HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Nicky Santoro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

0.7 in NY. I thought you were so good at these predictions?

0.8 nationally...pretty on par with where other games have

been.

WOW. are you serious?? 0.7 in NY??? how is that possible?? knicks on abc with the streak vs one of the best, and they won. NYY were playing... NYM were playing... that is the most surprising stat i have ever seen. IU, you sure you're not misreading it and it's really 0.07 not 0.7??

And even that 0.8 on nbc is great. i wasn't that far off. i said 0.6...with all that was going on yesterday in sports with baseball, the NYK playing on ABC and also tigers vs yanks, that 0.8 is superb.

But how is it possible that last week.. CHI/DET (and CHI is huge in ratings) get only a tad more than yesterday (1.0) and there was no nba at all, no baseball at all.. something is not adding up.

thanks for the info, IU.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
northeastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
The Bruins got bumped to NESN+ because the Red Sox own 80% of the network and the Bruins own 20%.

Only time, per the ownership agreement, the Sox get moved is for a Bruins playoff game.

No conspiracy theory needed.
I am fairly confident that bruins do not always get bumped to nesn+ because of the Sox. Bruins regular season games will go on nesn over regular season Sox once the opening day and Yankee Sox stuff passes.

It will be interesting to see how they compare head on. I know Sox are not as popular as they have been in the past.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
WOW. are you serious?? 0.7 in NY??? how is that possible?? knicks on abc with the streak vs one of the best, and they won. NYY were playing... NYM were playing... that is the most surprising stat i have ever seen. IU, you sure you're not misreading it and it's really 0.07 not 0.7??

And even that 0.8 on nbc is great. i wasn't that far off. i said 0.6...with all that was going on yesterday in sports with baseball, the NYK playing on ABC and also tigers vs yanks, that 0.8 is superb.

But how is it possible that last week.. CHI/DET (and CHI is huge in ratings) get only a tad more than yesterday (1.0) and there was no nba at all, no baseball at all.. something is not adding up.

thanks for the info, IU.
Maybe because NBA games have little to no effect on NHL ratings. NBA fans and NHL fans are completely different.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Maybe because NBA games have little to no effect on NHL ratings. NBA fans and NHL fans are completely different.
I disagree.. there are a lot of fans that only love basketball and not hockey.. however, there are tons of sports fans who love all sports and watch basketball and hockey.. i figured out why nbc got 0.8.. it's because of 2 reasons. 1- Alot of STL fans tuned in because Cards were not playing.. and 2-.. Tigers lost 7-0 and were never in the game.. so detroit fans decided to tune in the hockey game. who wants to watch your team getting blownout. it was a blowout from the get go.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Wingsfan2965*

He's absolutely right about the NHL and NBA not effecting each other... At least not in the regular season. Opposite demographics racially.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
He's absolutely right about the NHL and NBA not effecting each other... At least not in the regular season. Opposite demographics racially.
That's a myth. Upwards of 2/3rds of the NBA fanbase is white.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
thank you, tarheel. i don't get what these guys are saying here. are you telling me that not one person in america that loves basketball, doesn't also love hockey?? well, i like hockey and i also like to watch basketball.. so there's at least 1 right there that watches both. this is crazy saying that no one that likes basketball, also likes hockey. i'll even go and say that there are millions upon millions in the u.s. that love basketball and also like hockey. are you saying that every celtic fan in boston and every bulls fan in chicago and every sixer fan in philly that like basketball, dont watch hockey?? i'll even bet that there are tons of posters in this thread watch basketball and hockey.. not just 1. a sports fan usually watches multiple sports.. he likes baseball, loves football, likes basketball and hockey.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
thank you, tarheel. i don't get what these guys are saying here. are you telling me that not one person in america that loves basketball, doesn't also love hockey?? well, i like hockey and i also like to watch basketball.. so there's at least 1 right there that watches both. this is crazy saying that no one that likes basketball, also likes hockey. i'll even go and say that there are millions upon millions in the u.s. that love basketball and also like hockey. are you saying that every celtic fan in boston and every bulls fan in chicago and every sixer fan in philly that like basketball, dont watch hockey?? i'll even bet that there are tons of posters in this thread watch basketball and hockey.. not just 1. a sports fan usually watches multiple sports.. he likes baseball, loves football, likes basketball and hockey.
In Boston, the Celtics fan is more of the casual fan so they cross over. The Bruins fan though? I don't know many who watch basketball.

But usually the sum of the Celtics and Bruins regular season ratings are on par with the Red Sox.. so there are sides picked during the winter months.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:00 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
IU, you sure you're not misreading it and it's really 0.07 not 0.7?? .
Not possible, they always round to a tenth, so that would come up 0.1

Old
04-08-2013, 02:33 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
I disagree.. there are a lot of fans that only love basketball and not hockey.. however, there are tons of sports fans who love all sports and watch basketball and hockey.. i figured out why nbc got 0.8.. it's because of 2 reasons. 1- Alot of STL fans tuned in because Cards were not playing.. and 2-.. Tigers lost 7-0 and were never in the game.. so detroit fans decided to tune in the hockey game. who wants to watch your team getting blownout. it was a blowout from the get go.
You're very wrong here.

Wings did a 3.9 in market

Tigers did a 10.6

So much for 'Hockeytown'

Old
04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Only because they outnumber blacks nationally.

Quote:
You're very wrong here.

Tigers did a 10.6

So much for 'Hockeytown'
To be fair they were playing the Yankees.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Nicky Santoro

Here is all the weekend ratings in sports..

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/8/419...final-four-mlb

I noticed americans really really love their college basketball. my god, 10.2.. wow. Also, i was shocked that not that much tuned in to NYK/OKLA (2.8), but much more liked the LAL/LAC (3.6) And i also noticed that MLB on FOX doesn't get good ratings. they got only 2.3 and that's for 3 regional coverage games. i learnt recently that in hockey, they add up all the games at same time to make 1 rating. so does this mean that the avg got 0.8 for each game on FOX? that is not good.

and the NHL on NBC did indeed get its lowest rating of the yr. not much of a surprise there.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
You're very wrong here.

Tigers did a 10.6

So much for 'Hockeytown'
you scare me my friend. amazing how you get access to all those ratings??? you really are the man in this place... man, the info you get is mind boggling. if i knew how to get all that info you get, i swear i'd never leave the house. i'd be doing everyday all the mlb daily local tv ratings, nba, nhl, and nfl and i'd be comparing them to nhl.. and i'd never get bored either. i am obsessed with all this ratings stuff and you have the goods. you are 1 lucky man.

i was right though about DET vs NYY game will affect the NHL on NBC rating.. going for sweep vs NYY and Verlander on the mound. but i had no idea it was going to get 10.6.. wow. how the hell did they get that high when they were never in the game. don't people turn the channel when it's 7-0???

Old
04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
you scare me my friend. amazing how you get access to all those ratings??? you really are the man in this place... man, the info you get is mind boggling. if i knew how to get all that info you get, i swear i'd never leave the house. i'd be doing everyday all the mlb daily local tv ratings, nba, nhl, and nfl and i'd be comparing them to nhl.. and i'd never get bored either. i am obsessed with all this ratings stuff and you have the goods. you are 1 lucky man.
Yeah, a lot of my job consists of me checking to make sure that commercials aired at enough points and what not, so I'm looking at these pages all the time anyways.
Quote:
i was right though about DET vs NYY game will affect the NHL on NBC rating.. going for sweep vs NYY and Verlander on the mound. but i had no idea it was going to get 10.6.. wow. how the hell did they get that high when they were never in the game. don't people turn the channel when it's 7-0???
It was 3-0 after 7. They weren't blown out in the 2nd or 3rd.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post

To be fair they were playing the Yankees.
Don't think it'll matter for them, they're the AL champs. Have to compare against other games, so far the day games during the week were in the 6s, but that's not a good sample during the work day.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Only because they outnumber blacks nationally.
And that has what to do with the demographics of the NBA audience?

Old
04-08-2013, 04:16 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Heck about 2/3rds of the USA population is white, non Hispanic/Latino.

How many 3rds of the NHL fanbase is white? Either way doesn't mean all white guys love the NBA basketball, and we know not all wihite guys love the NHL, and probably 90% of white guys love the NFL and/or college football.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with race.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
And that has what to do with the demographics of the NBA audience?
lets not get too sensitive here about race.. but whether we like it or not, i'm not saying all, but a very big percentage of those 1/3rd non whites don't watch hockey. for the last 2 weeks, i have been looking in the stands during games, and i swear, it is so rare i see a non white. Hockey is basically a very white sport.

that is why NHL will NEVER surpass the NBA. not only because it's only played in a portion of the U.S and basketball is played everywhere.. but because it's going to be tough to overcome the extra 1/3rd of non whites who prefer basketball. hockey is playing short handed.

also, i bet if we took a poll in only the north east states, or where there is cold winters, i bet hockey destroys basketball in liking the sport more. Philly, Boston, Washington, Chicago, Minnesota, and Detroit. Those cities is where hockey has bigger ratings than their basketball team. And i'm not even including PIT, BUF, STL who don't have an NBA team, who are doing good in the ratings. So that proves that hockey is bigger in cold states than basketball in the U.S. And all those states have a lot of non whites, so once again, hockey is still playing shorthanded to basketball, and hockey still beats them.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
You're very wrong here.

Tigers did a 10.6

So much for 'Hockeytown'
Shocking... Outrated by a team that went to the World Series, is in the beginning of the season, and was playing the biggest team in the league.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Shocking... Outrated by a team that went to the World Series, is in the beginning of the season, and was playing the biggest team in the league.
for a long period of time, when you thought of Detroit, you thought right away.. HOCKEYTOWN. and back then, the wings were destroying the tigers in tv ratings and popularity. looks like the passing of the torch. Detroit no longer is hockeytown.. it's now Baseballtown. A sad day indeed.

Old
04-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

it's a marketing slogan, always was and never had anything to do with the relative popularity of the Red Wings or anything like that. There have been periods in the ~20 years of it's use when the Tigers, Lions, Pistons and even possibly Michigan football have rated higher than the Red Wings. The Wings are mediocre to bad and the Tigers are good, them's the facts.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:13 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

4 Chicago teams in action last night:
Hawks - 4.5 (CSN and NBCSN combined)
Bulls - 1.5
Cubs - 2.4
Sox 2.1

FWIW, Sox and Cubs were both on OTA channels, Bulls & Hawks on cable.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:56 AM
2mannings1cup

Do you have a link for those Chicago numbers?

Old
04-10-2013, 12:32 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

html.whoswatching.tv

Old
04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
I am fairly confident that bruins do not always get bumped to nesn+ because of the Sox. Bruins regular season games will go on nesn over regular season Sox once the opening day and Yankee Sox stuff passes.

It will be interesting to see how they compare head on. I know Sox are not as popular as they have been in the past.
Bruins will be on NESN+ tomorrow as well

Anybody know how the Bruins did last week (April 4) head to head with Red Sox/NYY?

Closed Thread