HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
HE's a tool.*

I fixed it for you.
You're a real angry fellow!

Old
04-08-2013, 01:25 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
You're a real angry fellow!
It's pretty apparent isn't it?

Either way, we just have to wait till tomorrow to see what happens. Tomorrow is probably the big tipping point of the season on whether we get closer to the playoffs or further away. If they go up 7 points over us (plus the Rags winning as well), we're pretty screwed for a playoff run.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:08 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Bryz blows a Twitter hashtag? How would one go about doing that?
glad you were able to get that out of what I said not to mention the # comes before what is trending #freemason

Old
04-08-2013, 03:19 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

#freeMason
#Bryzsnipedby__________
#BUMzgolav

Old
04-08-2013, 03:27 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

#SummerBryz
#BryzMarkie
#BryzKhalifa
#BryzardOfOz
#ChickenBryzzards
#ButterfingerBryzzard
#JaBryzzRogers
#BryzShowStarringJohnTurturro
#ClarkBryzwald
#DearOldBryz
#BryzAndBryrsTowels
#BryzzyHair

and can we call the goal line the "Mason-Pucks-in Line" when Steve is in net?

Old
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Reduxs

I'm sorry, but why do we want to start Mason every game for the rest of the season? We have one of the worst defenses in the league (partly due to injury), and the kids confidence is absolutely shot from four bad years in Columbus. So we want to play him every game with this defense in front of him in order to "see what he's got?" Brilliant..

Goaltending is a function of team defense. We have no team defense right now, which is why we're 17-18-3 and are 25th overall in goals against per game. You could put Bernard Marcel Parent himself back there right now and he's going to give you similar results to Bryz. Hell when Bernie was traded away the first time he was characterized as "lazy and disinterested."

I'm not a Bryz supporter at all. I didn't like trading for him in the first place, thought he was poor last season, and I'm fully for amnestying him at the end of this season. I'm just against hurting Mason's confidence further.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxs View Post
I'm sorry, but why do we want to start Mason every game for the rest of the season? We have one of the worst defenses in the league (partly due to injury), and the kids confidence is absolutely shot from four bad years in Columbus. So we want to play him every game with this defense in front of him in order to "see what he's got?" Brilliant..

Goaltending is a function of team defense. We have no team defense right now, which is why we're 17-18-3 and are 25th overall in goals against per game. You could put Bernard Marcel Parent himself back there right now and he's going to give you similar results to Bryz. Hell when Bernie was traded away the first time he was characterized as "lazy and disinterested."
No, we're 25th in goals against because Bryz sucks. The team is actually ranked something like 7th in shots against per game; since there seems to be a correlation between scoring chances and shots against, they're one of the better teams at preventing shots, even if they do get trapped in their own end.

Someone here did the math; if Bryz made one big save every 5 games, we would be ranked much higher in GA and could conceivably be hovering near 8th. Thats all it would take. One less goal every 5 games. But he hasn't even been able to do that.

The worst defense I've seen this year, by a long shot, is Edmonton. Dubnyk hasn't had any trouble blowing Bryz's stats out of the water. Neither has Miller, on a Buffalo team that's in bad shape. Markstrom on a decimated, bad Florida team isn't having trouble blowing Bryz's stats away either.

The problem with Bryz, largely, is Bryz. Not the defense. I don't think Mason will do much better, if at all. But at least he'll hopefully look like he's trying.

04-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Reduxs

Shots against per game is a meh stat. I'd much rather see how many quality scoring opportunities we give up per game compared to other teams. All shots are not created equal.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Shots against per game is a meh stat. I'd much rather see how many quality scoring opportunities we give up per game compared to other teams. All shots are not created equal.
I've posted two articles in here in the past where the author digs up as many scoring chance stats as he can get, from organizations and the media, and he found a correlation between scoring chances and shots allowed. So basically, it would be a huge statistical aberration for a team in the top ten for limiting shots to be at the bottom of the league for scoring chances against.

Watching other teams and their goalies, they give up odd man rushes and breakaways. They have bad periods, get stuck in their end, and give up quality shots. The difference? The goaltender actually keeps the team in the game more often than not, instead of inevitably collapsing like Bryz tends to do. It's really quite a difference.

It was far more obvious last year, when our offense was very good. We could watch the opposing goalie make a lot of quality stops on our shots, then in our end Bryz would immediately let something in.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Reduxs

What you're saying is completely subjective. I watch plenty of games where one team gives up breakaways or odd man rushes and the other team ends up scoring. Anyone can cherry pick to support their argument, but I'm interested in numbers. I'm not saying you're right or wrong here, I'd just like to see the ACTUAL numbers.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:52 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

There are no actual numbers, I think, because it is so subjective. It might be a fascinating thing.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
What you're saying is completely subjective. I watch plenty of games where one team gives up breakaways or odd man rushes and the other team ends up scoring. Anyone can cherry pick to support their argument, but I'm interested in numbers. I'm not saying you're right or wrong here, I'd just like to see the ACTUAL numbers.
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/6/26/shot...nd-shot-totals

There you go.

And if you look at the shots against stats category on NHL.com, the team is in some pretty good company with their standing. Yet they're in awful standing in GA...which is very likely related to having a goalie near the bottom in save percentage.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:13 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Its been discussed many times how we are in the top end of the league for shots against and blocked shots.

While the defense isn't anything special, they certainly havent played piss poor like the BUM.

Last edited by hckyplayer8: 04-08-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

You know what'd be funny?

If we locked hckyplayer8 and BP74 in a room, and didn't let them out until they came to a consensus on an opinion about bryz.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post

If we locked hckyplayer8 and BP74 in a room, and didn't let them out until they came to a consensus on an opinion about bryz.
/insert end of universe picture here...

Old
04-08-2013, 11:21 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:

Old
04-09-2013, 01:48 AM
G'aal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've posted two articles in here in the past where the author digs up as many scoring chance stats as he can get, from organizations and the media, and he found a correlation between scoring chances and shots allowed. So basically, it would be a huge statistical aberration for a team in the top ten for limiting shots to be at the bottom of the league for scoring chances against.

Watching other teams and their goalies, they give up odd man rushes and breakaways. They have bad periods, get stuck in their end, and give up quality shots. The difference? The goaltender actually keeps the team in the game more often than not, instead of inevitably collapsing like Bryz tends to do. It's really quite a difference.

It was far more obvious last year, when our offense was very good. We could watch the opposing goalie make a lot of quality stops on our shots, then in our end Bryz would immediately let something in.
Kings fan here. I did some research about a week ago for a piece I wrote for The Hockey Writers about the NHL's top five defenses. I said there, and reiterate here, that I could not avoid subjectivity in terms of what to use in the data analysis. With that said, I ranked every NHL team as of that date in the following statistical categories:
  • Goals allowed
  • Shots allowed
  • Blocked shots
  • Takeaways
  • Faceoffs
  • Hits

I decided equal weighting wouldn't make sense, since goals allowed (no matter what the reason, be it quality shots, bad goaltending, or other variables) is clearly the most important factor. I gave that category the highest weighting (40%), shots allowed the second highest (20%) and everything else equal weighting at 10% apiece.

Lastly, I created a simple formula to calculate a composite score for each NHL team based upon the above parameters. In the end, the higher the number, the worse the team was defensively.

Bottom line: the Flyers were 21st in the league, which is obviously not good. However, they were 3rd in blocked shots, 5th in hits and 9th in shots allowed. By the numbers, their defense is doing at least some of the things it is supposed to do very well. Goals allowed (24th), takeaways (30th) and faceoffs (20th) dragged their ranking down substantially.

Statistics don't show whether or not the Flyers are giving up too many good scoring chances as compared to a higher-ranked team. That said, there's a pretty good statistical case to be made that goaltending is a bigger problem than defense in Philadelphia.

Here's the link, in case you'd like to see the article. If you feel it's inappropriate for me to post this, feel free to delete:

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-top-...ms-in-the-nhl/

I hope you don't feel that I'm trolling, as I don't have a rooting interest for or against Bryz.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:05 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by G'aal View Post
Kings fan here. I did some research about a week ago for a piece I wrote for The Hockey Writers about the NHL's top five defenses. I said there, and reiterate here, that I could not avoid subjectivity in terms of what to use in the data analysis. With that said, I ranked every NHL team as of that date in the following statistical categories:
  • Goals allowed
  • Shots allowed
  • Blocked shots
  • Takeaways
  • Faceoffs
  • Hits

I decided equal weighting wouldn't make sense, since goals allowed (no matter what the reason, be it quality shots, bad goaltending, or other variables) is clearly the most important factor. I gave that category the highest weighting (40%), shots allowed the second highest (20%) and everything else equal weighting at 10% apiece.

Lastly, I created a simple formula to calculate a composite score for each NHL team based upon the above parameters. In the end, the higher the number, the worse the team was defensively.

Bottom line: the Flyers were 21st in the league, which is obviously not good. However, they were 3rd in blocked shots, 5th in hits and 9th in shots allowed. By the numbers, their defense is doing at least some of the things it is supposed to do very well. Goals allowed (24th), takeaways (30th) and faceoffs (20th) dragged their ranking down substantially.

Statistics don't show whether or not the Flyers are giving up too many good scoring chances as compared to a higher-ranked team. That said, there's a pretty good statistical case to be made that goaltending is a bigger problem than defense in Philadelphia.

Here's the link, in case you'd like to see the article. If you feel it's inappropriate for me to post this, feel free to delete:

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-top-...ms-in-the-nhl/

I hope you don't feel that I'm trolling, as I don't have a rooting interest for or against Bryz.
well done. Too bad the takeaways stats is the only one the Bryz supporters will look at

Old
04-09-2013, 07:15 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:

The US Judicial system frowns at cruel and unusual punishment.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

a goalie's view on poor Team D & lack of urgency / effort:

Quote:
“As long as we don’t understand that we have to play better in our zone, we’ll never win any games. We have to do a better job in our own zone. That’s where it starts. We have to learn this at some point.”
Quote:
“The (allowing) the first goal is one part of it (problems), but I think it comes down to us not playing very well defensively. We spend too much time in our own zone, and that’s hard. That’s where it’s hard. We know we can score some goals, we have some offensive tools. But when you spend part of the second period in your zone and give up too many scoring chances, you’re not going to win games like that.

“We talk about it every day. At some point, we have to understand. There’s no more excuses. It’s not about being young, it’s not about … we have to put our head into the game.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...ractice/12915/

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 04-09-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old
04-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Bobrovsky for Vezina

Quote:
With the 2012-13 season winding down, the Rangers and Blue Jackets have something else in common -- they are the homes to the League's two best goaltenders, New York's Henrik Lundqvist and Columbus' Sergei Bobrovsky.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Old
04-09-2013, 08:22 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
They're already declaring him one of the league's best goaltenders? Does Jim Carey ring a bell?

Old
04-09-2013, 09:25 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
They're already declaring him one of the league's best goaltenders? Does Jim Carey ring a bell?
I'm sure the author is using the phrase in context to describe this season only.

Hence the inclusion of the year at the beginning of the statement and the title of the article.

When looking at the cold, hard facts; King Henry and Godbrovsky are easily in the discussion for leagues best for the '12/'13 season.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:27 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I'm sure the author is using the phrase in context to describe this season only.

Hence the inclusion of the year at the beginning of the statement and the title of the article.

When looking at the cold, hard facts; King Henry and Godbrovsky are easily in the discussion for leagues best for the '12/'13 season.
I agree, I just missed the part where they said best goalies of the season and read it best goalies in the league. I just thought the latter was a bit ambitious!

Old
04-09-2013, 10:38 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm so sick of goalie debates..every freakin season that I can remember besides the first 3 years of Hextall's tenure until his groin injuries we've had mediocre goaltending. I mean even with Hextall his rookie year was the only one that stood out. The subsequent years including his second stint with the Flyers, his career was marred with soft goals. Look at his save percentage year to year and career wise..it was primarily below 90% and ended as such. Really, the goalie carousel in Philly is just epic. Cechmanek, Biron and Beezer were the only goalies I can recall since Hextall's vezina year that posted respectable save percentages and GAA's in consecutive years and made situational saves only to crap the bed in the playoffs. The rest of the goalies in and out of Philly like Esche had one good year and then would pretty much suck. Bryz so far has been mediocre the whole time here. With him I really don't think he has the mental makeup to be the franchise goalie we thought we were getting no matter how much the D and team D is improved by some miracle. He needs to be amnestied. I also have very little confidence in Mason but he hasn't been given a fair shake just yet. I want to see him grab the bull by the horns once he gets his chances. If he is Bryz's doppleganger I want him out pronto as well. Bring in somebody with some kind of competitive drive and willingness to learn..you know like a Bob!

Closed Thread