Possible AHL Relocation

Old
04-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Why the hell not? They're building everything else around this god-forsaken town. Like weeds.
Did you hear about the new building Sanford is putting in? Contractors dug and started building in on the wrong site. They all got fired.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
nickschultzfan

While I think it would be cooler to have a "closer" AHL team in Des Moines or Souix Falls, the truth is that modern NHL teams don't look at road miles to the minor league team.

All that matters is airplane connections. And in that regard, Houston is a prime AHL market. Wild can get flights to pretty much anywhere in the country on any given day, and multiple flights between the Twin Cities and Houston every day. That is huge.

Wild can get a player from Houston to the Twin Cities as fast as a player could drive from Des Moines/Souix Falls to the Twin Cities, and they can definitely get that player to another major city faster from Houston than from those smaller cities/airports.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:04 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
While I think it would be cooler to have a "closer" AHL team in Des Moines or Souix Falls, the truth is that modern NHL teams don't look at road miles to the minor league team.

All that matters is airplane connections. And in that regard, Houston is a prime AHL market. Wild can get flights to pretty much anywhere in the country on any given day, and multiple flights between the Twin Cities and Houston every day. That is huge.

Wild can get a player from Houston to the Twin Cities as fast as a player could drive from Des Moines/Souix Falls to the Twin Cities, and they can definitely get that player to another major city faster from Houston than from those smaller cities/airports.
Good point.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:14 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Which is why Bloomington would be a prime location, big enough market and the airport is like 5 minutes away with flights to most cities.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:52 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Which is why Bloomington would be a prime location, big enough market and the airport is like 5 minutes away with flights to most cities.
Boomington where? Indiana? Bloomington, MN doesn't have an arena.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:42 PM
State of Hockey

In his chat, Russo thought the team will likely move to Des Moines. Sad to hear because the Houston fans down there are very good. They were proud of their team.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Feel bad for Ms C. Would hate to see them lose their team.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Kari Takko

What would happen to the Bucs or Stampede if an AHL team was moved to Des Moines or Sioux Falls?

Obviously, it'd be great to have the youngsters close by, but I don't know if those two markets are viable. Sioux Falls would probably be the better bet based on their growth.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:27 PM
HockeylessInHouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthClobber View Post
God that article is absolute ********. I'm not doubting they may be talking about moving the Aeros, but 5th place in the west is hardly "the brink of missing the playoffs", and this picture:

Is NEVER what it looks like. I don't know when they took that photo but it's always more populated than that. Not to mention the Aeros are apparently in the top 5 in AHL attendance, in HOUSTON. Obviously I'm a little emotional being from Houston but it's not like the Aeros just got granted permission to use the Toyota Center, they and the Rockets are the main tenants since 2003 when it opened.
I was at the game. While it was not well attended, that picture had to have been taken during the warm-up skate.

We've also had 11,000 at games this year.

There's a sad bit of "catastrophizing" in our media and with our bloggers. The fact that nothing has been announced is taken especially in headlines that the team is moving, or the "outlook is grim". If it bleeds, it leads I guess. All it does is stress out people even more than they already are.

HockeylessInHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:28 PM
HockeylessInHouston

Quote:
Not really, that was the reason they moved into the Toyota Center. And no, the Summit is no longer viable; it's some big church now. The only other arena is Reliant Arena next to where the Texans play but it's kinda small. Says there are 5800 permanent seats and the Aeros generally pull in around 7,000 every game, but even then sometimes the Aeros pull in 10,000 or more on special days, nevermind the playoffs. Calder Cup Final was crazy packed.
Reliant Arena has no ice facilities.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Why would the Wild want their team closer? Wouldn't having an AHL affiliate close by discourage out of towners from making as many trips to the X?

If the Aeros moved to Duluth I'd have a hard time justifying driving all the way down to St. Paul for a game... I'd do it maybe once a year instead of the 2 or 3 hockey games I try to get to.

Also I thought i read somewhere that the fans that travel to the X spend a lot more than the locals. They are going out to eat anyway so they tend to eat at the arena... This is their one trip so they tend to buy more merch and food as well. The Wild wouldn't want to reduce that number for the sake of a semi-local AHL team.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:27 PM
NHLPodium

Quote:

Is NEVER what it looks like. I don't know when they took that photo but it's always more populated than that.
I watched some Aeros during the lockout and it seemed pretty dead to me

NHLPodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Comment From Guest
How is the partnership process going in Houston? Do you think there's a chance the Coyotes move to Houston? Where are the Wild looking at going if they don't continue having a team in Houston? Is any of this affecting the fans of the Aeros and their attendance/excitement?
2:08
Michael Russo: Lots of questions there. Only thing I'll say is reading the tea leaves, the Aeros sadly are on their last legs in Houston and will be playing elsewhere next season. That place will likely be Des Moines, Iowa
So reading the Russo chat replay he dropped this in there. Looks like the Aeros are going to Des Moines. Russo rarely guesses... So this is as good of a source as there is.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Did you hear about the new building Sanford is putting in? Contractors dug and started building in on the wrong site. They all got fired.
The hell? Where did you hear this? I find this utterly hilarious if true.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:44 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermie View Post
Since they can't buy the Fairview hospitals, I couldn't think of a better way to spend all that cash.
As someone related to a Fairview RN, I really hope sanford is never able to buy Fairview.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

The problem with Sanford is it's a for profit business, and pretty cut-throat from what I've heard. I don't want a company like that to be given any chance of expanding.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:13 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
What would happen to the Bucs or Stampede if an AHL team was moved to Des Moines or Sioux Falls?

Obviously, it'd be great to have the youngsters close by, but I don't know if those two markets are viable. Sioux Falls would probably be the better bet based on their growth.
It looks like the Bucs stayed in town during the Stars and Chops run. Sioux Falls is affluent and growing, but Des Moines has true AHL size. Sioux Falls would be very small by AHL standards. Given NSF's point on airport connections, as well as a lack of bus-able division foes, Fargo or Sioux Falls probably wouldn't be the best option to minimize research & development costs (though ballsy and I would love to see it).

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
HockeylessInHouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLPodium View Post
I watched some Aeros during the lockout and it seemed pretty dead to me
It also depends on the day of the week. Tuesdays and Thursday are notoriously poorly attended. Also any conflicts with Texans games, disAstros opening night, etc.

I particularly remember the one that started during the first Texans playoff game this year was really empty.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:29 PM
HockeylessInHouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Feel bad for Ms C. Would hate to see them lose their team.
She's moving to Dallas, anyway.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Why would the Wild want their team closer? Wouldn't having an AHL affiliate close by discourage out of towners from making as many trips to the X?

If the Aeros moved to Duluth I'd have a hard time justifying driving all the way down to St. Paul for a game... I'd do it maybe once a year instead of the 2 or 3 hockey games I try to get to.

Also I thought i read somewhere that the fans that travel to the X spend a lot more than the locals. They are going out to eat anyway so they tend to eat at the arena... This is their one trip so they tend to buy more merch and food as well. The Wild wouldn't want to reduce that number for the sake of a semi-local AHL team.
If the team was looking ahead to some lean years at the gate, that might be a consideration, but I don't think they're planning on having a lot of trouble selling out for the next 4-5 years.

Even then, it's really only a factor if you're talking about a team in MSP or maybe St. Cloud. Duluth/Fargo would be a very small slice of their revenue pie. There are probably posters on this forum who spend more on the team than the Sioux Falls and Des Moines metros combined. If anything, a regional AHL team might boost out-state viewership.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:36 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Hopefully someone can cut a deal with Les Alexander in time to make the Houston Aeros NHL team # 32, and a fellow division foe in the Central.

Landing Houston and Seattle would be huge for the league.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I would love to see the team go to Fargo, however I think Sioux Falls or Duluth would be a better option. I don't know if Des Moines would be a good option. Iowa is not really hockey territory.

It's a shame though. The aeros have a very storied franchise in Houston.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:35 PM
HockeylessInHouston

As I've posted elsewhere, as a 32 year resident of Houston I think the NHL has zero chance of working in Houston, primarily for demographic (and geographic) reasons. Houston is NOT Dallas.

Of the 6+ million metro population, the potential paying fan base is probably in the 1.5-2.0 million range (less than the population of metro Austin or Cincinnati). And most of us live in places like The Woodlands, Katy, or Sugarland which can be terrible drives into town in Houston traffic.

I work 15-20 minutes from the Toy Box and have no kids nor spouse to have to pick up, so I don't have any commute issues. But a good number of the few people who like hockey around here aren't so lucky.

And the basic problem is most people around here don't like hockey, and in a few cases I've run into people who are openly hostile to it (e.g., "Damn Yankee sport" or "that's a 'furrin' sport!").

Old
04-08-2013, 10:40 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonAerosFan View Post
And the basic problem is most people around here don't like hockey, and in a few cases I've run into people who are openly hostile to it (e.g., "Damn Yankee sport" or "that's a 'furrin' sport!").
Listen, I was born in Texas (Fort Hood, to be precise), I have tons of family down there, I visit all the time, I love the entire state inside and out, and I have no idea what that means.

Care to explain?

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

I hope the NHL has learned from Nashville and Atlanta that expansion in a non-traditional hockey market is a bad idea.

If Phoenix is being moved, and the NHL plans on adding 2 teams to balance the divisions, move phoenix to Houston so they have a chance to establish a fan base. Houston isn't going to support an expansion franchise... Putting an expansion team in Toronto... that'd work.