HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Sweden Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Has Eriksson played with the Sedins before with any success?

Old
04-08-2013, 02:04 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Has Eriksson played with the Sedins before with any success?
Don't think so. 2010 Olympics he played with Backstrom and Alfredsson. Last World Champs he played with Zetterberg and Franzen. Both times "his" line was Sweden's best.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Huffman

I'd try Eriksson with the Sedins, he's so good at finding the net from close range and the line you put him on always seems to work. Zetterberg is a guy that can play with pretty much any wingers, he was dominant at the WC and he should play center on this team. Then we have Backstrom as the third center playing with some gritty guy who can score, Steen fits there perfectly.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Don't think so. 2010 Olympics he played with Backstrom and Alfredsson. Last World Champs he played with Zetterberg and Franzen. Both times "his" line was Sweden's best.
Thanks. It seemed like a match made in heaven. A big bodied finisher on a line with two of the best playmakers in the world. I just couldn't remember for the life of me who he played with last time around. I remember seeing him in one game in Vancouver for the Olympics and since then he's been one of my favorite players as I follow him now in the NHL intently but to be honest, I don't watch the World Championships.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Darth Yoda

Yes we can try the Eriksson thing!

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Zetterberg-Bäckström-Franzen
Landeskog-Steen-Alfredsson
Thörnberg-Lundqvist-Hörnqvist
Berglund/Stålberg

I do not believe youngsters like Zibanejad and Silfverberg has what it takes in a best on best environment. Remember when Jarome Iginla used to struggle although being one of the best in the NHL? This is a whole other ballpark. But, it's up to them to prove it from now in that they atleast can be regular NHL stars.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Thörnberg... Is Båg gonna come back? There are waaay too many HQ swedish forwards for Thörnberg to have a shot.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Thörnberg... Is Båg gonna come back? There are waaay too many HQ swedish forwards for Thörnberg to have a shot.
You're talking about guys like Zibanejad? Lets see him check like Thörnberg is capable of before we call him an effective "HQ-player". This is Crosby and Stamkos perhaps on the same line we're talking about coming. And, this is on big ice and Thörnberg does his thing in the KHL on a daily basis.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:15 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Berglund/Stålberg

I do not believe youngsters like Zibanejad and Silfverberg has what it takes in a best on best environment. Remember when Jarome Iginla used to struggle although being one of the best in the NHL? This is a whole other ballpark. But, it's up to them to prove it from now in that they atleast can be regular NHL stars.
But guys like Lundqvist and Thornberg do?

Zibanejad is a beast. If he's not there it'll be a huge mistake for Sweden. He's Ottawa's best forward. Best points per game and best +/-. He and Silfverberg are the best defensive forwards on the Senators.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:07 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
But guys like Lundqvist and Thornberg do?

Zibanejad is a beast. If he's not there it'll be a huge mistake for Sweden. He's Ottawa's best forward. Best points per game and best +/-. He and Silfverberg are the best defensive forwards on the Senators.

Zibanejad and Silfverberg are not grinders. You need guys like Thornberg and Lundqvist on the team. Heck even Pettersson. Thornberg - Lundqvist - Pettersson. Ultimate checking-line. All 3 guys could play in NHL, no doubt.

Sedin - Sedin - Steen
Eriksson - Zetterberg - Franzen
Hagelin - Backstrom - Landeskog
Thornberg - Lundqvist - Pettersson

Old
04-09-2013, 10:55 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Zibanejad and Silfverberg are not grinders. You need guys like Thornberg and Lundqvist on the team. Heck even Pettersson. Thornberg - Lundqvist - Pettersson. Ultimate checking-line. All 3 guys could play in NHL, no doubt.

Sedin - Sedin - Steen
Pettersson as in Fredrik? Please. None of those 3 could play in the NHL. None. Lundqvist simply just wasn't good enough to stick.

I don't think you know anything about Zibanejad.... If I had to call one of Zib or Lundqvist a grinder, it would Zib. He'd be Sweden's most physical forward behind Landeskog.

I mean you clearly haven't seen Zib play. Or even looked at his stats.

Picking those guys above Zib would be like Canada picking AHL players over Bergeron.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:37 AM
helax
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Sedin - Sedin - Steen
Try a checkingline with Eriksson, Stålberg and Berglund, instead of Thörnberg, Lundqvist (he injured all the time anyway) and Pettersson...

Old
04-09-2013, 12:28 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by helax View Post
Try a checkingline with Eriksson, Stålberg and Berglund, instead of Thörnberg, Lundqvist (he injured all the time anyway) and Pettersson...

but they are not checkers. and eriksson needs to be on top 6. eriksson - zetterberg - franzen was fantastic in whc.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:33 PM
novon04

The swedish players who can keep up with the intensity and pace of the NHL play in the NHL, those who can't play in the SEL or KHL. Players like Lundqvist and Pettersson would be "exposed" quickly in a tournament with all the best NHLers.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:33 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Pettersson as in Fredrik? Please. None of those 3 could play in the NHL. None. Lundqvist simply just wasn't good enough to stick.

I don't think you know anything about Zibanejad.... If I had to call one of Zib or Lundqvist a grinder, it would Zib. He'd be Sweden's most physical forward behind Landeskog.

yes, the would be good 3/4 line players right now.

Zibanejad more grinder than Lundqvist??? Ask anyone here...nobody will agree. Lundqvist is 100 % checker. Zibanejad is a goalscorer with a physical edge.

And I like Zibanejad and his grit but you need to chill about him..still very young and not even played one full NHL season.

Last edited by landskronala: 04-09-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old
04-09-2013, 01:06 PM
helax
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Zibanejad more grinder than Lundqvist??? Ask anyone here...nobody will agree. Lundqvist is 100 % checker. Zibanejad is a goalscorer with a physical edge.

And I like Zibanejad and his grit but you need to chill about him..still very young and not even played one full NHL season.
But Lundquist is not good enough.... Hes not even a super star in SEL, and we all know SEL <<< NHL
We need a checking line for sure, but we have Stalberg and Berglund in NHL who is so much better then Lundquist and Petterson, add Zibby to that and you have yourself a really fast and gritty checking line!

Old
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
But Lundquist is not good enough.... Hes not even a super star in SEL, and we all know SEL <<< NHL
We need a checking line for sure, but we have Stalberg and Berglund in NHL who is so much better then Lundquist and Petterson, add Zibby to that and you have yourself a really fast and gritty checking line!

Hagelin - Steen - Landeskog

That could work.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
helax
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hagelin - Steen - Landeskog

That could work.
Hagelin is fast but is fighting in flyweight If you want a gritty line switch him out to someone heavier.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
That's becouse Lundqvist is counted upon to be a two way performer in the SEL. If he is ask to simply check and shut the opponents down he can do that, especially on large ice.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Huffman

I wouldn't have any SEL or KHL-players on the team, just look at how good a guy like Marcus Johansson was in the EHT this year, he can play on a 4th line and he's used to playing on a much higher level than Lundqvist, Pettersson etc. They are good players in Europe but having a Thornberg - Lundqvist - Pettersson line trying to shut down one of the Canadian, Russian or American top lines is very naive IMO. They are not used to playing against that type of skill, speed and strength.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Tomas W

Quote:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Berglund/Stålberg

Thörnberg? Y?

Old
04-10-2013, 12:30 PM
helax
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's becouse Lundqvist is counted upon to be a two way performer in the SEL. If he is ask to simply check and shut the opponents down he can do that, especially on large ice.
He was best in Frolunda in points, with 33 or something. But he was only on 9th place in Frolunda with +- 3. Not great numbers for a "great" shutdown player.

Last edited by helax: 04-10-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
He was best in Frolunda in points, with 33 or something. But he was only on 9th place in Frolunda with +- 3. Not great numbers for a "great" shutdown player.
He was a +2 in the regular season and -2 in the playoffs. But that's what i'm saying, he is counted upon to play a complete game in the SEL. He cant be in two places at once so to say.

Now he is in the shape of his life, 31 years old, a man and not a boy like some in the NHL. It should be said though that i believe it is a bigger chance Thörnberg makes the team.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:45 AM
jfc64

I think our 23 players can be found among these:

Sedin - Sedin - Zetterberg
Eriksson - Bäckström - Alfredsson (Hörnqvist, Johansson)
Steen - Berglund - Zibanejad
Hagelin - Söderberg or Lundqvist - Landeskog or Franzén
Stålberg - Krüger - Silfverberg

Ekman-Larsson - Karlsson
Kronwall or Gunnarsson - Hedman
Hjalmarsson - Enström
Brodin or Edler - Grossmann

Lundqvist Fasth
Lehner Markström

Breakthru players? OEL and the new Z, Zibanejad!

Old
04-12-2013, 10:22 AM
MAK19

Quote:

To me, grinder means a physical forward who is good along the boards and creates energy. That's not the same as defensive forward, because you can be defensive without being very physical.

That said, Zibanejad is both a better grinder and defensive forward than Lundqvist. Like I said, Zibanejad and Silfverberg are the best defensive forwards on the Ottawa Senators. The Senators are one of the best defensive teams in the world.

Zibanejad played head to head against Giroux and Voracek yesterday. He completely completely shut them down at even strength (Giroux scored when Ottawa was on the PP and thinking offense - bad pinch by the defenseman).

Zibanejad only had 1 shot in the game. But he played very well and after the game one poster came out and said: ''He'll be a top 10 player in the game''. He's drawing comparisons to Jason Spezza because of his puckhandling and passing. And to Ryan Kesler because of his defensive ability and physical play.

Quote:
No he can't. Not against the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, Malkin, ...

If anyone on the Swedes should play the shutdown role, it's Zetterberg. Providing he is still playing at a high level. That's what Zetterberg does for a living in the NHL. Put Landeskog on his wing and you have a very good defensive line.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
If anyone on the Swedes should play the shutdown role, it's Zetterberg. Providing he is still playing at a high level. That's what Zetterberg does for a living in the NHL. Put Landeskog on his wing and you have a very good defensive line.
We are allready counting with Zetterberg obviously. When it comes to the other shutdown players, i guess we're just gonna have to see who gets picked and not. Personally i believe you're a prime example of a homer promoting Senators players.

We'll see what the roster looks like.

Closed Thread