HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART VII

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
He's played like this all year. Also still slow as molasses. Don't believe everything you read, the 'soft' labels and 'skates well for a big man' stuff are outdated and just recycled in nearly every scouting report you will read about him.

Happens to every player, those are just glaring examples for Reinhart.
Too bad Griff doesn't skate like somewhat like his dad Paul (for those old enough to have seen him, one of the really great skaters). Don't ask why they say he's soft but a good skater. The good news it shouldn't be fatal, with some time a little hard work, he should be just fine.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 04-07-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Quethas

Send a message via MSN to Quethas
Mikko Koskinen signed two-year-contract with Espoo Blues in SM-liiga. So basically he returns to the club where he played when he was drafted.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:33 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
This may sound silly, however, would anyone be opposed to sending Lee to the Bridge and calling up Nelson. I mean the kid just looks like he is over matching everyone in the minors. Lee looks hesitant (which is expected) and might be more of a liability than an asset.

Don't get me wrong I love Anders. I am probably getting my next jersey with lee on the back. However, Nelson is just off the charts IMO. Could end up being the stamp on Snows draft legacy with the Islanders.

P.s. How expensive would it be for a Strome sound tigers jersey?
perhaps ullstrom would be better suited? he is coming back up after his conditioning stint anyways, right? i watched ullstrom yesterday and he did show a lot of jump. However he is still trying to dangle too much, but thats a coaching issue that can be taken care of on the island (upps cappy). I would love to see a better decision-making ullstrom.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:36 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quethas View Post
Mikko Koskinen signed two-year-contract with Espoo Blues in SM-liiga. So basically he returns to the club where he played when he was drafted.
we'll need another backup for the bridge for next year...

Old
04-08-2013, 08:51 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
I wouldn't say Griff is slow as molasses, he covers so much ground with each stride. I don't think anyone here is expecting him to skate like Coburn or Bouwmeester.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
we'll need another backup for the bridge for next year...
Why, is one of Nabokov, DiPietro, Poulin or Nilsson going somewhere?

If so you can always bring back Reiter as he has looked okay for an ahl backup or sign/draft that kid on Barrie M. Niederberger that I have been talking about. He's 20 years old an could jump right in if needed.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:30 PM
periferal

Quote:
He's played like this all year. Also still slow as molasses. Don't believe everything you read, the 'soft' labels and 'skates well for a big man' stuff are outdated and just recycled in nearly every scouting report you will read about him.

Happens to every player, those are just glaring examples for Reinhart.

So are you saying you like Reinhart or think he's overrated?

Old
04-08-2013, 01:09 PM
bluechipbonzo

Don't discount the possibility of an out-clause in Mikko's contract. If the Islanders move a goalie at the draft and Mikko was told he would be the number one for BST, that might be enough to entice him back. At the end of the day, Mikko can develop in Finland as far as I'm concerned. Bring him over later.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:19 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1118
Someone posted Kabanov's having trouble with the nerves, in his surgically repaired arm. Has anyone read or heard anything?

Old
04-08-2013, 04:03 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
So are you saying you like Reinhart or think he's overrated?
With the comments I made above I am not saying either. Just trying to make the point not to rely too much on internet scouting reports that are often outdated and recycled by writers that don't do not get to see the player much, if at all.

My thoughts on Reinhart are as follows: Improvement on his speed/skating will unlock his full potential. I am not saying he has to skate like Paul Coffey or even Jay Bouwmester. But he needs to improve, even with excellent positioning and great instincts and long reach his slow feet allow players to get around him at times in certain situations and that's in the WHL. He could get eaten alive in the NHL without the necessary improvements.

He is still 19, I feel like he will make those improvements. Perhaps a bit behind schedule in my book, as I thought he would make some strides in that area this season and perhaps challenge for a spot out of camp next season. I don't think that's an option at this point unless he has the off-season of all off-seasons. I see Reinhart back in the WHL next year and hopefully he improves the footwork. After that is anyone's guess, maybe Bridgeport, Maybe not. Next season will tell us a lot and where he goes from there.

Also on the positive side, he is a lot more physical than most give him credit for, and he's very strong especially for just 205 lbs. As he grows he should get stronger. SidneyTheKidney compared him to a young Marc Staal, and I think thats a good comparison to shoot for, but even the Staal isn't an extraordinary skater, Reinhart still needs to make up a lot of ground just to get to Staals level. I feel like Reinhart is just as smart as Staal and his shot is a lot harder and better than Staals at the same age. I feel like Reinhart really could be a meaner Alex Edler if everything goes right. But it is going to take time.

So I still do like what Reinhart can be, and think he will get there, just not as quickly as most thought/think.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
boredmale

Quote:
So I still do like what Reinhart can be, and think he will get there, just not as quickly as most thought/think.
I think most of us realized Reinhart would spend 2 years in junior. My only fear was the Islanders would rush him for his caphit

Old
04-08-2013, 04:19 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I think most of us realized Reinhart would spend 2 years in junior. My only fear was the Islanders would rush him for his caphit
You'd hope they'd learn their lesson with rushing prospects. I think he only makes the team if he's a top 4 defenseman in camp. I can't fault the team if he plays in the NHL if he earns it. Donovan is ahead of him on the depth chart. I think the defense is pretty much laid out for next season anyways, barring some moves.

If Streit isn't re-signed I can see it panning out like this.

Visnovsky- Donovan/UFA/ Acquired via trade
Hamonic-MacDonald
Strait-Carkner
Hickey

Old
04-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Degeneration Rex

My take on Reinhart,
As ITM says do not believe most of what you read. Reinhart is not soft but he does have to work on his skating. Some will be taken care of by time. He is listed at 6' 4 but he does look taller from the posted highlights. Most kids with that build, time is the best thing you can give him. Yes he needs to and must work but just time is important.

Example, first I want to point out this is not comparing Reinhart to Alex Pietrangelo. As an 18 year old the Blues played him 9 games and sent him back to junior. They did the same thing as a 19 year old. That extra time and some work, well look at the player that Pieterangelo has become.

The extra year of junior was a benefit to Strome, thought after his draft year there wasn't as much improvement as possibly hoped for. This year, faster, stronger and a more complete player. He looks good at Bridgeport so far, will he be ready next year, too early to call. Strome is getting closer and that is what we wanted to see.

No need to rush big Griff, thanks to no more phony bonuses and some help from unexpected souces. Stait and Hickey look like they can play. Hammer and A Mac have been much better lately. Viz has fit in nicely. If Streit does not come back, Donovan appears ready. Martinek and Finley can be the fill ins again. Donovan should be the first of a strong pipeline.

Bottom line give Reinhart the proper development time. I usually do not make long posts but I wanted to get my two cents in, which is why we post here.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 04-08-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 05:46 PM
chris3488

Trade!!

We can not keep everyone sooner or later down the line a big trade will have to be done?

Old
04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Someone posted Kabanov's having trouble with the nerves, in his surgically repaired arm. Has anyone read or heard anything?
Can you link me to said post?

Old
04-08-2013, 10:34 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
The bolded are problems, but I think they actually make inserting a skilled rookie easier, ie., there really won't be much dropoff from what the current guys are doing.

My biggest problem with the 1st line is actually that JT does ALL the work, including creating offense, and the other two guys benefit from JT. I'd like to see JT get some help and play with guys who create time and space for him. I'd do:

Martin - JT - Strome

That's a nice combo, IMO. Martin might not have 1st line skill at this point in his career, but his hitting and physical presence would create time and space for the other 2 guys, and he'd keep opposing players honest with the Franchise and the Kid. IF Strome keeps showing high end offense in the AHL for the upcoming stretch I'd consider giving him a chance to do that with JT.

I think Strome would have an easier adjustment, and stand less chance of getting creamed, at RW with JT than if he were centering the 2nd line.
We complain about moulson at times being on the 1st line and people want to put Martin on the first line. Martin on the first line is a joke and never going to happen. Wtf is wrong with everyone thinking he should be on the first line

Old
04-08-2013, 10:51 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
Phrasing, 1st, BOOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
We complain about moulson at times being on the 1st line and people want to put Martin on the first line. Martin on the first line is a joke and never going to happen. Wtf is wrong with everyone thinking he should be on the first line
I figured it could be worth a peek since he doesn't have a bad pair of hands and both Moulson and Boyes on the top line are redundant. I couldn't hurt to have someone there who can disrupt things with a some force, which is something not found in the repertoire of either designated 1st line winger.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:15 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Has Reinhart ever commented on his actions? Looking at the video it's hard to think anything, but he was frustrated and intended to swing at the other guy.

"As I explained in my review today, as I was tripping I kind of lost balance and my stick rode up his stick and made accidental contact to the head," Reinhart explained. "The referees on the play thought it was a two-minute penalty, a two-minute minor, and I agreed with that.

"The suspension of four games is definitely a bit of a shock to me, but (there's) nothing I can do about right now."

Old
04-08-2013, 11:24 PM
luki here

Quote:
Why, is one of Nabokov, DiPietro, Poulin or Nilsson going somewhere?

If so you can always bring back Reiter as he has looked okay for an ahl backup or sign/draft that kid on Barrie M. Niederberger that I have been talking about. He's 20 years old an could jump right in if needed.
We were posting about this a couple days back. Do you think its unreasonable that dp is bought out? Do you think wang is looking to sell before dp is bought out?

Old
04-09-2013, 12:06 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
I figured it could be worth a peek since he doesn't have a bad pair of hands and both Moulson and Boyes on the top line are redundant. I couldn't hurt to have someone there who can disrupt things with a some force, which is something not found in the repertoire of either designated 1st line winger.
Wasn't pointing u out I see it a lot. But hey that's just my opinion on the situation. It would make the line more aggressive but at the same time it would make them less lethal

Old
04-09-2013, 12:14 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Wasn't pointing u out I see it a lot. But hey that's just my opinion on the situation. It would make the line more aggressive but at the same time it would make them less lethal
No offense, but Brad Boyes and Matt Moulson should never be mentioned in the same sentence as "lethal", unless maybe you're saying, "I'd prefer a lethal injection to watching Brad Boyes and Matt Moulson play on my team's 1st line."

Old
04-09-2013, 12:21 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
The joke is Moulson and Boyes being on the 1st line. The joke is having JT play with no protection whatsoever. The bigger joke would be having JT and Strome playing with no protection.

Long-term there should be other options, but assuming there are not major UFA or trade acquisitions I think for the next year or so Martin would be an option to play with JT. and create some space for him The 1st line doesn't have to be your 3 best forwards.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:32 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
The top line is missing a power forward and everyone is searching the roster for one to stick there. Martin is the closest we have, so naturally he gets inserted. I am a huge fan of Matty Marts, but what he is doing on his hybrid checking/energy/scoring unit may be more beneficial than putting him with two other snake bit players, one of whom is a lazy cherry picker. I wouldn't call it a joke though, as he is inching his way towards that position. What is a joke is Boyes on that line but that's no surprise to me, as I called it a joke in the summer.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:38 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quethas View Post
What a waste of a VERY HIGH second round pick. Snow and co really blew that one. Could have had Ryan O'Reilly, Jacob Silfverberg, Robin Lehner, Stefan Elliot, Richard Panik, Dmitri Orlov, etc. All of which were rated more highly. You CAN NOT blow a pick like that HOPING to hit a home run. The Detroits of the world have that luxury where they can try that.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:39 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I said it, before I saw Joensuu and Lee. Even with Lee. JJ is the guy right now. Martin CAN play 1st line wing, yes, but he's neck and neck with MacDonald for a physical winger with talent. That puts him behind a more refined Lee and well behind what Joensuu brought his first game.

So the things have changed since MM was suggested. But I maintain he COULD play with Tavares if need be. Better in many games than Boyes or Grabner for what the line needs - defense, physical element and protection as well as scoring ability.

Closed Thread