HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who should the Flyers amnesty?

Old
04-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Oranges

vCash: 500
Im a bit confused with buy outs. If we buy out Briere is his cap hit completely gone?

Oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranges View Post
Im a bit confused with buy outs. If we buy out Briere is his cap hit completely gone?
With a compliance buy-out? Yes, it eliminates the cap hit.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
With a compliance buy-out? Yes, it eliminates the cap hit.
Does he still get paid by the Flyers?

Oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranges View Post
Does he still get paid by the Flyers?
Yes he does.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:27 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I know it can't be done due to his injury but, in some magical world where it would be possible, I would like to see an amnesty buyout used on Pronger.

I wouldn't buy out Bryz this summer, unless Luongo is bought out this year and the Flyers can convince him to sign. If the Flyers keep Bryz through 2013/14 and his play doesn't improve, I'd definitely buy him out next summer.

If Briere can't be moved in the summer, I'd buy him out this year.

I wouldn't consider using an amnesty buyout on anyone else.

04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
dats81

Briere and Mesz should both still be tradeable when healthy.

Briere is more valuable since a lot of teams are looking for secondary scoring. Not sure which destinations Briere would possibly accept - those who can take on his cap hit are most likely the least desireable for him.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Esq.

You said this about Briere: " If he still wants to stay in Philly, perhaps the GM can sign him to a drastically smaller cap hit."

I am pretty sure that a players is not allowed to re-sign with the team that just bought him out.

Edit: Also, you can't buy out Pronger because he is on LTIR. And even if he gets healthy, there is no way they would buy him out.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Briere and Mesz should both still be tradeable when healthy.

Briere is more valuable since a lot of teams are looking for secondary scoring. Not sure which destinations Briere would possibly accept - those who can take on his cap hit are most likely the least desireable for him.
Briere has no reason to waive his NMC in leiu of being bought out. The thought this year was that he might consider it to get an extra shot at the cup, but that's not a factor in the offseason.

I suppose that he might accept a deal next year at the deadline--but that would only make sense if the Flyers were out of it again.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SolidSnakeUS

If they are bought out, they cannot re-sign with the team in the same off-season.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:47 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Why are some people so concerned with buying out Pronger?

We all know he can't be BO while he's injured, but he will be on LTIR for the rest of his contract. I'm not worried about his cap hit in the offseason, MGM will figure out a way to make that all work.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:50 PM
G Money

until briere sucks in the playoffs i think we should keep him

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:04 PM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
until briere sucks in the playoffs i think we should keep him
So we should have dumped him after last season?

StoneHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:07 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Why are some people so concerned with buying out Pronger?

We all know he can't be BO while he's injured, but he will be on LTIR for the rest of his contract. I'm not worried about his cap hit in the offseason, MGM will figure out a way to make that all work.
LITR still counts against the cap during the offseason. Teams cannot exceed 110% of the salary cap during the offseason... his cap hit basically almost negates that extra 10% for the Flyers.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:57 PM
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
So we should have dumped him after last season?
why 13 pts in 11 games isn't good enough for you ?

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
I don't think Briere will be bought out, unless they sign someone who's very expensive. As long as the cap space buying him out would bring is not needed, we'll keep him. If we miss the playoffs, his trade value will be incredibly high at the deadline. If we make them, we'll be happy to have him around. In 2014, when we'll have to sign Read, Giroux, Couturier and more, they'll amnesty him if he's still there. I don't see why we would amnesty him this summer.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:03 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 559
I'll stick with the theme.

Pronger can't be bought out!

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
why 13 pts in 11 games isn't good enough for you ?
It is but since we're more than likely not making the playoffs this year Briere's useless. We have to get the cap number down and I rather it be a guy playing below average and aging with big caphit than having to trade away an actual player of value and part of our plans for the future.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Phunhog

What has the universe done to deserve a another year? He has disappointed for two years now. He *** sucks, ship his ass out on the next train to Clarksville.

Phunhog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:38 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
LITR still counts against the cap during the offseason. Teams cannot exceed 110% of the salary cap during the offseason... his cap hit basically almost negates that extra 10% for the Flyers.
Which I said I was aware of...

There are bigger fish to fry than Pronger, much bigger. Briere and Bryz almost 100% need to be bought out. Pronger is like 10th on the buyout list since you can LTIR him, plus he only makes that list if he is healthy.

The offseason hit really won't matter, IMO, since the cap should rise significantly fairly quickly.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:38 PM
CTU2fan

I would hope Homer would make a serious effort to move Briere this spring. Obviously his NMC is an issue, but he should still have some value to a team with an internal budget rather than a cap team. I would even go so far as to tell Danny and his agent that we'd like to move him, ask him where he'd like to go/be willing to go, and make the best deal you can. Obviously Danny can be a d*ck about it, refuse to waive for anyone, and force them to use the amnesty. But I'm not aware of any kind of acrimony between Danny and the FO so hopefully it doesn't come to that. It is possible that the other team just refuses to deal, sits back, and waits for him to be bought out; hopefully a couple of teams are interested and one club steps up and makes the deal so they don't have to bid for him as a FA.

Meszaros shouldn't be all that hard to move, as has been discussed earlier. No sense wasting the amnesty on him.

Which leaves Pronger and Bryz. I'm still convinced that neither the league or the NHLPA would have an issue with Pronger being "cleared" in a paper move, for the purposes of buying him out. Especially since there's no LTIR in the summer anyway (or has that changed?) Until some team tries to buy out a guy who's forced to retire d/t injury and is denied (say, Boston and Savard or somebody) I'll continue to believe it wouldn't be an issue.

Bryz I think you wait til next summer. Bring him back, pair him with Mason, see what you have in both guys at the end of the season. If Bryz is lousy then amnesty him then.

So I'd do Pronger this summer, or Briere if he absolutely can't be dealt, and save the other one for Bryz next summer. And if Bryz suddenly becomes awesome next year, well, it's a nice issue to have.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:05 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
First and foremost should be Briere. Mez can be traded, even if it's a low pick (maybe a 3rd or 4th?) and if he's healthy.
Healthy is the key, I guess, but if they only got a 3rd or 4th for a healthy Mez, i'd be livid. Think about what they've traded in the past for aging, rental dmen.

flyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:52 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Healthy is the key, I guess, but if they only got a 3rd or 4th for a healthy Mez, i'd be livid. Think about what they've traded in the past for aging, rental dmen.
Well that's the question. If he's healthy and productive no need to amnesty him, but if he's awful he's likely injured. But if we're talking about amnestying him then getting anything at all for him is the better option.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Jack de la Hoya

What's the point of buying out Mezsaros?

He's only signed for one more year, right? We don't need the money until his contract expires anyway. Seems a waste.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
What has the universe done to deserve a another year? He has disappointed for two years now. He *** sucks, ship his ass out on the next train to Clarksville.
I agree that Bryz should be gone. Makes way too much money, shows flashes of brilliance but ends up being pretty average overall. Buy him out and sign a decent UFA.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:48 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
What's the point of buying out Mezsaros?

He's only signed for one more year, right? We don't need the money until his contract expires anyway. Seems a waste.
Yeah he's a UFA next summer. I'm sure on other teams he would be an option since he hasn't been in the lineup that much the last two years and has some what of a high caphit. If a team got caught in a pinch for cap space and didn't have any other bad contracts.

On the Flyers though we have don't that luxury with other horrible contracts like Briere and Bryz.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote