HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tank or Make a Run for 8th?

Old
04-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Preds33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Regarding the underlined comment, that was how I thought it was done as well, but I don't think it's possible because of this comment on the NHL announcement:

To guarantee that no one moves down more than one spot, you can only "lottery-ize" the first pick based on my understand. Say #7 wins the first pick, then you held a lottery again for the second pick and #5 won, the draft would go: 7 > 5 > 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 6. Teams #1-4 would have moved down two spots each, which seems to run counter to the aforementioned clause.

And I still don't understand that four ball series thing.
Maybe the 2nd pick would fall in line after everyone who has been shifted down 1 spot. So in your scenario 5 would end up staying 6 because 1-4 shifted a spot already due to number 7 moving to the front. And they would keep picking until 13th ended up in 14th place.

Based on the line that no one would lose more than 1 spot, that is my thought. But the higher you are in the pre-lottery draft order, the better your chances to move up

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:53 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Lots of responses about our remaining games being anything other than a tank job. Some said, "tanking is deliberately losing". Someone, anyone give me an example of a team doing that since the black sox scandal. They're pro athletes and coaches, they always play to win.

Tanking is when you deliberately reduce your chances of winning a game. It doesn't mean sitting a healthy weber for no reason. If fish could go if it were game 7, yet you choose to sit him, if Rinne would normally play every game the rest of the way, yet you sit him for 4-5 games down the stretch, if you give more ice time to less experienced players in order to give them experience, all of these things are done at the expense of putting yourself in a better position to win a game.

So to call resting vets, sitting players who could play if they had to, and letting rookies put up bigger minutes to get their feet wet anything other than tanking is disingenuous. It's ok to tank, people. Just accept it and you'll feel better.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:12 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Fish could not go, period, he tried for 2 games and couldn't which is why there was an emergency call-up. The weren't resting him and have not rested anyone.

Rookies are not putting up bigger minutes either.

Do you even watch the games?

The bottom line players (Smith, Halishuk, Yip, Clune, Mueller) still got bottom line ice time. The only rookie that got good ice time was Beck, and he earned it by his play during the game.

Weber still lead all defensemen in ice time, Rinne still played in net.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Lots of responses about our remaining games being anything other than a tank job. Some said, "tanking is deliberately losing". Someone, anyone give me an example of a team doing that since the black sox scandal. They're pro athletes and coaches, they always play to win.

Tanking is when you deliberately reduce your chances of winning a game. It doesn't mean sitting a healthy weber for no reason. If fish could go if it were game 7, yet you choose to sit him, if Rinne would normally play every game the rest of the way, yet you sit him for 4-5 games down the stretch, if you give more ice time to less experienced players in order to give them experience, all of these things are done at the expense of putting yourself in a better position to win a game.

So to call resting vets, sitting players who could play if they had to, and letting rookies put up bigger minutes to get their feet wet anything other than tanking is disingenuous. It's ok to tank, people. Just accept it and you'll feel better.
Game 7 in any given post season series is much more important than a regular season game, especially if your team isn't fighting for a playoff position (either entirely out of it or entirely in it). Sitting a player who "could go if it were Game 7" isn't part of "tanking". If Trotz were to decide to rest Rinne I doubt anyone would question him. Rinne has been probably the most inconsistent starting goaltender in the league this season, and he has played the most games (GP 38/GS 37). Hell, it could be argued at this point that our netminder playing so much is part of our problem. Giving experience to young guys, at this point, is really the only option. Now, if we were sitting healthy players (i.e. Weber) only to replace them with call ups from Milwaukee who really aren't in the near-future plans of the organization I would agree that is purposefully putting yourself in a position to lose.

Tanking is purposefully losing to gain a better draft position, which really isn't a great idea unless you're very close to the bottom and can realistically get the #1 overall pick (though the lottery could **** that up for a team). It isn't the coach making roster decisions that fans disagree with and/or that allow the coaching staff and the hockey ops staff to see how close some of their prospects are to making the jump.

04-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Tanking is thrown around so often these days that it's lost it's meaning. Tanking was done in Pittsburgh for Lemieux. I believe they brought up an ECHL caliber goaltender for the last couple games and intentionally lost games. Ottawa with Daigle. MAYBE Washington with Ovechkin. It rarely happens, sometimes teams just suck.

We aren't playing Mason the majority of our games, we aren't scratching Weber and calling up AHL scrubs, we just suck right now.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:54 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post

I still say there is a difference between deliberately trying to ice a losing team(see the examples Soundgarden cited, not to mention the whole reson the NBA draft lottery was invented was because of rampant tanking) and recognizing that you are out of the playoff hunt and not endangering a player(like Fisher) who could play but certainly deserves to rest of there isnt anything on the line, or not rushing Gaustad back into the lineup when he has an injury.

If we call up Hellberg and start him for several games, or if Mason gets more than two starts the rest of the way with no announcement of an injury to Rinne, I'll admit we are tanking, but if Rinne is in goal, and no forward or D man is called up from Milwaukee to replace a healthy player in the lineup, we arent deliberately trying to lose.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:27 PM
sighthndlady

Actually, I'd love to see Hellberg get a couple of starts. Rinne deserves some rest, why not see what the kid has got? We already know what Mason doesn't have.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Legionnaire11

FWIW, I agree with GoPreds... no NHL team is going to seriously throw games on purpose to improve their draft position, I know that's the literal definitely of "Tanking". But management can make the decision to call the season a loss and turn to the kids down the stretch as a tryout... it's basically the same thing, it's just a more PC way of getting there.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:34 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
FWIW, I agree with GoPreds... no NHL team is going to seriously throw games on purpose to improve their draft position, I know that's the literal definitely of "Tanking". But management can make the decision to call the season a loss and turn to the kids down the stretch as a tryout... it's basically the same thing, it's just a more PC way of getting there.
I don't know. I call it being realistic. There is little difference between a team that has clinched resting injured players or key players to avoid injury, or resting their starting netminder, because their regular season is over, and a team who is obviously not going to make the playoffs doing the same thing. Think of it as an early pre-season

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Nashville Transplant

ahhhh... Kings fans will no doubt remember the 07-08 season as they were a seeming lock for 30th place, and a chance at Steven Stamkos (although some insist Lombardi would have gone off the boards and picked Doughty, I can't possibly believe that) and then as the Lightning lost their final four games of the season, the Kings and the HORRIBLE Brian Willsie, who scored a big 4 goals all season long and the equally horrible Raitis Ivanans, decided to come up big, and with their best games of the season, defeated San Jose 4-2, and that was the regulation win which ended up putting LA in 29th and Tampa in 30th (both had 71 pts.)

Now, Drew Doughty wasn't a bad pick by ANY stretch of the imagination (though at the time Bogosian, Doughty and Pietrangelo were all in toss-up mode as to who would go first, second or third ... or in this case second, third or fourth.)

Players don't tank... we've seen it happen time and time again where a team looks like they should "lose the big one," and come up big when you feel they needed to crap the bed one more time.

Stamkos and Kopitar... the mind boggles... although we did win a cup last year with Doughty

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:35 AM
sighthndlady

Currently sitting in 5th, and Carolina has a decent shot to pass us. Just beat the DRW twice to keep them out of the playoffs, and I'll be beyond happy.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Being O.K. with deliberate losing is never acceptable. Play hard every game. If they lose because a team played better that night, ok. Rolling over and quitting is an abomination.
Play your best, if we lose then so be it! Never, ever give up!

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:24 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
Play your best, if we lose then so be it! Never, ever give up!

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:16 PM
sighthndlady

So are we Dallas & Columbus fans tonight?

Old
04-09-2013, 04:41 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I have to ask, what the f is the difference between playing as is and tanking? Do you think the Preds have been 'tanking' for 4 weeks? If anything keep going.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Filipthefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I have to ask, what the f is the difference between playing as is and tanking? Do you think the Preds have been 'tanking' for 4 weeks? If anything keep going.
Haha I was thinking the same thing, I think we should try but we need to let the young guys play if we are really going with a younger team. If that what tanking is then I am all for jumping on the Predtank

Filipthefuture is offline   Reply With Quote