HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cory Schneider -- Our Saviour

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2013, 03:09 PM
  #26
freakydave
Registered User
 
freakydave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
I never said Luongo played well either, and it wasn't just Hall that was running us over, it was the entire Edmonton team.
exactly

that's why you shouldn't be holding that performace up as inconsistent goaltending imo.

freakydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:30 PM
  #27
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,734
vCash: 500
I'm surprised more people aren't excited about Cory and his future with us. If we had another guy in his mid 20's with the ability to be the best at his position going forward, people would be falling all over themselves. He's the real deal.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:52 PM
  #28
Karl Hungus
Registered User
 
Karl Hungus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Schneider has played well enough this year answer any concerns about his ability to be the #1. No goalie is exempt from the occasional bad game so it's important to keep some perspective when looking at his performance. I'm pretty happy he's our goalie moving forward.

Karl Hungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:04 PM
  #29
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,645
vCash: 500
Cory Schneider currently has the best career save percentage of any goalie with at least 2000 shots against. (I realize that's not era adjusted).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:14 PM
  #30
Catamarca Livin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Cory Schneider currently has the best career save percentage of any goalie with at least 2000 shots against. (I realize that's not era adjusted).
Impressive!! Is it easy to show a list of goalies? I imagine most suffer from the end of career drop and this era has high save percentages but being the best in this stat is still great. He is very composed and battles even when team or himself is going bad. He has had a few bad starts like the first game of the year but normally you cannot tell the score by his demenour. Was great coming off the bench as a replacment as well. Too bad we did not put him in earlier in those Boston games.

googled a list for save percentage for goalies with over 250 games played and Lu was 4th all time on that list as well. Not bad for a guy who played a lot for non playoff teams.

Sidenote maybe Canadian goalie are overated Luongo the only Canadian goalie in top 10 Carey Price at 13. From 20 Brodeur to 39 Ray Emery there are 15 Canadian goalies!! Schneider goes not have the 200 game requirement to be on this list.


Last edited by Catamarca Livin: 04-08-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:20 PM
  #31
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Impressive!! Is it easy to show a list of goalies? I imagine most suffer from the end of career drop and this era has high save percentages but being the best in this stat is still great. He is very composed and battles even when team or himself is going bad. He has had a few bad starts like the first game of the year but normally you cannot tell the score by his demenour. Was great coming off the bench as a replacment as well. Too bad we did not put him in earlier in those Boston games.
http://hkref.com/tiny/lGKxF

Also, he has the second best SV% up to the age of 27 (behind Turco) of goalies who faced at least 2000 shots by that age:

http://hkref.com/tiny/mYe5Y

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:54 PM
  #32
Whale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
This is too funny, or at least it will be once the playoffs are done.

Cloutier was a great regular season goalie, blamed for multiple playoff meltdowns...

How about Lou, wasn't he the saviour at one point? Oh, wait, he's the problem now.

Now it's Schnieder's turn....

I feel sorry for the guy, he hasn't even won a single playoff series yet, but he's being annointed the new saviour! No pressure!

It's getting tired, at least he only has two years to be blamed for this teams playoff meltdowns before he can get out of here.

Then we can go to town on Lack and the 'why did we trade Lou? Gillis suxs!' threads can start!

So predictable it hurts (:-(

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:00 PM
  #33
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,645
vCash: 500
Cloutier was never a 'great' regular season goalie unless you measure goalies by wins. In his best season he was only 13th amongst starters in SV%.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:01 PM
  #34
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
I'm stoked about Schneider but this is creepy...not necessarily in a bad way but still very creepy.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:13 PM
  #35
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Cloutier was never a 'great' regular season goalie unless you measure goalies by wins. In his best season he was only 13th amongst starters in SV%.
Agreed. Cloutier was the definition of insulated in his time here. Overall, the team allowed very few shots, so the pedestrian save percentage was enough for Cloutier to hold the Canucks' GAA record until Luongo recently broke it.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:29 PM
  #36
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,175
vCash: 500
Schneider has also had the best sv% in the league since he became a backup in 2010:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...er_by=save_pct


What's really crazy isn't so much that he's in 1st, but just how far ahead of most of the other goalies he is. He's at .931 and there are only 4 other active goalies (Lundqvist, Rinne, Rask, and Luongo) that are even above .920.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:42 PM
  #37
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,626
vCash: 500
Schneider has been elite at every level so it's no surprise to anyone that followed his career. the only thing that remains is, can he handle a large work load? even if he can't, I'm confident he will be a clutch playoff goalie when it matters.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:51 PM
  #38
Taco Fingerhat
Registered User
 
Taco Fingerhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Schneider has been elite at every level so it's no surprise to anyone that followed his career. the only thing that remains is, can he handle a large work load? even if he can't, I'm confident he will be a clutch playoff goalie when it matters.
I think the better question is... Can a large work load handle Cory Schneider?

Taco Fingerhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:11 PM
  #39
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
I think the better question is... Can a large work load handle Cory Schneider?
Can HF handle Schneider handling a large work load?

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:20 PM
  #40
luongo321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,831
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Can HF handle Schneider handling a large work load?
Can Roberto Luongo?

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:25 PM
  #41
NuxFan09
Registered User
 
NuxFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,427
vCash: 500
Schneider is a great story for the Canucks. It's sometimes easy to forget that the Canucks drafted this guy out of high school. He's been slowly and methodically developed, coming through high school, college, the AHL and studying his craft as Luongo's backup in the NHL until finally becoming the starter for the Canucks.

This team can give themselves a pat on the back for drafting and developing a player who is becoming one of the best netminders in the league. The way he turns aside onslaughts of shots seemingly game in and game out makes it seem like he'll soon join the ranks of elite goalies along with Lundqvist, Rinne and Quick. He's not just good at what he does. He consistently SAVES this team, masking the fact that the defense is actually pretty porous.

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:35 PM
  #42
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Schneider is a great story for the Canucks. It's sometimes easy to forget that the Canucks drafted this guy out of high school. He's been slowly and methodically developed, coming through high school, college, the AHL and studying his craft as Luongo's backup in the NHL until finally becoming the starter for the Canucks.

This team can give themselves a pat on the back for drafting and developing a player who is becoming one of the best netminders in the league. The way he turns aside onslaughts of shots seemingly game in and game out makes it seem like he'll soon join the ranks of elite goalies along with Lundqvist, Rinne and Quick. He's not just good at what he does. He consistently SAVES this team, masking the fact that the defense is actually pretty porous.
I wonder if the defense is just spoiled with elite goaltanding so they put in minimal efforts more often than not. they honestly play like a bottom 5 defense at times but have the players to be a top 5 defense.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:42 PM
  #43
NuxFan09
Registered User
 
NuxFan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I wonder if the defense is just spoiled with elite goaltanding so they put in minimal efforts more often than not. they honestly play like a bottom 5 defense at times but have the players to be a top 5 defense.
This is exactly how I feel. Nobody can actually look at the personnel the Canucks have on the back end and call them a bad defense unit. I don't know if a new D coach is needed or maybe a new system. Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard and Tanev are capable of way more as a group.

That being said, part of me doesn't mind letting Schneider see a lot of shots. Rinne sees a ton of shots and a lot of people like to say that the Predators are one of the best defensive teams in the league. I guess it depends on the quality of shots the goalie is facing, though. The heaps of chances the Canucks give up don't exactly make me feel comfortable, regardless of if the goalie is making the saves or not.

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:15 PM
  #44
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,557
vCash: 1512
Everyone talks about how classy Luongo has been throughout this whole trade rumor situation, how about Schneider and how he has handled the situation for essentially his whole career? Nothing but team first.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:44 PM
  #45
Hal 9000*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Everyone talks about how classy Luongo has been throughout this whole trade rumor situation, how about Schneider and how he has handled the situation for essentially his whole career? Nothing but team first.
He handled being a back-up the way any back-up should. When he sat for a stretch this year, he *****ed - fair enough! No kudos needed.

The real test will be when he resigns.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:54 PM
  #46
luongo321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,831
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Everyone talks about how classy Luongo has been throughout this whole trade rumor situation, how about Schneider and how he has handled the situation for essentially his whole career? Nothing but team first.
Cory has always been calm. Handled the situation? He's dancing in the streets. He just stole the #1 spot from one of the best goalies in the league and on one of the best teams in the league. Yeah, poor Cory. If he wasn't calm and did make a big deal about it, he'd be getting Coho'd.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:55 PM
  #47
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
Joke thread or not, Schneider should be the franchise player now. He's the one who keeps us in every game. He has his lapses, but looking at our team's style/defense, I can't hold that against him.

He's a good goalie. The league is full of good goalies, but that doesn't mean a good goalie like Schneider should go unappreciated or undervalued.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:57 PM
  #48
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,557
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Cory has always been calm. Handled the situation? He's dancing in the streets. He just stole the #1 spot from one of the best goalies in the league and on one of the best teams in the league. Yeah, poor Cory. If he wasn't calm and did make a big deal about it, he'd be getting Coho'd.
I'm talking about how long this situation has dragged on with Luongo still being here and Schneider expecting to fully take over the reigns. I think they were always his to begin with, though.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:59 PM
  #49
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Cory has always been calm. Handled the situation? He's dancing in the streets. He just stole the #1 spot from one of the best goalies in the league and on one of the best teams in the league. Yeah, poor Cory. If he wasn't calm and did make a big deal about it, he'd be getting Coho'd.
He didn't steal anything- he earned his position. Luongo had a chance this season, and was almost successful, at taking the position back but he didn't. Luongo has handled the situation gracefully with respect to the media, but Luongo let the trade rumours affect his game. How else do you want to explain a .904 save percentage, when Schneider has a .926 behind the exact same team?

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:01 PM
  #50
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,557
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
He didn't steal anything- he earned his position. Luongo had a chance this season, and was almost successful, at taking the position back but he didn't. Luongo has handled the situation gracefully with respect to the media, but Luongo let the trade rumours affect his game. How else do you want to explain a .904 save percentage, when Schneider has a .926 behind the exact same team?
Soft stretch in the schedule.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.