HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Old
04-08-2013, 11:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
I'm convinced that the Flyers should hire the best sports psychologist in the country....amnesty Bryz and throw money at the shrink. It's the Flyers best chance at rectifying this goalie carousel considering we keep having mental cases in net..Mason is the latest mental reclamation project. Don't have a warm and fuzzy with him at all..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:54 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Homer loves his cheap goalie makeover projects. Hopefully Mason is more like a healthy Emery...instead of a Leighton.
Emery wasn't a headcase, but he did have anger issues (I consider a headcase to start putting doubt in yourself and in turn, sucking). Those seems to have subsided though (for Emery I mean).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:58 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
why? no one is going to pay him big money
I guess it came down to what he and his agent believed he would get this summer, but I would think $1.5M was near the bottom of the range he could have expected (depends on how wide that range is, I guess).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
No guarantee it would come to that. The Flyers might have qualified him, just to keep his rights, should they decide to amnesty Bryz.

He made the smart move. Get out of Columbus. Sign a deal that will keep his millionaire status intact while he gets his game back. If he doesn't, he'll be gone next year.
The bold would be a definite reason why signing now is strange. The Flyers would have had to qualify him at over $3M, so he potentially left half of his money on the table. Obviously Holmgren could have told Mason that he would not be qualified and it was in his best interests to sign now if he wanted to play for the Flyers next year, though...

04-08-2013, 12:23 PM
lowdesertpunk

So he is signed?

Late... Nevermind

lowdesertpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:55 PM
BleedOrange
Future Star

Got to like in Mason's interviews he always says #1 goalie i think if he turns it around and shows hes back Bryz will be bought out or even could be traded for picks.Everyone can rag on me that Bryz won't be traded that no one wants him but it could happen better to trade him for picks then to spend 2/3 of his contract to buy him out. Will be interesting to see how this plays out..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:01 PM
MsWoof

$1.5 million is a good number. Its not insulting and won't make the cap situation much worse.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:17 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
$1.5 million isn't too bad. Gotta think that since it is one year that means that Bryz will be back. I wasn't too thrilled about the trade and remain skeptical (don't care about the pick, care about going after a guy who has looked awful over the last few seasons), but at $1.5 million next year, it isn't really a big deal even if it bombs. Low risk, high reward situation.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:39 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

When you think about it... Mason has only been sub .900 once in a season. Last season. That includes his 2nd and 3rd season where, while he was regressing, he was playing behind some truly awful teams. He had 5 shutouts his second season with a .901 sv%.

He's currently .901% after his glorious 9 save shutout in the 3rd period...

While its not good, it's certainly not AWFUL, and clearly he has the ability to at least be better than Leighton or Boucher.

Maybe a change of scenery to a team like ours will give him a confidence boost, you never know.

I'm curious to see what his flyers gear will look like.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Codith

Masdog needs a chance, Bryz has had many. Frankly I have zero confidence in Bryz, and his play or lack their of has been highly concerning. Guy looks like wet toilet paper. I can't see Mason being much worse then Bryz. Right now Mason wants to prove himself to the team, and I can see him putting in a much better overall effort right now. IF he can come in, steal a few games, then management might have a better idea on how they deal with Bryz during the off season.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:58 PM
kimmofan44

I'm just putting this out there, but if we all agree that our defense is without question bad by even ahl standards, then isn't it plausible to think that Mason will just end up looking like bryz out there? I don't think any goalie would do well with this group of band aid d men in front. I'm not sticking up for bryz and I'm not flaming him either I just think that this d needs major attention before ANY goaltender can be expected to do a good job.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
I'm just putting this out there, but if we all agree that our defense is without question bad by even ahl standards, then isn't it plausible to think that Mason will just end up looking like bryz out there? I don't think any goalie would do well with this group of band aid d men in front. I'm not sticking up for bryz and I'm not flaming him either I just think that this d needs major attention before ANY goaltender can be expected to do a good job.
anybody who expects any goalie to jump in net & magically fix the frequent lack of hustle, turnovers, poor breakouts & numerous times they leave guys wide open, is sadly mistaken

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Codith

Quote:
Odds are he is going to be tested the same way as Bryz, Breakaways, 2on1's, ect. If he can come in and at least show that he is capable of stopping a few of these opportunities Bryz seems to have the absolute worst time at, then maybe it helps differentiate the two a bit.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:07 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
If he doesn't dck away from shots and moves post to post ill be happy. My issue with Bryz is he gives up. He either tanks a game from the start or halfway through. He looks disinterested at times and that's frustrating. If he was giving 110% 60 minutes every night and still gave up goals because the defense was hanging him out to dry that's a different story. But it's visible how much he doesn't care. That's my issue. 51 million or 500,000k I expect who ever is playing for the flyers at any position to give effort.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
I disagree with the bolded.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:18 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
If he doesn't dck away from shots and moves post to post ill be happy. My issue with Bryz is he gives up. He either tanks a game from the start or halfway through. He looks disinterested at times and that's frustrating. If he was giving 110% 60 minutes every night and still gave up goals because the defense was hanging him out to dry that's a different story. But it's visible how much he doesn't care. That's my issue. 51 million or 500,000k I expect who ever is playing for the flyers at any position to give effort.
I can't even count how many times I've seen a back door one timer or a rebound where the puck comes loose on the other side of the net and he just watchs the guy slam home a goal and just kind of stands there and has this "what can I do?" look. You see other goalies diving and throwing their stick out for pucks that they have no chance of stopping just hoping for the .01% chance that they get lucky. Bryz 90% of the time watches it go it and turns to look at someone else like they are supposed to be the last line of defense.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Codith

I wanted to see if I have been the only person to notice this.

Anyone else frustrated at how many times a game Bryz looks behind him while making a save? ****ing guy has to do it like 4-5 times a game. Even the commentators bring it up. That shows a complete lack of confidence.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:33 PM
dats81

Better than paying Leighton to ride the pine or scraping the bottom of the barrel for another over the hill wannabe.

If he get his game back Homer looks like a genius...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
I wanted to see if I have been the only person to notice this.

Anyone else frustrated at how many times a game Bryz looks behind him while making a save? ****ing guy has to do it like 4-5 times a game. Even the commentators bring it up. That shows a complete lack of confidence.
I've made mention of it elsewhere. Got sniped at by a Bryz fan for it.

SeanCWombBroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Cardds

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the reason we got Bryzgalov in the first place, because he carried a crappy Phoenix team to the postseason a couple times? Also I agree with these posters who say he doesn't seem to care anymore. I think the big contract has made him like that or who knows, maybe his tenure in Phoenix was a fluke.

Cardds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
El Dandy
I Against I

I am fine with this trade now that he is making 1.5

El Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:14 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
anybody who expects any goalie to jump in net & magically fix the frequent lack of hustle, turnovers, poor breakouts & numerous times they leave guys wide open, is sadly mistaken

as long as he makes it look like he's trying, doesn't give up on the play, doesnt duck out of the way on shots and has some athletic movement, unlike some other bum. I'm happy. cause with all of the above mentioned he will stop pucks and more than the bum

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
as long as he makes it look like .......
yea, the Flyers looked like CUP CHAMPS vs WINN in that last period.

Mason fixed EVERYTHING !!! CUP = OURS !!

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

I know you can't blame Bryz for anything but him along with the rest of the team played like **** saturday.

Nobody is thinking Mason is going to come in and blow the doors off. It's just that the bar was set so low by Bryz most feel like it can't get any worse so why not give Mason a shot. Also he's an unknown and hungry right now compared to Bryz's horrid and lackadaisical play.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
I disagree with the bolded.
Why?

04-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:

Well. He managed to step in behind the exact same team and not allow 4 goals, so that's an improvement.

Edit: Oh, and good job with your usual strawman there. You created an answer that doesn't address a single thing he posted. You just imagined he said something else and responded to that instead.