Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 WHL Bantam Draft

Old
04-06-2013, 10:08 AM
jetsfan1224
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Patrick,Thiessen, Howden, Martin,Kaspick,McCorister,Barley, Loschaivo,Thornton, Kuklica,Schioler,Lavoie, Gula and Kubic. All JR Steelers.

jetsfan1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:19 AM
MBScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPE View Post
IMO: 10 Rural that will be there are: Touchette, Howden, Vaeth (injured), Cross, Loewan, Goethals, Kaspick, Wall, Gula, Schioler (not sure if he is rural)
IMO, the rura list will include Lewis and Binda. Not sure Goethals or Vaeth should be there. Vaeth will need an exemption, as will Schioler. Schioler is one of the top Dmen in the province and deserves an opportunity to make the team so it will be interesting to see what hockey MB does with him.

MBScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:33 AM
MBScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
1. Vancouver Giants - Benson (Franchise forward... definitely worth the pick... have not had a player like him since Brule...)
2. Regina Pats - Clague (I think Pats will end up taking the risk... can transform the team)
3. Prince George Cougars - Patrick (I think they will scoop Brandon)
4. Brandon Wheat Kings - Steel (Really think this would be a nice fit... extremely gifted forward to lead the offense like the days of Glennie-Schenn)
5. Moose Jaw Warriors - Howden (Yeah no brainer)
6. Lethbridge Hurricanes - Quenneville (They're pretty much set up front... have some promising big kids on the blueline... I don't believe Erkamps is a premier WHL puck mover... will need one to feed Estephan and the other forwards)
7. Everett Silvertips - Fabbro (Don't have any franchise potential defensemen... if they are going to rebuild start from the backend)
8. Seattle Thunderbirds - Jost (Older forward group... TBirds could use a potential star talent)
9. Kootenay Ice - Kaelen Anderson (A good kid who can shoulder the load both on and off the ice the next few years)
10. Medicine Hat Tigers - White (They will pretty much have to if he is on the board at 10... incredible natural ability but you wonder about the rest of it)
11. Victoria Royals - Hannoun (Remember Chilliwack... this kid may be short in stature right now but he can carry a team... Royals need that)
12. Swift Current Broncos - Malenstyn (Can give the Broncos a bit of everything up front... have some nice young pieces and Malenstyn would fit their scouting philosophy...)
13. Prince Albert Raiders - Aucoin (Could have the highest potential of any kid not named Benson or Clague... definitely a bit one dimensional but what a dimension...)
14. Red Deer Rebels - Steenbergen (Hometown boy... good two way player... think he could be a team building block both as a player and a person)
15. Tri-City Americans - Kryski (Extremely talented... Americans typically build their game plan around dynamic players like this)
16. Spokane Chiefs - Barberis (Think he can be a solid cornerstone...
good skater and hits well... has a bit of everything for a blueline that will need that soon)
17. Brandon Wheat Kings via Saskatoon Blades - Jevne (One of the underrated kids in this class in my opinion... Wheaties love their power forwards... could be a top liner in the Dub)
18. Calgary Hitmen - Phillips (Hometown boy, fifth in MVP voting... gives complete efforts every night... good skill package)
19. Kamloops Blazers - Skinner (Might be a bit high but the Blazers have crap all for goaltending in the pipeline... really wild upside... I think history would look favorably back on this pick if this is what Kamloops did)
20. Vancouver Giants via Edmonton Oil Kings - Volcan (If the Giants are going Benson first they should find him a conscientious partner for the future... love Volcan and he is a worker)
21. Kelowna Rockets - Josh Anderson (The Rockets are great at molding future D... Anderson has a ton of tools to work with)
22. Seattle Thunderbirds via Portland Winterhawks - Thiessen (Has the leadership traits and wide array of skills to contribute in a bunch of ways even if he cannot translate his offense)
Great list. Brandon wont be happy if they get scooped, as I think Patrick is their guy. Cant go wrong with Steel either, as he is a talent. But perhpas if Brandon doesnt get Patrick, they pick Howden? What do you think?

MBScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:13 PM
monkeywrench

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBScout View Post
Great list. Brandon wont be happy if they get scooped, as I think Patrick is their guy. Cant go wrong with Steel either, as he is a talent. But perhpas if Brandon doesnt get Patrick, they pick Howden? What do you think?
I think they have really strong interest in Quenneville.

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:25 PM
BigDuke

Wouldnt be surprised...

For some reason McCrimmon loves his MB players... if Patrick gets picked before Wheaties pick, wouldn't be surprised if they go for Howden. Which is a BIG mistake. He is not a top 10 prospect, first round maaaybe. Steel is your man at 4, if that's what would happen. Although I am hearing good things about Quennville from the weekend. What about this Hannoun fella...

BigDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:43 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Howden is easily top 10 material. Easily.

AlbertaHockey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:07 PM
dumpitandchaseit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke View Post
For some reason McCrimmon loves his MB players... if Patrick gets picked before Wheaties pick, wouldn't be surprised if they go for Howden. Which is a BIG mistake. He is not a top 10 prospect, first round maaaybe. Steel is your man at 4, if that's what would happen. Although I am hearing good things about Quennville from the weekend. What about this Hannoun fella...
I think Howden is a solid 10-15 pick in the first round. I think Moose Jaw will look at him at 5 and I think Brandon would like him with their pick at 17 ( Saskatoon's pick for ferland trade ). If Patrick isn't there at 4 then I would guess Steele would be there 1st choice and Quinneville there 2nd choice.

dumpitandchaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:10 PM
SNIPE
Wheaties #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaHockey20 View Post
Howden is easily top 10 material. Easily.
Agreed, Howden is a top 10 pick. I will go so far as to say that he will be taken in the top 5.

SNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:40 PM
AlbertaHockey20

I'll do my draft rankings later and decide exactly where I'd put Howden, but he's definitely in the top 12. Probably in the 5-12 range.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

Not much talk of Beck Malenstyn here. I strongly think he will fall between the 5-10 mark. VERY dominate in this years KIBIHT. Very strong showing throughout the year. If he has a strong BC CUP, it will raise his rankings more

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:28 PM
AlbertaHockey20

I see no way we cracks the top 8, no matter what he does at the BC Cup. The top end of this draft is much too strong.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:39 PM
IDC

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out what a Bandam Draft is??? Is that like a Bantam draft?

IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:46 PM
jetsfan1224
Rookie User

This is all a guessing game. In three years I bet the kid that maks the most impact is not even on your Radar. Most of these kids they are high on are already men. What happens when others with equal skill now are the same size? Some of these players no doubt will be great WHL players but the facts are most will not!

Old
04-08-2013, 02:34 PM
dumpitandchaseit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Not much talk of Beck Malenstyn here. I strongly think he will fall between the 5-10 mark. VERY dominate in this years KIBIHT. Very strong showing throughout the year. If he has a strong BC CUP, it will raise his rankings more

I like the Malenstyn kid but with the deep depth of high end talent this year, being a top 8 selection may be difficult. I would suspect a mid 1st round selection. Nothing wrong with being a mid 1st round selection !!!!!!!!!

Old
04-08-2013, 02:39 PM
dumpitandchaseit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan1224 View Post
Patrick,Thiessen, Howden, Martin,Kaspick,McCorister,Barley, Loschaivo,Thornton, Kuklica,Schioler,Lavoie, Gula and Kubic. All JR Steelers.
Wow! That's 14 kids from one team and I would suspect most of those names will make that team. Team manitoba might be closer to 90% if they only take a 17 player roster.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:56 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan1224 View Post
This is all a guessing game. In three years I bet the kid that maks the most impact is not even on your Radar. Most of these kids they are high on are already men. What happens when others with equal skill now are the same size? Some of these players no doubt will be great WHL players but the facts are most will not!
Well that is a given... in every draft year a later pick or two will make 100 before them look silly

You look at a kid (just an example) like Cory Babichuk from CAC... no one is going to give him a second look in the first few rounds because he is 5'4 115... however his pedigree is something else... was among the best in AA last year best defenseman for CAC in 2012... then he steps up to AAA and doesn't miss a beat... cracked North team at Alberta Cup too so that tells you he is an all-province talent... love his puck management skills and his containment game is of a player much bigger and older... third on that team in points to give you some idea of his offensive skills... he had the Benson assignment in the playoffs and did o.k. with it

We'll see if he grows or remains a squirt... but as you say these kids are so young that it is certainly possible... make this player 5'11 and he is a premier player at the next level... an easy top four defender on a WHL team... maybe even better than that

On the other hand teams will have more time for his teammate Bronson Littlechilds... he's 5'10 so that gets your eyes right away... and his first step is probably the best in the Alberta group... just mind blowing acceleration... however he has trouble creating plays... can finish them with good skill but he will skate himself into corners if he has to be the first up ice with it... just don't think he has that extra mental gear... also pays little attention to his end... scouts will see his size and speed and think there could be something there... me I think if he remakes his game he could be another Darren Helm... but if he tries to play his way in the WHL he will not even break camp

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitals03 View Post
So is it fair to say that for Alberta and BC, it will be the Edmonton Mercury vs the Vancouver Vipers. or at least 95% of the players.
Vipers/Millionaires but essentially yes, both of those teams will be highly represented/drafted.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:01 PM
jetsfan1224
Rookie User

Quote:
Well that is a given... in every draft year a later pick or two will make 100 before them look silly

You look at a kid (just an example) like Cory Babichuk from CAC... no one is going to give him a second look in the first few rounds because he is 5'4 115... however his pedigree is something else... was among the best in AA last year best defenseman for CAC in 2012... then he steps up to AAA and doesn't miss a beat... cracked North team at Alberta Cup too so that tells you he is an all-province talent... love his puck management skills and his containment game is of a player much bigger and older... third on that team in points to give you some idea of his offensive skills... he had the Benson assignment in the playoffs and did o.k. with it

We'll see if he grows or remains a squirt... but as you say these kids are so young that it is certainly possible... make this player 5'11 and he is a premier player at the next level... an easy top four defender on a WHL team... maybe even better than that

On the other hand teams will have more time for his teammate Bronson Littlechilds... he's 5'10 so that gets your eyes right away... and his first step is probably the best in the Alberta group... just mind blowing acceleration... however he has trouble creating plays... can finish them with good skill but he will skate himself into corners if he has to be the first up ice with it... just don't think he has that extra mental gear... also pays little attention to his end... scouts will see his size and speed and think there could be something there... me I think if he remakes his game he could be another Darren Helm... but if he tries to play his way in the WHL he will not even break camp
Very good insight and discussion. I don't know those kids being from Manitoba but I suspect that theory could be applied right here as well. I guess we will see in a few years what the outcome is.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:25 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Quote:

Cory Babichuk performed very well this year. His size is definitely going to hurt him come draft day. Not every scout is blind to these things you noticed though.

Littlechilds has a lot of red flags in my opinion. 15 goals in AA to 4 goals in AAA and a drop in points per game that is above the average of AA players jumping to AAA. Despite his size his offensive upside is not that high.

Babichuk's points per game also dropped at an above the average. However, on his AA team he was playing power play with Josh Harris (who jumped from Bantam AA directly to Major Midget AAA). Harris being such an outlier last year screws pretty badly with the stats in general. Team mate Dalton Middleton has the same situation.

Also, consider that CAC played a very strict defensive style which influences these things.

Likewise, note Clinton Veinot on Sherwood Park making a massive points jump moving from AA to AAA. However, this is likely caused by another outlier, Sam Steel. Veinot was playing with Steel while Biro and McKenzie were injured.

Speaking of CAC I think that Benjamin Gerbrandt, while not likely to be drafted, is a guy I would seriously consider keeping my eye on for the future or for Junior A.

Furthermore, I would add that there are several 1998 players within Alberta at the AA level that should get consideration for the draft, but will not.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:29 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Does anyone know whether Yukon and NWT are subject to the WHL draft?

Old
04-08-2013, 07:04 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Speaking of CAC I think that Benjamin Gerbrandt, while not likely to be drafted, is a guy I would seriously consider keeping my eye on for the future or for Junior A.
Gerbrandt plays like a lot of Jr. A kids I agree... plenty of heart and fire... lethal with time space and a lane... but you don't get those things easily in major junior and he does not have the speed to create them on his own... you wonder how many points he gets this year on another team where he is not the shooter by default

I hope he plays as long as possible because he has a lot of try... you like to see kids like that rewarded with long healthy careers that let them enjoy the game... the WHL draft age I think breeds a lot of egos at a time in your life and career when you should be about your team and development... not draft position... they start thinking about this at age 12 for goodness sake... not as bad as the way it was before '90... but still silly

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:19 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Quote:
Gerbrandt plays like a lot of Jr. A kids I agree... plenty of heart and fire... lethal with time space and a lane... but you don't get those things easily in major junior and he does not have the speed to create them on his own... you wonder how many points he gets this year on another team where he is not the shooter by default

I hope he plays as long as possible because he has a lot of try... you like to see kids like that rewarded with long healthy careers that let them enjoy the game... the WHL draft age I think breeds a lot of egos at a time in your life and career when you should be about your team and development... not draft position... they start thinking about this at age 12 for goodness sake... not as bad as the way it was before '90... but still silly
A kid like him gets a lot better over time. The work ethic you mentioned is already showing in his development curve. He is getting better faster than most of his peers. This is a character attribute that smart scouts look at. His ceiling might be higher than you think. I'd also note that he played well against the tougher teams and has about average size, so that shouldn't work against him.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Does anyone know whether Yukon and NWT are subject to the WHL draft?
Yes.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:02 PM
BigDuke

The Top 4 is settled then?

Benson
Clague
Patrick
Steel

Anyway this order could NOT happen?

BigDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:12 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke View Post
Benson
Clague
Patrick
Steel

Anyway this order could NOT happen?
Patrick had a great Westerns and could go higher. Or Steel could go higher as a lot of people including scouts are high on his speed and hockey sense. Personally I feel that in the long run that Steel will be the best player to come out of this draft. Quennville could easily sneak into the top three even and depending on what teams like, Fabbro could go as early as fourth, but I doubt that he'll move into the top five.

Ultimately I would rank it:
1) F - Sam Steel (Sherwood Park BAAA)
2) F - Tyler Benson (Edmonton SSAC BAAA)
3) D - Kale Clague (Lloydminister BAAA)
4) F - Nolan Patrick (Winnipeg Hawks BAAA)
5) D - David Quennville (Edmonton SSAC BAAA)
6) F - Brett Howden (Eastmen Selects MAAA)
7) D - Dante Fabbro (BWC BAAA)
8) F - Tyson Jost (POE BAAA)
9) F - Kaden Elder (Notre Dame BAAA)
10) F - Tak Anholt (NSWC BAAA)