HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Thread VIII

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 10:58 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
ATD CHAT Room (all OFF-topic posts, stuff not at all related to the sub-board)

Be chatty about today's NHL, things in society, your life, or any other comments you wish to make that ought not to clutter up the ATD sub-board threads.

Last edited by VanIslander: 03-26-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old
04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
seventieslord

ATD Chat Thread VIII

Hey, you know those "Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey" books I often quote? They ran from 1972-1988 and I have a full set. I met a guy looking to sell an almost complete set (1974-1988). They are a great ATD resource; the only place you can reliably get an annual objective report on any prominent 70s-80s player.

I put my set together for probably $250, piece by piece a few years ago. In doing so, I dried up the market; individual copies are now much harder to find. Piecing together a full set would take twice as much time and money now. But this guy will unload his for $150. They range from fair to mint. They are all intact except for one broken spine. anyone interested?

Old
04-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Hey, you know those "Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey" books I often quote? They ran from 1972-1988 and I have a full set. I met a guy looking to sell an almost complete set (1974-1988). They are a great ATD resource; the only place you can reliably get an annual objective report on any prominent 70s-80s player.

I put my set together for probably $250, piece by piece a few years ago. In doing so, I dried up the market; individual copies are now much harder to find. Piecing together a full set would take twice as much time and money now. But this guy will unload his for $150. They range from fair to mint. They are all intact except for one broken spine. anyone interested?
Yes!

Old
04-08-2013, 02:14 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Alexander Ovechkin is tied for 1st in goals and is 6th in points now. And as Oveckin goes, the Capitals go - what looked like a lottery team when he was sucking now looks like a decent bet to win the division.

Wow

Old
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Alexander Ovechkin is tied for 1st in goals and is 6th in points now. And as Oveckin goes, the Capitals go - what looked like a lottery team when he was sucking now looks like a decent bet to win the division. Wow
Agreed. Guys thought he was done for his career as far as being a great top 5 player. It will be fun to see the the OV vs Crosby debates for the Hart. Who do you guys think should win it?

Old
04-08-2013, 04:46 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Agreed. Guys thought he was done for his career as far as being a great top 5 player. It will be fun to see the the OV vs Crosby debates for the Hart. Who do you guys think should win it?
Crosby will garner a few votes, but bring out for the season he do not have any chance to win it (unfortunately, clearly the best player in the league). Ovechkin will be a serious contender if Washington make the playoffs, just like Henrik Lundqvist IMO

Old
04-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Dreakmur

If defensemen got votes, Ryan Suter and PK Subban should.

I think this season shows that Suter's game wasn't raised by Weber. In fact, it looks like it may have been the other way around.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post

I think this season shows that Suter's game wasn't raised by Weber. In fact, it looks like it may have been the other way around.
As some of us pointed out last year when people seriously thought weber should get a norris

Old
04-08-2013, 05:59 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

In a 48 game season, 9-10 games remaining is a lot. I think the Hart race will come down to the wire, but if Ovechkin can take #1 in goals outright and finish top 2 or 3 in points with his team continuing to win games, I think he becomes the favorite.

I assume most of the votes for the Lindsay are already in, and Crosby won it.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:00 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post

Yeah, defensemen don't have a prayer unless it's a really weak year for forwards, and I see several forwards doing too well for the writers to look to other positions.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:29 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
In a 48 game season, 9-10 games remaining is a lot. I think the Hart race will come down to the wire, but if Ovechkin can take #1 in goals outright and finish top 2 or 3 in points with his team continuing to win games, I think he becomes the favorite.

Wish PK Subban could be in contention for the Hart, without him the Montreal Canadiens would be 6th-7th in the East. If he can be the team point leader and Montreal finishing first in the division, I can see him receiving serious consideration, although not winning it.

When do players vote for the Lindsay? It would be a bit absurd to see Sidney Crosby winning it if he's not playing another game this regular season.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:33 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Wish PK Subban could be in contention for the Hart, without him the Montreal Canadiens would be 6th-7th in the East. If he can be the team point leader and Montreal finishing first in the division, I can see him receiving serious consideration, although not winning it.

When do players vote for the Lindsay? It would be a bit absurd to see Sidney Crosby winning it if he's not playing another game this regular season.
I think that during a normal year, they vote with 3-4 weeks remaining in the regular season. I'm not sure if it's any different during the shortened year, but my guess is that it isn't. Voting on an award is just not a big priority for players who are focused on fighting tooth and nail to make the playoffs.

Old
04-08-2013, 06:56 PM
DoMakc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post

nah, PK is selfish player who disrespects the best fans in the universe, cares only about money and Bergevin should have shipped his ass to Cincinnati Bengals, to where he belongs. That's what I was told 30 or so games ago...

Old
04-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Alexander Ovechkin is tied for 1st in goals and is 6th in points now. And as Oveckin goes, the Capitals go - what looked like a lottery team when he was sucking now looks like a decent bet to win the division.

Wow
I wonder if his sub-par play most of this season was just him learning how to play RW? Time will tell.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
I wonder if his sub-par play most of this season was just him learning how to play RW? Time will tell.
It's possible. Adam Oates is obsessed with playing right-handed shots on the right side - he's the reason Kovalchuk moved to RW in NJ - and Kovy definitely struggled big time at first.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 04-08-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Velociraptor

VanI what's with the bipolar username changes?

Old
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
seventieslord

Quote:

There's no way you get a hart trophy by sucking for half a season.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:29 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
There's no way you get a hart trophy by sucking for half a season.
Did Ovechkin suck for more games than Crosby DNP (assuming Crosby doesn't play again before the playoffs)?

Old
04-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Hawkey Town 18

10 or fewer games remaining in the season...who would you like to see your team play in the 1st round (realistic possibilities only)?

I would like to see the Hawks play Detroit.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
It's possible. Adam Oates is obsessed with playing right-handed shots on the right side - he's the reason Kovalchuk moved to RW in NJ - and Kovy definitely struggled big time at first.
He could be an ATDer. One well meaning GM suggested I play my def dman on his correct side. My off dman was already there on his correct side.

Quote:
10 or fewer games remaining in the season...who would you like to see your team play in the 1st round (realistic possibilities only)? I would like to see the Hawks play Detroit.
That would be awesome. Les Habs in the Finals or the Leafs in the playoffs would be exciting also.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Oates knows a thing or two about passing and shooting, so there has to be a reason. My guess is that he wants to make these guys more well-rounded players by giving them more passes on the forehand. One of Kovie's problems throughout his career is that he's always played the off-wing and he's not very good on the backhand, so he's rarely in a good position to pass. He is an extremely forehand dominant player. Oates probably figures that Kovie is a good enough shooter that he can get away with shooting from the tighter angles of an on-hand wing, and will pass better from the RW, and may even develop a backhand shot out of necessity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but moving to RW has helped Kovie to pass and use his teammates more, right? I have a pretty high opinion of Oates as a young coach. I think he's a very smart man who has big things ahead of him behind the bench.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Oates knows a thing or two about passing and shooting, so there has to be a reason. My guess is that he wants to make these guys more well-rounded players by giving them more passes on the forehand. One of Kovie's problems throughout his career is that he's always played the off-wing and he's not very good on the backhand, so he's rarely in a good position to pass. He is an extremely forehand dominant player. Oates probably figures that Kovie is a good enough shooter that he can get away with shooting from the tighter angles of an on-hand wing, and will pass better from the RW, and may even develop a backhand shot out of necessity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but moving to RW has helped Kovie to pass and use his teammates more, right? I have a pretty high opinion of Oates as a young coach. I think he's a very smart man who has big things ahead of him behind the bench.
The biggest change that shifting to RW did for Kovalchuk is that (once he got used to it), he became much more effective along the boards and defensively. I don't know if everyone realizes it, but not only was the Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk line the top scoring line of the team, but they were also deliberately matched head to head against the top lines of opponents... and went to the Cup finals that way. Kovalchuk was obviously the 3rd best member of the line defensively, but he still did his part.

I'm not sure how much it helped his passing because once the team starts to do things in the offensive zone, Kovy drifts towards LW anyway. Kovalchuk is such a frustrating player at times - he absolutely has the hands to be one of the truly elite playmakers in the league, and it's not uncommon for him to make tape-to-tape passes that defy logic - but he just doesn't have the vision to do it regularly. I've said before that if Kovy had Crosby's vision combined with his physical talents, that he'd easily be the best player in the league, but his vision is actually pretty poor for a superstar.

Anyway, back to what you asked - I think the main improvement in playing RW is that it helped make Kovalchuk a lot better defensively and along the boards, while only hurting his goal scoring a little bit. I'm honestly not sure about the passing though - but maybe you're right, in transition, Kovy is much more likely to pass to a teammate now rather than always trying to go end-to-end himself.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:

I'm interested but it looks like Dreak beat me to it.

Last edited by bluesfan94: 04-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
10 or fewer games remaining in the season...who would you like to see your team play in the 1st round (realistic possibilities only)?

I would like to see the Hawks play Detroit.
I'd like to see Dallas play anyone, really.

We're a horrible matchup for Chicago - likely to get swept - but I don't care. Been too long since I watched Dallas play a meaningful game in late April.

04-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
That would be awesome. Les Habs in the Finals or the Leafs in the playoffs would be exciting also.
If the season ended right now, all the O6 teams would be playing another O6 team in the first round. That would be pretty cool, but there's still a lot of games to be played, and that will likely change.

Closed Thread