HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Post

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2003, 12:41 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Trading Post

A couple of items from Spector's got me thinking today:

MORE TRADES IN OILERS FUTURE?

EDMONTON SUN: Robin Brownlee reports Oilers GM Kevin Lowe may not be finished wheeling and dealing. With his club sinking fast in the standings, Brownlee reports Lowe doesn't intend to "stand pat" if the situation doesn't soon improve. While claiming he won't "mortgage the future", Lowe hinted he might be up for a deal that would be "outside the norm" for his club.

Spector's Note: That could mean shopping a major player on the club for a return of another major player, rather than an affordable prospect or draft pick. There's been speculation of late that defencemen Jason Smith or Eric Brewer might be available. As one of my readers pointed out recently, the contract haggling Lowe has faced with Smith in recent years could make him the prime candidate to be dealt in exchange for a scoring forward. If Smith were available and if Lowe was looking to move him to an Eastern club, there would be lots of interest (Maple Leafs, Lightning, Bruins, Canadiens, Rangers, Capitals.)

__________________________________________________ ___

The most likely Senator to be dealt before the March trade deadline is defenceman Shane Hnidy.

Spector's Note: He's my candidate too. Has been since last summer.

__________________________________________________ ___

I don't see the Sens as much as I'd like to, since all the networks would rather show Darcy Tucker eating a sandwich than an Ottawa game (there's one on right now, I don't think there were five promos run for the game all week).

Anyway, Hnidy is a very good defenseman, certainly able to play more minutes than the deep Ottawa team can give him.

Is he someone we might look at? Perhaps in a deal for Georges Laraque?

With regard to the Smith or Brewer rumors, well we've discussed Jason Smith at length here but it is interesting that the Spector's folks have suggested some eastern teams that might make an offer (Maple Leafs, Lightning, Bruins, Canadiens, Rangers, Capitals).

What would you like to see coming back from those teams? A brief glance at each has me kind of warming up to Nik Antropov (Leafs), Nick Boynton (Bruins) or Richard Zednik (Canadiens). Any of those would be attractive return.

Any other names from those clubs?

Old
12-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Yanner39

Hnidy is good but I'd rather give the a roster spot to Lynch or Woywitka. I think we could get more for Laraque than Hnidy, maybe Vermette although I don't know how Sens fans woulds feel about giving him up.

I'm interested in Antropov but not as much in his injury past.

Old
12-28-2003, 01:16 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Boston is in a terrible slide, and their GM is under the gun.

EXPLOIT IT!

Old
12-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Cujo_31

I think a Jason Smith for Vincent Lecavlier deal would be awesome for the Oilers..Lecavlier is yet again at odds with the head coach John Tortorella, & T-Bay's GM is solidly on the coaches side

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=65543&hubName=

& then we can use Georges Laraque to acquire a d-man.

what do you guys think?

Old
12-28-2003, 01:40 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Boston is in a terrible slide, and their GM is under the gun.

EXPLOIT IT!
good idea, but who would we possibly want from Boston? (excluding Boynton)

Old
12-28-2003, 01:58 PM
thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
I think a Jason Smith for Vincent Lecavlier deal would be awesome for the Oilers..Lecavlier is yet again at odds with the head coach John Tortorella, & T-Bay's GM is solidly on the coaches side

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=65543&hubName=

& then we can use Georges Laraque to acquire a d-man.

what do you guys think?

I have a real hard time believing that TB would give up Vinny for Smith. The Oil would have to give up much more....so much so that I don't really even want to fathom it....

Old
12-28-2003, 02:58 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
I have a real hard time believing that TB would give up Vinny for Smith. The Oil would have to give up much more....so much so that I don't really even want to fathom it....
well someone has to go in tampa - either vinny or the coach. seems to me the organization is currently more amped on torts than they are on vinny.

looks like lowe may have moved comrie one week too soon.

Old
12-28-2003, 04:25 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
well someone has to go in tampa - either vinny or the coach. seems to me the organization is currently more amped on torts than they are on vinny.

looks like lowe may have moved comrie one week too soon.
True but perhaps "baby brick" would have kicked and clawed with his lip out if he were traded to Tampa. He wasn't yet under contract.....so would have just became Tampas problem if it wasn't to baby bricks liking.

Closed Thread