HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Jersey types in Pick-up games

Old
08-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

vCash: 500
Jersey types in Pick-up games

I just wanted to get some opinions here on a topic that we've been discussing recently. Whenever I go to local pick-up games, the majority of the players, young and old, wear either basic one-color "practice' jerseys, or some form of local rec-league or school jersey. It seems like people are careful not to wear NHL or minor league jerseys.

I'd even go so far as to say that players that wear an NHL team jersey or National team jersey get the old "look at this guy.." treatment.

I like to wear my Rangers jersey to play in, but whenever I do, I get a weird vibe from the locals.

Any opinions?

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 12:15 PM
KariyaIsGod*

I wear my Sabre jersey and I havn't noticed this vibe at all. Perhaps it exists and I simply am totally oblivious to it but I'm not sure. Something to look out for next time I suppose.

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Malefic74

As long as you're no the loser who wears #69 it's all good.

Seriously though I don't have an opinion either way. I wear a practice jersey simply because I fin d that it breathes better and I don't get as hot. Also I don't want any puck marks on my NHL jerseys as I am a goalie. I have seen a few guys in pick-up wearing pro style jerseys, but not many.

Best one yet: A guy wearing an old CCCP uni with Larionov on the back. He was the oldest guy on the ice that day and easily the best. Though definately not the fastest.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Heat McManus

I don't care what you wear as long as you bring both light and dark jerseys. And for Chuck's sake, try to be on time.

I wore an old roller hockey jersey or a HC Kocise Bondra jersey most of the time.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74 View Post
A guy wearing an old CCCP uni with Larionov on the back. He was the oldest guy on the ice that day and easily the best. Though definately not the fastest.
Maybe it was actually Larionov.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 01:34 PM
VisionQuest*

this is the only pickup I skate out in; http://www.socalicehockey.com/Default.htm

jerseys are provided.

any other pickup, and Im probably in net, where my jersey is inconsequential.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Goalie_Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
I don't care what you wear as long as you bring both light and dark jerseys.
I second that. I don't know why people can't remember this but it seems to be an issue.

I have a few pro jerseys and I never wear them while playing, for a couple of reasons. Personally, I'd feel like a dumba$$ if I showed up in a Richter jersey and then stunk up the joint. Also, for the amount of money they cost me, I don't want to wear them while being bombarded with pucks. A cheap practice jersey works just fine for me. I couldn't care less if someone else wore a pro jersey though.

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Hugh Madbrough

This made me laugh. I wore a NHL jersey to a local pickup and I was immediately an outcast. It was "uncool". I bring a white and a dark and wear whatever.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

I wear mainly old jerseys from my college and rec-league days, but that's just because I have so many of them.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 03:53 PM
stick9

I like being able to wear whatever jersey I want. Seriously, if I am going to be outcast for wearing a certain jersey. Then it's not the kind of group I want to skate with. Who cares as long as you bring a lite and a dark, right...

If I got flack for having a certain jersey I'd probably come back the following week with matching socks.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Maybe it was actually Larionov.
If it was I'm a lot better than I thought I was.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Jacob

I make fun of the guys that can barely play but come decked out in lettered-NHL jerseys and matching socks/gloves.

But if you're decent it doesn't matter.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Biggsy

I usually wear whatever jersey i grab some team jerseys or just a Kelowna practise Jersey

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Jeffw-13

Lately I've been wearing my beer league uni at pick up only because it's already in my bag and the jersey is comfy.

Before that I brought white & black Penguins practice jerseys.

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I wear a white B's jersey, and I don't get the weird vibe. Guys wear NHL, college, AHL jerseys all the time. Dressup is fun.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Zelepukin Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
I just wanted to get some opinions here on a topic that we've been discussing recently. Whenever I go to local pick-up games, the majority of the players, young and old, wear either basic one-color "practice' jerseys, or some form of local rec-league or school jersey. It seems like people are careful not to wear NHL or minor league jerseys.

I'd even go so far as to say that players that wear an NHL team jersey or National team jersey get the old "look at this guy.." treatment.

I like to wear my Rangers jersey to play in, but whenever I do, I get a weird vibe from the locals.

Any opinions?
I'd make everybody watch the hockey game in Clerks and then wear whatever I felt like.

Zelepukin Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Oilerfan120582

That's strange. Maybe it is an American/Canadian thing, but when I play shinny with my friends or at the local outdoor rink in the winter the majority of people wear an NHL or national team jersey.

Oilerfan120582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 06:02 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

People here don't care what you wear. As long as it's not some idiot wearing the number 69 or 99.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Hugh Madbrough

I have noticed one thing though. Anyone wearing a personalized jersey normally stinks. I had the joy of skating with Jagr and Bure tonight....shocking that they were the two worst skaters there.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Default101

i woudln't ever wear my NHL jersies to the rink simply becasue i wouldn't want them to get messed up from actually playing in them, i have a team Canada, Pittsburgh Penguin and Minnesota Wild Jersey the only time i wear them out is at college, or occasionally goin out to the bar, or just as a sweatshirt somewhere that i know it won't get messed up, usually just wear jersies from old leagues when ia ctually play.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 10:08 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Gal View Post
I second that. I don't know why people can't remember this but it seems to be an issue.

I have a few pro jerseys and I never wear them while playing, for a couple of reasons. . . Also, for the amount of money they cost me, I don't want to wear them while being bombarded with pucks. A cheap practice jersey works just fine for me.
Plus, there's that wonderful "hockey smell" that gets into them and never leaves. If you're playing with friends I don't expect there would be a problem. If you're joining a bunch of guys you don't know but have played with each other for awhile they might think you're putting on airs -- either by wearing an expensive jersey or, like others have said, by comparing yourself to a pro player. If you feel the need to explain yourself you could say that all your practice jerseys smell like a s s.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
i woudln't ever wear my NHL jersies to the rink simply becasue i wouldn't want them to get messed up from actually playing in them, i have a team Canada, Pittsburgh Penguin and Minnesota Wild Jersey the only time i wear them out is at college, or occasionally goin out to the bar, or just as a sweatshirt somewhere that i know it won't get messed up, usually just wear jersies from old leagues when ia ctually play.

I'd rather have blood on a hockey jersey than beer.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I bought a white B's jersey to exclusively wear at pickups. I don't mind if it gets beat up, hockey jerseys were made to be rocked on the ice.

Besides, it adds character to the jersey.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 01:11 AM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Cheap!

I have an old beat up Pens sweater I wear to drop ins and the like. It's about 10 years old, no one's going to bash me for wearing that thing.

I really don't care what you wear so long as I can tell what team you're on.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 11:47 AM
jiggs 10

I wear both, but I agree if you wear a PERSONALIZED NHL jersey, you'd better be pretty darn good. And that never seems to be the case. I guess it's the "cool" thing to wear old tattered practice jerseys (I know I do) from other leagues or camps you have been in. I will, however, sometimes wear an old NHL jersey, but only after I've had it quite a long time. They are heavy and hot, plus they are too expensive to get cut up in a $5 a night rental or pick-up game! I know a lot of the guys on my beer league team just wear our jersey for every skate (imagine how our locker room smells about March!), no matter who we are playing.

I second bringing both white and dark jerseys at all times. Come on, mesh practice jerseys costs $10! Go buy a black or navy blue one and just leave it in your bag! Nothing like playing with a group and having to remember that one guy in red is on YOUR team, but the yellow guy is on the OTHER team! And so on. Good thing I usually have 3 or 4 jerseys of various colors in my bag.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote