HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks next season (MOD: 2013-14 NHL roster)

View Poll Results: What happens to Dan Boyle this offseason?
Bought out! 0 0%
Sharks can't unload him due to cap shrinkage. 4 30.77%
Sharks find a partner, but oops, he's on the NTC list. 1 7.69%
Sharks unload him for an "Error" of a return. 2 15.38%
Sharks unload him to move up in the 3rd round in this year's draft. 1 7.69%
Sharks pull off what professional observers call the "deal of the decade" by this time next season! 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Didn't Hertl already say that he'd only want to come over if he plays in the NHL not minor leagues? He sure looks capable...

Old
04-08-2013, 03:38 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, we need two more top-6 players. I don't like Wingels as a permanent top-6 either. He is fine as a plug-in from time to time but not full-time.

Some Forward related issues in 2013-14:

- We need a replacement for Clowe's spot in the top-6. We talked about getting a speedy, shoot first winger .. now we just need to find one. I agree that Stalberg (Viktor) could fit the bill.

- Do we leave Pavs as the 3rd line center or does he see that as a punishment? If he is part of our long term future we need to make sure he is happy. And he moves up back in the top-6 then we need to find a good 3rd line center.

In theory, Nieto also fits the bill for the first spot (Clowe replacement). Also, Hertl could be a good Pavs replacement on the 3rd line if we do need to move Pavs back to the top-6. Hoping one of those two can actually play next year. Would make our life lot easier.

I hate the thought of trading Boyle but I don't really know who else we can give up.

Marleau has a NTC.
Jumbo is too valuable (unless we go full re-build ) and also has a NTC.
Havlat maybe .. but we are already short on top-6 players. He also has a NTC.
We can trade Demers/Braun for a possible top-6 but that doesn't help with the CAP.

Man thinking about next season gives me a headache.

Lets just blow it up .. atleast that way I won't have any expectations for atleast 2-3 years ...
I'm tired of people saying they are concerned if Pavs is happy or not. Have you been keeping track of his ice time? He regularly is in the tops of leading forwards for ice time. Yesterday he had more than any other forward - 23:15 - that's more than anyone on the TEAM.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:38 PM
do0glas

guys like yandle, streit, letang, karlsson, weber are true 2 way number 1 d men.

a number 1 of that vein isnt required imo. we have three in our d corp with above average offensive upside. demers, irwin, braun. and even tennyson to some extent. all mobile (irwin not so much), they can all pass and demers, braun and tennyson all can join the rush. defensively we are lacking size and physicality. stuart, irwin, and maybe hannon? can only cover so much.

guys like suter got trumped up because it was a highly skilled d man leading the FA class, and while he is very good he has less goals than boyle, and not much more points.

boyle even compared to someone like keith has done better historically.

a true number 1 in what im assuming matches the definition above tends to overload your cap.

most of the true number ones are over 6 mill in cap. burns actually makes closer to what an elite 1st liner makes, or slight discount.

when you put that in conjunction with the standings over the past few years, it usually isnt indicative of success. unless im missing some teams.

ottawa
nashville
pittsburg (arguable-see: crosby effect)
phoenix
NYI
*minn-suter doesnt score a lot of goals. closer to defensive elite/above average offensively.
boston

i would rather go a more well rounded route, and burns at F could give us an edge. especially with robinson at the helm making sure the youngsters get it done.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:49 PM
ramstoria

With the way Burns has been playing, I can't imagine he ever goes back to D unless we are in dire straits. The cap is tight next year, but I don't think it's awful. We have about $10m to sign 5-6 F, 1-2 D, and 1 G. If we keep Stalock and Tennyson up, then we are looking at about $8m to sign 5-6 F and maybe 1 D (Tennyson would give us 7 D, assuming Demers comes back, even with Burns at F). Sure, we could trade Boyle, but we can make it work either way.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:57 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Acolatse isn't NHL ready. He won't kill you in spot duty, but he's not an every day NHL defenseman yet.
Thoughts on Doherty? I've heard that he is improving but not nearly ready to be an NHL d-man yet.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:59 PM
OrrNumber4

Personally, I would like to see an ideal SJ Sharks lineup where they have one premier offensive D-man and one top two-way D-man. I'd be satisfied with a prime Boyle and Burns (typically).

Old
04-08-2013, 04:16 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
Didn't Hertl already say that he'd only want to come over if he plays in the NHL not minor leagues? He sure looks capable...
Think that was Sobchenko, Hertl just said he wanted to spend at least one more season in KHL. Could have both said both though.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Thoughts on Doherty? I've heard that he is improving but not nearly ready to be an NHL d-man yet.
Doherty has taken some positive steps this season but he's not ready for the NHL.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:20 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Too bad Hertl or Nieto aren't just one year further in their development. Nieto fits perfectly on that first line, and Hertl perfectly on that second line. Sigh.

Also, I'm beyond confused about what to do with Burns. My head says I want him to go back to defense, but he's just been so damn good up front.
I think Hertl has a shot, Nieto probably needs a season in the AHL. Even then, I'm not sure I really want him spending a season with Sommer if he continues as the baby Sharks coach...

As for the d-man issue, the only options are Yandle (I honestly don't know who we could trade to get Yandle, I don't think we posses the assets), Streit (might as well just keep Boyle), and getting insanely lucky in the draft with a Cam Fowler type player mid round. The odds are just insanely small. Maybe DW will surprise us, but right now I think we are stuck with what we have, which is a lot more than a lot of teams.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
WTFetus

Just thinking out loud here, but do the Sharks really need a #1/#2? Say they trade Boyle and leave Burns up front, what if they sign someone like Ian White?
It could totally be an off year, but all Boyle provides right now is a little bit more offense. He doesn't shut-down his competition, and he doesn't face top competition right now. Aside from eating 22+ minutes a night, he isn't really a top pairing defenseman anymore.
I don't think the subtraction of Boyle and the addition of White will hurt the breakout too much (White is very fast and has a good breakout). And I think if Demers was given #1 PP time, he'd be a good quarterback.

Vlasic - Demers
Stuart - White
Irwin - Braun

Doesn't look great, but with our defensive system, I think it could work. Again, it's not like Boyle is great defensively anyway (and Demers did well against top competition this year with Stuart). Of course, the D would look a whole lot better with Burns, but the forward core would look a lot worse.

For the record, I love Boyle and I'm only talking hypothetically here (like if the return was great, or if the Sharks really need the cap-space). Boyle could be aging, or it could be an off-year (personally or system-wise). The playoffs might paint a better picture since Boyle has always been a beast then.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:42 PM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Or the Sharks could keep the course of current action, keep what you have for another year. And wait until 2014 to decide what direction the Sharks will take with the flexibility in the salary cap. I would love to keep Gomez, but not sure he would like playing 10-12 minutes a game. But he has fit nicely for the Sharks.

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.775m)
Martin Havlat ($5.000m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
T.J. Galiardi ($1.500m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Raffi Torres ($2.250m)
James Sheppard ($0.900m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.705m) / Adam Burish ($1.850m)
DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.250m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
Brad Stuart ($3.600m) / Jason Demers ($1.400m)
Matt Tennyson ($1.175m) /
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Alex Stalock ($0.725m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,381,667; BONUSES: $250,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,168,333

Old
04-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
He's barely an AHL defenseman. For the most part he's as effective as a traffic cone.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:48 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumpInTheCorner View Post
Or the Sharks could keep the course of current action, keep what you have for another year. And wait until 2014 to decide what direction the Sharks will take with the flexibility in the salary cap. I would love to keep Gomez, but not sure he would like playing 10-12 minutes a game. But he has fit nicely for the Sharks.

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.775m)
Martin Havlat ($5.000m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
T.J. Galiardi ($1.500m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Raffi Torres ($2.250m)
James Sheppard ($0.900m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.705m) / Adam Burish ($1.850m)
DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.250m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
Brad Stuart ($3.600m) / Jason Demers ($1.400m)
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Alex Stalock ($0.725m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,381,667; BONUSES: $250,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,168,333
If they wait till 2014 they will potentially get zero assets for Marleau, Thornton, Boyle and Pavelski.

That would be an absolutely massive failure. Either re-sign them, or trade them (if you can) this off-season. Those are the only options I would consider.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Just thinking out loud here, but do the Sharks really need a #1/#2? Say they trade Boyle and leave Burns up front, what if they sign someone like Ian White?
It could totally be an off year, but all Boyle provides right now is a little bit more offense. He doesn't shut-down his competition, and he doesn't face top competition right now. Aside from eating 22+ minutes a night, he isn't really a top pairing defenseman anymore.
I don't think the subtraction of Boyle and the addition of White will hurt the breakout too much (White is very fast and has a good breakout). And I think if Demers was given #1 PP time, he'd be a good quarterback.

Vlasic - Demers
Stuart - White
Irwin - Braun

Doesn't look great, but with our defensive system, I think it could work. Again, it's not like Boyle is great defensively anyway (and Demers did well against top competition this year with Stuart). Of course, the D would look a whole lot better with Burns, but the forward core would look a lot worse.

For the record, I love Boyle and I'm only talking hypothetically here (like if the return was great, or if the Sharks really need the cap-space). Boyle could be aging, or it could be an off-year (personally or system-wise). The playoffs might paint a better picture since Boyle has always been a beast then.

If they trade Boyle and don't replace him with someone comparable then they'll have to move Burns back. Vlasic-Burns pair is a legit top pairing, and they will need at least one of those if they expect to remain competitive IMO.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:09 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
If they trade Boyle and don't replace him with someone comparable then they'll have to move Burns back. Vlasic-Burns pair is a legit top pairing, and they will need at least one of those if they expect to remain competitive IMO.
My point was that they don't have a legit top pairing right now and are doing fine on the defensive side of things (aside from last game of course).

Old
04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
He's barely an AHL defenseman. For the most part he's as effective as a traffic cone.
Really? The Sharks prospect system is worse than I thought.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:14 PM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
If they wait till 2014 they will potentially get zero assets for Marleau, Thornton, Boyle and Pavelski.

That would be an absolutely massive failure. Either re-sign them, or trade them (if you can) this off-season. Those are the only options I would consider.
Who said Marleau or Thornton are going to waive their NMC? An educated guess is that Wilson is going to sign Marleau and Thornton to a reduced salary, and give Couture a significant raise. Pavelski and Boyle are the only tradable assets the Sharks have moving into 2014. Moving Boyle takes away a lot from the backend and Pavelski will create a black hole in the bottom 6 as well as a the top 6. Unless they are getting a solid young prospects like a Couturier.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:07 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

I like the lineup by germanshark - good at Goal, Defense. I think we need 2 top 9 wingers for next year as i don't believe any current prospects/players will be ready. These two must be current NHL players, fast/quick and can put up 35-45 points each.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:11 PM
mbahr

My idea of next year roster but most likely a new players in the off season that will enable the sharks to move Burns to defense again. I just dont know who it will be.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Brent Burns ($5.760m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.775m)
Scott Gomez ($0.700m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / T.J. Galiardi ($0.998m)
James Sheppard ($0.866m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.725m) / Adam Burish ($1.850m)
Matt Nieto ($0.759m) / John McCarthy ($0.613m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.667m) / Matt Irwin ($1.000m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.250m) / Brad Stuart ($3.600m)
Justin Braun ($1.250m) / Jason Demers ($1.400m)
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Alex Stalock ($0.722m)

Old
04-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Really? The Sharks prospect system is worse than I thought.
No Doherty was considered a boom/bust type pick.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:21 PM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
Think that was Sobchenko, Hertl just said he wanted to spend at least one more season in KHL. Could have both said both though.
The Czech league...?

Old
04-08-2013, 06:24 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
The Czech league...?
Er yah, you know what I meant

Old
04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
hockeyball

Are the Blues really going to continue on with 3 d-men making over $6M? They CAN afford it seems but man that seems kind of nuts. Wonder if we could pry Shattenkirk out of them, it would cost us Pavelski/Thornton, but would solve that issue... Probably a pipe dream.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Quote:
He's in the Czech Extraliga. I read an interview where I believe Hertl said he'd rather stay and play at home rather than playing in the minors here. The excuse was that he was young and already playing against men, but I suppose by next season that shouldn't really be a valid excuse.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:37 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Are the Blues really going to continue on with 3 d-men making over $6M? They CAN afford it seems but man that seems kind of nuts. Wonder if we could pry Shattenkirk out of them, it would cost us Pavelski/Thornton, but would solve that issue... Probably a pipe dream.
If they wanted to reduce the cost of the defense, they'd replace Jackman/Polak with a guy like Cole, or move Bouw before they'd move Shattenkirk. At least, IMO. He has been excellent in STL.

Closed Thread