HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
No oversimplification here. Old farts have been complaining about the next generation for, literally, thousands of years...
I used to joke with my parents that if they had an issue with my behavior, they could blame one of two things: Genetics (their fault), or how I was raised (still their fault). So if I'm lazy, basically it's all my parents fault haha

Old
03-22-2013, 01:21 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I used to joke with my parents that if they had an issue with my behavior, they could blame one of two things: Genetics (their fault), or how I was raised (still their fault). So if I'm lazy, basically it's all my parents fault haha
Yeah going way off topic but if this generation is apparently the most entitled, then what does that say about the generation that raised it?

They're the ones that decided that a best thing for a kid going through school is to continuously pump the child's self esteem, stopped giving grades in elementary school, demonized corporal punishment, took scores out of team sports, told kids all they have to do is do good in school and go to college, etc etc. You can argue them on a case by case basis as being for the best but taking it as a lump sum it's no wonder why there's so many self entitled little ***** out there

Old
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Beezeral

vCash: 500
Played in a pick up game at a different rink than normal last night. It was mostly C and D level players out there except for 4 guys who were all high B level players who were all on the same team. Instead of spreading themselves out amongst th 15 or so guys on their team, they all get together on one line.

Of course, when they are on the ice it became like a 5-3 PP and I was peppered with shots. I didn't really mind it at first because I was enjoying the extra work.

Then the ring-leader Gretzky wannabe started over-celebrating the nicer goals he set up.

Then he started setting up one timer slap shots from the slot.

I still kept calm. I've played against much tougher competition and been scored on in a million different ways. I can handle it. I also didn't mind the slap shots because none of them could really crank it up.

What finally got to me was during one of his multiple breakaways, I caught him in the skate with a poke check and he went down hard. I went to check on him and make sure he was ok and he lost his mind and started yelling about how this is pick up hockey and why am I trying to take him out.

The guy whose been skating like he's playing in game 7 against completely overmatched competition while breaking every unwritten rule of pick up hockey is upset because he went down hard after a poke check. GMAFB

Old
04-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Puck Farise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Played in a pick up game at a different rink than normal last night. It was mostly C and D level players out there except for 4 guys who were all high B level players who were all on the same team. Instead of spreading themselves out amongst th 15 or so guys on their team, they all get together on one line.

Of course, when they are on the ice it became like a 5-3 PP and I was peppered with shots. I didn't really mind it at first because I was enjoying the extra work.

Then the ring-leader Gretzky wannabe started over-celebrating the nicer goals he set up.

Then he started setting up one timer slap shots from the slot.

I still kept calm. I've played against much tougher competition and been scored on in a million different ways. I can handle it. I also didn't mind the slap shots because none of them could really crank it up.

What finally got to me was during one of his multiple breakaways, I caught him in the skate with a poke check and he went down hard. I went to check on him and make sure he was ok and he lost his mind and started yelling about how this is pick up hockey and why am I trying to take him out.

The guy whose been skating like he's playing in game 7 against completely overmatched competition while breaking every unwritten rule of pick up hockey is upset because he went down hard after a poke check. GMAFB
This is like that for every open hockey at my inline league. We have 9 different divisions, and the top 2 are mostly filled with guys that play pro or semi-pro. There's normally a group of 4-6 of them that show up and all go on the same side. So they go out there for every one of their shifts, and go globe-trotters on every one. Which, I'm fine playing up against competition. Good to push yourself and everything...but when you end up there playing with guys who are d6-7 level (best players are d1, I play in d4), it really ruins it because you don't stand a chance.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
CoopALoop

More of a frustration at myself post.

Playoffs have just started around here. Played for my Van. Millionaires team against the Bent Sticks.

While they have had our number (even though were a higher seed) all year, they are a very beatable team.

So with the usual break between reg. season and playoffs, as well as real life responsibilities, I had not played for about 9 days. This is quite a long time for myself as I try to get on the ice 3-6 times a week.

So I hit the ice rusty and with nerves skyrocketing as it's playoffs.

I had a really shaky performance. We lost 5-2 and I had maybe 25 shots total. Every single goal was one I should have had and ended up getting more and more frustrated with myself and ended up getting myself off of my own game.

Our next game is Sunday and I'm trying to get out to a couple drop in's to get back into the swing of things and get my game back.

It's just frustrating that I was finishing my seasons on top of my game and with very high confidence, to taking a week's break and having my confidence shot.

This was on Saturday night and I'm still fuming about it.

I guess the only way is up right?

Edit: It would be very tough for me to blame my defense for any of the goals. Two of the shots were weak wristers from the top of the circles that I fluffed on, glove side.

The other two were jam plays that went underneath me due to not keeping an easy seal in the bfly.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

I've had games like that - it's usually where I don't quite have the focus that I need.

What I (try to) do to combat that is something that Jim Craig would do - I break the game into five-minute segments, and in my mind, I reset the score at the end of each segment. It helps me stay motivated (even in games where we're up or down by a lot).

Old
04-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Chest Infected
Rookie User

I play pick up with a bunch of guys around my area. And we hit everybody is okay with it, well most everybody. There are a few skill guys that speed is there main weapon. They'll throw the odd hit but most of the time they're dirty.

So last game i'm playing a puck along the boards and this one guy absolutely cremes me from behind. I go down like a sac of taters and he picks up the puck and continues the play. Couple guys that seen what happened came over to see if I was okay. I got up and went to he bench and shook the cob webs out.

So few shifts later i'm out again and buddy who hit me is out. The play is coming out of there zone and he's first one up the ice on his team. So I see the pass coming to him from pretty much behind him. So I line him up and I mean I absolutely creme him just as he receives the puck, picks his head up and boom. Perfectly clean shoulder to chest hit he was labelled I couldn't of hit him harder.

I skate away, don't chirp him or anything. He gets up and catches up with me, and spears me in the back with his stick. My D partner see's this and drops the gloves with the guy. I find it terrible how some guys will throw hits and not take em. I play physical like it's pretty much my only strength to my game so that's what I do. If I get hit clean i'll take it and not say nothing of it. I wish other guys could do the same.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:33 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Infected View Post
I play pick up with a bunch of guys around my area. And we hit everybody is okay with it, well most everybody. There are a few skill guys that speed is there main weapon. They'll throw the odd hit but most of the time they're dirty.

So last game i'm playing a puck along the boards and this one guy absolutely cremes me from behind. I go down like a sac of taters and he picks up the puck and continues the play. Couple guys that seen what happened came over to see if I was okay. I got up and went to he bench and shook the cob webs out.

So few shifts later i'm out again and buddy who hit me is out. The play is coming out of there zone and he's first one up the ice on his team. So I see the pass coming to him from pretty much behind him. So I line him up and I mean I absolutely creme him just as he receives the puck, picks his head up and boom. Perfectly clean shoulder to chest hit he was labelled I couldn't of hit him harder.

I skate away, don't chirp him or anything. He gets up and catches up with me, and spears me in the back with his stick. My D partner see's this and drops the gloves with the guy. I find it terrible how some guys will throw hits and not take em. I play physical like it's pretty much my only strength to my game so that's what I do. If I get hit clean i'll take it and not say nothing of it. I wish other guys could do the same.
Well, you ARE crushing a guy as hard as you can. Some people aren't just going to take that. Geeze, in the NHL it seems like every big clean hit results in a scuffle these days.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:41 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Well, you ARE crushing a guy as hard as you can. Some people aren't just going to take that. Geeze, in the NHL it seems like every big clean hit results in a scuffle these days.
That's just like when you get pushed on the opponent's goalie and the other team will jump on you. Some players are just out there to pick fights.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Chest Infected
Rookie User

If he's not gonna be okay with getting hit hard he shouldn't be hitting other people. If you hit me from behind with no regard of my safety or health why should hold up when I have the chance to lay a clean hit on you? If you can't take it you shouldn't deal it. Turn about is fair play in my mind.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:38 PM
fallsviewafro
Finnish goalies

vCash: 1075
Defenseman making smartass "swiss cheese" comments when he is a fat **** who couldn't skate backwards to turn a breakaway into a one-on-one if his life depended on it.

I get busting people's balls in beer league, but at least make sure you aren't totally worthless before you start chirping your own goalie...

Old
04-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsviewafro View Post
Defenseman making smartass "swiss cheese" comments when he is a fat **** who couldn't skate backwards to turn a breakaway into a one-on-one if his life depended on it.

I get busting people's balls in beer league, but at least make sure you aren't totally worthless before you start chirping your own goalie...
Nothing more obnoxious than giving a goalie a hard time in a pick up setting. Nobody is keeping score and nobody is focusing too much on defense. I don't expect you to go all out and block shots or chase down a guy on a breakaway, so if/when I give up a couple soft ones, just fish the puck out of the net and keep playing.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Seems like there's a lot of hacks in my new league. Last week I got lined up a couple times with no call. Okay. Last night I had slashes across both hands and was checked from behind into the boards twice. Luckily I've got pretty decent leg and core strength and could push back instead of going head first, but ugh.

Dumb part is a lot of these guys are playing in the lowest level of winter league, which kind of reinforces the trend of lower levels being dirty and chippy and higher levels being cleaner.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
More of a frustration at myself post.

Playoffs have just started around here. Played for my Van. Millionaires team against the Bent Sticks.

While they have had our number (even though were a higher seed) all year, they are a very beatable team.

So with the usual break between reg. season and playoffs, as well as real life responsibilities, I had not played for about 9 days. This is quite a long time for myself as I try to get on the ice 3-6 times a week.

So I hit the ice rusty and with nerves skyrocketing as it's playoffs.

I had a really shaky performance. We lost 5-2 and I had maybe 25 shots total. Every single goal was one I should have had and ended up getting more and more frustrated with myself and ended up getting myself off of my own game.

Our next game is Sunday and I'm trying to get out to a couple drop in's to get back into the swing of things and get my game back.

It's just frustrating that I was finishing my seasons on top of my game and with very high confidence, to taking a week's break and having my confidence shot.

This was on Saturday night and I'm still fuming about it.

I guess the only way is up right?

Edit: It would be very tough for me to blame my defense for any of the goals. Two of the shots were weak wristers from the top of the circles that I fluffed on, glove side.

The other two were jam plays that went underneath me due to not keeping an easy seal in the bfly.
I haven't played a single game since mid October.

I can't imagine how ****** I'll be once I hit the ice again. Probably in half a year maybe.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:46 AM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I haven't played a single game since mid October.

I can't imagine how ****** I'll be once I hit the ice again. Probably in half a year maybe.
I'm too much of a rink rat to not play.

Granted, being on 3 teams helps.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I've had games like that - it's usually where I don't quite have the focus that I need.

What I (try to) do to combat that is something that Jim Craig would do - I break the game into five-minute segments, and in my mind, I reset the score at the end of each segment. It helps me stay motivated (even in games where we're up or down by a lot).
I try to focus a lot on taking the game one shift at a time and just winning that shift. I may start looking at the game this way as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Infected View Post

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I'm not a large guy but I am not a small guy (6'2", 180 with a low BF%). I don't mind a little body in the corners and playing the body on a 1v1 and generally give those guys a tap on the shins when they make a nice defensive play using the body without hitting people. HOWEVER, if you start trying to flatten me against the boards or catch me with my head down when I haven't done anything to you, you better believe it'll come back around when the opportunity presents itself. And I will not have any qualms letting you know you it's coming either.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:49 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I'm not a large guy but I am not a small guy (6'2", 180 with a low BF%).
6'2 180 is pretty big actually imo

Old
04-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
6'2 180 is pretty big actually imo
...then there are some guys like me at 5'10" / 205-210lbs., also very lean, who can toy with people of such size.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:35 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Main frustration? The season that was supposed to start on Monday was postponed to the following Monday. But our captain got our whole roster in on a drop-in game for Monday night, so whatever.

Had a great game yesterday. Started with a short bench - 11 instead of our usual 16. It's a developmental league and the coach wouldn't let us use any subs from the team that wasn't playing. So we're out there running 3 centers and 2 wing pairs - never got a chance to really catch our breath before it was time to go back out there. Went down 2-0 in the first, then 4-2 in the second. Skated our butts off. Finally in the third, we caught up and then went up 5-4. They tied it in the last minute so we went to a SO. We ended up winning it. It really felt good to win knowing that we had truly earned it through a team effort this time, not because we had 1 or 2 hotshots doing all the work.

I got fired up because some guy hacked at my stick way harder than necessary. He could have done any one of a number of things - poke check, just skate off with the puck, lift the stick, tap it just a bit - I'm a girl, it's not like I've got serious muscles on my arms or anything. Instead he whacked at it hard enough that I could feel the vibrations all the way up my arm - if you've ever caught a seriously hard pass, it was that same feeling. My wrist actually was tingling after that and I started thinking "WTH? Sure, it's fine to be competitive - but in a developmental league, a 'friendly' game and using that much force against a girl who isn't going to fight back much?" So I went after him. Every time he had the puck - I was there to get in his way. Every time he was at the point hoping for a pass to take a shot - I was right there in front of him. And every time he had the puck, I was ready to push him right into the boards to keep him to the outside.

Yeah, I know...those are things I'm probably supposed to be doing anyway. But he gave me he extra push to do them harder, better, and more consistently than when I'm playing a friendly game with actual friends.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
I'm too much of a rink rat to not play.

Granted, being on 3 teams helps.
So was I. When I was in a city with at least one ice rink. Ugh.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:21 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

As a Beer League captain...

Seriously... If I (kindly and constructively) tell you that you shouldn't be on D and you refuse to play any other position...

I'm at my wits end. Normally, if I have a skater on my team that thinks playing D means staying at center ice while the forwards have possession in the offensive zone is a good idea... I can gently talk to them and convince them that it isn't a good idea to do that.

Normally, if I have a skater on D that gets burned by the wingers every shift, I can convince them that maybe they should try to do the same thing as a forward.

Hell... When I first started a year ago, I thought playing D like that was the best place for me. Two games in and I asked to be moved to forward. I recognized that I was bad at D.

/shrug

Last game, the wingers on that side dropped down way too low all the time to compensate...

just not sure what to do to fix it at this point.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:00 PM
jcorfive

My beef is getting slashed in the shin hard enough to cause this. Yes, I wear shin guards.

Edit. He gave me a slash on the wrists. I tripped him. About as clear as a text book trip as you could get. After he slashed me, I lost the puck and he went the other way (with the puck). I turned around and put my stick between his feet. As he got up I got the baseball swing to the shin. I'm not innocent, but damn. I was not expecting that.

Last edited by jcorfive: 04-15-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old
04-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Ozz

Damn, that's rough. What happened after that?

Don't feel too bad though, I've got a 6" scar under my pec from a goof who speared me six months ago in an inline league (no torso padding).

Old
04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
jcorfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Damn, that's rough. What happened after that?

Don't feel too bad though, I've got a 6" scar under my pec from a goof who speared me six months ago in an inline league (no torso padding).
That and hitting front behind (or slew footing or kneeing) are some of the few things that really piss me off. 6" scar is nuts. Hopefully just superficial?

I assumed he was getting a slashing call and made my way to the box. When I found out he wasn't I had a few choice words for the ref. Luckily only received the minor for tripping. Sat my time and the game went on. The guy that slashed me and myself had a few shoving matches in front of the net, but nothing more than normal play. Nothing more came of it. Can't remember the outcome to the game; which means we probably lost.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorfive View Post
That and hitting front behind (or slew footing or kneeing) are some of the few things that really piss me off. 6" scar is nuts. Hopefully just superficial?

I assumed he was getting a slashing call and made my way to the box. When I found out he wasn't I had a few choice words for the ref. Luckily only received the minor for tripping. Sat my time and the game went on. The guy that slashed me and myself had a few shoving matches in front of the net, but nothing more than normal play. Nothing more came of it. Can't remember the outcome to the game; which means we probably lost.
Yes, it's the weirdest thing. It smarted more than it hurt, and when I got to the bench a minute or so later I noticed some skin breakage and minimal blood (just some trace amount at the surface and far less than your slash). It wasn't bad in the damage respect but the scrape looked really rough, and for some reason it left a scar that still lasts. Yours looks like it's going to take a while to fix itself. Hopefully you plan on wrapping it well before you put your pads on next time. That'll hurt like hell otherwise.

Ad yes, getting hit from behind sucks. People can get messed up if they're loose and not expecting it - especially in leagues where there's no checking in the first place. I say if you're going to hit someone anyway to at least man up and pop them head on. The same point gets made and you come across as less of an *******. There's one guy in one of our leagues that's famous for doing that crap.

Closed Thread