HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyer's Biggest Flaw

Old
04-07-2013, 06:54 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
If you go look at his record, you will see.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:55 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

But you may be right may be "bad" isn't the right word.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

While I think Lavi's time is running up here in Philly the guys still a good coach. You don't make the Finals twice and win a cup one of them by being a bad coach.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Ryker

Interestingly, he was voted as the eight best coach in the NHL by the panel NHL.com assembled for their Top 8 or whatever series.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:02 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Interestingly, he was voted as the eight best coach in the NHL by the panel NHL.com assembled for their Top 8 or whatever series.
The ones with Byslama in their list lost all credibility.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
The ones with Byslama in their list lost all credibility.
Huh, explain?

Old
04-07-2013, 08:11 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Huh, explain?
Look at the roster he has. Not hard to win games with it. One could argue it is hard to lose with it, yet he has.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Look at the roster he has. Not hard to win games with it. One could argue it is hard to lose with it, yet he has.
OK... I guess you didn't follow the NHL a couple of years ago when he first started out, and kept winning without Crosby, Malkin and Staal (no Neal, either), and the rest of the team middling on paper. He makes Dupuis look like a superstar, and you say he's a bad coach.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:24 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
OK... I guess you didn't follow the NHL a couple of years ago when he first started out, and kept winning without Crosby, Malkin and Staal (no Neal, either), and the rest of the team middling on paper. He makes Dupuis look like a superstar, and you say he's a bad coach.
What? He got hired midseason and took them to the Cup where they won. Malkin won the Conn Smythe that year. Crosby was also good that run. Staal was pivotal too.

Crosby and Malkin were not both out of the lineup at the same time for an extended period of time. One of the two was healthy. Neal was traded for before last season. I am sure playing alongside Crosby is very hard. I guess you didn't follow the NHL a couple of years ago.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Ryker

Quote:
What? He got hired midseason and took them to the Cup where they won. Malkin won the Conn Smythe that year. Crosby was also good that run. Staal was pivotal too.
Chicken or the egg?
Quote:
Crosby and Malkin were not both out of the lineup at the same time for an extended period of time.
Hmm, yeah, over two months. I'd consider that an extended period of time, but alright, if you don't you don't.
Quote:
Neal was traded for before last season. I am sure playing alongside Crosby is very hard. I guess you didn't follow the NHL a couple of years ago.
I thought hockey was a team sport and a single guy (or two on separate lines) can't win a championship. I might've been wrong all this time. I also thought Crosby isn't superhuman and able to play on four lines and do the work of three guys both offensively and defensively.

It's also funny you say how bad Bylsma is with his team leading the conference and in points second only to Chicago, who I'd say has a better team on paper, as well. But regardless of how the team looks on paper you still have to make them perform. I guess it's the Pens, though, and you'll grasp for whatever you can find to bash them. But the length to which people here will go just to do that is incredible.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:07 PM
freakydallas13

The flyers biggest flaw is that they have many big flaws.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:15 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Chicken or the egg?
Hmm, yeah, over two months. I'd consider that an extended period of time, but alright, if you don't you don't. I thought hockey was a team sport and a single guy (or two on separate lines) can't win a championship. I might've been wrong all this time. I also thought Crosby isn't superhuman and able to play on four lines and do the work of three guys both offensively and defensively.

It's also funny you say how bad Bylsma is with his team leading the conference and in points second only to Chicago, who I'd say has a better team on paper, as well. But regardless of how the team looks on paper you still have to make them perform. I guess it's the Pens, though, and you'll grasp for whatever you can find to bash them. But the length to which people here will go just to do that is incredible.

Two all world players can't make the team they are on better? They can't make a coach look good? I like how you put in information I never said.

How am I bashing the Pens here? I say they have two of the best players in the league if not the best. I am saying their coach isn't one of the better ones in the league. Nice stretching there. Hey whatever works right?

Old
04-07-2013, 10:48 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
They have issues all over the ice but their biggest problem is the system. It just won't work, it really never has. Lavi got lucky one year in Carolina but by and large whatever he touches turns sour. It starts behind the bench.
I remember when you used to laugh at the word "system" when John Stevens was here (speaking of bad head coaches) Now everything is Lavy's fault. Naturally.
If we brought in a coach who preached defensive hockey you would complain about the drop off in offense of our forwards.
I really don't think Lavy is a bad coach. But if this team doesn't make the playoffs he will take part of the blame like he should. Along with Holmgren and a good portian of the players on this roster. led by our 8 billion dollar franchise goaltender.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:38 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Two all world players can't make the team they are on better? They can't make a coach look good? I like how you put in information I never said.

How am I bashing the Pens here? I say they have two of the best players in the league if not the best. I am saying their coach isn't one of the better ones in the league. Nice stretching there. Hey whatever works right?
I think Bylsma is a decent coach too. You don't have to get upset that someone disagreed with you and get all snarky.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:33 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I think Bylsma is a decent coach too. You don't have to get upset that someone disagreed with you and get all snarky.
I did not mean or think I came off as snarky. I apologize if it seems that way. I did not get upset at all. People have their own opinions and I have my own. That is all fine. I just don't like people who say I said things I never said.

For the record I am not saying Bylsma is bad coach, I am saying he isn't one of the top coaches in the NHL. I do think he is a decent coach, just not one of the best or one of the worst.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
04' hockey

this .....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-nhl-prospects

Not one Flyer .....

Homer trades draft picks and former 1st rounders, Richards, Carter, Sbisa, Sharp etc.
It's like he can't help himself to give away draft picks .....

Time for a new direction here in Philly, IMHO keeping Homer just means more of the same, just more lateral moves .....boring

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:54 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-nhl-prospects

Not one Flyer .....

Homer trades draft picks and former 1st rounders, Richards, Carter, Sbisa, Sharp etc.
It's like he can't help himself to give away draft picks .....

Time for a new direction here in Philly, IMHO keeping Homer just means more of the same, just more lateral moves .....boring
Couturier and Schenn would be on this list if they weren't already in the NHL.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Laughton belongs on that list, Sharp was never a first rounder, and Carter and Richards were traded for three first rounders and a second rounder.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I remember when you used to laugh at the word "system" when John Stevens was here (speaking of bad head coaches) Now everything is Lavy's fault.
I remember when all you could type was "system" for the better part of two years. Now nothing is the coach's fault.

Sweet.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I remember when all you could type was "system" for the better part of two years. Now nothing is the coach's fault.

Sweet.
Well, that's completely false. Lavi has been getting heat all season, and going back to the playoffs last year, after he confirmed our concerns from the Boston series the year before.

04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
RussLindberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Watching last night as Toronto was mounting a comeback against the Flyers, it was evident what our biggest problem is. Our inability to get out of the defensive zone and enter the neutral zone and start a forecheck.
I totaly agree, but adding to that is a `sloppyīBack-checking. The speed that Philly had while under Hitch, and the first years of Laviolette. The switch from offensive zone to the deffensive zone is not the same now a days. I belive that may have something to do with the Richards trade, But! he is just one player.

I recall even the 1st game of the playoffs against the pens last season that I told my friends that I was watching the game with that "even the 9 year olds I coach has better speed and positioning switching from O to D " and the sloppyness got much worse in the NYD series...

Last edited by RussLindberg: 04-09-2013 at 01:08 PM.
RussLindberg is offline   Reply With Quote