HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Wild gets Jason Pominville, '14 4th for Larsson, Hackett 13' 1st + '14 2nd Part 2

Old
04-08-2013, 10:38 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

vCash: 500
I just hope the cap goes up so we can fit vanek if the opportunity presents itself.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:49 AM
nickschultzfan

Pomer has a spot on this team long-term. Heatley, Bouchard, and Cullen are gone sooner (Cullen may be re-signed for a small contract). The kids are coming, but they have a ways to go. Koivu and Parise need skilled vets to lead the team while the kids grow.

Love that Pomer is already playing really well with Koivu and Parise. That line is just going to get better and better.

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Ladde

Guys... Vanek is impossible for us to land as a free agent. Even if we could get him signed how would we be able to sing the likes of Brodin,Coyle,Zucker and Granlund to their 2nd contracts?
Vanek is just out of reach. Stop dreaming that we could sign him.

Ladde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
Guys... Vanek is impossible for us to land as a free agent. Even if we could get him signed how would we be able to sing the likes of Brodin,Coyle,Zucker and Granlund to their 2nd contracts?
That was sort of my thinking too, but Russo is the one who brought the idea up in the first place, and he was saying the Wild would go for Parise back in like 2010.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
nickschultzfan

Vanek isn't going to be making MORE money than he did under his prime-age contract. Same with Pomer. Both will be over 30 when they need to be re-signed. Plus, cap space is going to be tight for all teams in the coming years.

If Fletcher makes a long-term offer to both, he could probably re-sign Pomer for under $5 million/year and Vanek for just over $5 million/year.

But yeah, that's probably a pipe dream, or at the very least, would require the Wild to trade away it's somewhat expensive middle players like Setoguchi, Brodziak, and Clutterbuck.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:00 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Nothing is impossible. Contracts get cleared, players get traded, salary cap rises, etc. Vanek may even leave a few dollars on the table for a chance to play at home with his BFF...who knows?

I wouldn't discount the possibility.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Only thing I'd wonder is if we'd want another top six forward over 30. In two years they would be:

Koivu = 32
Parise = 30
Pominville = 32
Vanek = 31

All well and good at the time, but those players can drop off FAST. Look at New York, San Jose, etc.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:25 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

So we're just penciling in Vanek already?

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:29 AM
grN1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
actually, its possible. The cap Ceiling should no doubt raise in 3 years. By then, we can sign vanek to a 3-5 year, 18-33 million dollar contract if he goes to FA, and we can still give out raises to Granny, Coyle, Brodin, and Dumba during the season, or after. Noone besides Brodin should get a contract that requires a 6+ million cap hit.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:40 AM
grN1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Only thing I'd wonder is if we'd want another top six forward over 30. In two years they would be:

Koivu = 32
Parise = 30
Pominville = 32
Vanek = 31

All well and good at the time, but those players can drop off FAST. Look at New York, San Jose, etc.
you sign vanek and poms to 3-5 year deals, obviously longer deals would prob = less money in theses situations, but you still get these 2 in the last 2-3 years of their prime for a cup run.

Hell, we've seen first hand thanks to cullen, selanne, saku, etc.. that you can still play well in this league at 35+ if you take care of yourself. I dont see any reason players like vanek, pominville, parise, suter, and koivu wouldn't be able to still do what they do at 35+.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:42 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:

Koivu = 32
Parise = 30
Pominville = 32
Vanek = 31

Well, it depends on if you are cutting out a spot for a young player. The best determination of whether the Wild go after Vanek is less a cap hit issue and more on Setoguchi's development. If Setoguchi flat-lines, remains inconsistent or unreliable, the Wild would be wise to look for a more established threat in the top-6.

Aside from Seto, there really isn't anybody that would be pushed out of the line-up by Vanek. Zucker and Coyle will have a spot in the top-9 for sure, but the rest of our winger prospects are long-term projects (i.e. Lucia).

Old
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
SP1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
That was sort of my thinking too, but Russo is the one who brought the idea up in the first place, and he was saying the Wild would go for Parise back in like 2010.
If he digs enough holes any dog will eventually find a bone!

SP1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:57 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:

Koivu = 32
Parise = 30
Pominville = 32
Vanek = 31

In an ideal world, as those players get older, they gradually get shifted down to the 2nd line and the players like Zucker, Coyle and Granlund get moved up to the 1st line.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Sheng Peng

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
In an ideal world, as those players get older, they gradually get shifted down to the 2nd line and the players like Zucker, Coyle and Granlund get moved up to the 1st line.
In an ideal uncapped world

Sheng Peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:06 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Imagine Granlund centering Vanek in a couple years!

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:06 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheng Peng View Post
In an ideal uncapped world
I'm no expert on the CBA, but I think it will be quite a while before the kids see the large money. They won't even hit RFA status for another three seasons. And with the cap starting to rise again the year after next, I don't think the cap situation will be all that dire.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:22 PM
LordFletcher

Vanek is very possible but not for anything longer than 4/$20 IMO.

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Beegoalie

Vanek will get his $$$$ so that would be tricky but then again he was a gopher and Pommy is his best buddy..look at what we just pulled off this summer.

Im not ruling out any possibilities..

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:05 AM
Beegoalie

Lets get Pominville signed up long term. Now. Guy is just what we needed. Sign him for 4-5 years and let Granlund, Coyle, Zucker develop to add to Koivu, Parise, Pominville, Setoguchi etc and we have a top 9 to be reckoned with for a long time.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:42 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Lets get Pominville signed up long term. Now. Guy is just what we needed. Sign him for 4-5 years and let Granlund, Coyle, Zucker develop to add to Koivu, Parise, Pominville, Setoguchi etc and we have a top 9 to be reckoned with for a long time.
Can't talk contract with him until after July 1st, I believe. I'm thinking the Wild didn't give up all those assets for him only to have him come in a play a little more than one season. I'm sure Fletcher will do what it takes to ink him to an extension.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:14 PM
DANOZ28

the hockey news mailbag adam proteau. we paid too much for pommer. http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...oo-pricey.html

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:16 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
the hockey news mailbag adam proteau. we paid too much for pommer. http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...oo-pricey.html
Quote:
and I thought that was true when I thought Minnesota was “only” giving up prospects Matt Hackett and Johan Larsson.
Really? This guy either overvalues those two or undervalues Pom.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:21 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
I don't think anyone is denying we overpaid for Pominville, you don't just acquire a player like JP without paying a premium...But we were in a position to do so because we had enough assets were we could afford to overpay. It's not like we mortgaged the entire future of the Wild on this one deal.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I still think we gave up the wrong assets. While we have a lot of prospects, we don't have a lot of good center prospects.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:40 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
I still think we gave up the wrong assets. While we have a lot of prospects, we don't have a lot of good center prospects.
I've heard this argument before and i just cannot agree. What other strengths doesthis system truly have?

LW is just Lucia, Bertschy, and Zucker, RW is Coyle, Fontaine, and Bulmer. Defense is a no go. Goalie was obvious.

Center was the best possibility for us IMO.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote