HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft 2013

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 11:55 PM
LandofLincoln

vCash: 500
Jordan Subban ok he is a goalie prospect I would be happy with.... I don't want to go after a goalie in the first round even if he is a top three goalie. I say trade down and take the best available goalie mid second round and pick up another pick.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:05 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Jordan Subban ok he is a goalie prospect I would be happy with.... I don't want to go after a goalie in the first round even if he is a top three goalie. I say trade down and take the best available goalie mid second round and pick up another pick.
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Malcolm.

I am entirely and wholly against ever drafting a goalie before the fifth round, but that's just me. Guys like Jaroslav Halak, Brian Elliot, Khudobin and Rinne are all late round fliers like Brandon Whitney. Couple that with the market damn near always being full of starters or potential starters and it feels like a wasted shot in the dark that the NHL draft is.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:07 AM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post

I am entirely and wholly against ever drafting a goalie before the fifth round, but that's just me. Guys like Jaroslav Halak, Brian Elliot, Khudobin and Rinne are all late round fliers like Brandon Whitney. Couple that with the market damn near always being full of starters or potential starters and it feels like a wasted shot in the dark that the NHL draft is.
Thanks for the correction. I looked up Jordan and didn't realize there was another Subban. Bruins drafted goalie Malcolm Subban last year #24 just looked it up. So is there just three Subban brothers or are there more? lol

I like the drafting of the goalies after the 5th round. You made a good case at naming all of those good gtenders picked late. I think taking a goalie in the 3rd round would be ok with me. However, it is a poor risk to take a goalie in the second round and taking a goalie in the first round is lunacy.

Last edited by LandofLincoln: 03-04-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old
03-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:

You put Khudobin on this list but not the current Vezina holder?

Old
03-04-2013, 05:13 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
You put Khudobin on this list but not the current Vezina holder?

The list was far from all inclusive

Old
03-21-2013, 02:53 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I get a feeling we should take a Center every ****ing year in the Draft... just look at the good Cs in the NHL and look what teams drafted them.

Getzlaf
Sedin
Kesler
Tavares
Stamkos
Toews
Colorados 3
Benn
Staal
Crosby
Malkin
Giroux
Plekanec
Backstrom
Bergeron
Seguin
Spezza
Koivu

and many more.
Just look at how many good ones make it to Free Agency or get traded. That's only a handful. You need to draft them.

Wingers get moved many many more times, same with D and Goalies.

I say we should go with Center unless a player falls to us like last year Teräväinen did

Old
03-21-2013, 05:47 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

All of those players are 1st line centres though. Chicago has a franchise centre in Toews. 2nd line centres move around far more often.

I agree though, you can never had too many centres or Dmen.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:11 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Best position player available. Don't take a goalie til the 5th round.
I like this plan.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:42 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
All of those players are 1st line centres though. Chicago has a franchise centre in Toews. 2nd line centres move around far more often.

I agree though, you can never had too many centres or Dmen.
yes, they do move more but it's still not many of them changing teams. Good Centers stay with their teams.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:07 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Time to turn out attention to this.

Maybe someone can correct me...but i think NJ is giving up its draft pick this yr...so we're picking 29th at the worst??

In any event...assume we're picking 26th or later.

IMO - unless we trade into the top 10 (leaving aside how we'd do it)...i think we'll just end up picking where we're slotted.

i've seen some draft lists projecting we'll go w/ Fucale - i have to say, as much as a i like the guy i'm not supportive of that pick in light of the fact we have no second round pick. ... i would not be happy to see us go w/ a goalie in the first round, with no second round pick.

I find this draft interesting b/c it looks like you've got a top 10 (or top 12) with the same players mixed into various combinations...and then about 20-30 guys post-top 10 who will go in various combinations (although obviously some of them are higher ranked than others).

With that said...if we're picking late in the first round there are a few guys who might do an *unlikely* drop to us who i'd love to see available and some guys who might be (or *should be*) available i think we should consider. they include (in NO particular order): Bo Horvat, Alex Wennberg, Andre Burakowsky, Adam Erne, Kerby Rychel, Curtis Lazar, Jacob De La Rose, J.T. Compher, and Robert Hagg.

just putting an early list out there.

what are you own thoughts?

Old
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

If by some act of god he falls to us, which I've seen in a number of drafts, I'd love Morrissey. The kid's amazing. If not, a guy like Erne, Rychel, or Gauthier would be nice.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:22 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Yeah, if Morrissey somehow falls that far, Chicago would be all over him. I doubt it though.

I'd be good with any of Hagg, Compher, Zykov, Burakovsky or Lehkonen if we're picking 26th or later.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:24 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Wasn't Lazar a top 5-10 projected pick at the beginning of the year.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:27 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Indeed he was. He didn't produce as much as scouts thought he would, after posting 19 points in 20 games for Edmonton in the WHL playoffs last season.

IMO, he'll still go in the top-25. If he falls to Chicago, that's another guy I'd like to take.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:38 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Indeed he was. He didn't produce as much as scouts thought he would, after posting 19 points in 20 games for Edmonton in the WHL playoffs last season.

IMO, he'll still go in the top-25. If he falls to Chicago, that's another guy I'd like to take.
hoss...you're in london, no? (or at least you're also a fellow knights fan?). one thing i've notice (and this is probably pure fantasy on my part) is that while zadorov is highly ranked on some draft lists - he hasn't made the top 30 on others.

i figured he's top 10, at worst top 15...but is there any chance we get him late 1st?

Old
04-09-2013, 12:40 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
yeah. lazar is a great player...but i'd put him "prospect-wise" in the same category as danault/mcneill - which means that imo he's a solid 1st (i would give him more credit than others have)...but a guy who would give us the same as we currently have.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Sevanston

Merged this into another 2013 Draft thread we had going a while back

I'm not even sure what I want Stana Claus to bring the Hawks farm for Christmas in late June anymore. I'm not seeing any huge holes in our system anymore.

I'll just stick with the bland response of BPA.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:43 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
hoss...you're in london, no? (or at least you're also a fellow knights fan?). one thing i've notice (and this is probably pure fantasy on my part) is that while zadorov is highly ranked on some draft lists - he hasn't made the top 30 on others.

i figured he's top 10, at worst top 15...but is there any chance we get him late 1st?
That's a tough one. There's likely a team in the top-20 that will, at the very least, fall in love with his size. It'd be a real stretch, for me anyways, to suggest he could be around in the last 20s.

He's 6'5", 230lbs, is good for at least one devastating hit a game (in the ones I watched) and for a guy his size, can skate very well and handle the puck well too.

Personally, I question his hockey sense at times, but there's no denying he has the physical tools to be one of the nastiest Dmen in the NHL. I'd take him if he's available, but again, I doubt he will be.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:15 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
That's a tough one. There's likely a team in the top-20 that will, at the very least, fall in love with his size. It'd be a real stretch, for me anyways, to suggest he could be around in the last 20s.

He's 6'5", 230lbs, is good for at least one devastating hit a game (in the ones I watched) and for a guy his size, can skate very well and handle the puck well too.

Personally, I question his hockey sense at times, but there's no denying he has the physical tools to be one of the nastiest Dmen in the NHL. I'd take him if he's available, but again, I doubt he will be.
assuming we're picking at the end of the round i'd just swing for the fences and grab the player with the most high end/elite skills available and ignore the downside.

ugh..i keep on going back and forth w/ fucale. now i'm thinking if he's still around just take him.

unless someone falls big time...i'd rather strike out on a potentially elite goalie...than grab a player at 29/30 who's essentially the same guy you'd get in the 3rd round.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:46 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

no more Draft talk until we are out of the POs...

Old
04-09-2013, 02:23 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
assuming we're picking at the end of the round i'd just swing for the fences and grab the player with the most high end/elite skills available and ignore the downside.

ugh..i keep on going back and forth w/ fucale. now i'm thinking if he's still around just take him.

unless someone falls big time...i'd rather strike out on a potentially elite goalie...than grab a player at 29/30 who's essentially the same guy you'd get in the 3rd round.
Even those potentially elite goalies seem to be pretty good trade bait for a couple years just because of the "potential." Forwards with a few bad years in the system can be scoffed at, Dmen get a little more time and goalies seem to garner the most patience. Definitely not a bad idea.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:34 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
no more Draft talk until we are out of the POs...
wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Even those potentially elite goalies seem to be pretty good trade bait for a couple years just because of the "potential." Forwards with a few bad years in the system can be scoffed at, Dmen get a little more time and goalies seem to garner the most patience. Definitely not a bad idea.
i'll admit - last year i was banging on that we should take subban - although i had teravainen ranked higher so i was satisfied

leaving fucale aside - i've got my fingers crossed that zadorov drops in the first rather than being taken top 10. that aside, i screen-capped a bunch of draft lists from favious sources and now am too lazy to upload anything

on the upside...picking as late as we are...we don't have to worry about anyone on the board freaking about the pick!

Old
04-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Like with the Bears, I might think about trading down as a good option.

If not, I want them to take a natural Center

Old
04-09-2013, 08:35 AM
xX Hot Fuss

We need a high end goalie/Dman prospect. Draft one of those mr. Bowman

Old
04-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I don't get the whole, don't draft a goalie thing. Sure often times high goalies picks don't work out but it's the same thing for every position. Go to any draft, and in the 1st round of all of them minus a few only a few of those guys become impact NHL players it's the nature of the thing. Just like with goalies there are 5th round + players who become great players.

Fact is Chicago needs another F prospect, especially winger, like they need a hole in the head. They already have too many. Draft a G because the Hawks haven' had a stud goalie since Belfour or a good D prospect and fill out the farm system with a full team and not 29 forwards and 2 D-men.

Closed Thread