans of his on this board but I think his fate is dependent upon what happens with Boyle. I for one am a huge fan of Boyle, but at this point I would like to see him moved at the Draft for a 1st rounder and his cap space used to resign all the players mentioned above and another top 6 forward. I think it would be best for the future of the team to go into camp next season with Burns as the #1 dman. I've loved Burns at forward but we really need him to become the man on the blueline.

As far as goaltending goes, it appears as though Greiss is all but gone and Stalock should have a chance to be the guy behind Nemo for a season.

As far as free agents are concerned, I'd like to see how Viktor Stalberg would look next to Logan and Tommy. He's still young and wouldn't break the bank. And since we have his brother in the organization, he might be more than interested in joining team teal.

Stalberg-Couture-Wingles
Marleau-Thornton-Havlat
Galiardi-Pavs-Sheppard
Desi-Hamilton-Torres

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Irwin
Demers-Braun

Nemo
Stalock

Old
04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
SJeasy

The Sharks don't have cap room for next year. That means that they have to subtract salary for any significant additions. IMO, Boyle is the most logical, but it would likely put a hit on their competitiveness (I don't mean persona, I mean actual play). If they get any FAs, they are going to be bargain basement (<$2mil) unless they make other moves. IMO, Gomez is gone for greener pastures and they will have to keep their lower lineup guys because they are the cheapest to retain although not necessarily the best. I think Nieto is the only prospect that could conceivably be ready right out of camp and I doubt even that.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:24 PM
matt trick

vCash: 50
Top 6: Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Havlat, Wingels, and?
Bottom 7: Torres, Pavelski, Galiardi, Sheppard, Desjardin, Burish, and ?
Defense: Burns, Boyle, Vlasic, Stuart, Demers, Braun, Irwin; plenty of prospects.
Goalies: Niemi, Stalock

Need- One top 6 forward, one bottom 6 forward. If Burns stays at forward, we need one bottom 6 forward. I prefer we acquire someone else, and maintain a top 5 defense.

We are going to enter the season with a major hole on offense, or on defense. Don't plan on both being patched.

FWIW, we won't be the only ones with cap problems.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Defense: Burns, Boyle, Vlasic, Stuart, Demers, Braun, Irwin; plenty of prospects.

Need- One top 6 forward, one bottom 6 forward. If Burns stays at forward, we need one bottom 6 forward. I prefer we acquire someone else, and maintain a top 5 defense.

We are going to enter the season with a major hole on offense, or on defense. Don't plan on both being patched.

Hopefully, with the cap crunch, UFAs will come relatively cheaply.

Very uncomfortable with the current state of the top-6. I'm OK with Wingels as the 6th-best, but not the fifth.

Looking at the defense, it makes sense to trade Boyle. His cap hit is huge, plus, I think the Sharks could get a top young forward in return; Burns-Stuart, Vlasic-Demers, Braun-Irwin is playoff-capable. Moreover, the Sharks are going to have to contend with the loss of Boyle eventually....might as well do it now.

With the cap savings, SJ could go out and sign who they needed. Not necessisarly restricted to forward; Mark Streit would look good in SJ.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:57 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
To the OP: Why would we bring up Nieto to have him as a 4th line player or scratch?

Old
04-08-2013, 01:57 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post

I'd be more comfortable with Burns at forward. He is playing an ideal F1. Not too many of those around. He is not a full #1 dman or even a premier offensive #1. They could get a premier offensive #1 to replace Boyle more easily and cheaply. Guys like Yandle, Streit, Wiz, etc.

I agree that there will be A LOT of teams with cap issues.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Fistfullofbeer
#RALLYCAT

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Hopefully, with the cap crunch, UFAs will come relatively cheaply.

Very uncomfortable with the current state of the top-6. I'm OK with Wingels as the 6th-best, but not the fifth.

Looking at the defense, it makes sense to trade Boyle. His cap hit is huge, plus, I think the Sharks could get a top young forward in return; Burns-Stuart, Vlasic-Demers, Braun-Irwin is playoff-capable. Moreover, the Sharks are going to have to contend with the loss of Boyle eventually....might as well do it now.

With the cap savings, SJ could go out and sign who they needed. Not necessisarly restricted to forward; Mark Streit would look good in SJ.
Like I mentioned earlier, we need two more top-6 players. I don't like Wingels as a permanent top-6 either. He is fine as a plug-in from time to time but not full-time.

Some Forward related issues in 2013-14:

- We need a replacement for Clowe's spot in the top-6. We talked about getting a speedy, shoot first winger .. now we just need to find one. I agree that Stalberg (Viktor) could fit the bill.

- Do we leave Pavs as the 3rd line center or does he see that as a punishment? If he is part of our long term future we need to make sure he is happy. And he moves up back in the top-6 then we need to find a good 3rd line center.

In theory, Nieto also fits the bill for the first spot (Clowe replacement). Also, Hertl could be a good Pavs replacement on the 3rd line if we do need to move Pavs back to the top-6. Hoping one of those two can actually play next year. Would make our life lot easier.

I hate the thought of trading Boyle but I don't really know who else we can give up.

Marleau has a NTC.
Jumbo is too valuable (unless we go full re-build ) and also has a NTC.
Havlat maybe .. but we are already short on top-6 players. He also has a NTC.
We can trade Demers/Braun for a possible top-6 but that doesn't help with the CAP.

Man thinking about next season gives me a headache.

Lets just blow it up .. atleast that way I won't have any expectations for atleast 2-3 years ...

Old
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I'd be more comfortable with Burns at forward. He is playing an ideal F1. Not too many of those around. He is not a full #1 dman or even a premier offensive #1. They could get a premier offensive #1 to replace Boyle more easily and cheaply. Guys like Yandle, Streit, Wiz, etc.

Yandle would be expensive. Streit would be nice, but even then he isn't much younger than Boyle. Stay away from Wiznewski...

Plus, I've always felt that the Sharks should supplement Boyle. They've done this Boyle-Blake, Boyle-Burns thing which I have liked. Two "#1" dmen; that too both Blake and Burns have not exactly been ideal #1s. I'd really want something like Boyle-Weber or Boyle-Keith. With Boyle leaving, I'd at least want Burns to remain on D.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Arrch

Why not just leverage Burns' versatility and look at both options? If a #1 defenseman falls into our lap, keep him up front. If we can get a #1 RW on the cheap, move him back to defense. It's a good problem to have.

Last edited by Arrch: 04-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 02:31 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Konrad Abeltshauser-Sena Acolaste

Any chance either gets a shot with the big club next season? 3rd line minutes?

Old
04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
sr228

Acolatse has a chance if there are some d-men moved or if there are injuries. Their blueline next year should consist of Boyle (unless he's traded), Burns, Vlasic, Stuart, Irwin, Braun, Demers. Next in line is Tennyson.

Abeltshauser needs AHL time.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Any chance either gets a shot with the big club next season? 3rd line minutes?
You mean pairing?

I think we'll see Acolotse getting a shot, along with Tennyson, Petrecki, and maybe Albetshauser if he performs well.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:49 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Acolatse has a chance if there are some d-men moved or if there are injuries. Their blueline next year should consist of Boyle (unless he's traded), Burns, Vlasic, Stuart, Irwin, Braun, Demers. Next in line is Tennyson.

Abeltshauser needs AHL time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
You mean pairing?

I think we'll see Acolotse getting a shot, along with Tennyson, Petrecki, and maybe Albetshauser if he performs well.
yes pairing, thanks.

Did Irwin and Sena ever play together??

Have not watched much of Sena, what player currently in theNHL does his game mimic??

Old
04-08-2013, 02:51 PM

Irwin and Acolatse have occasionally been paired together at even strength. They are more commonly paired on the power play.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
We are hoping that Nieto and Hertl fit in but realistically I don't see them on our roster full-time till 2014-15.

Main issue with our line-up is that we are missing two top-6 players. Ideally this is what I would like to ice:

Couture-Thornton-??
??-Marleau-Havlat
Galiardi-Pavs-Torres
Desi-Gomez-Sheppard

Having either Nieto or Hertl could theoretically fill one of those holes but we need to hopefully get atleast one top-6 via FA or trade before next season to have a good run.
Too bad Hertl or Nieto aren't just one year further in their development. Nieto fits perfectly on that first line, and Hertl perfectly on that second line. Sigh.

Also, I'm beyond confused about what to do with Burns. My head says I want him to go back to defense, but he's just been so damn good up front.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:59 PM
OrrNumber4

Some Halifax fans think Abeltshauser is the next big thing. Others seem to think that he needs a lot of work defensively. But there seems to be a strong consensus that offensively, he is one of the better prospect d-men out there.

From NHL scouts, I've heard some generic good things about him.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

Sena seems pretty NHL ready, but Konrad needs AHL time. He has upside, but he's a serious project.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:08 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post

yay someone who shares my view point..Burns way to valuable on the wing. He changes the whole dynamics playing F1. Agree another dman can be had.. How many teams in the NHL have a true #1 dman???? Not everyone......

Old
04-08-2013, 03:14 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Too bad Hertl or Nieto aren't just one year further in their development. Nieto fits perfectly on that first line, and Hertl perfectly on that second line. Sigh.

Also, I'm beyond confused about what to do with Burns. My head says I want him to go back to defense, but he's just been so damn good up front.
except Hertl been playing with the big boys already, i think he can hang.

any harm starting the year like this?

Neito-JT-Burns
Patty-Juicy-Hertl
TJ-Pavs-Torres
Desi-gomez/xx-Shepp

Old
04-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Acolatse isn't NHL ready. He won't kill you in spot duty, but he's not an every day NHL defenseman yet.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:17 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Sena seems pretty NHL ready, but Konrad needs AHL time. He has upside, but he's a serious project.
like Taylor D

Closed Thread