HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2013, 04:08 PM
  #601
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,372
vCash: 500
Best thing will be IF Mason played tomorrow and somehow did well, all we will hear is how the Islanders suck, and the team played ALOT better infront of him and how it was unfair for Bryz that they did this.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
  #602
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I know you can't blame Bryz for anything but him along with the rest of the team played like **** saturday.
i know you think that 1 awful goal from Bryz constitutes a bad game ..... the objective people around here saw a Flyers team that was awful after the 1st, got steamrollered in the 2nd & a Bryz who gave up 1 bad goal. 1. count them. 1.


he wasn't the reason the team folded after the 1st ..... and, eventually, he folded, too - on the 4th goal.

Mason made no difference in the 3rd, by the way.

i don't care who plays between them. i'll root for success either way & judge them equally.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
  #603
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,495
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i know you think that 1 awful goal from Bryz constitutes a bad game ..... the objective people around here saw a Flyers team that was awful after the 1st, got steamrollered in the 2nd & a Bryz who gave up 1 bad goal. 1. count them. 1.


he wasn't the reason the team folded after the 1st ..... and, eventually, he folded, too - on the 4th goal.

Mason made no difference in the 3rd, by the way.

i don't care who plays between them. i'll root for success either way & judge them equally.
Bryzgalov's play through the whole game was generally awful and lazy.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:31 PM
  #604
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i know you think that 1 awful goal from Bryz constitutes a bad game ..... the objective people around here saw a Flyers team that was awful after the 1st, got steamrollered in the 2nd & a Bryz who gave up 1 bad goal. 1. count them. 1.


he wasn't the reason the team folded after the 1st ..... and, eventually, he folded, too - on the 4th goal.

Mason made no difference in the 3rd, by the way.

i don't care who plays between them. i'll root for success either way & judge them equally.
He still wasn't sharp that game regardless of how many goals you can fault him for. If anything he lucked out in the first period a few times. Winnipeg was missing the mark in the whole period, they hit two posts and Ladd completely missed the net on a breakaway. He deserves as much blame as any other player on the team for the loss. The whole team played like ****.

I never said Mason made a difference he was sent in for clean up time with Winnipeg taking their foot off the pedal. Although he did make a nice save on a shooter in close when he was squared up with him but still it was a very small sample size and nothing to get excited about.

And no you have any obvious bias torwards goaltenders because you're quick to throw positional players under the bus as long as it makes the goalie look better but burry your head in the sand when a goalie messes up. It's a two way street and many of the posters who get on Bryz are the same ones who get on Briere, Coburn, etc.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-08-2013 at 04:39 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
  #605
Cardds
Registered User
 
Cardds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
So is it likely that Mason will start tomorrow? Because I'm pretty damn tired of seeing Bryz in net now and the season is almost over anyway. If Mason sucks tomorrow I'll be disappointed but I just don't want another Bryz start at least for one game.

Cardds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:43 PM
  #606
Jumping
Registered User
 
Jumping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
I think the problem now with Bryz is his demeanor. I think the Flyers players look at him and think "oh no not again" and do not consider him a team guy. It makes everyone play at lower energy levels.

It would be interesting to get a Ron Hextall type who would swing a stick at a guy. Jeez, I remember when he crushed Chelios after Chelios took Propp's head off. He got major blowback from the league, but you knew he cared.

Sometimes I think it seems like Bryz doesn't care, one way or the other. He's got his money. He's a gun for hire and when those guys find out they are out gunned they usually head for the hills (Rashoman references notwithstanding).

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
  #607
Cardds
Registered User
 
Cardds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
I think the problem now with Bryz is his demeanor. I think the Flyers players look at him and think "oh no not again" and do not consider him a team guy. It makes everyone play at lower energy levels.

It would be interesting to get a Ron Hextall type who would swing a stick at a guy. Jeez, I remember when he crushed Chelios after Chelios took Propp's head off. He got major blowback from the league, but you knew he cared.

Sometimes I think it seems like Bryz doesn't care, one way or the other. He's got his money. He's a gun for hire and when those guys find out they are out gunned they usually head for the hills (Rashoman references notwithstanding).
Glad Hextall finally won a cup last year.


Last edited by Cardds: 04-08-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Cardds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:08 PM
  #608
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,859
vCash: 500
Like it. Can't get any worse than the BUM we currently have.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
  #609
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Eh we swapped one bum for another.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:00 PM
  #610
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seward, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,240
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Eh we swapped one bum for another.
But this bum has potential and a Calder

It's a good signing. We'll get a real good look at him for half a year and then decide whether or not to extend him, and can then decide whether or not to buyout Bryz following next season.

I think what Homer and the organization is doing, is probably the best way to go about it. Seriously, what better option is out there? Buyout Bryz after this year, with hopes of getting someone like Howard, who will be resigned most likely anyway? Or have a 1a/1b situation with Mason and someone like Nabokov, which would probably just make things worse for the potential that Mason has.

Going into next year, this defines the roles clearly. It's Bryz's job to lose and it takes pressure off Mason, as he should know and understand, he's a backup for now, but has a chance to reprove himself going forward. You make both goalies understand they need to perform, and if they don't, they're both gone at the end of 2014.

Also, now they just focus on fixing the D and the defensive system in the offseason, hopefully.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
  #611
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Mason made no difference in the 3rd, by the way.
yea, 0 GA in the third..

what a bum...


Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:30 PM
  #612
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
0 GA in the third..
correct. the Flyers scored 0 goals in the 3rd.

made no difference who was in net for us.

goaltending didn't cost is that game, even though goal #4 was awful.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:32 PM
  #613
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,495
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
correct. the Flyers scored 0 goals in the 3rd.

made no difference who was in net for us.

goaltending didn't cost is that game, even though goal #4 was awful.
Is it difficult to deflect attention away from Bryzgalov's horrific play this blatantly? How do you justify it?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:09 PM
  #614
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
But this bum has potential and a Calder

It's a good signing. We'll get a real good look at him for half a year and then decide whether or not to extend him, and can then decide whether or not to buyout Bryz following next season.

I think what Homer and the organization is doing, is probably the best way to go about it. Seriously, what better option is out there? Buyout Bryz after this year, with hopes of getting someone like Howard, who will be resigned most likely anyway? Or have a 1a/1b situation with Mason and someone like Nabokov, which would probably just make things worse for the potential that Mason has.

Going into next year, this defines the roles clearly. It's Bryz's job to lose and it takes pressure off Mason, as he should know and understand, he's a backup for now, but has a chance to reprove himself going forward. You make both goalies understand they need to perform, and if they don't, they're both gone at the end of 2014.

Also, now they just focus on fixing the D and the defensive system in the offseason, hopefully.
So did Raycroft. It's a low risk deal, but it's also likely low reward considering his career numbers are similar to Leighton.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:10 PM
  #615
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
1.5 million for our starting goalie next year....solid
/hi-five...

thats what i was thinking..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:14 PM
  #616
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
I wanted to see if I have been the only person to notice this.


Anyone else frustrated at how many times a game Bryz looks behind him while making a save? ****ing guy has to do it like 4-5 times a game. Even the commentators bring it up. That shows a complete lack of confidence.
i've mentioned it everytime i see it..

cuz ur right, it does show a lack of confidence that he knows he has the puck..

those lookbacks are him saying "thats in for sure"...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:17 PM
  #617
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
/hi-five...

thats what i was thinking..
1.5M for a starting goalie = awesome.
Steve Mason as a starting goalie = LOL.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:18 PM
  #618
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,495
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
/hi-five...

thats what i was thinking..
He may play like a slob, but at least he'd have a cap hit deserved by a slob. Unlike our current slob.

We'd at least be able to dump more money into skaters.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:18 PM
  #619
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
correct. the Flyers scored 0 goals in the 3rd.

made no difference who was in net for us.

goaltending didn't cost is that game, even though goal #4 was awful.
you continue to have no idea what backbreaking goals are..

Flyers lead.. Bryz starts being leaky (yet again), soon its 3-1..

text book definition of back breaking.. then that horrid 4th goal.. team basicly says **** it.. cant say i blame them..

it has to be frustrating to see Bryz blow leads time and time again... ALWAYS having to outscore your goalie is NOT what Bryz was brought in for or certainly paid to be..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:20 PM
  #620
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
1.5M for a starting goalie = awesome.
Steve Mason as a starting goalie = LOL.
whateva.. im willing to blank-slate him and see what he brings..

same thing i did with Bryz when he started here.

maybe Mason sucks, maybe not..least let him showup and we'll find out

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:23 PM
  #621
poneill27
Registered User
 
poneill27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Casterly Rock
Country: United States
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
Bryz isn't good enough for the $ we spend on him. He needs to go! We need defense. Badly!!! Mason makes back up $ and that's perfect.

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:31 PM
  #622
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He may play like a slob, but at least he'd have a cap hit deserved by a slob. Unlike our current slob.

We'd at least be able to dump more money into skaters.


I agree it's better to have a cheap slob than an expensive one, but at the same time I worry Holmgren is going back to throw any slob in net as long as he is cheap philosophy. When he should be looking for the next Vokoun or Niemi. Someone who puts up at least league average stats, but comes cheaply because they are undervalued. Not someone who will come cheap because no one else would pay them that much (Leighton, Mason).

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:34 PM
  #623
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,927
vCash: 5792
They're paying him like a 1A goaltender and not a backup.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:38 PM
  #624
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They're paying him like a 1A goaltender and not a backup.
I don't think that's true. Chris Mason is making $1.5m in Nashville this year, and he's most definitely a backup. So is Johan Hedberg and he's making $1.4m. Biron is making $1.3m, Vokun is making $2m... they're all backups.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:42 PM
  #625
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,188
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They're paying him like a 1A goaltender and not a backup.
Disagree

via Capgeek
Quote:
Hedberg, Johan $1,400,000
Giguere, J. $1,250,000
Vokoun,Tomas $2,000,000
Garon, Mathieu $1,300,000
Elliott,Brian $1,800,000
Labarbera, Jason $1,250,000
Gustavsson, Jonas $1,500,000
Mason, Chris $1,500,000
Harding, Josh $1,900,000
Biron, Martin $1,300,000
Budaj,Peter $1,150,000

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.